• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

anyone know what's up with 4k giving the sun glare these rings?

The sunglare doesn't scale very well with resolution. So you wind up with some weird circular banding.

You can see it in these 5120x2160 shots too:

17843547616_9212e46082_o.jpg

17679536389_a09b8a7850_o.jpg

Ok I'm officially going crazy trying to configure color settings in nvidia control panel. No matter what I do, it doesn't want to bring it into the game, and I have it set to do so.

AAAAHHH

It is definitely not the way the controller is being poled. This is an engine issue. I've had very similar behavior in other games, and I was almost convinced it was a controller issue as well- not stutter at all while panning the camera around when still, no stutter when the camera autodrives... but stutter if I moved the camera while moving the character. All of these games I have fixed the problem in by using DXTory and locking the frame rate to 60fps. In this game, that doesn't work.

If I unlock my framerate to 60 and the game can maintain 60fps, the stutter while panning the camera is greatly reduced, almost gone. But it's still slightly there.

When I'm playing locked at 30fps and I have tried everything to get rid of the stutter, and nothing has worked-

Locking the framerate to 30 using DXtory
Using adaptive vsync at 30fps with the nvidia control panel
Using windowed mode
Using nvidia control panel locked full vsync
Using borderless window, using fullscreen
Setting the nvidia control panel to render 1 frame ahead

And every mix and match combination of the above. Nothing gets rid of the camera pan stutter when panning the camera while moving.

Locking the game to 60fps through DXTory and using the NVidia control panel full vsync lock has almost eliminated it for me, but it still pops up every once in a while.

I have no idea how to get rid of it fully.
Eh, I've never encountered a game where I couldn't fix it, and this also feels kinda different to me. The zig zag diagonal movement is something I've never seen before. Also, in other games that stuttered, the ENTIRE scene would stutter, in this u can still see everything moving smoothly, only the cameras view starts "chugging" nothing else, at least in my experience with the stutter.

To me, it seems like it's either an issue with the camera code, or the controller input code. Something related to the camera or controller, I don't notice it with mouse movement so I don't see how it can be anything else.

Played my first few hours, game is pretty cool and the trees/foliage are just insane. A bit surprised that the animation of Gerald is PS2 era quality...

Had one crash straight to Desktop. Did not seem GPU/CPU related. Looking at playthroughs on YT, even the console versions crash. Game needs patches.

Wag

Is there a way to adjust 360 gamepad sensitivity? The default setting is too floaty for me, I'd like to be able to lower it.

Man, I want to run this game at super pretty levels at 30 fps, but I crash consistently with Hairworks on, and even just pushing out the draw distance, shadow and foliage distances beyond ultra levels gives me random crashes. Time to revert everything to High and stick with 60 fps for now.

It looks so amazing though when there's almost trees and buildings are rendered from great distances with minimal pop-in. Just wish it would stop being so temperamental.

ss_lemonade

Any truth to conspiracy theories about shitty Kepler performance? Or simple case of architectural differences with Maxwell being that much better?

In any case, kinda strange my 960 gets similar performance to a 780....
I've seen a lot of people complaining in the geforce forums but what's strange is how a lot are also saying they are getting atrocious framerates. Exaggerated maybe? Its sad seeing these benchmarks show how other supposedly slower GPUs are keeping up with the 780 but I've been playing the game with a mix of ultra and high and my framerates so far have been pretty damn good. Upper 50s most of the time at 1080p, so I'm happy with that at the moment

alife

i7 3960x
R9 290X
32GB DDR3 1600
Intel 520 Series SSD

Edit: Fucking shitty keypad phone. My bad.

Downsampled 3200x1800. Settings set to Ultra, HBAO+, post processing effects on, Hairworks off, and frame rate set to 30. 1920x1080/60 - Getting a pretty consistent frame rate (dipped to 55 or so a few times). Catalyst 15.4 beta. CPU utilization @ 48% and GPU utilization @ 100%. Good stuff.

Edit 2:

DS 3200x1800 showing 30FPS on FRAPS and RivaTuner Statistics Server.
1080p shows 60FPS on RTSS but 45-50 on FRAPS.

Kuusoge

Anyone else having major lip sync issues? In the first area it was fine but today i moved on from the starting area and all the voices were out of sync. Sometimes it is minor, but often times, the VO is several words ahead of characters lips. Most of the time there is at least a words worth of delay and it's starting to become annoying

ss_lemonade

i7 3960x
R9 290X
32GB DDR3 1600
Intel 520 Series SSD

Downsampled 3200x1800. Settings set to Ultra, HBAO+, post processing effects on, Hairworks off, and frame rate set to 60. Getting a pretty consistent frame rate (dipped to 55 or so a few times). Catalyst 15.4 beta. CPU utilization @ 48% and GPU utilization @ 100%. Good stuff.
Now this blows my mind. That's like 2x or more faster than a 780

Driver didn't do anything. Fucking thing crashes in inventory every time.

someone said turn off vsync and set fps cap to unlimited...let's try that I guess...

Condom

Yeah well overall I'd say the game is disappointing is performance/looks ratio (Kepler here).

At least looking at how extremely smooth and good looking GTA is, maybe we got spoiled with that one.

23qwerty

i7 3960x
R9 290X
32GB DDR3 1600
Intel 520 Series SSD

Downsampled 3200x1800. Settings set to Ultra, HBAO+, post processing effects on, Hairworks off, and frame rate set to 60. Getting a pretty consistent frame rate (dipped to 55 or so a few times). Catalyst 15.4 beta. CPU utilization @ 48% and GPU utilization @ 100%. Good stuff.

What? how on earth are you doing that with a 290x? I get about 45 max with my 970 doing that.

How do you hide the HUD?

