• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the tetralogy complete, which is the best Uncharted game? SERIES SPOILERS

If they all had the gobsmacking presentation and the refined mechanics of UC4, I'd rank them:

UC2 > UC3 > UC4 > UC1

UC2 had the best balance of all of the game elements and is a joy to replay. UC3 was even more epic than UC2, had great heart through the history with Sully and had the best puzzles but they went overboard on the linear sprint sections and didn't mix up melee enough. UC4 is best at stealth but has too much traversal and walk-and-chatting, and the weakest puzzles.

SparkTR

2 I'd say. I found the pacing on 4 to be so, so bad. I liked it and the story was interesting but it didn't keep my interest even when the previous games did.

HardRojo

Uncharted 4 needed that cut sword fight between the brothers so badly. I still feel like I need to explore the intricacies of the combat system, as they've taken some stuff from TLoU, and I fucking love the gameplay in TLoU, it was refined over Uncharted in many ways.
As of now, it's hard to decide whether I like 2 or 4 more, but I gotta say the presentation, graphics, improved stealth and hand-to-hand combat on UC4 are making it the likeliest candidate for my favorite Uncharted game.

Novocaine

I think it's quadrilogy.

For me it would be UC2 > UC4 > UC1 = UC3.

I didn't finish 1 or 3, found them a little boring. 2 was well paced. 4 was about 5-6 chapters too long, kind of wore out its welcome by the end but it had the best combat.

SSReborn

UC2 -> UC4 -> UC3 = UC1

2 had a more consistent pace from a gameplay perspective than 4 and that puts it ahead imo.

I think that a poll would have been good for this thread also, consensus seems to fall into either UC4 and UC2 being the best in the series.

I'd put UC3 way above UC1 but I think I grew fond of the changes in the remaster so they are much closer

2 > 4 >>> 3 > 1

UC4 is a beautiful game with a shockingly decent story but it's not nearly as ground breaking (pun not intended) as 2 was.

3 had way too much shooting and I'm glad they toned it down considerably in 4 and focused on platforming.

1 was fine for its time but doesn't really hold up as well as the rest

Sounds like a good first post to me

Lorr

(Edit: agreed with the above!)

UC3 = UC4 = UC2 >> UC1

Slight personal preference in the order listed. Overall 3 was my favorite adventure due to the themes, music, cast, settings, and setpieces. 4's gameplay was the best in the series with all the possible ways you could tackle combat situations as well as some great exploration segments, and 2 probably has the best pacing of any game I've played.

rekameohs

Banned
I think I would go UC2 > UC3 > UC4 >>>> UC1, but 2, 3, and 4 are all great games. 1 is decent at best, but it's worth playing for fans of the others

Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 4
Uncharted 1

I feel that Uncharted 2 is the undisputed king. It was such a jump in quality, story, and action that even after finishing U4, I feel that no other game topped it. U2's final boss is a total bummer (but I feel none of the games did boss fights very well), but the rest of the game totally makes up for it. The train chase, the jeep fight in the game's third chapter, the hotel, Shambhala, all of it was just so extraordinary.

I really enjoyed Uncharted 3 because the stakes felt higher and more slippery from Drake's grasp. It's set pieces were also pretty great too. I loved the plane fight and Drake's isolated trek through the desert was pretty great.

Uncharted 4 and Uncharted 1 are neck and neck to me. Gameplay wise, U1 doesn't hold up quite as well as 2 or 3, but it's a damn fine realization of what ND was trying to go for. U4, while pretty, fell flat for me. The car chase in Madagascar is just about the only memorable thing in the game. I didn't care much for the retcon of Nathan's childhood and the pacing just felt too slow. Lots and lots and lots of traversal with not a whole lot of payoff. Also, I feel like ND was just trying to show off: U4 is GORGEOUS in every possible way and I think they were more concerned with building a large, luscious world. A lot of it could have been streamlined a little bit. U4's epilogue was a beautiful end to the franchise, which edges it past U1 on my list.

JBwB

I replayed the Uncharted collection right before heading into 4 so I could get a good handle of where I'd rank each of them in terms of enjoyment without being biased by nostalgia.

My rankings after playing all of them back to back:
UC4 >> UC2 > UC3 >>> UC1

I used to have UC1 ahead of UC3 but it's clear to me now that the issues in 1 weren't apparent to me when I last played it back in 2007. The reason for that is probably due to the fact that the mechanics didn't feel dated back then.

UC2 was no doubt a great experience and easily the best out of the PS3 games but the story pales in comparison to UC4. I was more emotionally invested in UC4 than the rest of the other games combined.

As a side note I still don't get peoples problems with the sword fight at the end of UC4. Were you guys just not good at it or what?

Not gonna write too much

2>4> 3=1

(cavaet - haven't replayed 3 more than once I dont think but 1 I have multiple times - that said I know 1 hasn't aged well).

loved 2. Loved 2's MP.

I'd say 3 is the weakest because of how underwhelming it was coming off 2 and all its problems like the wonky shooting at launch. I really disliked UC3 when the shooting mechanics were busted.

zsynqx

Uncharted 4>Uncharted2>Uncharted 1>Uncharted 3

Can understand why people prefer 2 to 4. The others, not so much.

TLOU still number 1.

UC2 >>>> UC4>=UC3 >>>>>>> UC1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>≥>> GA

For me UC4 is let down by its pacing and lack of set pieces, though it is certainly the best of the series gameplay and graphics wise

Floody

With my rose tinted glasses on
2>4>>3>1
Uncharted 2, is imo a complete masterpiece, I can't think of anything I dislike about it, it also completely blew me away when it first released, never has a game completely destroyed my expectations like it did, with set-pieces that still haven't been touched by anyone other then ND.

Uncharted 4, has by far the series best gameplay, story and graphics, also has some fantastic set-pieces, but they just never wowed me like 2's and 3's did, the slow start hurt it too, but all in all an amazing game.

Uncharted 3, had the series best set-pieces, but at the price of the pacing and story, also hate that enemies have no reaction to getting shot.

Uncharted 1, hasn't aged well, but set some great foundations for the franchise to build from.

Without my rose tinted glasses.
4>2>>3>1
I have 4 at number 1 just because, it's does everything (except pacing) as good if not better than 2.

Never played Golden Abyss.

Zolbrod

Agree pretty much with the first post:

U2 >>>>> U4 >>> U3 = U1

Although to be honest, I'd have to play the collection again to see how the first 3 games hold up. I definitely have the best memories of U2 though. The pacing was impeccable, which can definitely not be said of any of the other games.

Storywise, U4 is definitely the best, but U2 had the best characters.
Yes, it was obvious that Flynn was going to betray you, but at least the game is smart enough to get it out of the way in like the second chapter or something, unlike U4, where Sam's completely obvious betrayal happens somewhere in the latter half of the game.

I'm also one of the few people on the planet who didn't absolutely despise the final boss. It was a very "videogamey" boss fight, yes, but I'll take that over uninspired QTEs any day. Also, fuck that fencing fight with Rafe.

I'd go as far as saying that U2 was the only really great game, and the rest vary from decent to bad. Doing my second playthrough of U4 now (on Crushing) and it's really obvious that the pacing is terrible and there are a lot of parts that are just NO fun to play through again.
I'm curious to see what people will think of U4 once the hype has died down a bit in a few months. Back when U3 came out everybody sang its praises as well, but a lot of people are saying they hate it now. Wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing were to happen to U4 as well.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this and I don't really care.

I am completely fine with admitting UC4's technical superiority over the other games.

However, while I feel it's narrative is the most focuses and best paced of all the games, several of its gameplay sections feel poorly placed and like they are overly long.

However we seem to be in an era where how many hours it takes to beat your game decides its value so I am sure most of you will disagree with what I said above.

While I am again happy to say that UC4 is the most superior of the games on a functional level, I actually enjoyed the overall experiences of playing UC2 + UC3 more. Wouldn't really rank them though other to say I "enjoyed" 2&3 more than 4 and all three of those more than 1.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Uncharted 4 > Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 1

It ended perfectly. 4 blew me away even more than 2 did, and that was something I didn't think was possible.

2 is easily the best. Just the right balance of everything. Playing that game felt like playing a movie and I always love that feel.

After completing 4 I thought it would be an easy second place, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd put it over three. They both have their pros and cons. 3 is more over the top with a somewhat weak story, but some great set pieces, that I really loved. 4, on the other hand, has a pretty good story, but there aren't really many great moments in the game itself that stand out. So right now, I'm not sure how I'd rank these two.

The first Uncharted is still a decent games, but definitely in last place among the four.

2 > 4 >>> 3 > 1

UC4 is a beautiful game with a shockingly decent story but it's not nearly as ground breaking (pun not intended) as 2 was.

3 had way too much shooting and I'm glad they toned it down considerably in 4 and focused on platforming.

1 was fine for its time but doesn't really hold up as well as the rest

3 has less shooting than 1 and especially 2...

