• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

I have some worries for Baby Driver. I hear it's the greatest Wright movie and I hear it's the dullest. I'm more worried about it being dull since it's suppose to be his most accessible film.

Decado

I can't imagine what must have happened to someone in their life to make them outright believe that any Zack Snyder movie comes close to any NolanBats movie.
I prefer 300 and Watchmen over any Nolan film. Well, maybe except Memento, depending on my mood.

Everything Snyder has done since Watchmen has been shit, though.

GIMME THE GREEN LIGHT

lfnvxnG.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/23/atomic-blonde-more-advanced-screenings

El Topo

Not sure if Bronson is excited for Atomic Blonde due to the graphic novel, the trailers or because he's thirsty for Charlize.

Hey, those are good reasons, too. Movie looks nice, even if I'm not a big fan of the setting.

I'm hearing real good stuff about the action scenes too, though that should not be surprising

Did I fuck up or are all passes only for 1 person?

You can get two but you have to select it

Fuck, advanced screenings always sell out for me. Maybe because I'm in NYC? Who knows.

NY people camp that shit out heavily, they're the biggest crew by far on the main sites I use

Then Philly, then Jersey

3N16MA

Banned
Toronto is sold out. However I would have passed on going anyhow as I hate to wait in line if I can avoid it.

Yes, I'm impatient.

3N16MA

Banned
This is pretty early for a screening too (it's a month out from release) so I'm guessing they want to rely on word of mouth pretty hard to drum up interest.

Yeah, a month out seems far in advance. I don't expect John Wick 2 numbers but if it can slot itself between JW and JW2 that would be a win.

I believe the budget is only 30M.

ERotIC

Banned
I'm pretty sure after WW's first weekend I said there was no way it'd hit a 3.5 OW multiplier.

*puts on bib*

I'm ready for that crow.

This Wonder Woman run is crazy satisfying after hearing for years that "no one cares about Wonder Woman, lol".

I think that is where the "experts" got it all wrong. Its not that nobody cares, its that people didn't know they should care about Wonder Woman. Took a great movie to show them the light.

Also, my Saturday afternoon showing I attended was completely packed...and my 5 year old son asked me if he could be Wonder Woman when he grew up.

I think that is where the "experts" got it all wrong. Its not that nobody cares, its that people didn't know they should care about Wonder Woman. Took a great movie to show them the light.

Also, my Saturday afternoon showing I attended was completely packed...and my 5 year old son asked me if he could be Wonder Woman when he grew up.

That's great to hear, and your son has good taste!

Not sure if I'd really like a sequel to The Accountant, since the whole point of it was basically both doing the action movie as well as having a subversion on it, with the help of good editing and an Isham soundtrack. I liked the movie a lot, but it seemed like a one-and-done to me story wise.

kswiston

My 3 year old daughter has asked me about 20 times why she can't see Wonder Woman.

Maybe she'll be old enough to see the sequel in theatres.

In other news, I should be seeing the "now 98% on Rotten Tomatoes" Baby Driver on Thursday. Two others are going with me, so I can now safely predict that the opening weekend will be >$30. Sorry Zyzzyx Rd.

jackdoe

Scratched the Bourne itch more than the last Greengrass/Damon film so I'm cool with a sequel.
Yep, The Accountant was a far better Bourne film than Jason Bourne. In a completely different league (whoever decided on Vincent Cassel as the main bad guy of an action film was out of their mind). A sequel is definitely welcomed.

Toa TAK

Banned
My 3 year old daughter has asked me about 20 times why she can't see Wonder Woman.

Take her anyways.

She'll mostly forget.

Like when my dad took me to see The Lost World when I was 3.

In other news, I should be seeing the "now 98% on Rotten Tomatoes" Baby Driver on Thursday. Two others are going with me, so I can now safely predict that the opening weekend will be >$30. Sorry Zyzzyx Rd.

My 6 year old does not know who she is lol. He knows about cars. He just saw his first movie cars 3. I do not think he is going again this year again.

kswiston

My 6 year old does not know who she is lol. He knows about cars. He just saw his first movie cars 3. I do not think he is going again this year again.

We started her early I guess. Her first film was Finding Dory last year at 2 years old.

I don't remember what my first film would have been, but my parents took me to the movies quite a bit as a kid. I saw all three of the 1989 opening weekend record setters (Ghostbusters 2, The Last Crusade, and Batman) in theatres. I was 7 that year.

