• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

kswiston

Poor Edgar.
$80,573,774 worldwide for Hot Fuzz seems pretty good though for that kind of movie, assuming the budget was reasonable.

Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead both did well. Domestically, both had limited releases.

Shaun of the Dead made almost $30M between the UK and US, on a budget of about $5M.

Hot Fuzz did $80M on a budget of $12M. Hot Fuzz made over $40M in the UK, so it could have stayed there and still been profitable.

Lima

His movies deserve a billion though. I dare you to find me a better comedy than Hot Fuzz from 2000 onwards. Fuck the masses for just watching Transformers smh

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Now that Divergent is dead and John Green has no more books to adapt, the young female masses need to follow him somewhere.

He's got a new book coming out this year

John Green movies all the way down.

Pachimari

His movies deserve a billion though. I dare you to find me a better comedy than Hot Fuzz from 2000 onwards. Fuck the masses for just watching Transformers smh

I saw Hot Fuzz for the first time 3 days ago. It was pretty okay really. I think I enjoyed At World's End and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World more, but that bodes well for Baby Driver tomorrow, if I've liked each of his movies more for every release.

Code:
Pre: $2.0M
Wed: $4.3M/$6.3M
Thu: $3.7M              -13.95%/-41.27%
Fri: $6.2M              +67.57%
Sat: $7.4M              +19.35%
Sun: $7.2M               -2.70%

OW:  $20.9M             
2nd: $11.5M             -44.71%
3rd: $7.5M              -34.78%
4th: $4.3M              -42.67%

DOM: $87M
INT: $60M
WW: $147M
  • I'm feeling pretty bullish when it comes to Baby Driver. Youtube trailer views are decent, there is not a whole lot of strong competition right now, and reviews are through the roof for it. Having seen the movie myself, I can attest it is easily the most accessible Edgar Wright film yet, and I think it will have strong WOM.
  • The Sunday drop I'm predicting may seem suspicious, but it's a consequence of July 4th. The last time the holiday was on a Tuesday was in 2006 when Superman Returns opened (remember that movie?), and Sunday drops were very small: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-07-02&p=.htm

Lima

What kinda fucking name is Anthony Lane huh?
Huh?

I will find you bro and when we met we are going to have a talk about Baby Driver.

kswiston

Colin Trevorrow is going to be the least consistent director of all time in terms of box office

Safety Not Guaranteed - $4M
Jurassic World - $652M
The Book of Henry - ~$5M (if it doesn't go wide, and I don't see why it would with the business so far)
Star Wars Episode IX - $750M+?

kswiston

Deadline is saying that Universal tracking for Despicable Me 3 is $85M, while some rival studios think that it will do $95M+

Sony is predicting a 5-day opening for Baby Driver in the low teens. Other think around $20M. They also clarify that the budget after rebates was $34M, so I guess the $40M was before rebates.

Tracking for the House is in the mid teens, while WB says $12M. That seems pretty terrible. The House carries a $40M budget.

Schlorgan

Deadline is saying that Universal tracking for Despicable Me 3 is $85M, while some rival studios think that it will do $95M+

Sony is predicting a 5-day opening for Baby Driver in the low teens. Other think around $20M. They also clarify that the budget after rebates was $34M, so I guess the $40M was before rebates.

Tracking for the House is in the mid teens, while WB says $12M. That seems pretty terrible. The House carries a $40M budget.
tenor.gif

Infinity War is being filmed in Georgia, right?
Everything is being filmed in GA now. We really went overboard turning into the "Other Hollywood".

Which I'm totally cool with.

___

Side note - any ideas where Wonder Woman will end up globally at the end of its theatrical run?

kswiston

Everything is being filmed in GA now. We really went overboard turning into the "Other Hollywood".

Which I'm totally cool with.

___

Side note - any ideas where Wonder Woman will end up globally at the end of its theatrical run?

$775-800M is my best guess at the moment. Somewhere over $750M at the lowest end.

Busty

Banned

The House is a really odd case. I know that they did quite a lot of reshoots on it last summer (IIRC) and with the fact that they kept this summer release date I just assumed that the studio had some confidence in it.

And yet here we are, apparently there won't be many critic screenings (which would be unusual for WB who don't usually hide their films no matter the quality) and the film itself runs to 90 odd minutes which screams cut and run to me.

