• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

Garou

So, this is gonna be my very first transfer yet.

Just to be sure: I've got a 3DS XL and I preordered a n3DS XL Majora's Mask edition. I also bought a 32gb micro SDHC card.

What I already did

• Transfered my saves and games from the 3DS SD-Card to the new micro SDHC card by using PC/Mac
  • Put the new micro SDHC card with an adapter into my old 3DS XL
What I have to do once the n3DS XL arrives

• Make a transfer of my NNID and Licences
  • Get the micro SDHC card out of the 3DS XL and put it into the new 3DS XL
  • Redownload Majora's Mask
Is that the correct way? Don't wanna mess my saves up!

Yes, that's the perfect way to do it.

Will Daily Log info transfer over as well?

Yes, everything transfers over.

I had a 3DS in the past that i sold (ambassador unit) and sold it off to pay rent in the past. years later i got a XL unit and had nothing I owned before. I contacted nintendo and explained the situation to them, they just wanted the serial numbers of both units and did the transfer on their end. Took about 5 days for it to fully happen.

So I was just reading this thread, trying to figure out how I could best do an in-store transfer with GameStop's launch day promo, when I stumbled upon this post. I had a launch day 3DS with a ton of software + ambassador stuff on it, but had to sell it for a bus ticket in 2012 when shit got real. Always thought I just had to write that off forever. I dug through my records, found the serial number, called Nintendo this morning... not only did they transfer my licenses to my current XL, but they gave me eShop credit at the original price for duplicate licenses! It's crazy how good their customer care is. :D Now I'll get to have an Ambassador New 3DS XL next month!

Quick question, if anyone knows... do I need to format the microSD card I bought (this one) at all before I transfer everything and start using it in my 3DS XL before the transfer to the n3DS XL?

Jarnet87

I bought the Zelda 3DS XL two. black fridays ago and its the only game I have. I want to trade that system in for one of the new 3ds xl systems since gamestop is running a promotion where you get $100 credit. If I dont give a crap about the saves and just want the game on the new system what is the process? Do I just delete it off my old 3DS XL, trade it in and then when I get the new one call Nintendo?

I just realized: I ordered the Monster Hunter n3DS XL...when I do a system transfer, will it overwrite that game as it'll be preinstalled?

I believe you do a system transfer first, so it links the NNID to the new console, which will include the preinstall game. The game is then linked to your NNID account and can be redownloaded if needed. After that, you can do a file transfer either by computer or by wifi.

Choomp

Banned
Yeah they do, however, I asked about the promo and they said it only works as a pre-order incentive, so on the day of launch, the promo will be over =/

So if I want to get credit towards a N3DS with my XL I only can without a transfer?

I'm just really iffy on everything going on here. So, is there anything that can't be transferred? I don't even know what data gets brought over. Pre-installed games can be downloaded again, however other games transfer? You have to re-configure your NNID on your new system, and it's going to be deleted on your old one? I'm thinking about trading in my XL soon, idk if I should do it, could someone please set me straight with all this? Should I be buying any of these new micro SD cards?

Does anyone know of or recommend any SD cards for the New 3DS preferably 32GB to 64GB? I want to be safe when I buy a new one in case it isn't compatible or has known issues.

Took me 11 hours to transfer my data from a 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL wirelessly from a 32GB SD card to a 32GB micro SD card. Ironically, both systems needed AC adapters so they wouldn't die in the process.

11 hours.

Enjoy!

Took me 11 hours to transfer my data from a 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL wirelessly from a 32GB SD card to a 32GB micro SD card. Ironically, both systems needed AC adapters so they wouldn't die in the process.

11 hours.

Enjoy!

Can you choose just to transfer licenses and not everything on the card?

Oxirane

11 hours.

Enjoy!

Wouldn't it have been quicker just to copy your old SD card to the new MicroSD card on a computer.

Choomp

Banned
Is there a specific Micro SD card I'm supposed to buy here? Or do they all work with an N3DS.

BrianAltano said:

11 hours.

Enjoy!

Jeez. How is the thing otherwise Brian?

Wait so it doesn't transfer using my NintendoID?

That's kinda awkward because I'm trading in my current 3DS for the Monster Hunter one, for a friend, and I'm also getting the Majora's Mask one for myself.

I won't get the Majora's Mask one until a few days after I think, halp.

Edit:

I did the live chat with the customer support and got this in reponse:

Oh hey, finally a reliable solution to the gamestop transfer dilemma. Thanks for posting this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
this thread perfectly highlights why we need a unified online account system. Anything else is extremely complex and confusing.

Of course you need one card in the source system and one card in the target system. Since the new 3DS (the target system) does come with a micro SD card I don't see the problem; you can just do the transfer, select copy via PC and shove the 32GB micro SD into it.

Also congratulations on filling 32GB.

As for deleting games and losing save data, I'll quote page 21 of system settings here:

Fucking Ambassador games, no save backup for you.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Hopefully I won't mess it up when mine arrives.

bumpkin

11 hours.

