• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the announcement of Spiderman 2 & Wolverine, here's a fun fact, Sony Has the movie rights to 900 Marvel characters

Which New Insomniac Game Are You Excited For The Most?

• Marvel’s Wolverine

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • Both Equally

Votes: 73 32.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Not Excited

Votes: 41 18.3%

• Total voters

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony owns the movie rights to many more Marvel characters than just Spider-Man. It's not just Venom, either. In fact, Sony has the rights to over 900 characters from Marvel's catalog.

The news of Sony's huge Marvel catalog comes from a report by Variety. According to the publication, while Spider-Man and related characters like Venom are the jewels of Sony's collection, they're far from alone. There are nearly a thousand Marvel characters that Sony could make a movie about without any input from Marvel Studios.

Venom-Movie-Characters-Carnage-Black-Cat.jpg

The specific Marvel characters that Sony has rights to isn't publicly known and (obviously) they're far too numerous to list. However, Sony is already at work with several Marvel projects, each of which give an idea of where Sony hopes to build in the future. A movie about Spider-Man villain Kraven the Hunter is in the works. So is a film about Morbius the Living Vampire starring Jared Leto. This isn't even to mention the long gestating Silver and Black movie, which would've starred two minor Spider-Manantagonists, that has since pivoted to become two solo films.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’d get them all, just hope they don’t all feel samey with new heroes put in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't care about all this marvel characters. Give me original contents.
I dont care for comic book heroes either except Christian Bale Batman movies and old ass Blade.

But money talks and superhero blockbuster movies have been the rage for probably 15 years or so. And the video game adaptions are big sellers too. Oddly, aside from those archaic Batman movies from the 90s making good sales, superhero movies back then were a joke and nobody really cared. But it might had been that first Spiderman movie 20 years ago that perked everyone up suddenly.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Insomniac are only doing one type of game with these characters. If they could take out the open world element and make it more a tighter with better combat (Not that I'm saying the combat is bad) I'd be game for a full team based game from them. Any X team, Runaways, Power Pack, anything.

That is if it's only Insomniac allowed to do them.

CitizenZ

Banned
After watching the trailers, since 2 were shown and after thinking about it, most of them felt all like super hero games. Kind of bored honestly, but never was my thing.

Cryio

All this hype for Spider-Man and I've yet to play:

PS1: Enter Electro
PS2: Spider-Man 2: The Movie game
PS2: Spider-Man 3: The Movie game
PC: Shattered Dimensions
PS3: Edge of Time

I only played (and finished, all on PC):
Spider-Man 2000
Spider-Man: The Movie game
Spider-Man 2: The Movie game (which on PC is completely different and so much worse than consoles)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3: The Movie game
Amazing Spider-Man 1
Amazing Spider-Man 2

I need to finish all of those before even thinking about Insomniac's take.

coffinbirth

900 characters no-one gives a fuck about, sure.

Leather Boy and Litterbug sure will do WONDERS for Sony, lol.

Like seriously, they've been sitting on this garbage for DECADES, and we're just now seeing Morbius...starring Jared Leto? Miss me with that dogshit.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I dont care for comic book heroes either except Christian Bale Batman movies and old ass Blade.

But money talks and superhero blockbuster movies have been the rage for probably 15 years or so. And the video game adaptions are big sellers too. Oddly, aside from those archaic Batman movies from the 90s making good sales, superhero movies back then were a joke and nobody really cared. But it might had been that first Spiderman movie 20 years ago that perked everyone up suddenly.
The Christian Bale Batman movies are the only one I've ever like too. He was amazing in them as was Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Arkham Asylum is the only superhero game I ever liked. Arkham City was OKish and Arkham night with the stupid Batmobile sucked.

TheGrat1

Yeah and Wolverine is not one of those characters and yet a Sony first party studio is still making a game of him. Bringing up the movie rights in relation to what game you want to see Sony make is pointless, the two are not related. They will make a game about whatever property they want that Disney will let them.

//DEVIL//

Yeah and Wolverine is not one of those characters and yet a Sony first party studio is still making a game of him. Bringing up the movie rights in relation to what game you want to see Sony make is pointless, the two are not related. They will make a game about whatever property they want that Disney will let them.
This. I mean a deal has been made between sony and disney to use the rights for Wolverine on a game. maybe sony pays some royalty fee per game sold or maybe sony lends spider man character in one of the movies.

yurinka

Marvel Games has the video game rights to every Marvel character.

Movie rights =/= game rights.
100% true.

But I assume that when Sony pitches a game to Marvel they pitch one with the characters that appear on their movies in order to crosspromote them. So if Sony has the Spider-Man, Venom, Morbius and Kraven movies, guess who will appear in the Spider-Man 2 game. I bet after Spider-Man 2 they will make a 'short' spin-off with Venom. And that after a game or two of Wolverine (where for sure we'll see there cameos from many characters from the Sony's mutants movies), they will jump to X-Men.

Insomniac seems to have 3 or 4 teams. We know two of them are with mostly the Marvel games, a third with Ratchet (I assume this will stick to Insomniac existing and new IPs) and the other one with VR stuff (who I think may combine Marvel and Insomniac IPs). If they don't have already these 4 teams, I think it's a matter of time that they will have them since the Sony internal studios are growing.

Marvel vs. Capcom vs. Sony: New Age of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

That's what everyone really wants, right?
I'm pretty sure the all mighty Knack would kick Thano's ass.

Last edited:

Megatron

It’s 900 right now but the number just increases every time a new Spiderman character is created. Miles Morales didn’t exist when Sony got the Rights For instance.

That Men in Black rumor sounds pretty good right about now. I liked Marvel and comic movies at one point but now it's a nightmare you can't wake up from.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Wolverine, because Miles Morales (the voice actor and the character design/movement) annoys the piss out of me.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I'm not sure if the OP is trying to diss Sony and say they're just going to be making comic book games or if this is some weird flex like they have a monster catalogue of their own original IP like Nintendo when that is not the case at all. Actually creating and owning an IP gives you exclusive rights to do whatever you want with it and collect every dime from its sales.

Anyone could collaborate with Marvel and make a game, actually Capcom and Marvel's most popular characters did battle in one of their more recent fighting games, and Gaurdians of the Galaxy will be handled by Square Enix.

The question is, do we want Sony to become the company that makes a ton of comic book movie games? I think I'm good with Spiderman and Wolverine.

BUT I still do want a fully realized Superman game. 64 didn't cut it. That's DC though.

Last edited:

pasterpl

I am oversaturated with marvel stuff (movies, games, tv series), these literally are so common now that I skip them on purpose.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am oversaturated with marvel stuff (movies, games, tv series), these literally are so common now that I skip them on purpose.
I sought out Christian Bale Batman movies and I like the first WW movie with Gal Gadot (never saw 84). But in general I dont care about superhero movies and games. Cant even remember the last superhero movie game I played (if ever).

But the new Blade movie rumoured to come (along with a game I assume to go with it), I'll look out for those.

I dont get how some people can watch 18 million Spiderman and Marvel Avengers/THOR/Iron Man/Hulk movies. Half the Spiderman movies released the past 10+ years are also remakes on Peter Parker in high school. How many times can someone watch an origins movie? Given the trend, a new "How I became a teenage Spiderman" movie will come out around 2023.

Last edited:
Top Bottom