• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the tetralogy complete, which is the best Uncharted game? SERIES SPOILERS

3=1=2=GA>4

I really don't know how to rank the games since I loved them all for different reasons.

Right now I consider U4 the worst in the series. It's a great game imo, but I'm not sure it's a great Uncharted game. The epilogue saved me from feeling disappointed with the second half.

UC1 > UC2 > UC4 > UC3

Yes. I liked Uncharted: Drake's Fortune the best. It was new, fun, and different during a time period when PS3's library was pretty terrible. It was the game that all of sudden made the $599 feel worthwhile.

UC2 was the best a sequel could possibly be and the MP was incredible.

UC3 had an OK story and good graphics but felt very safe. MP sucked.

UC4 is a return to form, but I got a little too much TLoU in my Uncharted during the early chapters especially. I haven't touched the MP and doubt I will. Amazing game, though.

SpokkX

Having recently played through them all i can safely say that uc 1,2 and 3 are not good games. Repetative shooters with too much boring encounters. 2 has some cool set pieces and the best story/dialogue of them. Shooting is just as boring..

Uncharted 4 was great though imo and clearly took inspiration from the masterpiece tlou

4 >>>>>>> 2 >> 3 > 1

kyser73

4=2

Haven't played GA.

4 & 2 equal because they are both the same franchise but approach themselves differently. 2 is Action then adventure, whereas 4 is more adventure then action. 4's storytelling is also more considered & for me the lack of supernatural elements was a bonus.

ghibli99

4=2>1>3>GA

As a whole, 4 got just about everything right.

2 was amazing and such a leap technologically and setpiece-wise that I consider it 4's equal in impact, but the main baddie was terrible (over-the-top in a TR2013 kind of way), and the final encounter is incredibly annoying.

1 is a sentimental favorite, and although aspects of it haven't aged well, I love the more laid-back tone of it, as well as its fun sense of adventure.

3 was OK, but I thought it took itself a bit too seriously. Early on, I also ran into a lot of bugs and even some crashes, which tarnished the experience for me.

GA's a great showpiece for the Vita's various features, but suffers from a lack of compelling characters and locations.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
4- Best story, amazing graphics, super polished, loved the "walking simulator" parts as I always found the combat the weakest link in the series.

2-great settings, set pieces and second best story in the series. Annoying last boss.

3- Best set pieces in the series, solid story, gameplay just felt a little off.

1- Great game, just hasn't aged well. Worst waves of bulletsponges gameplay in the series, annoying shit like jetskiing up the rapids etc.

Bandit1

For me, Uncharted 4 is hands down the best game in the series. We finally got to drive a Jeep, which was something I had wanted to do since the first game. The game was much more open and allowed you to explore as well as navigate in combat. The rope was really fun. And to me, Avery's story was more engrossing than any of the other historical aspects of the series.

Elixist

2 is my fave, the set pieces are awesome and the pacing is better than 4.

2>4>3 i still need to try part 1, i have it in collection.

i hope the dlc for 4 is just bombastic awesome set pieces. and a new improved train level!

I'll probably be the only one to say it, but Uncharted 1 is my favorite. 2 was alright, more of a step in the cinematic direction, which I'm not a big fan of. 3 and 4 are essentially remakes of 2 and suffer for not trying anything new, they're both very safe, by the books sequels. I love Last of Us though.

Ratings:
Uncharted 1: 4/5
Uncharted 2: 3/5
Uncharted 3: 2/5
The Last of Us: 4/5
Uncharted 4: 2/5

Drake's Fortune, hands down.

1> GA> 2> 3> 4

Shame really cause Drake's Fortune was such a good game, ND just didn't know what to do with it. If the series continues i'd love to see it continue in Bend's hands. They almost made a better Uncharted game than ND managed

lol, I don't know if YOU what 'it' is, because GA is way, way more forgettable and clunky that either 2/3/4.

Reedirect

4 > 2 = 3 >>>>> 1

A Thief's End has the most encounter variety, actually interesting puzzles and a great pirate story that isn't just an excuse for Hollywood spectacle. Love the others too, but 4 is the obvious winner here.