For me it got better with each entry though it's a very close call between 2 and 3.
So yeah, U4>U3>U2>U1.
I don't really think of them as separate games though, in my mind it's just one big ride.

Uncharted 4 is by far the best one. All of the pieces - The tech, the acting, the art, the combat - all better here than they've ever been. And the story does a lot of the stuff that 2 (the old best one) did, like making Nate make choices between 2 different characters and trying to find some middle ground. The Madagascar chase scene from E3 is also the best action swtpiece in any Uncharted hands down.

Uncharted 4 is everything that Uncharted 3 should've been.

4 (A masterpiece)
2 (Considered it in my top 5 GOAT before 4)
1 (Fun, from start to finish)
Golden Abyss (Really enjoyed it, far more so than 3)
3 (Hard a tough time finishing 3 - did not enjoy the combat at all)

4 >>> 2 > 1 > 3

I've really enjoyed Uncharted 4. I feel the pace is perfect to me and the story is really interesting.

The other 3 games were all great adventure games, but U4 is something more.

I also love the way they did the references to other games and their own legacy. So elegant and touching.

BiggNife

3 has less shooting than 1 and especially 2...
I fully admit that I have not played the PS3 Uncharteds since they came out but I just remember every shooting section in UC3 feeling like a massive slog and it felt like there were too many of them. Meanwhile, I didn't have that problem in 2. I guess it's a pacing thing.

Dweebo

Banned
4 > 2 > 3 > 1

Great series. 2 and 3 I liked a lot, 1 was a little rough but enjoyable, and then 4 felt like it perfected everything they were going for in the series.

I fully admit that I have not played the PS3 Uncharteds since they came out but I just remember every shooting section in UC3 feeling like a massive slog and it felt like there were too many of them. Meanwhile, I didn't have that problem in 2. I guess it's a pacing thing.

Well, my biggest issue with UC2 is precisely the segment from the
ending of the chase until you enter shambala
, which is actually very badly paced because it's a huge stretch with encounter after encounter after encounter which makes that part feel like a bit of chore on replays, whereas UC3, besides having a significantly lower number of total enemies, never has so many consecutive encounters, not even close.

But I'm pretty damn tired of going over this lol, I have a hard time choosing between both games myself but like I said I don't give it much thought, this thread just made me wonder how I feel about UC4 in relation to the others since it's quite a departure in a lot of ways, but like I said I feel it's my favorite of the bunch.
I barely touch Uncharted threads because they invariably end up dominated by UC2 vs UC3 discussions and that ridiculous "ludonarrative dissonance" mumbo jumbo.

I agree wtih Edge,

It's 4 and it's not even close. I can't go back to the others, which feel extremely limited now. Combat is leagues ahead in 4, but the wider environments also improve navigation and exploring for treasures.

4 is also the best-written game of the lot.

For me, 2 is still easily the best in the series.
It has the best pacing, the more interesting environments and set pieces and 2 is also when the characters in the series are at their best. My opinion, of course.

2 > 4 > 3 > 1

FZW

2>3>4>GA>1

Uncharted 4 is great but there were times i literally fell asleep playing it. So many slow parts. Both it and the first Uncharted are the only ones I dont feel very motivated to platinum. I probably will Platinum 4 eventually but you couldnt pay me to replay the first Uncharted. That game aged like a banana.

It didn't really matter how amazing Uncharted 4's storytelling was going to be. If they didn't top the amount of fun I had with 2's set-pieces' music, visuals, and level design, it never had a chance. Madagascar finale came close, but it was ultimately a very good greatest hits of past Uncharted set-pieces without coming close to topping the train and village tank. To make matters worse, it was really the only set-piece in the game that was going for that. Maybe it was for the best so that we didn't get the shit set-pieces of 3, but still dissapointing.

KyleCross

2>4>1>3>GA

4 actually made me seriously debate with myself rather I thought it was the best in the series during the credit roll. Considering 2 is one of my favorite games of all time that is one hell of an achievement.

2>=4>1>3

I'm having a hard time, right now deciding whether 2 or 4 is better.

Uncharted 1 was a very simple adventure game. Everything takes place on the same island for better and for worse. I think the mystery part towards the end was one of the better in the series, a good introduction. Gameplay has issues.

