• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Ha… DansGaming is not able to max the game out with 780 SLI and maintain 60. After the secret driver update, he has everything up except foliage view distance at "High". This is at 1080p. He is expecting a day 1 patch though

Awesome news. I'm hoping my 780 gives me good 1080p/60fps performance.

If it means anything to anyone, my intention is to play the prologue sequence, the start of White Orchard, and then try some ini/cfg tinkering before really sinking into the game. So I should have some preliminary tweak results an hour or so after the game goes live.

What are you running now? Didn't you have a 580 back in the day for W2?

big_z

have they said what the recommended specs translate to in game settings?

NVidia says a 670gtx and 3770k is below requirements which is what I have.

i7-3930k @ 4.4
2x 7970 oc maxed
24GB RAM
Running from my game specific SSD.

Hoping for fully maxed settings and some suitable INI tweaks and I'll be gutted if hairworks doesn't work. Hoping for 60fps.

Processor has twelve threads so that's certainly going to be useful in this core threaded game.

I don't know whether I believe in the "downgrade" crap or not but I'm torn as to whether I am happy or sad about it because if it was downgraded then I can run it on my system and not have to upgrade yet which I don't want to do yet or rather be able to play it for a second time looking better in a years time.

Edit: Linking this thread from the OT now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm on a
FX6300 @ 3.5Ghz (gonna overclock it to 4.5 in the coming weeks, just need a better cooler and the chips OC well)
R9 280X 3gB
4gB of ram (lol)

I'll need better ram for the OC anyway so I'll be upgrading that to 8gB when I buy the new heatsink/fan. I just hope that OC to 4.5 is enough for a stable 60 at high-ultra settings. But it should be, the difference between a 6300 and a 8350 isn't *that* huge
I'm aiming for top graphics at 1080p. Will most likely have to lower some stuff for a stable 60, but that's cool. Guessing turning off some uneccessary effects like CA and DoF will net me some extra frames

have they said what the recommended specs translate to in game settings?

NVidia says a 670gtx and 3770k is below requirements which is what I have.

How can a 3770k be below reqs when a 2500k is minimum?

Daverid

I'd be looking for what's the best settings to play this game. Like turn off CA, DoF etc? As someone new to PC Gaming, that would be really appreciated!

Pretty much you can crank the standard graphical options as high as your PC will allow, but when it comes to all the little post-processing extras, it's really, really subjective.

Personally with TW3 I'll be turning off: Sharpening, Vignetting, CA, Bloom, Motion Blur & Gameplay DoF. However that's just effects that I personally dislike (Many I fucking loathe), and you might actually prefer the look of the game with some of those effects turned on.

Just find the "version" of the game which looks best for you :)

ref

SLI 980's at 1440p
4790k @ 4.7ghz
16gbs of RAM.

Hoping for maxed (with AA toned down if needed) 60 fps +

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I believe usually how it works is whoever has the marketing deal with the publisher gets the code first to analyze and optimize for the drivers. The other party, in this case AMD, has to wait until it is actually released. They'll probably have something a few days after release.

At least the tweet makes it sound like it's a high priority for them. Didn't the GTAV driver take a while?

The Llama

At least the tweet makes it sound like it's a high priority for them. Didn't the GTAV driver take a while?

It was out like 5 or 6 hours before the game was unlocked. I think the nVidia driver was out 9 or 10 hours before the game was unlocked.

Exentryk

Pretty much you can crank the standard graphical options as high as your PC will allow, but when it comes to all the little post-processing extras, it's really, really subjective.

Personally with TW3 I'll be turning off: Sharpening, Vignetting, CA, Bloom, Motion Blur & Gameplay DoF. However that's just effects that I personally dislike (Many I fucking loathe), and you might actually prefer the look of the game with some of those effects turned on.

Just find the "version" of the game which looks best for you :)

Thanks. I'll mess around a bit, even though I don't like wasting time with these things.

I'm rocking a GTX 980 for this game but I actually really want to run hairworks while playing at Ultra. What's a good cheap card I can get dedicated to physx?

Exentryk

I'm rocking a GTX 980 for this game but I actually really want to run hairworks while playing at Ultra. What's a good cheap card I can get dedicated to physx?

