• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Code:
user.settings
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 (default 800)

What does this setting do?

Code:
Nvidia Control Panel 
PhysX Processor: CPU

Considering this game is not CPU intensive, does this setting improve fps with no trade-off?

Right after more testing I'd say hairworks still isn't viable for me on my 970, neither Geralt nor all. When it rains and his hair gets wet I lose 5fps, when I run into a pack of wolves I lose 15fps. It's much better than yesterday that's for sure, but 60fps without dips is way more important to me. I'm sure a lot of you who are less sensitive to frame drops will possibly be able to use it after the patch though.

Yeah same here. It's not worth the fps hit for me, the camera is too far away most of the time and I'm playing on a TV anyways

Playing on an OC'd 970 with most settings at Ultra and Hairworks off I've been getting a consistent 60 fps until I hit some very crowded areas in Valen (the bridge north to Novigrad) and the bridge east to Oxenfurt). Getting a lot of slow down in those areas.

I tried changing the number of people preset down to Medium with no change. Is there another setting that is likely to be tanking my rate in those areas?

misho8723

Banned
Playing on a dual-core machine (Intel Core Duo E7300 2,66 Ghz - overclocked to 4 Ghz)
4 GB RAM and with Nvidia 650 Ti 1 GB (almost everyting on lowest, some post-processing on, Textures on Medium, 1680x1050.. average 25 fps in White Orchide (lowest fps 17, highest 30 fps).. I still can't believe that I can (well, I'm used from the past to such low fps numbers) on such an old PC (this it's 7 years old).. take that DAI, FC4, etc..

b0bbyJ03

I read some people say that they uploaded physics duties to the CPU. First, how did you do that? Second, did it improve performance? I'm wondering if it still performs well when using the telekinetic blast to break things (is it Aard? can't remember). thanks

It has nothing to do with anxiety. No matter how good your game is, if you tell me that there's going to be a massive patch soon that adds/improves/changes a lot of stuff (like... 600 changes) and I haven't started the game yet, then I'm going to wait for that patch before starting properly.

news update for you. we already have the 600 meg patch

from eurogamer

UPDATE: this patch is live now on PC and coming to console soon. We incorrectly reported this patch would include 600 fixes. CD Projekt was in fact referring to Witcher 3's day one patch here, not patch 1.03. We have edited the article for accuracy. We apologise for the confusion.

This guys made a statement that with this it looks almost like E3 2013 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2WoRfULG1Y

I tried installing that reshade and sweetfx thing and the game constantly crashed before starting up. I couldn't get it to work D:

Nothing will bring back the 2013 look though because it's not just colours and shaders that changed but the sheer density and particles are all gone too. There's no volumetric clouds or smoke particles or any of that stuff anymore sadly.

I do like the colour palette that reshade thing has though, it's less colourful but I like it perosnally

Since I saw the conversation pop-up, as far as refresh rates go, overclocking your monitor can help in that regard. My monitor manages a humble 75hz at most but for any game that can't reach 75fps framerate locking can be troublesome as 75/2=37,5 and of course half a frame would cause problems. So what I did was to add a 74hz entry which means I can cap games at 37fps. That's probably what I'll do once I get my Witcher 3 copy as I think 60fps with higher settings is out of reach for me.

Sure it's just 7fps more than a 30fps lock but hey 7 frames are 7 frames :p

Did anyone else have it where GOG Galaxy was having fits trying to update the game to 1.03? I had to run the update manually to fix the issue.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's funny but the game runs better in bigger more "urban" type towns like oxenford than it does in the little villages that are out in the field.

I figured it was the NPC count that was causing the frame rate to drop but I think it's actually the draw distance + NPC's that's the culprit.

Because in a town you vision is obscured by big buildings or town palisades, so I guess there is just less to render at all times.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Since I saw the conversation pop-up, as far as refresh rates go, overclocking your monitor can help in that regard. My monitor manages a humble 75hz at most but for any game that can't reach 75fps framerate locking can be troublesome as 75/2=37,5 and of course half a frame would cause problems. So what I did was to add a 74hz entry which means I can cap games at 37fps. That's probably what I'll do once I get my Witcher 3 copy as I think 60fps with higher settings is out of reach for me.

Sure it's just 7fps more than a 30fps lock but hey 7 frames are 7 frames :p

Wait what? People are overclocking their MONITORS now?

Kids these days

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried G-Sync before?

I haven't, no. They're pretty much made for people like me but they're very pricey still.

I've been playing for an hour since the patch and the performance improvements have allowed me to swap back to ultra shadows from high, and maintain 60fps. So my current settings are ultra preset, SSAO, foliage high. hairworks off, 1080p.

Fraps benchmark from my session:

Min, Max, Avg
58, 62, 59.983

Yeah same here. It's not worth the fps hit for me, the camera is too far away most of the time and I'm playing on a TV anyways

Honestly I think Geralt's hair looks better with it off, the monsters do look fantastic with it on though, but still not worth the performance hit.

Pro

Got 60FPS inside the
Emperor's Palace
. That was pretty cool to see running the 7970. Now I can boast I got 60 FPS in Witcher 3 on Ultra.

Code:
user.settings
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 (default 800)

What does this setting do?