And I disagree with the notion that 4 doesn't have a setpiece that can match the train or the plane. The truck chase is the most exciting, well-developed, incredibly layered action scene I've ever seen in a videogame.

orborborb

Pretty sure 3 is my favorite because I had the most fun in its combat arenas. 2 and 4 are great as well and have better stories. I didn't enjoy the original Uncharted or the Vita one at all though.

I thought each one was better than the last. I enjoyed that the series was able to mature out of supernatural things. I thought that Uncharted 2 was the first really good game in the series, and that 3 and 4 kept iterating and refining what made it good.

I absolutely loved 4 start to finish sans the final boss fight. Which is something I don't think any of the games ever got right.

Phamit

3>2>4=1>GA

Gameplay of 4 is good and fun, but it was kinda just another adventure and some Cutscenes to wrap the story up.

Javin98

Banned
3=1=2=GA>4

I really don't know how to rank the games since I loved them all for different reasons.

Right now I consider U4 the worst in the series. It's a great game imo, but I'm not sure it's a great Uncharted game. The epilogue saved me from feeling disappointed with the second half.
Are we going to use this phrase for every game that tries to freshen the formula by changing and often improving the core mechanics now? First it was MGSV, now Uncharted 4 isn't a good Uncharted game?

jdstorm

Banned
I think the order you play these games in really effects how you feel about them. I was a late adopter on the PS3 and so the order I played them in was 3/1/2/4. Uncharted 2 and 3 are very samey. So I think that people tend to prefer whichever you played first.

For me the order is probably
1: uncharted 1 as a game has flaws. Endless bullet sponges and enemy waves, clunky shooting and the visuals have become completely outdated. Yet it features the most fun pulpy adventure romance plot, and Eleana is more prominent here then in any of the remaining 3 games. Ultimately these games are about her as much as Nate.
2: Uncharted 3. The young Nate sections are great and it has some of the series best set pieces. I was also completely blown away by the shipyard visually since it was my first uncharted so I didn't notice any poor pacing. Had a really hard time not putting this first. It's definitely the one I have replayed the most
3: uncharted 2: this game is almost universally loved for a reason. Being 3rd on this list is like being the 3rd best Zelda or Halo game. Incredible but bettered by two other games. UC2s set pieces don't nearly hold up as well if you didn't experience them at the time, and the ending tends to drag.
4: Uncharted 4: This game is a very pretty game that controls the best out of any in the series. However one of my least favourite tropes is when creators try and shoehorn new characters into an existing story where they clearly don't fit. Naughty Dog do a good job fitting Sam Drake into the narrative, but ultimately he's an unnecessary addition. Having a brother changes Nates whole personality and the overwhelming tone of guilt throughout the game brings down the tone and makes the game feel tired. Including Sam might have been worth it if he was interesting and bought a positive energy but for me he joins the list of worst fictional siblings of the past 20 years along with Trey Atwood and Dan Scott. Nothing involving Sam wouldn't have been improved by replacing him with Charlie Cutter. Which is a shame because Rafe and Nadine are great.

krae_man

2>1>4>3

2 and 1 are at the top because they have supernatural and the Elana story wasn't kicked to the curb and ruined.

Those are the two most important things in Uncharted and 3 and 4 destroyed them to tell new stories that don't work in Uncharted.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
4 > 3 = 2 > 1

Never played Golden Abyss.

4 maybe could have used a few more encounters, but the story and presentation was leagues above what came before. Makes 1 and 2 and quite a lot of 3 look rinky-dink by comparison. The last third of the game maybe gets a little long in the tooth (most clearly in chapter 21), but it isn't enough to ruin what came before or what comes after. Combat gameplay is top-notch, though it would be nice if enemies were just a little less accurate when you're swinging around and being acrobatic, constantly on the move and all that.

