• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

Measley

Warner Bros: While Universal might have more goingfor it in the short term, I think that WB is the second best off going beyond the next 5 years. The DCEU is clearly very popular, and is young enough that WB easily has 5 years left in it before they have to worry about too many shake ups.

I think Justice League is going to fail big time. It looks like a Snyder snooze fest and the humor (at least in the trailers) falls flat. That big-bang Snyder monster-fight shit almost killed Wonder Woman for me.

Shockingly, the most promising upcoming film from the DCEU is Aquaman, and that's based purely on casting. WB needs to remove the Snyder feel from their DC stuff, or its going to drag down their entire brand.

Paramount is definitely in the worst shape of all the studios. I can't believe they allowed the Trek franchise to collapse so quickly. As you said, ST09 was one of the best reboots in recent years, and already the franchise is back on shaky ground.

Prompto

Banned
I'm really hoping the production budget for Baby Driver is like $5 million. Having Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, and Jon Hamm in a movie must not be cheap though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think Justice League is going to fail big time. It looks like a Snyder snooze fest and the humor (at least in the trailers) falls flat. That big-bang Snyder monster-fight shit almost killed Wonder Woman for me.

Shockingly, the most promising upcoming film from the DCEU is Aquaman, and that's based purely on casting. WB needs to remove the Snyder feel from their DC stuff, or its going to drag down their entire brand.

Paramount is definitely in the worst shape of all the studios. I can't believe they allowed the Trek franchise to collapse so quickly. As you said, ST09 was one of the best reboots in recent years, and already the franchise is back on shaky ground.

Yeah, it obviously almost killed WoM for Wonder Woman. JL will make bank. The quality will determine it's legs but OW should be high enough to carry it close to 800m.

They also have a Matt Reeves directed Batman and a WW2 from Patty down the road. Plus if rumors are to be believed it looks like Flash will have a competent director. DCEUs future actually looks pretty bright.

jrush64

Banned

lol ok man if you say so.

People have this weird thing going on now days that if the 3rd act features a big fight with a big villain its bad.

Even though that's basically how almost all comic books work.

Very true. It also makes you sound ~very sophisticated~ if you complain about the third act of Wonder Woman. Monkey see, monkey do.

I'm completely shook by all the success this film has had. I've seen it four times and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Hope they announce the sequel at Comic Con.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I have zero interest in Homecoming. Thor:Ragnarok and Black Panther though... Gimme some of that!

kswiston

Nice read on you view of the big 6 kswiss, appreciate it. Always fun.

Awesome read, swiss. Disney is so well positioned right now, it's unreal

Thanks. I wasn't originally planning on writing 1500 words, so I'm glad someone read that wall of text.

I wouldn't say that Disney is producing my favourite stuff (though most of it is enjoyable), but they definitely seem to have the blockbuster game figured out for now.

I'm really hoping the production budget for Baby Driver is like $5 million. Having Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, and Jon Hamm in a movie must not be cheap though.

I haven't come across a budget, but based on the cast and what was shown in the trailers, I'm expecting $30-50M. They also had those 30 songs to license. Hopefully it wasn't too much more than the top end of my range. I would be impressed if it was much less.

kswiston

We're half-way through the summer and we haven't had a break-out comedy yet. The House does not look to be it. There's Girl's Trip in late July, but I think that's about it for pure comedies.

3N16MA

Banned
Last chance to put down your Minions Despicable Me 3 and Baby Driver.

Baby Driver

DOM: Tears
DOM total: Under appreciated

OS total: Slightly less under appreciated

WW: Edgar Wright classic

DM3

DOM: Sucking cash out of parents pockets
DOM total: A few less trucks of cash than DM2

OS total: Half a boat less cash than DM2

WW: Illumination stays winning

Anth0ny

great post kswis!

I will never not be blown away by Disney's current situation.

