• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•26-28•17 - Rock in bay can't stop Pirates or Guardians, Alien sinks tho

xaosslug

46Ma7Mh.jpg
sYQS8Fl.jpg
55jmXtH.jpg
0NPHKzH.jpg
txLwcpS.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
32% Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
9wcOG.gif
81% Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
8mB0Q.gif
19% Baywatch
8vteV.gif
71% Alien: Covenant
5f4ew.gif
47% Everything, Everything

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Pirates of the Caribbean' Hooks No. 1, ‘Baywatch' Belly Flops

Disney's ”Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" is sailing into first place at the domestic box office this weekend, but the story the numbers dictate is not one of swashbuckling heroics.

Johnny Depp's fifth outing as Jack Sparrow is looking at a three-day total of $62.2 million from 4,276 locations, and a four-day holiday weekend sum of $77 million. If not for international appeal, that would be a let down for a movie riding on a $230 million production budget.

The first place finish also can't cover up a serious case of franchise fatigue. ”Dead Men Tell No Tales" is the lowest opening for a Pirates movie apart from the original, which earned over $46 million in its first weekend (and was also the only installation approved by critics). Last time out in 2011, ”On Stranger Tides" pulled in $90 million in its opening weekend. That's still less than 2007's ”At World's End" ($114.7 million) and 2006's ”Dead Man's Chest" ($135.6 million). But it's no question why Disney is still churning out sequels — combined, the movies have made over $4 billion worldwide.

”Dead Men Tell No Tales" centers on Sparrow battling deadly ghost sailors, led by Javier Bardem's Captain Salazar. Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg directed the film, which also sees the return of both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, who were absent from the fourth installment.

Over time, the ”Pirates" franchise has become more reliant on overseas ticket sales, and that's certainly the case this time out. The three-day estimate overseas is a whopping $208.4 million. Globally, the movie is expected to make $270.6 million this weekend, and over $300 million by the end of the four-day holiday weekend. Since the franchise still makes money (even if U.S. grosses are dwindling) this may not be the last we see of Captain Sparrow.

Meanwhile, Paramount's ”Baywatch" was hoping to make an oceanic summer splash, but looks to have ended up in the kiddie pool. The rebooted property should land a three-day total of $18.1 million from 3,647 locations and end the four-day holiday weekend with $22 million. That's far below early estimates. The movie carries a $60 million production budget.

This is the latest in a string of misses for the studio this year including ”Ghost in the Shell," ”Rings," ”XXX: The Return of Xander Cage," and ”Monster Trucks."

Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron star in the comedy that spawned from the 1990s NBC drama starring David Hasselhoff and a team of lifeguards who patrolled the beaches of Los Angeles. This time around, it's Johnson, an experienced and devoted lifeguard, who butts heads with a new recruit, Efron, until they uncover a criminal plot.

Priyanka Chopra, Alexandra Daddario, Jon Bass, Kelly Rohrbach, and Ilfenesh Hadera also star. Seth Gordon directed the film based on a screenplay by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift. Jay Scherick, David Ronn, Thomas Lennon, and Robert Ben Garant all have story credits.

”Baywatch" will land in third behind Disney's ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2," which has proven to be the only major hit to emerge from the summer box office so far. The sequel looks to pull in another $24.2 million over the four-day weekend, raising its domestic total close to $340 million.

Fox's ”Alien: Covenant" should end up in fourth during its second weekend in theaters. The latest installment in the Alien franchise is looking at $13.1 million over the four-day stretch. Rounding out the top five, the YA adaptation ”Everything, Everything" looks to have been a solid low-budget investment for Warner Bros. Its four day total should be about $7.6 million.

This weekend, a number of films are meeting or passing milestones. Universal's ”Fate of the Furious" became the sixth film to earn over $1 billion overseas. Disney's ”Beauty and the Beast" passed $500 million domestically putting it in elite company as well. With $783 million globally, Disney and Marvel's ”Guardians 2" has surpassed the first ”Guardians" movie's total earnings. Disney in general is keeping the box office afloat — as of Friday, the studio became the first to have earned over $1 billion in 2017, reaching the milestone in near record time. The only time a studio has earned so much so quickly was Disney last year.

More to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

The $134M top 12 gross is the lowest for a Memorial Day weekend since at least 2000, and that's without adjusting for inflation.

Just a really bad weekend for the box office. After the way Alien and Pirates have gone, hollywood should be feeling nervous about the rest of their slate of sequels this summer.

WhiteWolf

Bummed about Alien: Covenant, really enjoyed it and it's easily my 3rd favorite in the series. Hopefully we get a director's cut with the 20 minutes of extra footage Scott cut from the film to hit the 2 hour mark.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Bummed about Alien: Covenant, really enjoyed it and it's easily my 3rd favorite in the series. Hopefully we get a director's cut with the 20 minutes of extra footage Scott cut from the film to hit the 2 hour mark.

I hope it keeps bombing, and Fox keeps Ridley away from the franchise. Revisit it 5 years from now, pull a Disney by cleaning up the canon, and try again.

witness

The $134M top 12 gross is the lowest for a Memorial Day weekend since at least 2000, and that's without adjusting for inflation.