Enjoy!
But how much space was being used on your SD card?

I've still got a shit-ton of free space on mine. All of my 3DS games are retail/physical. The only thing on my SD card game-wise is some VC games and a few 3DS DD titles. Hopefully that'll mean a relatively quick transfer (not 11 hours).

Illucio

Banned
So, this is gonna be my very first transfer yet.

Just to be sure: I've got a 3DS XL and I preordered a n3DS XL Majora's Mask edition. I also bought a 32gb micro SDHC card.

What I already did

• Transfered my saves and games from the 3DS SD-Card to the new micro SDHC card by using PC/Mac
  • Put the new micro SDHC card with an adapter into my old 3DS XL
What I have to do once the n3DS XL arrives

• Make a transfer of my NNID and Licences
  • Get the micro SDHC card out of the 3DS XL and put it into the new 3DS XL
  • Redownload Majora's Mask
Is that the correct way? Don't wanna mess my saves up!
I 'm copying everything you did, and now have my new MicroSD card in my 3DS with the adapter.

But can I put the new card into the New 3DS first? Or do I have to transfer my licenses first then put in the card like you are planning to do?

Edit: I got the Monster Hunter Limited Edition new3DSXL FYI

Pajamas

Question: if I want the system transfer to be a less time consuming process, could I delete a bunch of my downloaded content from my old 3ds xl and then redownload it on the new 3ds xl after the transfer is complete? I ask because I have to work the day it comes out and I would like to take the old system to gamestop so I can still take advantage of the trade in promotion they have.

LostAnkh

OP, I don't think you'll be able to use that 64 micro SD card, since the n3DS is SDHC compatible and the max size limit is 32 gb.

Madao

11 hours.

Enjoy!

even redownloading all games would have been faster.

ALM5252

My GF has a purple 3DS that she doesn't use, but has a few eshop games on it.

She also has the NNID linked, and I'd like to transfer to my regular XL before transferring to the New XL. How should I go about the transfer??

Format the Purple 3DS so that the NNID is no longer linked, transfer the eshop purchases to my XL and they'll merge right?

Or Should I format the Purple 3DS and transfer from my XL to that one first? On Nintendo's website it says something about not being able to transfer to a 3DS that has an NNID linked. So I don't know how to go about it.

Wasn't difficult when the NNID was not apart of the 3DS system before. Now it feels so complicated to transfer. I don't wanna lose any save data from my XL.

xtradi

Banned
I'm also preordering Monster Hunter Limited Edition new 3DSXL and plan to buy 32 Gb micro sd card. How can i transfer digital Monster Hunter to the 32 Gb micro SD card?

Garou

I 'm copying everything you did, and now have my new MicroSD card in my 3DS with the adapter.

But can I put the new card into the New 3DS first? Or do I have to transfer my licenses first then put in the card like you are planning to do?

Edit: I got the Monster Hunter Limited Edition new3DSXL FYI

There is a specific moment during the transfer-process where the New 3DS will tell you to turn off the system and swap the cards. Keep your screwdriver ready for this.

Garou

I'm also preordering Monster Hunter Limited Edition new 3DSXL and plan to buy 32 Gb micro sd card. How can i transfer digital Monster Hunter to the 32 Gb micro SD card?

Redownload from the eShop after the transfer is done.

Garou

So i turn on the new 3ds, register for account, then select transfer, change the micro sd, and finally redownload the game?

Don't register any sort of account before a transfer!
Everything gets done through the transfer.

Turn your New 3DS on, do the basic setup and connect it to WiFi, then go to settings and update to the latest version, then go into settings again and start the transfer.

xtradi

Banned

Turn your New 3DS on, do the basic setup and connect it to WiFi, then go to settings and update to the latest version, then go into settings again and start the transfer.

Got it, Thanks !

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
talk to nintendo after you get the new unit. After explaining the situation to them, they can more than likely move your licenses to the new unit.

I had a 3DS in the past that i sold (ambassador unit) and sold it off to pay rent in the past. years later i got a XL unit and had nothing I owned before. I contacted nintendo and explained the situation to them, they just wanted the serial numbers of both units and did the transfer on their end. Took about 5 days for it to fully happen.

How do I contact them to do something like this? I have 2 3DS' that I want to merge, but both have NNIDs that my little sister and nephew made. I want to get all the games and stuff to one 3DS and use my own NNID, so I can then transfer it to my New 3DS XL when I get it.

Awesome thanks so much for the info I was gonna ask the same question..now once the transfer is complete(I am planning on transferring everything from my old 3DS XL to the new one once I get it) then I can go into the eshop and put in my Nintendo Network ID or do I first need to clean out the old 3DS?
My local Gamestop, the guy said that the wifi signal isnt the greatest in the world, but there is a starbucks across the street from gamestop(Says they offer free wifi through google) so in case I cant do the transfer in the store, do you think going into starbucks I would be able to do it pretty easily

Ulthwe

Just to be perfectly clear: the fastest way to do a System Transfer while trading the original 3DS in a shop is choosing the "Copy via PC" option?