I like 2 and 3 both. Story was never that much of a draw for me before 4, and I don't see much of a quality difference between 2 and 3 in that and many other regards (MP is a different story). I disagree that 2 has perfect pacing, I think it suffers the same issue as Uncharted 4, but with a less interesting story to carry it along. The monastery through Shambala is entirely too long and endlessly wrought with fights that aren't supported by gameplay anywhere near as good as that in 4. The two games do have the series' best set-pieces though, I'll gladly give them that.

1 I played after 2. Mostly a drag.

MavFan619

Banned
4>2>3>1 never completed Golden Abyss. I loved 4 most for how it evolved it's combat with more variety in approach but even more for what it learned from TLOU in its non combat moments. 2 is probably the best as far as what Uncharted will be traditionally remembered for but 4 is as attached as I've felt to Nate and Elena especially and I loved it for that.

Babyshams

Uncharted 2, only game with decent aiming, and I mean that 2 had great aiming and the aiming is trash in every other game.

Enemy type and arenas were the best too, probably the worst in 3.

2 > 1 =4 >>> 3

U4=/>U3>U2>U1

Uncharted 4 is a masterpiece. The atmosphere, the pacing, the narrative and the set-pieces blow away every other game ever made in the action-adventure genre. On top of that, it has a AAA summer-blockbuster budget and feel that it shows-off non-stop, due to the amazing visuals, acting and polished presentation. On a final note, the treasure you're going after in this game is the most valuable and amazing one in the entire series. The game made me actually feel like I was on a treasure hunt, getting clues, exploring and having fun and exciting things happen along the way. The Libertalia treasure hoard [if real] would be the highest in monetary value of any of the other treasures you seek in the series - including the Iram of the Pillars/Shambala.

Uncharted 3 has amazing set-pieces and honestly feels like an interactive Indiana Jones movie from start to finish. To me, it's almost equal to Uncharted 4; hence the way I rated it.

Uncharted 2 is an awesome game but it just didn't give me the Indiana Jones feels that Uncharted 3 did.

Uncharted 1 started it all, but it's mediocre compared to the other three. It is, however a great game in it's own right.

For me, overall it's

2 > 4 > 3 > GA > 1

4's action just seemed less, I dunno awe inspiring then 2.

But in terms of story?

4 > 2 > 3 > 1 > GA.

TheWorst

2 > 4 > 3 > 1 > GA

2 and 4 are masterpieces that I'll come back to for years. I love 3 as well, even with its flaws. 1 and GA, on the other hand, are pretty mediocre, and I have no real desire to return to either of them anytime soon.

Catvoca

Banned
I can't decide between 2 and 4.

2?4 > 3 > 1 > GA

Yeah, I feel the same way. On the one hand, Uncharted 4 is probably a better game playing them now, but I liked Uncharted 2 at launch a bit more than I like Uncharted 4 at launch if you know what I mean.

1 and 3 are still great games though. Playing 1 in the collection really reminded me how it shined in the game play department, some of those encounters are wonderful. 3 is just a small step down from 2 for me, not quiet at tight but still fun, and I love how it starts to delve into the personal side of Nate more.

Ascenion

Pitiful guys, everybody sleeping on UC3. Upon replaying the NDC my final word is as follows:

UC3 >= UC2 > UC1 = UC4 > UGA

Uncharted 3 is the most pure form of summer blockbuster. It has the action, the setpieces and the bombast to beat. It is the suped up action sequel that people want.

Uncharted 2 is less than or equal to UC3 because depending on if I want pacing or bombast it could be either or, but I believe on the whole UC3 is an improvement over UC2. UC2 may be the best paced video game ever. It never feels slow, but it never feels too fast.

Uncharted DF is basically a creepy island adventure with explosions, comic relief and back in 2007 quite the unexpected twist. Game went from adventure, to action, to slight horror. It had some gameplay issues though and it hasn't aged well.

Uncharted 4 is equal to UC1 because it just doesn't live up to UC2 and 3's standards. It doesn't have perfect pacing and it doesn't have enough action. It's basically Man of Steel to me. Not awful, but not a masterpiece either. TLOU ruined this game imo.

Golden Abyss is legit just a worse UC1 with awful forced gimmicky controls and a generally bad cast aside from Maria Chase. It isn't worth playing more than once. Just terrible.