Uncharted 2 was perfection. The gameplay felt perfect, everything Uncharted 1 was, but perfected. I felt that the melee was perfect for what it was. I feel the later games did a lot more with melee, but it didn't quite feel like it was there yet. The pacing was fantastic. I can't think of any game that had better pacing. Always felt like there was something. The train level, falling skyscraper, helicopters, these were amazing. They feel more genuine than Uncharted 3's set pieces. The gameplay felt perfect, the story felt great. The story wasn't some deep adventure, but it was absolutely brilliantly told. Loved the train for so many reasons. Love the fact that we start on it, climbing up. And we find ourselves catching up to the story, and find ourselves on the train again. Maybe it hasn't even quite clicked at that point, but when it does it's awesome. The set pieces in Uncharted 2, they feel deeper than they do in 3. I loved it and played it 10 times start to finish. And quite frankly I could keep going on about what I loved about 2, Tenzin levels, Jeff, and more.

Uncharted 3, felt like it was trying to make Drake's story a much deeper one. But I feel like it didn't quite get it. The first time I played, Cutter for example just felt like a random guy. Which seems like a poor introduction to a character who you spend the next several chapters with. Honestly, playing the second time makes the game feel better for this and a few other reasons. The most bothersome part in the game was during the shipwreck section. It just felt like a really long section just to set up a set piece. Like an hour, hour and a half of the game in this one part. I think the only thing that really ends up happening during this section was that we find out that Sully is not actually there. Aside from that, the ship set piece, though it's really cool; doesn't feel as genuine as the set pieces that we had in Uncharted 2. It feels avoidable. For me this section, was the only section in the entire Uncharted series where I was wanting it to be done. Aside from that, the game is very good; a little different at times, but it's great.

Uncharted 4, now that I'm thinking about it is difficult to place. I feel like it does a much better job at making a deep story than Uncharted 3, which set up the story for it. It also feels like for the most part it has some of the best pacing in the franchise. Uncharted 2 still easily tops it pacing wise. There were some parts that felt longer than they should have been, but not to the extent that I felt in Uncharted 3. Melee feels mixed here. In some ways it feels better than 3, and other ways it feels worse. Don't know how to explain it. One complaint I have with the melee is that there were some fights where it almost felt like Nate was being held back. Like for some reason, he isn't as good of a fighter when he's fight Nadine as he usually is. Which feels off. There was some great character stuff here, with Elena, Drake, that was amazing. Shooting feels great, just like it was in 2.

I think overall right now, Uncharted 2 is probably on average a better game personally, but there are a couple of incredibly fantastic moments in 4 that probably put it up to a tie.

Daffy Duck

I'll tell you the worst one, Uncharted 2.

The cheese of the final boss is off the scale, yes I'm on the hunt for the thread about the game to moan about it but I can't find it.

I'm really wound up now by this final boss battle that I've had to turn it off.

Everything about it fucking sucks and it's nothing but luck, sometimes you can't see him coming for you, other times he blows up the sap with his grenades/shots it's total bullshit.

Then there's the rest of the enemies that can fuck you up easily, I'm playing on normal and it's like I've been playing on hard, I don't feel this is a fair game at all.

I'll be glad when I'm done with it because I have taken a very strong dislike to it it, so much so it's tainted my experience of playing UC2.

From what I've played, and I haven't played 4 yet, UC3>UC1>UC2

Hugstable

Banned
Uncharted 2 for me in a way

It's really hard for me to choose, Uncharted 1 holds a very special place in my heart and I would love to call it the best game in the series, but I still know deep down that it's just not as great as 2 ended up being overall in terms of pacing, set pieces, etc. It was just the first game of it's kind that I played, and god damn I stayed up multiple nights completely the game multiple times on the many difficulties. Just loved the Indiana Jones adventure type feeling of the game and nothing else at the time gave me those kind of feels like Uncharted 1 did. But man did UC2 step it up, and it's Multiplayer when it launched was amazing (I wish they would go back to the arena shooter style with weapon spawns and suich :()

My overall list goes

2>1>3>4

UC4
UC2
UC3
Golden Abyss
UC1

Also, its interesting that OP said Sam is unattractive. Thinking about it I guess I would've liked him more if he was good looking. Seems kinda douchy but when a character isn't good looking its hard to like them for some reason.
Then again, I don't think they wanted us to like him that much. But that also doesn't seem so smart because we're spending a lot of time with him.

ITT I find out people think really highly of the original game. It was an okay, and good foundation for the franchise, but the game doesn't even come close to what follows it.

2>4>3>>>>1

Bowl0l

UC4 = UC2 > UC1 > UC3
UC4 allows cheats without completing Hard.
Not a fan of a chapter filled with explosions..
Talbot is overused in UC3. Probably they are compensating the lack of a proper boss fight.

Top Bottom