• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0407-0917 - Baby & the Beast still Going In Style, auds con. to Ghost ScarJo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be curious to see if territories outside of China will see a feclineto the levels of 6 or not.
Apparently I had a stroke mid-post.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that happens.

Fast 6 made about $720M worldwide outside of China. Given that China looks set to at least match Furious 7's total of $390M, the rest of the world could pull Fast 6 numbers and we'd still get a $1.1B total.

I feel like this year is going to be BatB and Fate of the Furious fighting over second place worldwide, with Despicable Me 3 potentially pulling an upset if Minions didn't cool people on the talking bananas.
It does seem probable that both BatB and F8 will both end up around $1.2B. I don't see DM3 getting there thanks to the reception of Minions, but I could be wrong; trailer views are very strong and, anecdotal but disturbing, that Minions ride at Universal had a 90 minute wait when I was there.

I still think there's going to be an aspect of "a rising tide lifts all boats" with some of these packed back-to-back weekends. More people at the box-office is a good thing, generally, so long as your film doesn't have shit word of mouth.
If the films are appealing, people will definitely show up. Summer 2013 was similar, with just hit after hit after hit every weekend until mid-August. It led to some very bad legs for movies, but that's still the biggest summer ever by about 10%.

Schlorgan

Saw Beauty and the Beast tonight. I was pleasantly surprised. I can definitely see the appeal. It reminded me of Les Miserable (trying to emulate old Hollywood with lots of long sweeping takes comprising of dozens of extras all doing their own thing during the musical numbers) but with a much broader appeal. I especially appreciated the things they added to flesh out Belle and the Beast.

I actually thought the Beast looked very convincing but the wolves were kind of distracting. They reminded me of the wolves from the Twilight films.

I was also a bit distracted when Cogsworth and Lumiere transformed into Ian McKellen and Ewan McGregor.

Pachimari

In no way does Thor Ragnarok reach a billion. It's also questionable that Spidey will get there. And even though I want GotG2 to reach that cornerstone I also have my doubts it'll get there.

out of all the comic movies this year I think JL and maaybe GOTG 2 will hit a billion.

I don't really see any of the others having a shot at it, although spiderman might come the closest.

Beauty and the Beast and F8 of the Furious are likely the biggest movies of the year until Star Wars hits tho.

kswiston

Fate of the Furious already has more than $30M in presales for its opening weekend in China with one more day to ramp up. Based on typical presales ratios, it is possible that this challenges TFA for the biggest single market opening weekend of all time. $200M+ is looking pretty good.

jett

D-Member
Fate of the Furious already has more than $30M in presales for its opening weekend in China with one more day to ramp up. Based on typical presales ratios, it is possible that this challenges TFA for the biggest single market opening weekend of all time. $200M+ is looking pretty good.

China you so crazy.

I'm almost surprised neither Vin Diesel or The Rock have done any Chinese projects.

GotG2 not hitting a billion would be surprising. Thor Ragnarok has a chance, but I'd say in the $700mil to $800mil range is conservative. Spider-Man Homecoming is questionable...don't read a lot of excitement for it but RDJ has been taking Marvel movies past a billion for five years now. Justice League will be interesting to see but I don't see crossing a billion. It's a long ways away but I can see it having a smaller opening than Thor while earning more in the long run, and ultimately hitting around BvS numbers.

Fast 8, Transformers...6? , and Star Wars 7 are the movies I'm expecting to pass a billion. Oh, and Baby Driver. Obviously.

Fast get that money.
701809db11fb0743d667d181379fbb4ce5b0e2ac.gif

Ross61

GotG2 not hitting a billion would be surprising. Thor Ragnarok has a chance, but I'd say in the $700mil to $800mil range is conservative. Spider-Man Homecoming is questionable...don't read a lot of excitement for it but RDJ has been taking Marvel movies past a billion for five years now. Justice League will be interesting to see but I don't see crossing a billion. It's a long ways away but I can see it having a smaller opening than Thor while earning more in the long run, and ultimately hitting around BvS numbers.

Fast 8, Transformers...6? , and Star Wars 7 are the movies I'm expecting to pass a billion. Oh, and Baby Driver. Obviously.

Woah.

AndyVirus

Justice League will be interesting to see but I don't see crossing a billion. It's a long ways away but I can see it having a smaller opening than Thor while earning more in the long run, and ultimately hitting around BvS numbers.

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of Justice League having a smaller opening (but greater legs) than Thor sounds like crazy talk. At least that's what BvS has taught me.

kswiston

China is up to $30M in presales for Fate of the Furious on Friday, including midnight showings. Opening day should be over $70M there.

kswiston

Deadline is reporting $7.9M from 8 markets yesterday for Fate of the Furious. They say that the total is $19.7M with previews grosses from 12 other markets. I assume that is lumping in the Chinese midnight gross.

BumRush

Deadline is reporting $7.9M from 8 markets yesterday for Fate of the Furious. They say that the total is $19.7M with previews grosses from 12 other markets. I assume that is lumping in the Chinese midnight gross.

Is that good for a movie like that?

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of Justice League having a smaller opening (but greater legs) than Thor sounds like crazy talk. At least that's what BvS has taught me.

Admittedly I was trying to think of a scenario that'd make the most Marvel and DC die-hards upset, since the whole reviews thing won't work out in JL's favor. But who knows. There's nothing leading up to Thor so the first blockbuster after a spell can be beneficial. And JL is far more inline with what audiences want from a superhero movie than BvS, so lower expectations could drag it out until Star Wars 7.

kswiston

Is that good for a movie like that?

It looks like the $19.7M number doesn't include anything from China, which makes it better.

South Korea set a franchise record by 70%. Attendance in France was lower than F6. I think we will see a mixed bag of results. Australia had a first day drop similar to what is being expected from the domestic opening.

kswiston

I think that I overshot things a bit when I said that Beauty and the Beast would hit $460M by the end of Monday. I'm thinking that happens by Wednesday or Thursday next week instead.

BatB should finish up its fourth full week with just under $441M domestic. Finding Dory was at $434M after 4 weeks. Its fourth week being about $2M less. BatB needs to finish $14M higher than Dory to hit $500M.

My showing of F8 was like a quarter full for the first showing, which really surprised me. The showing for F7 was packed. But this time it was playing at both theaters in town instead of just one, so the audience was probably pretty split between the two locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom