• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

The A Ghost Story screening I went to was entirely old white people. They love their indie films. And i don't even know how since most of them are mostly advertised through the internet and social media.

El Topo

Any. Trying to find some new ones to listen to while at work between showings.

I'll gladly shill for We Hate Movies then. Enjoy it a lot more than How Did This Get Made? or The Flop House. If I had to recommend an episode, I'd go with the Mortal Kombat one.

The A Ghost Story screening I went to was entirely old white people. They love their indie films. And i don't even know how since most of them are mostly advertised through the internet and social media.

Old white people are all in on those screenings sites yo

Gofobo, Cinemit, AdvanceScreenings, etc et-wait oh my god am I an old white lady now

Lima

You'd be surprised by some old people man. This man in his 70s in my screening for Berlin Syndrome started talking to me about rotten tomatoes and how the score of the movie is pretty good so he was surprised we were the only two watching it that night.

I sat there thinking like what. Dude just hit me with the knowledge from the youngins.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I wanna be one of those film-dorks that gets to go to SXSW and Sundance and Cannes and Tribeca and FantasticFest :(.

Yo BirthMoviesDeath, I'm always for hire! If you ever need a token black millennial that will defend Meteor Man as a work of art, y'all know where to find me.

kswiston

Other than WB's films, most of the weekend actuals are in.

The Dark Tower ended up with $19.15M

Most other films were pretty close to their estimates. Valerian increased slightly.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wanna be one of those film-dorks that gets to go to SXSW and Sundance and Cannes and Tribeca and FantasticFest :(.

Yo BirthMoviesDeath, I'm always for hire! If you ever need a token black millennial that will defend Meteor Man as a work of art, y'all know where to find me.

No! Fuck that.

BMD should take the token ambiguously brown millennial instead. I, too, can review well enough.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Perhaps they will take both of you. Bronx-Man can cover the DCEU films. You get the Dark Universe.
1344627976362.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
Ok

It's that time of day where we need to talk more about numbers

so

Go guys.

We can't have this turn into a chat, after all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Summer movie season is over. Now we just have a dick-measuring contest over who can sit through the most Terrence Malick films for the next couple of months.

kswiston

Summer movie season is over. Now we just have a dick-measuring contest over who can sit through the most Terrence Malick films for the next couple of months.

I have never seen a Terrence Malick film. I guess this is how Bronsonlee feels about most acclaimed films.

That Plunkett review thread went to hell in a handbasket real fast, even my taunting of that Packer heathen Sephzilla went heavy

In my experience, most old people just show up to the theatre on any given day of the week and just pick their movie in line/at the box office.

If there's a pretentious art film or war epic? Great! If not? Well guess they're seeing Pirates 5 because that's what's playing at that time.

Meier

Wow. Detroit was about half full at most when we went so I knew it wasn't going to do gangbusters, but I didn't expect it to flop that badly. That's a real shame.. it is a very powerful film and is still quite relevant to this day.

3 people walked out about halfway through. I'm not sure if they couldn't take any more of it, if they hated it, if it was too relevant to them and they're right wingers so they were offended by it.. I was very curious.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That Plunkett review thread went to hell in a handbasket real fast, even my taunting of that Packer heathen Sephzilla went heavy

I'm glad I don't know what these words mean.

Summer isn't over until August's Lord and Savior Annabelle: Creation says it is.

kunonabi

I remember when I worked at a movie theatre the only people that would come for Marin Lawrence movies were old white people. They always seemed to have a good time too.

So I saw The Dark Tower today and I thought it was perfectly ok. It wasn't an incredible movie by any means, but it wasn't bad at all and I enjoyed the ~90 minute or so runtime, never once bored or wondering what was going on. I can kinda understand more now why Hollywood is starting to hate rotten tomatoes, while this movie isn't gonna win any awards it DEFINITELY deserves better than 18% on RT. Thats ridiculous that Dunkirk gets 93%, Detroit gets 87%, and this gets 18%. Yes, I understand RT is not a movie score but an aggregate of like/dislike but to me "only" 18% of critics saying this movie is worth a watch tells me there are way too many pretentious movie critics.

I knew pretty much nothing about the Dark Tower series and left the movie feeling like I don't really know much more, but it was a decent enough 80s/90s style pulpy action flick. Reading the news reports before the movie I expected just a jumbled, incoherent mess so hats off to the director for assembling a pretty middle of the road story. Its too bad this is bombing so badly, I think a TV show woulda been good, the brief world building and mythology I saw looked pretty interesting.

Anth0ny

TIFF is all old white people. mother fuckers walking into the VIP section for the Sicario screening all dressed up and shit.

Speaking of not being clairvoyant, back in the April predictions, I said:

Okay, let's look up the BO for the Despicable franchi- oh dear god. So that's basically 350 on domestic alone, 1b total.

Looking up Cars, that has already dropped from 240 to sub-200 with the sequel. I don't expect that to be a contender with Despicable Me around. The sequel made 100m more than Cars at 562, so I guess Cars 3 will make 662, with most of it coming from foreign, say 25-75 percentages.

I might actually get one thing right with Despicable Me 3, yay. (also, I put a hook in for 'if TF5 sucked' but I didn't really believe it would be that bad. I'm very glad it was.)

well, Cars 3 made a weird turn:

Domestic: $147,620,695 51.5%
+ Foreign: $138,750,357 48.5%
= Worldwide: $286,371,052

with the following foreign releases left:

Cambodia 8 August 2017
Vietnam 11 August 2017
Indonesia 16 August 2017
Malaysia 24 August 2017
China 25 August 2017
Denmark 31 August 2017
Singapore 31 August 2017
Norway 1 September 2017
Sweden 1 September 2017
Italy 14 September 2017
Germany 28 September 2017

So unless China pulls in about, oh just 300 million, I completely fumbled that one too.

Top Bottom