• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

ShaD321

Some shots look really great with it on, others, not so much. Still, I might give it a shot tonight. Is it pretty involving to get it working?

This guys made a statement that with this it looks almost like E3 2013 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2WoRfULG1Y

UPDATE: New preset is available that looks like E3 2013 Witcher 3. You can download it here: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3...
________________________________________­____

Even though this video is rendered in a 4K resolution, it is compressed and still does not do justice to how the game actually looks when you're playing it in motion.

The RAW video file was 64gb, the compressed video ended up being 789mb.

I will attempt to make another video and take my time rendering it in better quality than this in order to show the graphics in different time cycles.

MaddenNFL64

No crashes so far after 3-4 hours of playing, and thats with reverting back to vysnc on, fullscreen with 60 fps limiter.

So, good show cdpr.

Godan

So everything up full now with hairworks on and i get almost a solid 60fps before when i put it on would drop to about 45fps. Will put shadows down to high and think i should keep a solid 60fps now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How do you import a Witcher 2 save before starting? Also is there a good resource for Witcher 2 saves with the choices they made? I'm looking for a Iorveth save with everyone kept alive and all 'good path' choices made.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/archive/index.php/t-30709.html

It's down right now but has like a dozen plus end saves plus saves for all major events in the game.

I stupidly deleted all 3 of my W2 end saves a while ago so this was a godsend.

many of you that are having performance issues etc should run malwarebytes. I am not kidding, I did this in the past when I played BF4 where it would run sluggish and it was due to malware that I had no idea was running in the background.

It's a free download and doesnt hurt to try:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

bottom left "free"

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Right after more testing I'd say hairworks still isn't viable for me on my 970, neither Geralt nor all. When it rains and his hair gets wet I lose 5fps, when I run into a pack of wolves I lose 15fps. It's much better than yesterday that's for sure, but 60fps without dips is way more important to me. I'm sure a lot of you who are less sensitive to frame drops will possibly be able to use it after the patch though.

kencey

If your average fps is over 40fps, would it be better to limit the fps to 40 instead of 30?

May be a dumb question, but I don't normally limit and only ever see 30/60 spoken about.

This is with everything set to ultra, including hairworks on a 970.

Definitely 40 in my opinion.
I'm limiting mine to 41 and playing @1440p

Right after more testing I'd say hairworks still isn't viable for me on my 970, neither Geralt nor all. When it rains and his hair gets wet I lose 5fps, when I run into a pack of wolves I lose 15fps. It's much better than yesterday that's for sure, but 60fps without dips is way more important to me. I'm sure a lot of you who are less sensitive to frame drops will possibly be able to use it after the patch though.

I'm usually all for 60, but with this game I have resorted to capping it at 40 so I can have hairworks turned on. Runs great, and to be honest it's not a big deal for me in a single player game.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The patch GREATLY improved framerates in-game for me, but cutscenes still hitch from time-to-time. Grass has seen some improvements as well, in addition to a good deal of other things the update promises to correct.

Hairworks even looks better on Geralt now.

owasog

Is it my imagination or has CPU usage gone down considerably? All my four cores (3570K) are sub-50% now. I could swear they were at 70% or more.
I take it back. The patch reset some of the graphics options to Low, and when I put the sliders back to where they were CPU usage is 70% again. Too bad.

If your average fps is over 40fps, would it be better to limit the fps to 40 instead of 30?

May be a dumb question, but I don't normally limit and only ever see 30/60 spoken about.

Depends on Monitor refresh rate.

Is it 60hertz. The set it to 30. Then every other frame will be new.

If it refreshes at a multiple of 40 then set it to 40.

If you have gsync then it doesn't matter.

Setting it to 40 on a 60hertz screen will give bad frame pacing. Will look like stutter.

Setting it to 40 on a 60hertz screen will give bad frame pacing. Will look like stutter.

Interesting, thanks. I haven't noticed any stuttering, well no more than the usual camera pan stutter that I put down to the controller input problem others are experiencing. I will knock it back down to 30 and see if I notice a difference.

CHC

Running a GTX 780, no notable impovements after the patch.

Menus with gamepad, however, feel a bit better. I think they reduced the giant deadzone for flicking between options.

Well, so far so good on 1.0.3. I turned on full hairworks and I'm still getting 60fps. However I have turned my AA off since then as I simply don't notice the difference on my TV. I'll keep testing as I haven't seen any cutscenes yet with hairworks on with the patch.

I5 4690k and 970 with heavy over clocking. Gonna see if the OC is stable now too.

Edit: game froze on over clock. Could still hear the game running. Game then crashed. Hairworks still tanks to 45fps. Update did nothing on my end

Interesting, thanks. I haven't noticed any stuttering, well no more than the usual camera pan stutter that I put down to the controller input problem others are experiencing. I will knock it back down to 30 and see if I notice a difference.

Some people notice it more than others. Its strange but I don't notice the stutter caused by it much until you hit frame rates in the sub 30's. I can still see a big difference between 30-60 fps but having a game run at variable between 40-60 looks pretty good to me for the most part. Others find it very distracting.

I take it back. The patch reset some of the graphics options to Low, and when I put the sliders back to where they were CPU usage is 70% again. Too bad.

Did you manually edit your settings in the ini file? If you have manually edited the ini file then the game will state low for that setting. I have altered grass density to 3200 but the game states grass density is low; the same for shadows as I have changed CascadeShadowDistanceScale2.

