• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wizardry as Old Time Dungeon Fun

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I grew up remembering seeing these games on the shelves of PC stores and other retail outlets.

What strikes me is the old fashioned dungeon crawling and the amazing unforgettable titles i.e. Bane of the Cosmic Forge or Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

yvayNML.jpg

Most of all here is the Japanese games. Japan apparently really loves the Wizardry series in a way the French love Jerry Lewis.

It was a small surprise to me that there are actually more Japanese Wizardry games then there are American ones and imo even seem to be better games overall.

ADKR5ed.jpg

I love RPGs and JRPGs in general but a good dungeon crawl is always worth the look. While there's a special place in my heart for wire frame hallways, the Japanese anime style with beautifully dangerous corridors really gets my attention.

So now with time I look through the catalogs of Google-fu all the precious Wizardry games and what they have to offer. Oddly even though the latter games in the series catch my attention, the Japanese titles even moreso pique my interest.

There's an oddity though.

I could have sworn there was a Wizardry 9 that was made and released not long ago. I don't mean the developer (forgot his name) offshoots like Wizard and Warriors or Dungeon Lords but an actual game titled Wizardry 9. Is this the Mandela Effect?

But then I didn't know just how popular it all was in Japan!

oWDCu9e.jpg

Anyways this is just appreciation for the series both on the East and West. Go on let's see if we ever get more.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played Bane and Savant a lot. The older games I remember my brothers playing.

Fantastic games, although in Bane I got stuck. While my bro's made it farther, I must have missed a key or something. There was that pyramid to get and past and I couldn't get through a locked door. I quit.

Wiz 7 was great too, though clunky. One of my bros and I beat it. The odd thing about the game was the House of Gorrors bosses were harder than the main boss. Only killed a few of them.

One thing that sucked about each game is character creation. In order to get certain classes, you had to keep re-rolling certain races. Like if you wanted a Ninja you had to skew to a Faerie I think because their stats fit the class better. Shit like that.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I own all the original series and plan to play them one day.

I really like the look of them, but I know they are going to be hard. Old school hard.

One day.

anthraticus

Banned
How can the art style be "wapanese" if the game was made by Japanese developers and artists for a Japanese audience and never released outside of Japan?
My mistake, forgot wapanese meant 'made by a person of non-japanese descent'.

Replace it with weeb, anime....ect..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Here's what's next for the series. The name is not final apparently, no clue what VA stands for either tbh.

It looks pretty damn sweet honestly. Other such games on mobile have looked sweet too however. If only they weren't brainless repetitive gachafied grindfests. Like SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI Liberation D×2. I'd buy games like that and this one at full price in a heartbeat if they were proper instead...

Btw op, maybe you're confusing Might & Magic X that Ubisoft sort of revived in the not too distant past (after the success of stuff like Legend of Grimrock I guess) since on the surface those games appear very similar to later western Wizardry games like 8 (which imo top anything from Japan).

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Here's what's next for the series. The name is not final apparently, no clue what VA stands for either tbh.

It looks pretty damn sweet honestly. Other such games on mobile have looked sweet too however. If only they weren't brainless repetitive gachafied grindfests. Like SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI Liberation D×2. I'd buy games like that and this one at full price in a heartbeat if they were proper instead...

Btw op, maybe you're confusing Might & Magic X that Ubisoft sort of revived in the not too distant past (after the success of stuff like Legend of Grimrock I guess) since on the surface those games appear very similar to later western Wizardry games like 8 (which imo top anything from Japan).

Well, shit that's awe....

Aw damn it's a dumb ass mobile game.

Top Bottom