If Warner were going to just dump this I don't know why they'd do it in such a prime summer slot unless.., there's only enough room in October for one shallow grave and that's reserved for 2017's biggest bomb,
Geostorm

Will gets 20m of that most likely

If memory serves Cruise was getting $12m for The Mummy so I doubt Ferrell is getting 20m for The House.

Perhaps $8-10m at most with $5m on the low end at a guess?

3N16MA

Banned
Colin Trevorrow is going to be the least consistent director of all time in terms of box office

Jurassic World - $652M
The Book of Henry - ~$5M (if it doesn't go wide, and I don't see why it would with the business so far)

He is no David Yates.

Will Ferrell has had mixed success with R-rated comedies (I didn't even know The House was rated R until looking it up today), and the online signs for his latest are just terrible. I think it's definitely going to perform similarly to Semi-Pro.

I saw Hot Fuzz for the first time 3 days ago. It was pretty okay really. I think I enjoyed At World's End and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World more, but that bodes well for Baby Driver tomorrow, if I've liked each of his movies more for every release.

Aside from shaun of the dead (which in itself is pretty good) I think the rest of Wrights movies are like 9 or 10s for me easy

And yeah I go Worlds End > Hot Fuzz = Scott Pilgrim > Shaun so I think he's had a impressive upwards trajectory

Worlds End gets some flack from some of the fans of his prior movies but I think it had his most emotionally resonant lead character yet. And he basically made an 80s John Carpenter bro movie with Jackie Chan fight scenes. Blessed. Hyped to watch baby driver this week.

kswiston

I didn't really like The World's End. I'd probably choose to rewatch 2013's other end of the world ensemble comedy.

I liked all of his other films though.

jett

D-Member

I see another Scott Pilgrim, Baby Driver will come in behind even the most modest expectations. One of these days Edgar Wright is going to return to TV.

Superflat

Mine probably goes Hot Fuzz > Shaun > Pilgrim > Worlds End

Not sure why World's End didn't stick with me, but I saw it once and never felt the need to revisit it since.

Really looking forward to Baby Driver, and yeah it's a bad title to bring audiences in. If I didn't know who was directing it it'd be straight to streaming rental, even with the good reviews.

jett

D-Member
Hot Fuzz > World's End > Scott Pilgrim > Shaun

I'd like Pilgrim a lot more if it wasn't for Michael Cera.

World's End vs. This is the End? Man that is a tough call

This is the End is Seth Rogen gathering his friends to participate in an Adam Sandler-tier scam.

Anth0ny

Jurassic World - $652M

I'm expecting a "trevorrow and Disney part ways due to creative differences" announcement any day now.

Hot Fuzz is my favorite of his from the subject matter. I could see leaning towards others if, say, I were more of a zombie movie guy.

I'm expecting a "trevorrow and Disney part ways due to creative differences" announcement any day now.

Doubt it. Trevorrow has friends in high places.

The World's End takes a very, very long time to get going. The first 45 minutes have easily the least amount of laughs of the Cornetto trilogy, and that ending... I go back and forth on whether I like it or not.

Mine probably goes Hot Fuzz > Shaun > Pilgrim > Worlds End
This is the same ranking as me, with Baby Driver being ahead of Hot Fuzz.

"Episode 9 delayed to December 2020, goes toe-to-toe with Avatar 2"

overcast

Praying for Baby Driver. 35 million is a tiny budget. Still easily under 100 even with marketing considered. Wright's movies tend to do very well in the long run but I'm really hoping it opens to more than 25 million.
Nah, World's End all day, every day, to the end of days.
Easy. This is the end got worse for me on rewatches.

Hot fuzz > Shaun > worlds end > pilgrim

I alternate on the first 2 from time to time but they're by far my favourite movies from Wright. I'd probably rank them as my all time favourite comedies and right up there with my favourite movies in general.

Pilgrim I wasn't a huge fan of. I enjoyed it somewhat but it wasn't anywhere as good as the other 3 for me.

World's End vs. This is the End? Man that is a tough call

I thought this is the end was hot garbage to be honest. I do like some of Seth Rohan's other comedies but this just didn't click with me.

kswiston

I just couldn't get behind Simon Pegg in the role he had in The World's End, which drags down the entire film for me. Nick Frost and Martin Freeman were good.

Holy shit, that good?
Oh yeah. I think it's going to be a lot of people's favorite of his; it's so well-directed, easily Edgar Wright's most accomplished film and some of the best action sequences I've seen this year. My only gripe with the film was I didn't quite buy into the romantic as much as I hoped, but they have such great chemistry together that I was just about swept up in it anyway.

Top Bottom