Code:
Nvidia Control Panel 

Considering this game is not CPU intensive, does this setting improve fps with no trade-off?

MY CPU is practically idle during gameplay, giving it PhysX duties bought me a few FPS. bumbing up TextureMemoryBudget basically bumps up the Texture Detail higher than Ultra with no hit to FPS (assuming you have a lot of VRAM).

belmonkey

I don't even think SLI 980's can do that properly.

Without gameworks, this benchmark involving the 970 seems to suggest 4k ~30FPS could be possible with an overclock, or maybe lowering a setting or two:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt-game-new-3840_h_off.jpg

UnrealEck

Code:
Nvidia Control Panel 

It did for me. In a scene where I was getting 34 FPS, it raised it to 40-41 FPS.
But it will likely vary depending on your GPU and CPU.

UnrealEck

Wait what? People are overclocking their MONITORS now?

Kids these days

Push it to the limit.

what CPU are you running.
I've got an i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz... looking forward to testing out this tweak tonight.

Core i7 920 at 3.8GHz.
My graphics card is a GTX 770. If you have something a lot stronger, it might not yield as much of a boost. But for me, when the GPU is pegged at 99% and still getting just 34 FPS, it gave me a boost, so it was clearly doing some sort of PhysX based calculations.

16:10 display users, and all non 16:9 ration display users, here is a fix to tweak your HUD relative to your actual display. Found this on reddit.

Go into C:\Users\Your User\Documents\The Witcher 3\ and then edit user.settings in Notepad++ or something.
You need to edit the line that says uiVerticalFrameScale=1. I set mine to 1.11 and that gets it pretty close. You can also edit uiHorizontalFrameScale= if you like, but I left mine at default.
Just remember not to go back in to settings and click on "Rescale hud" or it might set it back to the 16:9 hud ratio.

Red Hood

Banned
Without gameworks, this benchmark involving the 970 seems to suggest 4k ~30FPS could be possible with an overclock, or maybe lowering a setting or two:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt-game-new-3840_h_off.jpg

I'm curious as to which settings (besides resolution) they're using, because I have a 280X as well and most of the time (mix of High and Ultra, mostly High), I average about 35fps, which makes me wonder what wizardry would allow a 280X to run 4K at 26fps average.

Barzul

MY CPU is practically idle during gameplay, giving it PhysX duties bought me a few FPS. bumbing up TextureMemoryBudget basically bumps up the Texture Detail higher than Ultra with no hit to FPS (assuming you have a lot of VRAM).

Does it have to be powerful chip like i7 for this to work well or will and i5 do the job, I'm thinking I'll try this tonight. My GPU utilization was around 75-80% when I checked yesterday.

Red Hood

Banned
By the way, anyone noticing some performance issues (~ 10fps drops) after installing the 1.03 update? Or maybe that's a coincidence since I just entered Velen which maybe is a little more taxing than White Orchard? I used to average around 45fps with my 280X, but now it's ~ 33.

Does it have to be powerful chip like i7 for this to work well or will and i5 do the job, I'm thinking I'll try this tonight. My GPU utilization was around 75-80% when I checked yesterday.

I have a pretty old i7-930 from 2010. It's oc'd to 3.6 GHz, but it's still chugging along.

jett

D-Member
Did this patch improve the performance on AMD at all?

By the way, anyone noticing some performance issues (~ 10fps drops) after installing the 1.03 update? Or maybe that's a coincidence since I just entered Velen which maybe is a little more taxing than White Orchard? I used to average around 45fps with my 280X, but now it's ~ 33.

sheeeeit :(

It did for me. In a scene where I was getting 34 FPS, it raised it to 40-41 FPS.
But it will likely vary depending on your GPU and CPU.

I am on a 4770k and a GTX980. So I will try these out tonight. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

The more I play the more I notice weird drops, I will go from 60 - 53 - 58 in areas that aren't taxing at all, this never happened before the patch. I still get 60fps nearly all the time but these weird dips for no reason are annoying.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe I should wait until new year for dat Enhanced Edition. Granted I was already set to lock the framerate at 30 anyway, rather have the hawtest graphics my rig can muster and a stable framerate. I think. Not sure.

So with the new patch should we be rolling with the newest Nvidia drivers again or sticking to rolled back ones to avoid crashes? or was that ever a cause for crashing to begin with?

ValfarHL

fuck yes!

With the new patch, and offloading physx to my CPU (2500k @ 4.5Ghz) I can finally run hairworks on, with shadows, foilage, grass density at high, and the rest at ultra.

Good enough is atm: locked 60 when riding roach where ever, 45-55 in "inspect" mode, 55-60 when riding through the first town, 50-60 when inside the first tavern.

Haven't encountered any wolves yet, but I am hopeful..

GPU is a 970 at 1550/7900Mhz.

Noticed my frame rate drop 5fps in the first village when I first booted up the game, came back after running through the woods and it's smooth again. Made sure it was the same time of day too :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So with the new patch should we be rolling with the newest Nvidia drivers again or sticking to rolled back ones to avoid crashes? or was that ever a cause for crashing to begin with?

AMD users got crashes all the same so it's most likely the game engine.

Anon67

Hmm I can't seem to get a constant 30 FPS at 1080p unless everything is low. Might consider dropping to 900p soon...

GTX 660

Top Bottom