• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With cost of games getting higher next-gen

SNG32

It makes sense seeing Sony testing the waters and starting to put more exclusives on PC. I don’t think they will be on Microsoft’s level in terms where every exclusive gets released but I expect more releases than last gen.

Reactions: MrS
Maybe they will use the 6 months - 1 year time window strategy to release a game on PC. It all depends on the sales performance and popularity of said games. I'd imagine people double-dipping for big titles like God of War, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbbiden West, etc.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Totally agree OP. Keep the absolute best games like TLOU2, Bloodborne and GoW as PlayStation Only titles and make the rest of the gear like Horizon and Death Stranding available to the PC crowd.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It makes sense
tenor.gif

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

With video game costs getting higher, it makes sense to milk previous installments in franchises that have already sold pretty much all they can on Playstation, meanwhile building hype for the next one (i.e Horizon on PC right before Forbidden West again is a PS exclusive at least for now).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It makes sense as long as you leave it long enough. 1 year seems like a good timeframe. The eventual profit from a 1 year on PC port would easily outweigh the loss from the tiny crowd who think "I'll just get this when it's on PC".

Releasing on both day one is something Sony simply doesn't need to do in the way that MS does. While I'd love it and happily dump that £500 from my unnecessary console into a better PC, it just doesn't make sense for them to do it. I'm not waiting a year to play God of War 2, I have the money and I'm happy to spend it.

johntown

Banned
If they were really smart they would not even tell PC players they are coming to PC until later. There are ppl like me who can wait it out but if there is no announcement or lord forbid EGS then I would probably get it for the PS5 and even double-dip on PC later.

This is typically what happened for almost all Final Fantasy games. I would buy on PS4 and then eventually they would come to PC and I would get them again. My paitence won for FF7 Remake and I am hoping it is not an EGS exclusive.

SNG32

If they were really smart they would not even tell PC players they are coming to PC until later. There are ppl like me who can wait it out but if there is no announcement or lord forbid EGS then I would probably get it for the PS5 and even double-dip on PC later.

This is typically what happened for almost all Final Fantasy games. I would buy on PS4 and then eventually they would come to PC and I would get them again. My paitence won for FF7 Remake and I am hoping it is not an EGS exclusive.

Honestly if Sony releases there games on epic first it would give good competition against steam.

Abear21

Banned
With video game costs getting higher, it makes sense to milk previous installments in franchises that have already sold pretty much all they can on Playstation, meanwhile building hype for the next one (i.e Horizon on PC right before Forbidden West again is a PS exclusive at least for now).

Exactly! Re-release all the old shit that’s saturated on the console already will probably be their strategy!

Also, I understand costs go up with the times, inflation, etc, but why is it safe to assume it’ll be so much more expensive to develop games on the new hardware?

It seems some features in the new consoles may make it actually easier to develop for them and not having to dumb down assets so they can run on 8 year old hardware should make the job a little easier too. I know little about the actual development process so please correct me if I’m wrong!

LordOfChaos

Also, I understand costs go up with the times, inflation, etc, but why is it safe to assume it’ll be so much more expensive to develop games on the new hardware?

It seems some features in the new consoles may make it actually easier to develop for them and not having to dumb down assets so they can run on 8 year old hardware should make the job a little easier too. I know little about the actual development process so please correct me if I’m wrong!

It's just been a fact of the industry, in excess of inflation. You can see that the bottom end decreased, which means that indie games may be having an easier time than ever with new engines and platforms, but as AAA games grow in scope and details, think of all the extra artists you need creating more assets than ever and in higher detail, the ballooning amount of audio in games, and so on. Some engine features can reduce these costs, but the cost of AAA game production has steadily increased regardless.

slide1.png

This is a good read

Last edited:

GlockSaint

I think sony is realising how lucrative the pc market is, hopefully hzd and ds do well enough for them to release their other stuff on pc too. But the thing is sony games run really really well on the ps4 (besides Bloodborne) so double dipping might not be worth it. Gow runs and looks incredible, same for hzd, tlou2 etc.

martino

It's just been a fact of the industry, in excess of inflation. You can see that the bottom end decreased, which means that indie games may be having an easier time than ever with new engines and platforms, but as AAA games grow in scope and details, think of all the extra artists you need creating more assets than ever and in higher detail, the ballooning amount of audio in games, and so on. Some engine features can reduce these costs, but the cost of AAA game production has steadily increased regardless.

slide1.png

This is a good read

this graph without audience and sales graph too is only half the story

Abear21

Banned
It's just been a fact of the industry, in excess of inflation.

slide1.png

This is a good read

That was a good read thanks, the cost of marketing isn’t even included in his analysis! I have no problem paying $10 more next gen, it’s expected. This makes me appreciate a solid indie title!

SNG32

Because the new games doesn't need to be bigger than it was before. Because not every game needs to be AAA. Because there's other games with less budget that are more fun, and even sold more

What Sony 1st party non AAA title has sold more?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
What Sony 1st party non AAA title has sold more?
Everybody's Golf comes to my mind, but the point is to reduce costs and allocate the big budget on one game or another rather than "all". Nintendo does that and they're like an oil company with money

Top Bottom