I'd like to know this too. In the Witcher 2 all you had to do was press H and it hid everything. Hopefully there's something similar in this one because going into the options and turning off each piece of the HUD would take way too long.

Edit: Also, why couldn't having Hairworks off just put the standard hair on the enemies? I think Geralt's hair looks good with Hairworks off, but then the creatures are basically bald which just looks silly.

Turned vsync off and fps to unlimited. Haven't crashed, and I'm getting 75-85 fps now with my 970, but it looks terrible :\

Ugh, I may just wait a week or two for some of the initial patches to roll out. This sucks.

23qwerty

i7 3960x
R9 290X
32GB DDR3 1600
Intel 520 Series SSD

Edit: Fucking shitty keypad phone. My bad.

Downsampled 3200x1800. Settings set to Ultra, HBAO+, post processing effects on, Hairworks off, and frame rate set to 30. 1920x1080/60 - Getting a pretty consistent frame rate (dipped to 55 or so a few times). Catalyst 15.4 beta. CPU utilization @ 48% and GPU utilization @ 100%. Good stuff.

Edit 2:

DS 3200x1800 showing 30FPS on FRAPS and RivaTuner Statistics Server.
1080p shows 60FPS on RTSS but 45-50 on FRAPS.

Okay this makes a lot more sense!

Moaradin

I managed to settle with 30-40 fps on my 680 with mostly ultra and just shadows and foliage distance set to high. Pretty satisfied with it.

Sijil

So the GPU being at 100% use and temps hovering at 80 is completely normal? Even for prolonged sessions? Getting a little anxious here with my 770.

Derp

Welp, it's been discovered that an R9 290 (no, not the 290x) beats the 780 Ti when GameWorks is off on both cards. There's a serious problem with the 700 series (or Kepler in general), Nvidia. Still waiting for an official statement or a fucking fix, otherwise I'll just assume you're purposely crippling your own cards. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the GPU being at 100% use and temps hovering at 80 is completely normal? Even for prolonged sessions? Getting a little anxious here with my 770.

From Overclockers.com
The max safe temperature for the card to run at is 95 °C; after that is when clocks will start to throttle.

So you should be good. So it should downclock itself to ensure a temperature within the 95 degree limit. And you'd notice if it started doing it.

Welp, it's been discovered that an R9 290 (no, not the 290x) beats the 780 Ti when GameWorks is off on both cards. There's a serious problem with the 700 series (or Kepler in general), Nvidia. Still waiting for an official statement or a fucking fix, otherwise I'll just assume you're purposely crippling your own cards. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Really? Aren't those cards supposed to go toe to toe? Much like the 280x and the 770?

Klossen

Banned
It really is. I'm also dissapointed at how hard a 60 fps experience is to achieve even when lowering settings. People are also saying that the Nvidia Witcher 3 drivers are mostly placebo. Gotta promote them Maxwell cards, I reckon.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It really is. I'm also dissapointed at how hard a 60 fps experience is to achieve even when lowering settings. People are also saying that the Nvidia Witcher 3 drivers are mostly placebo. Gotta promote them Maxwell cards, I reckon.

What if the new drivers just made the old GPUs underperform [/conspiracy]

Arrith

Neo Member
Turned on SLI, much better. Now it's actually playable on my SLI Titans in 4k. Even with everything turned on, including hairworks @ 60fps. One thing I did notice is the voice overs tend to be out of sync during the quests.

Really? On two titan x's OC 1400oc and I'm Struggling to run all ultra settings at 4k (aa disabled), massive fps dips to 35ish no matter ultra/high/medium but yet GTA5, DA3 all run fine at 4k at 60fps with everything maxed. Funnily enough it runs at 1440p maxed fine, hardly pushing the cards at all. The cards also are not throttling at all when playing at 4k

I was getting system lockup every few mins that would lock the system up, removed drivers reinstalled with just the drivers and not geforce experience and that fixed the issue, but the performance im getting now is frustrating as hell.

Little info:
5820k @ 4.4k OC
2x titan X
16gig 2400hz ram
Game running of SSD

Hey guys, I'm a little disappointed with the game's performance on my PC, maybe someone can help me figure this out.

I have an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz, 16gb ram and a new GTX 980 (Asus Strix). I had read before that a 980 would be sufficient for 60 fps at 1080p max graphics. However, I seem to hovering between 50-55 most of the time (around the start of the game in the first village you get to after the gryphon flies off). And when I go a bit deeper into the village between the NPCs and the huts it even dips down to between 40-45.

So is a 980 not enough to get 60 fps at 1080p? Or is my processor holding me back? Or should I try to overclock my GPU too? Or is there a setting I should turn down/disable for a performance boost without sacrificing the purdy graphics?

Thanks!

23qwerty

Hey guys, I'm a little disappointed with the game's performance on my PC, maybe someone can help me figure this out.

I have an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz, 16gb ram and a new GTX 980 (Asus Strix). I had read before that a 980 would be sufficient for 60 fps at 1080p max graphics. However, I seem to hovering between 50-55 most of the time (around the start of the game in the first village you get to after the gryphon flies off). And when I go a bit deeper into the village between the NPCs and the huts it even dips down to between 40-45.

So is a 980 not enough to get 60 fps at 1080p? Or is my processor holding me back? Or should I try to overclock my GPU too? Or is there a setting I should turn down/disable for a performance boost without sacrificing the purdy graphics?

Thanks!
I'm guessing you've got hairworks on, that things a massive resource hog. I'd turn it off honestly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Thanks!

If you don't mind less fancy hair, I hear disabling HairWorks does wonders to your framerate

Vintage

Are the freezes related to 970?

My 660ti can run this game on 30fps on medium-high settings and I had no freezes or crashes so far.
Still, I just ordered a 970.
Was this a mistake? :(

Top Bottom