• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

Mario007

Yeah, but domestic makes a studio way more money than international does. I'm sure WB would like bigger international reciepts. I mean, of course they would.

But a 50/50 split ain't necessarily bad.

While that's true, but I'm thinking overall appeal of these franchises. I'm pretty sure the merchandising for these films is insane, so the more girls that are dressing up as Wonder Women around the world the better.

It also shows the growth of the brand. For DC, eversince MoS it seemed to be more US-sided than Marvel.

While that's true, but I'm thinking overall appeal of these franchises.

And some cultures/countries are simply just not going to catch. It happens with a lot of properties. Sometimes a thing just doesn't work in a region.

Worldwide numbers get a ton of attention because they're bigger, sure. And that money/reach is important. But I don't think Wonder Woman getting a 50/50 split is somehow a real shortcoming. That's not to say that appeal can't be built over time, and hopefully it will be. But having room to grow isn't necessarily a fault or a misstep. It just means success can be greater overseas.

And even then: It's probably still way more important that the movie does well here than its doing well in any other region.

Code:
Pre: $6.0M
Fri: $27.1M/$33.1M           
Sat: $25.9M              -4.43%/-21.75%
Sun: $25.0M              -3.47%

OW:  $84.0M             
2nd: $35.5M             -57.74%
3rd: $18.2M             -48.73%
4th: $11.4M             -37.36%

DOM: $260M
INT: $690M
WW: $950M
  • I've mentioned my thoughts on Despicable Me 3 a few times already, and the reason for my "underprediction" basically boils down to one thing: Minions. The film had very weak legs and its Flixster audience of 49% is worse than Shrek 3 or Transformers 4, and while DM3 is not a direct sequel, I suspect the damage has been done. Online signs are quite a bit weaker than Minions or DM2, and this summer has certainly taught us to exercise caution when predicting sequels that are in this sort of predicament.
  • Reviews are about on par with Minions at this point, so I'm doubting legs will be much better. Especially seeing as next week's openers seems set to double the gross of Minions' post opening competitor, Ant-Man.

Code:
[U]Top 10[/U]

1) Despicable Me 3              $84.0M
2) Baby Driver                  $19.0M 
3) Transformers 5               $15.3M    -65.76%
4) Wonder Woman                 $14.9M    -40.18%
5) Cars 3                       $10.7M    -55.55%
6) The House                     $9.8M
7) 47 Meters Down                $4.4M    -37.94%
8) The Mummy                     $2.4M    -60.40%
9) Pirates of the Caribbean 5    $2.3M    -57.41%
10) Rough Night                  $2.2M    -53.19%
  • TF5 had an absolutely awful Wednesday, dropping 43% from the day before, and things will only get worse over the weekend as it faces, you know, real competition.
  • Cars 3 will look to be, as far as I can tell, the first major animated film to drop more than 55% in two consecutive weekends. It's become a bizarre yearly tradition for Illumination to cut off the legs of a summer Pixar film, and this looks to be the most devastating blow yet.
  • The House appears to heading towards disaster status. Its online presence is as nonexistent as reviews.
  • To end this on a positive note, Wonder Woman will continue to do its thing this weekend, topping Batman v Superman to becoming the highest grossing DCEU film domestically. If it can drop 35% or less, then $400M will certainly be in reach.

Pachimari

Supposedly Valerian is actually pretty good! Surprise hit of 2017 incoming.
Do you have a link for some impression that backs this up? Not that I don't believe you, I would just like to see what they say about the movie.

I wasn't really up in arms about Baby Driver. I really liked the movie, but I had expected more from the synchronization of picture and music, and the third act made me a little sore on the overall product.

Mario007

And some cultures/countries are simply just not going to catch. It happens with a lot of properties. Sometimes a thing just doesn't work in a region.

Worldwide numbers get a ton of attention because they're bigger, sure. And that money/reach is important. But I don't think Wonder Woman getting a 50/50 split is somehow a real shortcoming. That's not to say that appeal can't be built over time, and hopefully it will be. But having room to grow isn't necessarily a fault or a misstep. It just means success can be greater overseas.

And even then: It's probably still way more important that the movie does well here than its doing well in any other region.

I totally agree, some territories are just not gonna catch on. However, when we have Marvel being able to make a movie called Captain America appealing in China, of all places, I think WB should be happy with WW but needs to think about how it markets its DC franchises outside of the US. We're four movies in to the DCEU and so this should be looked at. Having said that, these are good problems to have, as opposed to the situation we had prior to WW.