And just wait until they cut a deal with Fox...

avengers_vs._x-meninu39.jpg

...But just wait until they cut a deal with Warner Bros!

dnuhr.jpg

I'll lock down exact predictions for both later, but Baby Driver I'm hoping can at least break $20M over 5 days
fight me, Bronson
, which given Edgar Wright's track record would be really good. DM3 I think is definitely heading towards a pretty big dive from the second, basically because the audience reception for Minions was pretty weak (49% Flixster score, lower than Shrek 3, Pirates 4, or Transformers 4) and I think the central hook of Gru having a twin brother is weak. Overseas, it'll probably still top DM2 by quite a margin since Minions made a $823M internationally.

We're half-way through the summer and we haven't had a break-out comedy yet. The House does not look to be it. There's Girl's Trip in late July, but I think that's about it for pure comedies.
In that vein, perhaps the most baffling scheduling of the summer: The Hitman's Bodyguard and Logan Lucky are releasing on the same day, August 18.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Shit. Wonder Woman going to take down Pirates 5?

Swank.

Japan could make things interesting. I believe that is the only market left for both movies to open. Pirates 5 opens in Japan in a week.

Wonder Woman doesn't open there until the end of August and I'm not sure anyone knows what to expect from it. For the sake of comparison, Man of Steel made $8m, Suicide Squad made $15m, BvS made $16m, Civil War made $24m, Doctor Strange made $16m and Guardians 2 made $9m.

Pirates 4 made $108m.

So, yeah.

kswiston

The USD was trading at about 80 JPY back when On Stranger Tides launched. Now the exchange is closer to 1 USD = 110 Yen.

So that $108M in Japan becomes $79M using current exchange rates.

I wouldn't expect much more than $60M for Pirates 5 there, and even that is probably optimistic.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The USD was trading at about 80 JPY back when On Stranger Tides launched. Now the exchange is closer to 1 USD = 110 Yen.

So that $108M in Japan becomes $79M using current exchange rates.

I would expect much more than $60M for Pirates 5 there, and even that is probably optimistic.

I certainly don't expect it to make $100m again but its success certainly wasn't due to exchange rates. Pirates has always been huge in Japan.

If we compare it to the original Avengers, which released a year after Pirates 4, even that "only" made $45m.

So I'm very interested to see where Pirates 5 lands there.

Yeah, it obviously almost killed WoM for Wonder Woman. JL will make bank. The quality will determine it's legs but OW should be high enough to carry it close to 800m.

They also have a Matt Reeves directed Batman and a WW2 from Patty down the road. Plus if rumors are to be believed it looks like Flash will have a competent director. DCEUs future actually looks pretty bright.
Wonder Woman's third act did not kill the movie's word of mouth. Y'all are painting some revisionist history. The movie was instant praise from the get-go. It was too big to fail. A measly divisive third act wasn't gonna stop the hype train.

kswiston

I certainly don't expect it to make $100m again but its success certainly wasn't due to exchange rates. Pirates has always been huge in Japan.

If we compare it to the original Avengers, which released a year after Pirates 4, even that "only" made $45m.

So I'm very interested to see where Pirates 5 lands there.

US Superhero films aren't popular in Japan, because they have their own brand of superheroes. The Avengers is the highest grossing superhero film there in USD since Spider-Man 3 I believe. The typical superhero range is $10-15M. Sometimes a bit less. Sometimes a bit more.

Also, the actual take that Pirates 4 managed was most definitely due to exchange rates. Pirates 3 managed $91M when rates were around 120 yen to the dollar. So while Pirates 4 appears to be a 20% bump over Pirates 3 in Japan, it was actually down 20% in local currency. No one is disputing that the franchise is popular, but that popularity has been waning (along with the popularity of pretty much every Hollywood franchise outside of a few Disney films). Add that to a much weaker currency than the last time this series was in release, and you will likely get a 40-50% drop from the last entry.

Bizazedo

What is this alternate universe where Wonder Woman had anything but fantastic word of mouth domestically?

People get upset when people say "I thought it was good, not amazing" and list out why. That then eventually becomes bad word of mouth....somehow....

