• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

georly

The safest thing to do is to do the transfer but select the copy via PC option. Read the system settings manual for more details.

Ah ok, so it gives you the option, thanks!

Otherwise it tries to do it wirelessly... which can take ages? I also heard maybe it doesn't copy all save files, is that true?

Otherwise it tries to do it wirelessly... which can take ages? I also heard maybe it doesn't copy all save files, is that true?

You have three options.
sxRvSDv.jpg

The first option transfers everything, the second transfers saves and licenses, and the last one transfers just the licenses and you have to do the rest manually via PC.

Can I then put the original SD card back in the old 3DS?

Roughly how long did it take, and how big was the SD card in your original XL?

I hadn't changed the cards in either, so 4gb.

I had 4 full games on the SD card to transfer.

It wasn't fast, if i recall correctly i think it took about 90 mins. Much longer than i would have thought to be honest.

Seriously read the manual :) copy via pc is one of the 3 options. The other 2 options are wireless one of which only copies save and the other which copies everything.

Blablurn

I don't have an old 3DS.

But I ordered the new Majoras Mask Bundle.

Can I just swap the micro SDs before I start the device?

Or is Zelda already on the SD and I need to do the transfering first?

Schnozberry

I don't have an old 3DS.

Zelda doesn't come with the bundle. It's sold separately. You can just install your card before you first power it on and you'll be good to go.

Alright GAF, I'll have about an hour to get the New 3DS, transfer, and get out. Doing a trade in at GameStop. I have about 50 or 60 games on my system.

What's my best option? I'm fine redownloading *games* but not fine losing saves. I'll have my phone as a hotspot.

EDIT: I can get a MicroSD and adapter ahead of time, and use that in my current 3DS.

I don't have an old 3DS.

Yes, you can, the license is stored on the system itself (it'll prompt you to create a Nintendo Network ID and the game will be tied to the ID),
but you'll have to either move the game data through your PC (from the old to the new SD card) or redownload MM from the eShop.

jts

...hate me...
blablurn

IIRC from the days when I bought my 3DS XL w/ MH3 bundle, the game is indeed pre-installed on the SD card but you could just put a new card on and re-download the game from the eShop.

But if you have a card reader might as well copy over from the bundled card to the new one. Saves you a download too.

Blablurn

Yes, you can, the license is stored on the system itself (it'll prompt you to create a Nintendo Network ID and the game will be tied to the ID),
but you'll have to either move the game data through your PC (from the old to the new SD card) or redownload MM from the eShop.

Awesome! I don't mind redownloading. Thanks for the answer, Bro!

blablurn

IIRC from the days when I bought my 3DS XL w/ MH3 bundle, the game is indeed pre-installed on the SD card but you could just put a new card on and re-download the game from the eShop.

But if you have a card reader might as well copy over from the bundled card to the new one. Saves you a download too.

Thats awesome. Easier than expected!

I have a 2GB card in my 3DS. Does the n3DS have the micro SD in it already, or do I need to open up the back? I'd like to not have to go through a whole song and dance to keep my data.

Hey guys, I need a clear answer on something that has been vague:

If I copy my standard 3DS SD card info to my PC right now and then copy that to my MicroSD card, come February 13th when I transfer my OG 3DS to my New 3DS XL, can I simply put in my MicroSD card in the New 3DS when I turn on the system and proceed with the system transfer of licenses with option three via PC?

Another question, can do the option 3 system transfer via PC without inserting the new MicroSD card until later?

For example, I do all the copy/back ups at home on my PC, go to Gamestop do the system transfer, choose option 3, do the transfer of licenses, give Gamestop my old 3DS right then and there get the store credit, proceed to go home, take apart my New 3DS and insert my already copied and ready to go MicroSD card in the system and be all set?

Just want to be prepared the best I can, any help?

Corgi

Banned
You have three options.
sxRvSDv.jpg

The first option transfers everything, the second transfers saves and licenses, and the last one transfers just the licenses and you have to do the rest manually via PC.

sooo... I took a preemptive step today and just copied my sd card data to my pc and to my microsd card (it came with a sdcard adaptor so it works fine in my old 3ds).

I should just pick the last option then right?

The way I understand it, the best way to go is:

1) If using a standard SD card in the original 3DS, get a micro SD card of equal size along with an SD card adapter.
2) Copy all of the data from the standard SD card to the micro SD card and its adapter. Until the New 3DS comes out, use that micro SD card + adapter in the original 3DS.
3) On February 13th, when at the store to trade in the original 3DS for the New 3DS, Choose the 'Copy via PC' option when ready to do the transfer.
4) Instead of touching a PC at the time of doing the transfer, simply take out the micro SD card from the adapter and stick it into the New 3DS.

That's what I'm getting from this site, anyway:
http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/index.php?action=help&helpcatID=373

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just got a PNY Class 10 64GB microSD from NCIX so I can begin migrating my data from my Old 3DS XL's SD card:

I know that officially, the New 3DS only supports up to 32GB microSDs, but as far as I'm aware, as long as you format these SDXC cards as FAT32 (versus exFAT), they'll read just fine.