Or is "Wireless Transfer (Limited Data)" preferable?

bumpkin

Nice... Got everything copied onto the 32GB MicroSD card (in its adapter) I bought on Amazon the other day. I'm all ready for November 13th when my Majora's Mask N3DS XL comes in!

ALM5252

So my girlfriend brought me an XL from her Pawn Shop to fix, and the manager said I could have the digital Pokemon X game on it since they usually format the consoles anyways. My girlfriend wanted it on her 3DS, so I did the transfer.

I formatted her console before the transfer, and when I finished I relinked her NNID, but when I went in the eShop the game wasn't listed at all among her other digital downloads. I checked the original XL and it wasn't there either. It didn't merge but instead disappeared. Should I call Nintendo about this or am I out of luck?

Asking in here because I have a 2DS with Mario Kart 7 and a main XL i plan on merging into the New 3DS XL, but the thought of losing any digital games is kinda scary.

So my girlfriend brought me an XL from her Pawn Shop to fix, and the manager said I could have the digital Pokemon X game on it since they usually format the consoles anyways. My girlfriend wanted it on her 3DS, so I did the transfer.

I formatted her console before the transfer, and when I finished I relinked her NNID, but when I went in the eShop the game wasn't listed at all among her other digital downloads. I checked the original XL and it wasn't there either. It didn't merge but instead disappeared. Should I call Nintendo about this or am I out of luck?

Asking in here because I have a 2DS with Mario Kart 7 and a main XL i plan on merging into the New 3DS XL, but the thought of losing any digital games is kinda scary.
Before you did the step in bold did you check if an NNID was linked to the console? Chances are the previous owner made and linked an NNID (to get Youtube, a f2p game or a demo*) so that copy of Pokemon X is now part of that NNID which you can't log into because you lack the details (among other issues).

*-Yes you require NNID to do this things via the eShop, otherwise it is optional on 3DS. This story might show why it was deliberate on the part of Nintendo; kill off resale value.

ALM5252

Before you did the step in bold did you check if an NNID was linked to the console? Chances are the previous owner made and linked an NNID (to get Youtube, a f2p game or a demo*) so that copy of Pokemon X is now part of that NNID which you can't log into because you lack the details (among other issues).

*-Yes you require NNID to do this things via the eShop, otherwise it is optional on 3DS. This story might show why it was deliberate on the part of Nintendo; kill off resale value.

I honestly don't remember because I formatted it to make sure it would take the NNID off or any other save data so it wouldn't transfer to my girlfriends. $0.90 transferred over to the eShop though.

Also, I kinda wonder if it's because I put my GF's NNID before checking the re-downloadable software on the eShop.

Tizoc

Sorry I'm confused...
If I want to have both my 3DS and N3DS to have the same content on their cards, can i just copy pasta from 3DS SD to my N3DS SD and it'll run OK after verifying that it is from my Nintendo ID account?

Eiolon

Sorry I'm confused...
If I want to have both my 3DS and N3DS to have the same content on their cards, can i just copy pasta from 3DS SD to my N3DS SD and it'll run OK after verifying that it is from my Nintendo ID account?

You can have the data on both cards but only one DS can be active to use it. Once your NNID is activated on the n3DS you cannot reactivate on the 3DS anymore.

So here's what I plan to do.

1. Backup all my saves and files of my old XL on my PC
2. Delete the files on my old XL on my SD card.
3. Transfer all my licenses and NNID to my New 3DS XL through the system transfer.
4. Use the wireless transfer to copy my backup to the New 3DS XL.

If that doesn't work, I probably won't be losing too much in terms of save data.

SegaShack

I have a Zelda XL on Firmware 9.2 that I use Cubic Ninja with and have made my own custom themes. Is there any way to transfer content from it to my new 3DS XL without updating? I don't want to ruin the hack.

I have a Zelda XL on Firmware 9.2 that I use Cubic Ninja with and have made my own custom themes. Is there any way to transfer content from it to my new 3DS XL without updating? I don't want to ruin the hack.

I don't think so, you need to update to initiate the transfer.

Hi, I searched for a thread but didn't know where to ask this question. I have pre-ordered a new 3ds. My first Nintendo handheld since the color. I have been buying all the old Pokemon games I missed. So I got Pokemon white used off of amazon and I received the PAL version on the game. Does anyone know if I will be able to play it or should I return it and get a US version?

Hi, I searched for a thread but didn't know where to ask this question. I have pre-ordered a new 3ds. My first Nintendo handheld since the color. I have been buying all the old Pokemon games I missed. So I got Pokemon white used off of amazon and I received the PAL version on the game. Does anyone know if I will be able to play it or should I return it and get a US version?

I think most DS games are region free. Unless they used DSi features... Then they will be region locked. It might just be safe to return it.

Top Bottom