I've never done one of these before. Let's see:

Despicable Me 3:

OW - $75 mil
Domestic - $335 mil
International - $650 mil
Total - $985 mil

Baby Driver:

OW - $22 mil
Domestic - $58 mil
International - $48 mil
Total - $106 mil

I hope I'm wrong on those low BD numbers though.

edit: Woah, The World's End and Scott Pilgrim both made less than $50 mil worldwide. I guess $100+ mil worldwide would be a huge success for Edgar Wright.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Japan could make things interesting. I believe that is the only market left for both movies to open. Pirates 5 opens in Japan in a week.

Wonder Woman doesn't open there until the end of August and I'm not sure anyone knows what to expect from it. For the sake of comparison, Man of Steel made $8m, Suicide Squad made $15m, BvS made $16m, Civil War made $24m, Doctor Strange made $16m and Guardians 2 made $9m.

Pirates 4 made $108m.

So, yeah.
Japan sure loves it pirates.

Pachimari

I want to know, why did they replace Shia Labeuf in Transformers? Him and Megan were the best part of Transformers and Revenge of the Fallen to me. I really enjoyed those two.

Also, will Wonder Woman overtake Suicide Squad domestically on Wednesday and Batman v Superman on Friday?

I want to know, why did they replace Shia Labeuf in Transformers? Him and Megan were the best part of Transformers and Revenge of the Fallen to me. I really enjoyed those two.

Also, will Wonder Woman overtake Suicide Squad domestically on Wednesday and Batman v Superman on Friday?

If I remember correctly Shia was sick of spending most of his time acting with floating tennis balls in a blue screen room, and it soured him on huge blockbusters in general.

Megan was fired by Spielberg for some comments she made.

Bluth54

*Paramount drops a teaser trailer for Beyond*
*goes radio silent for 6 months*
*a month before release goes '....here's a new Star Trek movie I guess?'*

Yes, it is a complete mystery as to why Beyond didn't do so hot.

It's so crazy that Paramount didn't use Trek's 50th anniversary at all for Beyond.
Just a few years before the BBC was able to turn Doctor Who's 50th anniversary into a worldwide event for the show and Paramount didn't even try for Beyond.

BumRush

I wouldn't say that Disney is producing my favourite stuff (though most of it is enjoyable), but they definitely seem to have the blockbuster game figured out for now.

Which studio would you say is producing your favorite stuff?

For me, it's definitely Disney as I love star wars, Marvel has been so damn consistent and my daughter looooooves princesses right now. Disney's consistent quality makes me feel like I'm not going to waste money seeing a shitty movie (most of the time). Other studios are so hit or miss for me.

Z3M0G

Welp... looks like due to overseas numbers, Transformers is safe to keep going.

I haven't seen it yet... but the spoiler I read somewhere is so bat-shit insane that I am SUPER excited to see the NEXT movie after this one!

gamz

Which studio would you say is producing your favorite stuff?

For me, it's definitely Disney as I love star wars, Marvel has been so damn consistent and my daughter looooooves princesses right now. Disney's consistent quality makes me feel like I'm not going to waste money seeing a shitty movie (most of the time). Other studios are so hit or miss for me.

Really digging what A24 has been rolling out.

Blumhouse too.

BumRush

Blumhouse too.

You have very good taste. A24 films and blumhouse have had excellent recent outputs.

With minimal time to actually go to the movies though, I (usually) stick more to blockbusters and VOD smaller scale productions if that makes sense

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Blumhouse too.

yeah these 2 studios have been wowing me for the last few years

really happy when i see them succeed

having said that, disney is king for my family. i love their marvel output, my neice loves star wars, my wife loves their live action remakes of animated classics.

gamz

You have very good taste. A24 films and blumhouse have had excellent recent outputs.

With minimal time to actually go to the movies though, I (usually) stick more to blockbusters and VOD smaller scale productions if that makes sense
Of course. I'm all over the place with movies. Like my blockbusters as much as smaller movies. I even scour through no budget horror quite often.

Top Bottom