• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Trump’s Election, a Bonanza for Washington Lobbyists

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So basically lobbyists are preparing to take advantage of the situation of a united government. -- I'm not surprised.

Now let's see if Trump can maintain his course and get this shit out of our lawmaking

Blader

The public is not rational. Any failings of the Trump Presidency will be blamed on Democrats.

"Not rational" is an overstatement. But maybe we can take solace in the fact that, despite losing the Electoral College and millions of Obama voters and shouldering of years of earned and undeserved baggage, Hillary Clinton still won the popular vote while Trump's total votes were a million less than Romney's. This election was decided by a little over 100k people in three Rust Belt states.

When Trump and a unified Republican government inevitably tank this country and harm working-class whites even more, we don't need to convince ALL of them that their plight is because of the people they elected, just a handful of them. Obama did it, Bill did it, even Carter did it the first time.

The public may not be rational or widely educated, but they also historically lash out at whoever is in power, regardless of party.

I thought perhaps Trump could pair lower domestic rates with increased excise taxes on their overseas built products, but you're probably right. Don't discount the possibility of Trump using the bully pulpit either; he was naming names during the campaign - Ford, Whirlpool, etc. I'm admittedly more optimistic than I should be, but united government can get things done if they really want to.

Obviously a unified government can get more things done than a divided one. That doesn't mean they'll be good things. And with the current state of the GOP, and considering who will be in the White House, I think it's fair to fear what this unified government is going to get done.

Steejee

He's draining the swamp...

...that is a protected national park so that his buddies can build luxury estates.

dramatis

So basically lobbyists are preparing to take advantage of the situation of a united government. -- I'm not surprised.

Now let's see if Trump can maintain his course and get this shit out of our lawmaking
Get it out? His transition team is made of lobbyists.
Jeffrey Eisenach, a consultant who has worked for years on behalf of Verizon and other telecommunications clients, is the head of the team that is helping to pick staff members at the Federal Communications Commission.

Michael Catanzaro, a lobbyist whose clients include Devon Energy and Encana Oil and Gas, holds the “energy independence” portfolio.

Michael Torrey, a lobbyist who runs a firm that has earned millions of dollars helping food industry players such as the American Beverage Association and the dairy giant Dean Foods, is helping set up the new team at the Department of Agriculture.

Mr. Trump was swept to power in large part by white working-class voters who responded to his vow to restore the voices of forgotten people, ones drowned out by big business and Wall Street. But in his transition to power, some of the most prominent voices will be those of advisers who come from the same industries for which they are being asked to help set the regulatory groundwork.

The president-elect’s spokeswoman, Hope Hicks, declined a request for comment, as did nearly a dozen corporate executives, consultants and lobbyists serving on his transition team, which was outlined in a list distributed widely in Washington on Thursday.

A number of the people on that list are well-established experts with no clear interest in helping private-sector clients. But to critics of Mr. Trump — both Democrats and Republicans — the inclusion of advisers with industry ties is a first sign that he may not follow through on all of his promises.

“This whole idea that he was an outsider and going to destroy the political establishment and drain the swamp were the lines of a con man, and guess what — he is being exposed as just that,” said Peter Wehner, who served in the administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush before becoming a speechwriter for George W. Bush. “He is failing the first test. And he should be held accountable for it.”

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So basically, it's just like Trump's "I need to know how to be able to break the rules in order to fix them!" aspect actually coming into fruition.

I can probably guess just how much 'draining' will go on in terms of corporate interests.

dorikyasu

His plan to drain the swamp will end up building...

Hall_of_Doom.jpg

in the end.

Dude Abides

Banned
So... How will Trump supporters react when they realise they've been conned? Will they realise that?

Of course not. His supporters are the markiest of marks.

Exhibit A.

Ryzaki009

How on Earth is anyone still laughing at the stupidity of the GOP at this point?

Cause it's all we can do. It's coming might as well get that schadenfreude in.

I just can't believe people are this stupid. It's not like he kept him being a scam artist secret. People are just this dumb.

RPGCrazied

Cause it's all we can do. It's coming might as well get that schadenfreude in.

I just can't believe people are this stupid. It's not like he kept him being a scam artist secret. People are just this dumb.

I'm still in shock 47% didn't vote at all. Really? What is wrong with these people.

Toxi

Banned

It's gonna be a long four years of willful delusion.

MogCakes

So... How will Trump supporters react when they realise they've been conned? Will they realise that?

Blame will be placed on immigrants and minorities, of course. The key to maintaining power is to never let yourself be seen in the limelight - the rich will continue to manipulate the poor to their benefit.

Ryzaki009

I'm still in shock 47% didn't vote at all. Really? What is wrong with these people.

Their principles were more important than compromise. Welp this is what they got. I wonder if they'll feel the same next time they get a choice like this?

Like I understand the sit out protest in a normal election but this was not the time to decide to throw your little hissy fit you didn't get exactly what you wanted. Do that when you have two bland options, not when one's literally a grenade.

subrock

Their principles were more important than compromise. Welp this is what they got. I wonder if they'll feel the same next time they get a choice like this?

Like I understand the sit out protest in a normal election but this was not the time to decide to throw your little hissy fit you didn't get exactly what you wanted. Do that when you have two bland options, not when one's literally a grenade.
People that don't vote can't make the connection between government and their well being. I doubt they'll figure it out for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom