• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Xbox One X patch is out!! Performance and Resolution modes!!!

Yes the XBONEX is stronger than the PRO, we knew that ages ago. Still the PRO version is not at optimum, I dont think it's a great patch. Those framedrops in the swamp should never happen, pro should have a performance mode too, it's foliage should not be so blurry and it needs HDR support...

XBONEX is already pushing higher pixels, though dynamically and has a solid framerate in the 4k mode, I think that covers it's power gulf, but it's also clear that much much more work went into the XBONEX version too, so it's not just about power here, it's about optimizations too. You can enjoy the XBONEX version, I think it's pretty solid, I'm just saying the PRO version needs to be patched again.....Obviously to bring all the extras and optimizations the XBONEX patch has.....

Better foliage
Dynamic resolution
Performance Mode
HDR.....

are the upgrades which I expect, so the patch could be solid enough on PRO..

You said 1600p or 1800p would be checkerboarded to 4k, it does not work like that....Saying that the Pro version is 1920 x 2160 is very misleading also, perhaps you're trying to diminish it, but it's not simply 1920 x 2160, the other pixel information is being rendered as well to create a 4k image, it's not upscaled.....On the flip, if the XBONEX is doing 2600 x 1600, the rest of the pixels are not rendered in any form, it's upscaled...I think it's important we give the right information in a tech thread.....The XBONEX defintely has the edge here, enjoy that, but don't try to misrepresent what's going on, that's a bit disingenuous at best...

Well, unhhh, it's not flawless...

CxekQSN.jpg

.....,but it holds very well when in combat which is when you need the best controller response. I always maintained that the game dropped to lower fps in the expansions, just that many sites did not get enough data samples from there. All in all, performance mode is still the way to play, but it's certainly not flawless....

1. It is at it's Optimum and it reached its peak months ago..some magic Pro juice won't happened out of the blue..it's a weaker mashine by a landslide. ..and please, learn to deal with it.

2. Just curious why you never call your baby Pony or Potato Pro..but why?

arhra

The game keeps switching into 4k mode for me, any way to stop this, really eager to try out performance mode

The option works fine, once you switch it to performance it will stay there. It's just the menu that's bugged and always defaults to showing 4K when you open it. You might need to toggle it back and forth a few times to make sure it's picked up the change when switching, but it's fine once you get it set to the one you want.

thelastword

Banned
The only one doing misrepresentation is you.What I said about the pro version is the truth. Dont take my word for it, its what digital foundry said.
Also when someone puts "1600-1800" it means 1600 to 1800 especially in the context of what I wrote.
Then you say the game is 2160CB, not 1920 x 2160 native, because if you do a count on the pixels of any frame you don't get 1920 x 2160....

Also how many games do you know checkerboard from 1600-1800p btw? Can you name some?

Yikes. Performance mode doesn't run that well and 4K mode looks leagues better!

http://youtu.be/ewRZLK-U6yw
I think for combat it's a good mode to have, but if you have a 4k screen, I easily understand the appeal of the 4k mode.....OTOH, I've just watched the video you posted and I know that the XBOX-ONE game is 900p, but there are times in the candyland footage where the performance mode on the XBONEX looks pretty close to that....I wonder how dynamic the scaler is on XBONEX...In NXgamer's video the performance mode falls to 27fps as I highlighted....It would be interesting to see a pixel count done on the minimum frames......

Lort

Banned
Then you say the game is 2160CB, not 1920 x 2160 native, because if you do a count on the pixels of any frame you don't get 1920 x 2160....

Also how many games do you know checkerboard from 1600-1800p btw? Can you name some?

I think for combat it's a good mode to have, but if you have a 4k screen, I easily understand the appeal of the 4k mode.....OTOH, I've just watched the video you posted and I know that the XBOX-ONE game is 900p, but there are times in the candyland footage where the performance mode on the XBONEX looks pretty close to that....I wonder how dynamic the scaler is on XBONEX...In NXgamer's video the performance mode falls to 27fps as I highlighted....It would be interesting to see a pixel count done on the minimum frames......

Seems u are a little sensitive about xbox one x being more powerful than playstation pro? Might want to put something on that to help numb the pain because its only going to get worse.

shpankey

not an idiot
Very nice upgrade. Have to give msft a lot of credit in getting devs to update their games. Very impressive so far.

Great for the 4K mode if that interests you, but that performance mode. Eww.
Pretty much exactly the same as how it performs on the X1X with the unpatched version of the game running at 900p. 35-40FPS in Novigrad, drops below 50 when riding through towns, and doesn’t stick to 60 during combat with lots of little 1-3 frame dips.

Stick with the 4K/30FPS mode. The consistency in frame rate is much better than the alternative.

-hadouken

Happy to see great older games get the love they deserve - rather than being pumped out and then discarded. Nice work CDPR.

f@luS

More than a member.
I’ve got a question I have the GOTY on disc. Are the dlc on the disc or not ? I want the digital game now so I wonder if I buy the normal one can I access the dlc that I guess were installed when I put the disc before or do. I need the digital goty ?

arhra

I’ve got a question I have the GOTY on disc. Are the dlc on the disc or not ? I want the digital game now so I wonder if I buy the normal one can I access the dlc that I guess were installed when I put the disc before or do. I need the digital goty ?

You need the digital GOTY edition - it's a separate title with the DLC integrated, rather than a bundle of the base game plus DLC licenses. You can't even use the same save between the regular and GOTY versions (and they even have separate achievement lists).

TLZ

Banned
Great for the 4K mode if that interests you, but that performance mode. Eww.
Pretty much exactly the same as how it performs on the X1X with the unpatched version of the game running at 900p. 35-40FPS in Novigrad, drops below 50 when riding through towns, and doesn’t stick to 60 during combat with lots of little 1-3 frame dips.

I'm OK with a few dips here and there. Good on the devs for giving us the option. Imo every dev should do 2-3 options. Locked 30, locked 60 and/or unlocked res and Fps.

ganaconda

Seems u are a little sensitive about xbox one x being more powerful than playstation pro? Might want to put something on that to help numb the pain because its only going to get worse.

I've assumed he can't be a real person with real opinions for a while now. Has to be a person playing a character. No way a person could be that delusional about specific electronic devices.

f@luS

More than a member.
You need the digital GOTY edition - it's a separate title with the DLC integrated, rather than a bundle of the base game plus DLC licenses. You can't even use the same save between the regular and GOTY versions (and they even have separate achievement lists).
Ok thanks. Going to stick to my disc based version then
Which is amazing. Really.

I've got a question I have the GOTY on disc. Are the dlc on the disc or not ? I want the digital game now so I wonder if I buy the normal one can I access the dlc that I guess were installed when I put the disc before or do. I need the digital goty ?

It's all on the disc:

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/763763969492410368

You can sell your current vanilla copy to subsidise the cost of the GOTY version with all of the DLC. Physical copies of games FTW :D

I'm OK with a few dips here and there. Good on the devs for giving us the option. Imo every dev should do 2-3 options. Locked 30, locked 60 and/or unlocked res and Fps.

I completely agree. CDPR did the exactly right thing by including the 60fps unlocked mode as an option. Hopefully it becomes the standard going forwards. Most of my time spent in The Witcher 3 was outside of the cities, which runs commonly at 50-60fps in all of the benchmark videos.

Lort

Banned
Agreed 60fps matters in combat not walking around town. Unlike ps4 pro the 4k mode is solid 30 fps :) having the option is great!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

I dont know why you are hellbent on misrepresenting my original post.lets take a look at it again shall we.

The pro version is native 1920x2160p but using checker boarding to achieve 4k cb which is roughly takes the same horsepower to render 1440p.

My guess is the 1X is in the native 1600-1800p range maybe it using checker boarding to I dont know. But I dont think its native 4k.

Yes the pro version is 2160Pcb, however thats not the native res, so you can repeat what I say as much as you like.Im glad we agree on that point.

and notice how I used "maybe" and "I dont know".it was a suggestion for why it dont look native to me, in no way was I stating it as fact.However that does not negate the idea that a native 1600-1800p image could benifit from checkerboarding because you are using a higher native source, the quality of the 4kcb would be better then using 1440p like nearly all checkerboarding games do.It may not be possible which is why I used the words like "maybe" and "I dont know".

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is no way to shortchange this:

This new patch is absolutely breathtaking. I haven’t used performance mode at all since during my experimentation it was inconsistent, especially in Novigrad so I have stuck to using 4K mode and the results have been very consistent.

My initial impressions have turned into another full blown playthrough.

Doing my Gwent rounds now...

Peterc

I'm playing Witcher3 af the moment for the first time on a high end pc.

While I like the game, its still a disappointed at the moment.

I like the environment/visual and the music. But after playing it for 10h's I've noticed some frustrating things.

While the story is great, every minute I'm playing I'm running against a cutscenes with most of the time just conversations. I really hate it, a game needs to be played not watched. After a while it's get repetitively and gets boring. Is this going to stop?

The environment and the music are still the same after 10h, will it change?

While the combat system isn't bad, its still feels outdated. It doesn't do something unique. Also the ai of the enemies looks simple. The game does look easy(maybe not in hardmode).

I hope it will offer a better experience a bit later in the game. At the moment it doesn't feel a goty game, only if you like to read and listen allot and play it to see the story.

Still enjoy it a bit, so I will keep playing it in the hope it will change my mind.

Planning also to play skyrim afterwards, want to know if I will love it and how it will hold up against the witcher 3.

Lort

Banned
Microsoft promised all gamers will have access to all modes. The game dosent even know what res the tv is.

Top Bottom