980 can do Ultra with Gameworks (Hairworks, HBAO+ etc) at 1080p and more than 40 fps at that worst of times. Overclock your 980 and it can easily be in 50+ minimum range.

Gonna try running this at 4k with a single Titan X on a gsync monitor. Wishful thinking? Hopefully it stays over 30 with most of the bells and whistles turned on, since I hate going below native res. DA:I and GTAV both run fine at max or near max settings (msaa off) at 4k, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Daverid

Thanks. I'll mess around a bit, even though I don't like wasting time with these things.

Yea it can be a little frustrating at first, but eventually down the road you discover consistent effects you hate, and you'll go into settings menus changing everything automatically and it won't feel like a hassle at all.

Otherwise I'm sure other users will share their settings, and if there's someone who you trust and/or screenshots they post look great, just copy theirs.

RyudBoy

I think my 970 OC'd @ 1512mhz will do. Gonna run it at uber settings with Gameworks enabled. Don't care if I get drops just as long as it stays above 30.

b0uncyfr0

Chromatic Aberration first of all is just useless. Motion Blur is also totally unnecessary and finally might disable Gameplay DOF depending on how its used in the game. If subtly and hides a bit of aliasing, then definitely keep it on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Chromatic Aberration first of all is just useless. Motion Blur is also totally unnecessary and finally might disable Gameplay DOF depending on how its used in the game. If subtly and hides a bit of aliasing, then definitely keep it on.

Agree with you completely, camera motion blur is dumb, CA can die in a corner and DoF really depends on how it looks. Object Motion Blur is a nice effect though, is that in? Haven't seen any.

Edit: Speaking of overclocks. How does the 280X fare? It's already based on a chip (well it's pretty much the same) that's factory OC'd.
FakeEdit: Turns out my XFX card is already OC'd from 800mhz seen in the reference design (with 1ghz Turbo) to a stable 1.01ghz

980 can do Ultra with Gameworks (Hairworks, HBAO+ etc) at 1080p and more than 40 fps at that worst of times. Overclock your 980 and it can easily be in 50+ minimum range.

Really, 40 or 50 at 1080p? I thought andy said that will get you 60fps. I might be wrong on that though. My 970 even though its oced to a base 980 will suffer if not.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Am I the only one who thinks the hairworks stuff looks awkward as hell? Especially in cutscenes. Whenever it cuts from and back to Geralt it looks like his hair re-settles from some off-screen hair explosion. Not that it's any problem of mine since I'm on an AMD GPU (it looked bad in Tomb Raider too) but still

andy said a driver will be released before the game comes out, calm down guys

Good point, the framerates we're seeing now are still on old drivers.

night13x

So some things the community needs to be aware of:

1) Nvidia wants to sell you a new card...even if in reality it's actually not that much of an upgrade (example - a gtx 780 is just slightly slower than a gtx 970...and a 780 SC / OC can easily match it).

2) I'm not saying this will happen again, but don't buy into "game day drivers" too much especially after the recent GTA V driver screwup. Basically the driver before that gta v driver (which is still current) actually makes gta run much better.

3) I have a feeling this game is really optimized at this point and will run very well on ultra (without hairworks) near 60fps on a variety of cards.

My advice is to wait till the game is actually released (with day 1 patch and with/without gameday driver) before you make any major GPU purchasing decisions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think W3's PhysX implementation can be offloaded separately. It's baked into all versions of the game.

Hairworks is achieved via tessellation rather than PhysX. The only PhysX-based feature is the real-time environmental destruction:

GameWorks-Games-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt.jpg

dodgeme

Interested to see how my 280x holds up tomorrow. Been debating if I want to spend the money now and pick up a 290x on the cheap or hold out for the 3xx series.

MadD4mon

Interested to see how my 280x holds up tomorrow. Been debating if I want to spend the money now and pick up a 290x on the cheap or hold out for the 3xx series.

I have the same card. Hoping for 1080p@60fps at high or at least medium settings. Either way, I would wait for the new cards before spending money on the 290x.

Corpekata

Banned
So some things the community needs to be aware of:

1) Nvidia wants to sell you a new card...even if in reality it's actually not that much of an upgrade (example - a gtx 780 is just slightly slower than a gtx 970...and a 780 SC / OC can easily match it).