Pffft. I saw Beverly Hills Cop in theaters when I was 5. Look how I turned out.

My parents took me to the drive-in a lot when I was really young. My dad would make me hide under a pile of blankets in the back seat so that he wouldn't have to pay extra. I think that I mostly slept, so who knows what was being shown in most of those instances. I remember a Gremlins and Goonies double feature. Looking at BOM, that would have been 1985. I was 3.

I don't think movie theaters are for children at all if they have the same overdone loudness (say hello to tinnitus) as adult screenings have these days.

That said, animation tends to be far more normalized in its audio output, so I guess that's more doable.

I only remember seeing movies in cinema since I was about 10, so that's likely when I could first enter one. One of the first was Jurassic Park, so I think I got pretty lucky in seeing one of the best early on.

BumRush

Mine wants to see it too. All day: "alexa, play wonder woman theme"

Had a little girl at work today, had to be 8 or so, begging her Mom to buy everything Wonder Woman related. They grabbed books, toys, and even an outfit so she could dress up. All she could talk about was how cool she thought she was. Put a huge smile on my face.

I saw a TV ad for Baby Driver and they're selling it like it's one of those direct to digital action movies. Kind where it's probably from Lionsgate, like Precious Cargo or Empire State.

The exchange between Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter and Michael Lynton (then at Sony) reveals their line of thinking,

“From: “IP”
To: “Lynton, Michael”
Subject: Female Movies
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 05:32:50 -0400

Michael,
As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples. There are more.

Thanks,

Ike

1. Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm

2. Catwoman (WB/DC) – Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film
was a disaster. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm

3. Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie
came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.
Best,

Ike”

Really, a Wonder Woman movie should've happened years ago. A number of almost but not quite stories for decades. Not even the first time Patty Jenkins met with Warners to talk about a Wonder Woman movie. At a point Warners seemed content to have Wonder Woman be a TV show (both the failed NBC pilot and the CW "Amazon" series). Took the Snyders making Wonder Woman a priority to finally get Warners to commit. And despite the initial speed bump of switching directors, Patty Jenkins was the right person to make it happen.

firelogic

I saw a TV ad for Baby Driver and they're selling it like it's one of those direct to digital action movies. Kind where it's probably from Lionsgate, like Precious Cargo or Empire State.

The exchange between Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter and Michael Lynton (then at Sony) reveals their line of thinking,

Really, a Wonder Woman movie should've happened years ago. A number of almost but not quite stories for decades. Not even the first time Patty Jenkins met with Warners to talk about a Wonder Woman movie. At a point Warners seemed content to have Wonder Woman be a TV show (both the failed NBC pilot and the CW "Amazon" series). Took the Snyders making Wonder Woman a priority to finally get Warners to commit. And despite the initial speed bump of switching directors, Patty Jenkins was the right person to make it happen.

So what you're saying is, we have Zack and Deborah Snyder to thank for Wonder Woman. The Snyders are the best!

Mario007

So what you're saying is, we have Zack and Deborah Snyder to thank for Wonder Woman. The Snyders are the best!

Considering they produced it, Zack himself put her in BvS, put her in Justice League as the founding member with Batman, Zack came up with the story for WW and the stunt guys tha worked with the Snyders were used on WW, yes it took Snyders pushing WB to get WW off the ground.

firelogic

Considering they produced it, Zack himself put her in BvS, put her in Justice League as the founding member with Batman, Zack came up with the story for WW and the stunt guys tha worked with the Snyders were used on WW, yes it took Snyders pushing WB to get WW off the ground.

See, he should be getting some credit for it but everyone's too busy crapping on him. He's in a no-win situation with the public. It's sad.

Schlorgan

I'll crap on Brett Ratner's directorial work all day but I can acknowledge that his studio is involved in some good stuff. I can do the same with Snyder.

kswiston

Most of the China box office regulars on the BOT forums are declaring $250M dead for Transformers 5 in China. TF5 is currently trailing Warcraft, which ended up with $220M total. It might be able to make up the difference, but $230M is looking like the high end for the Last Knight.

So that is $90M or more lost in China. At least $100M lost domestically (after TF4 already dropped $100M from TF3). The rest of the overseas territories aren't going to be much better.

We are likely looking at a WW total for Transformers 5 that is under the first film. Sort of crazy to think that it and Logan could end up separated by as little as $50M worldwide.

Top Bottom