• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

knitoe

Can't wait for 4K über settings with Gameworks. Although, I wish there was a settings, like in Witcher 2 at launch, that made PCs cry when enable.

M0G

The day is almost upon us :) Now I get to try justify blowing the money I didn't have on two 980s, that I "so desperately needed" for this and GTA V. Fingers crossed they're ready for ubersampling/dsr and whatever it takes to get the most out of this.

viveks86

Can't wait for 4K über settings with Gameworks. Although, I wish there was a settings, like in Witcher 2 at launch, that made PCs cry when enable.

It's still there. You just need to change it directly in the ini file (assuming they haven't hard locked it in the code)

SliChillax

Wasn't ubersampling just a fancy way of saying a shit ton of AA lol? All games with all kinds of setups will cry if you apply tons of AA, especially at higher res when it isn't as much needed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ubersampling was just supersampling and you could enable that with DSR.

Renekton

Why get the PS4 version if you can't hit 60fps? You could just run the PC version at higher settings than what the PS4 offers and lock it to 30fps...
Depends if the frame-pacing (with afterburner / driver force) is even or not. If it's janksville, there is a decision point.

Depends if the frame-pacing (with afterburner / driver force) is even or not. If it's janksville, there is a decision point.
There are pretty bad frame pacing issues on the console versions so...lol. No clue if that will be fixed at launch or not though.

Also there is FPS lock directly in game, no need for external programs.

Renekton

Digital Foundry, if you are somehow reading this, please test with your console-beater i3/750Ti :)

There are pretty bad frame pacing issues on the console versions so...lol. No clue if that will be fixed at launch or not though.

Also there is FPS lock directly in game, no need for external programs.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

I too would love to safely lock 30fps to TV without fiddling with afterburner/radeonpro

knitoe

The PC load times are blowing my mind. It's almost 6-10x faster than PS4!

Not surprising. Console are optimized for slow ass stock HDD. Adding a faster one doesn't make a big difference. For PS4, I went from stock 500GB > 1TB 7200RPM > 512GB SSD.

Lum1n3s

Pretty sure I'll be fine playing this, I have a Gigabyte GHZ 780 TI and a OC 4770K. I'm also sure everyone else will be fine playing the game with a decent setup.

M0G

Ubersampling was just supersampling and you could enable that with DSR.

I'm hoping the method somehow works better than straight up downsampling though as I still don't find amazing results while using DSR or custom resolutions. I should imagine combining the two would just be ridiculous resource-wise.

quesalupa

I think you might--they've said its not super CPU intensive.
Oh, sweet! Yeah I saw in comparison that it's pretty comparable with the 2500k, with the 2500k winning only by a little, but I wasn't sure if the cores would play into the performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Okay so will my 2500k, 8gb, 560ti actually run this? Don't mind low settings as they tend to look reasonable these days.

Or should I wait to buy it on PS4 (when I get one)?

Ill give ya an idea of what to expect.
On GTX5xx i dont expect 60fps to be an option at all....lowest settings you could probably lock 30, maybe play around with some of the less GPU intensive options and get the game atleast looking nice.

Pretty much all my buddies are getting this game, so ill see what how PS4 vs XBO vs Old PC matchup.

If a GTX5xx can reach PS4 fidelity at a locked 30,Ill be more than happy.

Gaz_RB

So far I've been pretty disappointed with my 760>>960 upgrade (if I can even call it an upgrade). It was an impulse buy and I should have done more research--if I had I would have gone with the 970 and actually gotten a decent power increase. Either way I hope it handles the Witcher 3 without any hiccups. After playing the stuttery/modded mess that is Skyrim all week, it will definitely be a step up.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So excited. Upgraded from a 6950 Dirt Edition to SLI 970 FTW's for this game.

Combined with my i7 3770k, 16gb ram, and SSD, I am ready for this game.

Can't wait to see what kind of performance I cam squeeze out of it.

Anon67

GTX 660 here with some kind of i7 processor. Will report results once the time comes.

I reverted back to an older NVIDIA driver and I think I've found an optimal setup for 1080p30FPS for the GTX 660. I need to do some tests in certain areas, but from what I can tell, FPS drops only whenever I go near fire.

It's a mix of high+ultra settings + low foliage distance. I'll describe it later. "Full" report will arrive soon.

You have an AMD card which are notorious for performing horribly in games that support Nvidia Gameworks. There is no point in asking when we have no idea. Yes you will be able to play the game with that setup, how well we don't know.

Maybe someone has gotten an early copy and played it with an AMD card. Some people were streaming it today. The poster was just asking. After all this is the performance thread and not everyone has been following this game and it's performance as closely as others have

I have an i5 2400/7870XT(Tahiti LE) OC. I was able to run GTA5 at high + very high textures and still maintain close to 60fps. My goal with TW3 is Very High @30fps and have no doubt I will meet it.

ekim

Gtx 970 and i7 4790k. I hope I can run it at uber settings at 1080p and gameworks. 30 fps are enough

I will be testing it on my i5 2500k/GTX 570/8GB Ram. I have a GTX 960 on its way but its not being delivered till the end of the week.

I am anticipating it will run, but I am wondering how well the GTX 570 will be able to handle everything.

Rezbit

Ill give ya an idea of what to expect.
On GTX5xx i dont expect 60fps to be an option at all....lowest settings you could probably lock 30, maybe play around with some of the less GPU intensive options and get the game atleast looking nice.

Pretty much all my buddies are getting this game, so ill see what how PS4 vs XBO vs Old PC matchup.

If a GTX5xx can reach PS4 fidelity at a locked 30,Ill be more than happy.

Yeah I'll be running at 1080p, so honestly if I can have a locked 30fps on on low settings with maybe textures medium I'll be happy enough. Might not look quite as good as the PS4 version but should still be alright.

Spazznid

I'll be trying it out on my Windows 10 partition as well. Since W10 drivers just hit WQHL cert a couple days ago I expect to see a gameready for TW3 tomorrow with the rest of 'em.

Maybe, or perhaps the witcher changes are already in ours.

I have a 980.. and don't want to upgrade to a Titan X. But I'm also trying to run 4k @ 30fps with reasonable settings. I will customize, but I need the 4k gaming first and foremost.

Top Bottom