Lingitiz

Uncharted 4 is the best by modern standards. In terms of impact relative to is Era, Uncharted 2 no doubt. Masterclass of pacing and pushed the entire industry forward.

I really liked the supernatural elements of UC1 and UC2, not too over the top but the little bits really made the games more than just an action game. I know some people of course hated the supernatural stuff and prefer the more realistic versions in UC4.

On the other hand I absolutely love the pirate theme of UC4, its one of my favorite eras and I would easily pay $20-40/mo if ND would put out a 3-4 hour story DLC every month.

Really tough for me, especially since I only finished the UCC recently (first time) and UC4 last week so they are all still fresh in my mind. Right now I'd put it as

UC2 > UC4 (by a HAIR) > UC3 > UC1

Mostly due to the combat, I thought crushing in UC1 was really difficult whereas it felt easier in UC2 and UC3, and back to really hard in UC4 (except if you turned on cheats).

Story wise honestly I love em all and I think without UC1-3 UC4's story makes no sense, but on the other hand I am not a huge fan of the retconning of Sam in UC4, especially as it seems to diminish Scully and Nate's story.

Damn, the entire topic just makes me sad that it may be years before we get more Uncharted :( We need more publishers dipping into this Tomb Raider / Uncharted segment.

2 > 4 > 1 > 3

Uncharted 1 will always be my favorite though, from the atmosphere and simple gameplay, to the variety of enemies and atmosphere, and the surprising
horror elements (note: I don't play horror games and the monsters and basement section surprised and scared the shit out of me)

Uncharted 2 had everything right, again with the variety that I mentioned above but done perfectly and abundantly.

Endo Punk

UC4> UC2> UC3> UC

UC4 is just so content rich that even if the story didn't deliver I'd still rate it best. The game nails everything and is the UC game I always wanted to see from the franchise. So fulfilled with the experience that I'll never come back to the franchise if it does continue (which it really shouldn't).

slade

UC1>UC2>UC4=UC3>UCGA

Golden Abyss suffers for having been on the Vita and it is the one UC game I have played the least. UC1 remains my favorite because it was a good mixture of action/adventure with a slight horror tinge towards the end. Never really liked that the following games did not continue that type of narrative. UC4, I loved as I was playing it but the game has too many slow sections and they removed any hint of the supernatural. UC3 was good but the story was pure BS with the way it went about setting up Nate's background and then did absolutely nothing with it.

skelekey

3>2>4>1

As great as 4 is there are a slew of problems that hamper it's replayability and it has the worst multiplayer. Hand to hand sucks since they removed the counter button. heck some fights you can only punch. Way too much walking and climbing. I started a new game and was put off after having to skip 2 cinematics in a row only to be forced into walking around.

There are some groundbreaking moments In UC4, but sometimes I just want to go in and have fun and a good portion of UC4 works against that.

Are we going to use this phrase for every game that tries to freshen the formula by changing and often improving the core mechanics now? First it was MGSV, now Uncharted 4 isn't a good Uncharted game?

Don't lump me in with those people. The changes to the core mechanics are my favorite parts of Uncharted 4.

It's the complete package that feels off. Can't really put words to it yet but even after platinuming that's how I feel.

3>2>4>1

As great as 4 is there are a slew of problems that hamper it's replayability and it has the worst multiplayer. Hand to hand sucks since they removed the counter button. heck some fights you can only punch. Way too much walking and climbing. I started a new game and was put off after having to skip 2 cinematics in a row only to be forced into walking around.

There are some groundbreaking moments In UC4, but sometimes I just want to go in and have fun and a good portion of UC4 works against that.

Yeah I'm still confused why ND decided to do that with combat. Melee in Uncharted 3 was so great!

2>4>3>1>GA

4 does pretty much everything better than 2 on a case by case basis (except set pieces), but 2 has the perfect pacing and encounter variety that push it ahead, as well as a personal preference to the atmosphere of that game. I'm a sucker for the snowy settings.

Top Bottom