Just a really bad weekend for the box office. After the way Alien and Pirates have gone, hollywood should be feeling nervous about the rest of their slate of sequels this summer.

Shit, I knew this Memorial Day weekend would be garbage for the box office but man...

Really the perfect time for Wonder Woman to release next week.

Was gonna quote this in the last thread:

Rock's been in a ton of shit movies in his career and he usually just rolls with it. How come this is the hill he wants to die on?
It's his production agency. This was a project he wanted to do for a while. He can't take it being a failure in every regard

Slayven

Does Guardians have good legs, or just over all shit is down

Was gonna quote this in the last thread:

Rock's been in a ton of shit movies in his career and he usually just rolls with it. How come this is the hill he wants to die on?

http://sevenbucks.com/

Co-founded by Dwayne Johnson and producing partner Dany Garcia, Seven Bucks Productions is a multi-platform production company pioneering original content for television, film, emerging technologies, and digital networks. Crossing all entertainment verticals, Seven Bucks Productions creates innovative content rooted in authenticity, strong storytelling, and passion.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Man, The Rock is sure coming off obnoxious with this Baywatch stuff. Just take the L and move on, dude. It wasn't that expensive to make anyway. It's just not some mega hit

Honestly, why are we even pretending he's a box office draw? He's a charming guy but what hits has he carried? San Andreas? Uh....cause I'm thinking that movies like Central Intelligence are making their money more off Kevin Hart's name, honestly. And the Fast movies would be making bank regardless, he just came in at a good time.

opricnik

Banned
All pirates screenings were full. IMAX ,3D,2D people were forced to see other movies or different timeouts for it. International will have legs and even dominate new releases like Baywatch or Wonder.(both comes next week here)

Pirates gonna do less than Boss Baby domestic?

Baywatch does look fun, but in a "I'll catch it on FX in a year" kind of way.

Edit: This probably couldn't have worked out better for WB. Everything ahead of WW is either >4 weeks old or poised to crater next weekend.

Jawmuncher

The drop in alien is crazy.
Surprised Pirates seems to still be holding somewhat. I mean it's nothing crazy, but I honestly expected far lower.

Knew Alien was gonna drop, but 70%? Jesus. Guess word got out that the film just wasn't that good when they decided to make it into a slasher flick.

And I hope PotC is finally done for good now. It needed to stop after the trilogy.

And what genius at Paramount would Baywatch against a PotC movie anyway? That's just asking to bomb.

All pirates screenings were full. IMAX ,3D,2D people were forced to see other movies or different timeouts for it. International will have legs and even dominate new releases like Baywatch or Wonder.(both comes next week here)
Lowest opening since the first domestic though.

Sorcerer

Who chooses a Baywatch movie to be their dream project?

The Rock just wants an easy payday and franchise, hoping he could crank this crap out very quickly with minimal investment and effort.
Guess he's feeling the peoples elbow now.

opricnik

Banned
Man, The Rock is sure coming off obnoxious with this Baywatch stuff. Just take the L and move on, dude. It wasn't that expensive to make anyway. It's just not some mega hit

Honestly, why are we even pretending he's a box office draw? He's a charming guy but what hits has he carried? San Andreas? Uh....cause I'm thinking that movies like Central Intelligence are making their money more off Kevin Hart's name, honestly. And the Fast movies would be making bank regardless, he just came in at a good time.
Lol no kevin hart was incredibly bad and out of place in cia. Rock carried whole movie

Bronx-Man

Banned
I wouldn't say The Rock is a box-office draw, but in that same sense no one is. That's Hollywood's big problem right now: people show up in theaters for brands, not stars anymore.

Raxus

That Alien drop. Ouch.

I am not going to lie. PotC did way better than I thought it would all things considered. Wonder if Disney will keep the franchise on life support, if only for the international gains.

Word of mouth tanked Baywatch domestically.

america has really weird and shit taste when comes to movies. Things like baby dictator shows. I am sure Wonder woman will dominate usa but im talking about worldwide mostly

America decided to stop caring about Pirates, Ice Age, and Transformers, and we're the ones with shit taste?

opricnik

Banned
That Alien drop. Ouch.

I am not going to lie. PotC did way better than I thought it would all things considered. Wonder if Disney will keep the franchise on life support, if only for the international gains.

Word of mouth tanked Baywatch domestically.
Life support? Lol its gonna make it like 700M in the end. Thats not life support dude thats same amount with Guardians movies and they teased sequel in end credits

america has really weird and shit taste when comes to movies. Things like baby dictator shows. I am sure Wonder woman will dominate usa but im talking about worldwide mostly
PotC isn't that great either according to critics. In fact, it seems to be pretty bad and the drop next week will show, if the audience agrees.

Who chooses a Baywatch movie to be their dream project?
Dude (as a kid) saw slow motion Hasselhoff and how people reacted to that, and was like "I want to have people reacting like that to me"

Problem with remakes is a lot of people only think "just make it today but with one change only or with me in it", and stunningly it's not compelling or successful with that premise

Wonder Woman is gonna destroy Pirates next week. That movie is probably gonna have like a 70% drop. Baywatch maybe safe, different demo.

Top Bottom