The question is: what cluster size to I use to have the maximum benefit/compatibility/performance? Google isn't giving me a straight answer.

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2013...-upgrade-your-3ds-sd-card-to-64gb-and-beyond/

32kb. Done this twice now and it worked flawlessly both times.

Namikaze

I've read the official explanation from Nintendo's site, posts all over the web etc., and the more I read, the more confused I become. Can somebody verify if I'm going to do this correctly?

Steps for those who are using a microSD card in their original 3DS right now:

1. Turn on both the new 3DS (target system) and the original 3DS (source).

2. Quickly set up new 3DS XL and get it to the main menu *Make sure to not link any NNID to new 3DS before system transfer*

3. Go to system transfer on both systems.

4. Select "Transfer from Nintendo 3DS", and choose "send from this system on the original 3DS system, choose "receive from nintendo 3DS" on new 3DS system.

5. When it asks if you are using an SD card on the original 3DS, say *NO* since you are really just using a microSD card (I read this can mess with the transfer).

6. Choose limited transfer, which just transfers licenses for digital games, ambassador stuff, and game saves.

7. After this is done, hit confirm on the new 3DS which will delete all data on the microSD in the new 3DS and then, restart the systems (I think it does this automatically)

8. Turn off both systems and get out 00 Phillips head screwdriver, open up the back cover of the new 3DS and take out the microSD card, put it aside (since you are using putting a larger one in).

9. Take out the microSD card from your old 3DS (with all your data on it) and put it in the new 3DS.

10. Power on the new 3DS with your larger capacity microSD card and while all your games will not be on the card, the license to use them and the saves will be there, all you need to do is re-download them from the eshop or put the game card in.

11. ? I'd assume at this stage, you can just get ready to sell your old 3DS on eBay/wherever. There is no more personal data on the system.

The way I understand it, the best way to go is:

1) If using a standard SD card in the original 3DS, get a micro SD card of equal size along with an SD card adapter.
2) Copy all of the data from the standard SD card to the micro SD card and its adapter. Until the New 3DS comes out, use that micro SD card + adapter in the original 3DS.
3) On February 13th, when at the store to trade in the original 3DS for the New 3DS, Choose the 'Copy via PC' option when ready to do the transfer.
4) Instead of touching a PC at the time of doing the transfer, simply take out the micro SD card from the adapter and stick it into the New 3DS.

That's what I'm getting from this site, anyway:
http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/index.php?action=help&helpcatID=373

Ok, but what about for those of us without the adapter for the micro SD card? Can't we copy from the regular SD card to the micro SD card right now, then at time of transfer just plug in the new micro SD card to the New 3DS after copying the licenses (still choosing via PC option) ? This part has been vague.....

Doombear

I've read the official explanation from Nintendo's site, posts all over the web etc., and the more I read, the more confused I become. Can somebody verify if I'm going to do this correctly?

2. Quickly set up new 3DS XL and get it to the main menu *Make sure to not link any NNID to new 3DS before system transfer*

4. Select "Transfer from Nintendo 3DS", and choose "send from this system on the original 3DS system, choose "receive from nintendo 3DS" on new 3DS system.

5. When it asks if you are using an SD card on the original 3DS, say *NO* since you are really just using a microSD card (I read this can mess with the transfer).

6. Choose limited transfer, which just transfers licenses for digital games, ambassador stuff, and game saves.

I don't understand why you would choose Limited Transfer. All of your digital games are on your microSD card right now in your current 3DS. If you choose Transfer via PC then you won't have to download everything all over again. The only reason you would choose limited is if you can't transfer via PC, which is sounds like you can.

Ok, but what about for those of us without the adapter for the micro SD card? Can't we copy from the regular SD card to the micro SD card right now, then at time of transfer just plug in the new micro SD card to the New 3DS after copying the licenses (still choosing via PC option) ? This part has been vague.....

Exactly what I will be doing only you won't even be prompted for transfer type if you tell it you are not using an SD or miniSD as it will know that you will just be swapping the microSD out after the system transfer.

7. After this is done, hit confirm on the new 3DS which will delete all data on the microSD in the new 3DS and then, restart the systems (I think it does this automatically)

8. Turn off both systems and get out 00 Phillips head screwdriver, open up the back cover of the new 3DS and take out the microSD card, put it aside (since you are using putting a larger one in).

9. Take out the microSD card from your old 3DS (with all your data on it) and put it in the new 3DS.

10. Power on the new 3DS with your larger capacity microSD card and while all your games will not be on the card, the license to use them and the saves will be there, all you need to do is re-download them from the eshop or put the game card in.

11. ? I'd assume at this stage, you can just get ready to sell your old 3DS on eBay/wherever. There is no more personal data on the system.

If you're already using a microSD card, I believe it just automatically transfers the licenses. Then put your microSD in the N3DS and you are good, no re-downloading required.

Has this been linked to yet in this thread? It took care of every single question I had about transferring.

Capcom - Upgrading to a New 3DS - Everything You Need To Know
This is the best guide I've seen, people should read this.

Yes, this will work.

Namikaze

I don't understand why you would choose Limited Transfer. All of your digital games are on your microSD card right now in your current 3DS. If you choose Transfer via PC then you won't have to download everything all over again. The only reason you would choose limited is if you can't transfer via PC, which is sounds like you can.

If you're already using a microSD card, I believe it just automatically transfers the licenses. Then put your microSD in the N3DS and you are good, no re-downloading required.

Cool, thanks guys. Y'all saved me some time.

xtradi

Banned
blablurn

So if it is my first 3DS system, i simply copy all data from 4gb micro sd included in new 3ds to the larger microsd by using PC, plug it back in, turn it on then just play the game? I don't need to use transfer at all?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I have to send in my 3DS to nintendo for repairs ($125) so I can transfer stuff to my new 3DS - I get the black screen of death whenever the wireless is turned on.

:/

So if it is my first 3DS system, i simply copy all data from 4gb micro sd included in new 3ds to the larger microsd by using PC, plug it back in, turn it on then just play the game? I don't need to use transfer at all?

You only need to transfer between different systems. If you're just upgrading your card, then you can just copy/paste the files via PC.

1) Looks like a good card to me.

2) Phillips Head #00 I believe

Ok so if I go the PC route all I have to do is move all my content onto the PC, move that content to my new micro SD, and then switch out the New 3DS micro SD with my new one and go through the transfer process in the system, right? I wouldn't need my 3DS XL for anything else?

ALM5252

I have a digital copy of Mario Kart 7 on my 2DS and want to merge with my 3DS XL i have right now. The 2DS has no Club Nintendo linked or an NNID.

Should I do a system transfer from my XL to the 2DS so that they can merge? And then transfer from the 2DS to the New XL when I get it next Friday?

Or will that mess up anything? The SD card in my XL is a 16GB micro in an adapter if it makes any difference.

I have a digital copy of Mario Kart 7 on my 2DS and want to merge with my 3DS XL i have right now. The 2DS has no Club Nintendo linked or an NNID.

Should I do a system transfer from my XL to the 2DS so that they can merge? And then transfer from the 2DS to the New XL when I get it next Friday?

Or will that mess up anything? The SD card in my XL is a 16GB micro in an adapter if it makes any difference.

From what I understand that can work. You can try but it might backfire and worst case scenario you have to call Nintendo CS and wait a couple of business days.

ALM5252

From what I understand that can work. You can try but it might backfire and worst case scenario you have to call Nintendo CS and wait a couple of business days.

Think I should call Nintendo CS and just ask if they can transfer the license to my XL instead? If not I'll do what you said, but maybe have them walk me through it. lol

Rootbeer

Banned
I have to send in my 3DS to nintendo for repairs ($125) so I can transfer stuff to my new 3DS - I get the black screen of death whenever the wireless is turned on.

:/
why?

can't you call nintendo and have them do a transfer over the phone? isn't that what people in this thread are saying is possible?

I'd do it that way... then just trade/sell your old 3ds to gamestop

ngower

I was on the fence about buying a New 3DS XL because I didn't wanna have to buy /re-buy all new games, but I just discovered (from here and elsewhere) that my NNID from a 3DS XL I sold can be used to do a system transfer of sorts, and I'll be able to get MH3U and some eshop games upon buying a New 3DS XL!

I had two 3DS XLs: one pre-NNID and one post-NNID. My pre-NNID console had MK7, AC:NL, SM3DL and a few other eshop titles, so I'm sad I can't do that transfer. But with this transfer plus registering my new 3DS XL to CN, I'll have enough points to pick up a game/few games, meaning I'll just need to re-buy Animal Crossing and I'm back in the 3DS family!

WOO!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
why?

can't you call nintendo and have them do a transfer over the phone? isn't that what people in this thread are saying is possible?

I'd do it that way... then just trade/sell your old 3ds to gamestop

and all of my save data...?

Rocky

Banned
I was on the fence about buying a New 3DS XL because I didn't wanna have to buy /re-buy all new games, but I just discovered (from here and elsewhere) that my NNID from a 3DS XL I sold can be used to do a system transfer of sorts, and I'll be able to get MH3U and some eshop games upon buying a New 3DS XL!

I had two 3DS XLs: one pre-NNID and one post-NNID. My pre-NNID console had MK7, AC:NL, SM3DL and a few other eshop titles, so I'm sad I can't do that transfer. But with this transfer plus registering my new 3DS XL to CN, I'll have enough points to pick up a game/few games, meaning I'll just need to re-buy Animal Crossing and I'm back in the 3DS family!

WOO!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nintendo already said the N3DS won't give any coins with Club Nintendo.

ngower

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nintendo already said the N3DS won't give any coins with Club Nintendo.

Really? Well that's a bummer. None of the games interest me that much anyways, except for maybe KI:U, but the purchase of AC:NL will bring me close enough to the 700 mark that I could just buy a few codes anyhoo. Or would redeeming my CN gifted games bring up surveys? Either way, I'll figure it out.

Top Bottom