Have you tried G-Sync before?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood

What about when I clone the output to a 50Hz 1080p tv?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

What about 45? That's a multiple of 60. 60*0.75 ;)

What about when I clone the output to a 50Hz 1080p tv?

If your TV is 1080p it already has a 60hz mode so just see about how to force that.

Edit: 45 FPS question already answered 2 posts down :D

Seems exactly the same at 30 FPS 60Hz and 40 FPS 60Hz to me in relation to stutter.

Well put it this way.

At 30fps on a 60hertz screen you get a new frame every 2 frames. Each frame is duplicated twice.

1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4 and so on

Its a smooth transition.

At 45 fps it becomes uneven

1-1-2-3-3-4-5-5

This causes a jump every few frames. Some people notice it more than others. Personally I'm normally fine with it and won't really see the difference unless something switches it from variable to locked 60 (detective mode in a batman game for example). The locked 60 suddenly feels crazy smooth by comparison.

If it looks fine to you then thats fine but in theory locked 30 is smoother than locked 40 because it creates a jump every 4 or so frames. As you get closer to 60 it becomes less jarring but until you hit 60 after leaving 30 it won't be a smooth transition between frames.

buffelo

Neo Member
NOPE NVM. after about 4.5 hours, game stalled out in the damn inventory screen again. WHOO!

sigh....

This is a long shot, but do you have Samsung Magician running in the background? It's a program that comes bundled with Samsung SSDs. In the past, it caused me a lot of crashes on other games so i disabled it.

Xyber

I think I have found my sweet spot now. With my current settings I'm getting 75-80FPS most of the time, 60-70 in Novigrad when it's very crowded.

This is at 1080p with a 970@1455MHz and i7 4770K@4.3GHz

Hairworks off.
Medium shadows (the difference between medium and ultra is really not noticeable in gameplay at all, so I'd rather take the frames)
Grass density on high
Foliage visibility on high
Texture budget bumped up to 1600, can probably go higher.
Bloom, motion blur and blur is off.
HBAO

Everything else is at ultra.

MaddenNFL64

This is a long shot, but do you have Samsung Magician running in the background? It's a program that comes bundled with Samsung SSDs. In the past, it caused me a lot of crashes on other games so i disabled it.

Nah, I havent stalled out or crashed in a game in a long time until The Witcher 3.

Its not a CTD btw, the game just decides randomly to stall out either in or after exiting the inventory or upgrade screen. The music keeps playing, and you have to kill the TW3 process to close it.

I'll put the game settings back to unlimited framerate, mess with borderless windowed etc. see if something fixes it.

BashNasty

If it looks fine to you then thats fine but in theory locked 30 is smoother than locked 40 because it creates a jump every 4 or so frames. As you get closer to 60 it becomes less jarring but until you hit 60 after leaving 30 it won't be a smooth transition between frames.

This is why G-sync is amazing. It suddenly becomes viable to play games between 30 and 60 fps. I just got a G-sync monitor yesterday and the improvements in image smoothness are astounding.

buffelo

Neo Member
Nah, I havent stalled out or crashed in a game in a long time until The Witcher 3.

Its not a CTD btw, the game just decides randomly to stall out either in or after exiting the inventory or upgrade screen. The music keeps playing, and you have to kill the TW3 process to close it.

Weird. Sounds like a graphics driver crash. Those usually happen when things get intense though, not at inventory screens. I hope someone irons that out soon, I really want this game to be well-received by people.

This is why G-sync is amazing. It suddenly becomes viable to play games between 30 and 60 fps. I just got a G-sync monitor yesterday and the improvements in image smoothness are astounding.

Pretty much. Be a while before they are the norm though. Still very expensive.

My laptop can run at 40 or 60 hertz so locking at 40 is a nice option to have at times. Be nice if that by the time I get a new one, gsync will be an option.

MaddenNFL64

Weird. Sounds like a graphics driver crash. Those usually happen when things get intense though, not at inventory screens. I hope someone irons that out soon, I really want this game to be well-received by people.

The game is boss, just wish it wouldn't do this lol.

I have a r9 290, so ya I dunno. Ive been playing Shadow of Morder, and Dragon Age Inquisition (I use Mantle instead of DX11 rendering), put in tons of hours into both, play both on near ultra without a hiccup, so this is just mind boggling to me.

Here's hoping I get a long ass gaming session going one of these days heh.

owasog

I had two of those freezes on 1.02 as well and I checked the Windows Event Log. They are listed as Application Hangs (EventID 1002, task 101) for witcher3.exe. There are no driver events at all before or after those two events.

I'm assuming your display is 60Hz. I would suggest 30fps cap. Why? You won't have any judder as each frame will be repeated twice. If you use 40fps, you'll have a 2:1 ratio of frames getting repeated at different intervals resulting in slight judder. If the judder is something you don't notice, well good on ya. If your display is 120Hz, then yes, definitely 40Hz.

ACE 1991

The game is boss, just wish it wouldn't do this lol.

I have a r9 290, so ya I dunno. Ive been playing Shadow of Morder, and Dragon Age Inquisition (I use Mantle instead of DX11 rendering), put in tons of hours into both, play both on near ultra without a hiccup, so this is just mind boggling to me.

Here's hoping I get a long ass gaming session going one of these days heh.

I have a 290 as well and haven't experience any crashing at all, huh. Have only put about 2.5 hours into the game so far though.

Top Bottom