2) I'm not saying this will happen again, but don't buy into "game day drivers" too much especially after the recent GTA V driver screwup. Basically the driver before that gta v driver (which is still current) actually makes gta run much better.

3) I have a feeling this game is really optimized at this point and will run very well on ultra (without hairworks) near 60fps on a variety of cards.

My advice is to wait till the game is actually released (with day 1 patch and with/without gameday driver) before you make any major GPU purchasing decisions.

What's your source on 2?

CHC

Am I the only one who thinks the hairworks stuff looks awkward as hell? Especially in cutscenes. Whenever it cuts from and back to Geralt it looks like his hair re-settles from some off-screen hair explosion. Not that it's any problem of mine since I'm on an AMD GPU (it looked bad in Tomb Raider too) but still

You're not the only one. It's impressive tech on its own, but it's not very well integrated yet. I think it tends to look out of place visually, and performance-wise it's unduly taxing for what you get in return.

Some day, the same physics will be driving cloth, grass, hair, fur, feathers, and everything else like that but until it can be convincingly integrated across the whole game world, it's always going to look out of place.

Jafku

God help my 760. If I can get 1080P locked 30FPS on medium-high then i'm good. Not even thinking about hairworks lol

Phased

Got it all pre-loaded and ready. Hoping to manage High settings with an R9 290 without too many issues but we'll see, i'll post here again once I know more.

Exentryk

Really, 40 or 50 at 1080p? I thought andy said that will get you 60fps. I might be wrong on that though. My 970 even though its oced to a base 980 will suffer if not.

The tests Andy ran were 40+ fps. The game probably runs 60 in most areas, but may dip to 40 odd in heavy areas. Regardless, the game will be out soon and we can get some user results with different setups.

BatNIC

Neo Member
The tests Andy ran were 40+ fps. The game probably runs 60 in most areas, but may dip to 40 odd in heavy areas. Regardless, the game will be out soon and we can get some user results with different setups.

The question here is wether this was with the day one patch or without, since the "new" graphics seem to be more demanding.

Grassy

I'm hopeful my sli 670's + i7 2600k @ 4.5 can do 1440p/uber, although I'll probably have to drop to 1080p to get a solid 60fps. At least until the 980 Ti comes out.

If it means anything to anyone, my intention is to play the prologue sequence, the start of White Orchard, and then try some ini/cfg tinkering before really sinking into the game. So I should have some preliminary tweak results an hour or so after the game goes live.

My man!

Kaze2212

Awesome! I can only start playing the game 18 hours after release anyway. (Midnight release here and work next day zzz).

I guess some tweaking results will be out by then.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well. It turns out I have one of the better FX6300 chips. Managed to OC it to 4.2GHz stable. Topped out at 70 degrees C but after the fan got up to speed it hovered around 65 (+-1) degrees, which is safe :). Oddly enough Prime95 doesn't make the fan go all the way up to 6k RPM so it ran a bit hot there, but within games everything is stable. It'll be better once I get the new heatsink installed, this is on the stock cooler :lol. I'm actually amazed. Then again 4.2 is just 100mhz over the TurboClock so it can handle that easily.

Witcher 2 gained a whooping 5 FPS in Flotsam (From 45 min to 50 min), granted it did help smooth out camera movement and such. So most likely it killed any microstutters or frame delays

BRING IT, WITCHER 3!

I hope i can run it on High to Ultra with some setting tweaks with an overclocked FX 6300 and a R9 280

........i hope

Hello good sir, we have similar interests. How are you OCing your FX, which motherboard? Any aftermarket cooler you'd recommend? We have the exact same rig save the fact that I have a 280X.

You're not the only one. It's impressive tech on its own, but it's not very well integrated yet. I think it tends to look out of place visually, and performance-wise it's unduly taxing for what you get in return.

Some day, the same physics will be driving cloth, grass, hair, fur, feathers, and everything else like that but until it can be convincingly integrated across the whole game world, it's always going to look out of place.

Can't wait for clothes physics. Imagine when we get chainmail that's made out of actual links *drool*

Top Bottom