• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Without Remorse - Official Teaser Trailer (based on the novel by Tom Clancy)

Without Remorse stars Michael B. Jordan as John Clark, a Navy SEAL, who goes on a path to avenge his wife's murder only to find himself inside of a larger conspiracy. It is slated to hit theaters on September 18, 2020. The Without Remorse Instagram page also posted a first look image of Jordan in the new movie: https://www.instagram.com/withoutremorsemovie/

Some info on the long development of the movie:

Savoy Pictures first bought the film rights to Without Remorse soon after the novel was released for $2.5 million. Keanu Reeves was offered the role as Clark for $7 million but declined. Variety magazine reported that Laurence Fishburne and Gary Sinise were later attached to star in the adaptation; however, production was shut down due to script problems and financial woes with the production company.

The film went under development hell for years until Christopher McQuarrie signed on with Paramount Pictures to direct the adaptation in 2012. Tom Hardy was approached by Paramount to play Clark, and Kevin Costner was slated to reprise his role as mentor William Harper from another Clancy-based film, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014), but this version was scrapped.

In 2017, it was announced that Akiva Goldsman signed on with the same studio to produce another film adaptation starring Clark, Rainbow Six. On September 20, 2018, Michael B. Jordan was announced to be playing the character in a two-part film series, which will be composed of Without Remorse and Rainbow Six and with Goldsman, Jordan, Josh Appelbaum, and Andre Nemec producing.

In December 2018, Stefano Sollima (ACAB, Suburra, Sicario: Day of the Soldado) was hired to direct the film. On January 9, 2019, Variety announced that Taylor Sheridan will rewrite the screenplay. In September, Jamie Bell and Jodie Turner-Smith were cast, with Luke Mitchell, Jacob Scipio, Cam Gigandet, Jack Kesy, Todd Lasance and Brett Gelman joining in October.

And the style of the writer, Taylor Sheridan (Sicario, Hell or High Water, Wind River):

He is known for toying with the form and structure of a screenplay in his work. In Sicario, Sheridan incorporated a "five-act structure and a five-act structure within that." He believes in the intelligence of the audience, and uses the structure and context of his stories as a way to subvert expectations: "I look at each movie as, ‘How am I breaking the rules this time?’"

Anyway, I started reading Rainbow Six earlier this year. Without Remorse is another Tom Clancy novel that I own though I didn't get around to reading it yet. It doesn't look like this will be a direct adaptation of the book.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
NO WAY IN HELL does Rainbow Six get a straight adaptation! Neither would WR really. I'm hoping these are good movies but I'm terrified of how they will twist the message.

And this must explain why John Clark never showed up on the amazon Jack Ryan show. I guess they didn't have the rights. Maybe they can have Ding Chavez though, he was the man!

jason10mm

Gold Member
What's your opinion on the first season? Your post reminded me that I still need to watch it.

I liked it quite a bit. Second season wasnt as good and dumps a lot of the "this guy is gonna be jack ryan" stuff in favor of making more like Jason bourne/jack bauer.

Still, they have decent production values. But this movie news makes me wonder just how much clancyverse they can actually use.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Another Clancy character/story butchered. I'd like the Jack Ryan tv stuff it wasn't, you know, called Jack Ryan. That isn't Jack Ryan, 2nd season it was Jack Bauer. Meanwhile Mr. Clark is a product of the cold war, not of Afghanistan. I guess the plan all along has been to make movies that will appeal to new/younger audiences while shamelessly using Clancy's brand to sucker in older fans. They seem to be... without remorse.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Huh. That's an action movie all right.

I'm kinda curious about how all of these "disgruntled/wronged spec-ops guys go hunting government officials" stories are dealing with the post Jan 6 world when it doesn't seem so funny/"outlandishly never gonna happen but still righteous" anymore.

White guy neo-nazi antagonists I guess.....how did poor Guy Pierce end up in this type of role?

T8SC

Can we get some Ding Chavez in there too?

181104-ding_chavez_from_rogue_spear.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Without Remorse is a great book. I don't recognize a single element from the book in this other than the protagonist's name, but still looks cool as its own thing.

Top Bottom