Having said all that, JL absolutely need the international gross to make 1bn which I'm sure WW sees as the minimum for that movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I feel like I need to pour one out for Baby Driver... That movie will probably do just fine considering the budget, but it'll be buried so hard by this summer release date compared to what it deserves. I still don't know what the fuck they were thinking releasing now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BoxOfficeReport.com @BORReport
Wonder Woman grossed an estimated $2.69M on Thursday. 28-Day total stands at $330.53M.#WonderWoman #BoxOffice
8:18 AM - 30 Jun 2017

Wonder Woman has passed the $330.36M final gross of Batman v Superman to move into 49th place on the all-time domestic list.#WonderWoman

giphy.gif

zero_suit

Wonder Woman grossed an estimated $2.69M on Thursday. 28-Day total stands at $330.53M.#WonderWoman #BoxOffice

Wonder Woman has passed the $330.36M final gross of Batman v Superman to move into 49th place on the all-time domestic list.#WonderWoman

I was so tempted to avatar quote you. Anyway, well deserved.

I've gone to every school in my general vicinity to tell the youths not to watch Baby Driver and all I have to show for it is all these restraining orders and this axe in my head

Even Marvel can polish a turd at this point. I fully anticipate it will be as good as the worse Marvel movie.

I'd put $100 on it being better than Thor 2, Iron-Man 2, and The Incredible Hulk.

I also anticipate it will top Thor, IM1, and Ant-Man, quality-wise.

Zackat

And FOX already has one lined up for the 14th of February 2019 meaning that starting next year they'll be doing 3 per year. Marvel's doing 3 per year and there's a rumor that WB will start doing 3-4 a year. I don't know about this.
Superhero fatigue will set in any minute.

Annnny minute

The House made $800K in previews, barely beating out the $700K of Rough Night.

R-rated comedies are DOA this summer.

Reviews are awful. Consensus is it's just another R comedy that thinks being cruel will elicit laughs. I wonder if audiences are starting to reject that line of thinking.

Also the trailers didn't do it any favors.

J_Viper

I wonder if they introduce adult Laura in X-Force

And stop dunking on Incredible Hulk. That movie's alright, and alright is better than Iron Man 2, 3, and 2hor

I wonder if they introduce adult Laura in X-Force

And stop dunking on Incredible Hulk. That movie's alright, and alright is better than Iron Man 2, 3, and 2hor

They better not recast Laura but I bet they will, unfortunately.

I agree about Incredible Hulk btw, fun movie. The only decent thing Letterier has ever done.

You guys won't want it until it happens, and then it'll happen, and you'll be like "who'd have thought this could have worked" and then 4 months later it'll be taken for granted that it was always going to have worked and other people are silly to doubt the premise.

Busty

Banned

Given how the main X-Men films are getting more expensive with diminishing returns we'll see just how many of those release slots are actually 'claimed'.

The House made $800K in previews, barely beating out the $700K of Rough Night.

R-rated comedies are DOA this summer.

I actually saw The House last night and.., it was alright. It's a very slight, but perfectly solid comedy with Will Ferrel doing his usual schtick, but as far as R rated comedies go I actually quite liked it*.

* - The fact the film's run time, with credits, is like 90 minutes and is oddly gory for a comedy like this (a character gets their arm chopped off and set on fire) were huge plus factors for me. It was brief and did something different. Eh, maybe catch it on TV in a few years.

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys won't want it until it happens, and then it'll happen, and you'll be like "who'd have thought this could have worked" and then 4 months later it'll be taken for granted that it was always going to have worked and other people are silly to doubt the premise.
And the cycle continues.

Why don't we change it up a bit, since the cycle is getting stale and old?

I say a legit teen-aged Laura movie would and can work. I don't see why it couldn't. We've had great movies with child/teen leads before, haven't we?

Busty

Banned
Also, I assumed that the rumour of Dark Tower being 85 minutes long was just that, a rumour.

Nope, apparently the cut of Dark Tower being screened is indeed 85 minutes long. And that's 85 minutes with credits.

*sharp intake of breath*

Hope you guys weren't expecting a franchise out of Dark Tower.

Kusagari

Also, I assumed that the rumour of Dark Tower being 85 minutes long was just that, a rumour.

Nope, apparently the cut of Dark Tower being screened is indeed 85 minutes long. And that's 85 minutes with credits.

*sharp intake of breath*

Hope you guys weren't expecting a franchise out of Dark Tower.

What the hell even happens in the movie?

That's shorter than fucking Sharknado.

And the cycle continues.

Why don't we change it up a bit, since the cycle is getting stale and old?

I say a legit teen-aged Laura movie would and can work. I don't see why it couldn't. We've had great movies with child/teen leads before, haven't we?

Homecoming will give us insight on that :p

I have no doubt that it can be made to work pretty easily, I just wish they'd find a way to keep Dafne in the role.

Homecoming will give us insight on that :p

Tom Holland is 20/21 playing a 15 year old. Dafne would be somewhere around 15-16 by the time the next movie gets made, which means she'd be considered for 12-13 year old roles by Hollywood standards.

Toa TAK

Banned
I mean, I figured something like E.T. or Harry Potter would've proven that.
I have no doubt that it can be made to work pretty easily, I just wish they'd find a way to keep Dafne in the role.
I don't think there's anything indicating that. That's the thing, they can full well do it with her at her current age without issue.

Top Bottom