• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2 review thread.

Dabanton

Will download this over the weekend. Still need to get the Old Blood finished before then.

As I want to have it done for the Xbox one X launch.

MS really should have launch this week. Would have been awesome but I guess they want to be there for CoD instead.

Angry Fork

Anyone know from reviews/previews if this game's characters and story are as serious/sentimental as the first? I really liked that and am worried about the 2nd being more upbeat/"funny" and just about meaningless action which I'm not really interested in but that's how the trailers all seemed.

Anyone know from reviews/previews if this game's characters and story are as serious/sentimental as the first? I really liked that and am worried about the 2nd being more upbeat/"funny" and just about meaningless action which I'm not really interested in but that's how the trailers all seemed.

Things get really dark starting like, in the first 5 minutes.

Vkandrew

So excited to get this. Probably have to be in a few months since money is a little tight, but The new Order was so damn good and this looks to up it in every way. I hope everyone enjoys it!

Ason

I thought this was play anywhere?

Don't think it ever was officially announced as a Play Anywhere-title, but it was reported in the news as being one as it briefly was shown as Play Anywhere in the Microsoft store, but it got delisted rather quickly if Im not mistaken. It was probably an error to begin with.

Bramble

LOL at the dude cancelling his pre-order because of animal brutality. That is just retarded.

It's on 90 at Metacritic atm. Gonna dive in this tonight.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Where are all the good reviews coming from? The game is kinda meh.. And this is coming from someone who loved the last game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do you need to have played the previous Wolfenstein to get this one?

I want to say a firm Yes, but there is a recap if not. It does tie into The New Order in a lot of ways. I'd say you'd enjoy it more, otherwise it'll sum it up for you.

I love it. There are parts that take me back to Resistance 3
New York especially

Gitaroo

something off about the gameplay, sneaking seems a lot harder now, and I am honestly not enjoying the game play at all, once you are spotted you die super quick.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
something off about the gameplay, sneaking seems a lot harder now, and I am honestly not enjoying the game play at all, once you are spotted you die super quick.

I think it's because you don't notice that you're taking damage. There are a few times that I sneak my head around the corner and all I see is my life go down, nothing is shaking my controller, and my view isnt distorted or shaken. It feels very fluid, but at times it's almost too fluid. I feel like it's only the case with light/medium weapons.

I'm playing on PC so that might be it

I played the first hour or so after work today, and something feels off. I enjoyed it, just less than I expected. It feels clunky and unsatisfying, whereas I found the last game (unless I'm misremembering it) to be the total opposite. I hope it picks up.

Ombra

Do we eventually get a chance to mod heavy weapons?

I played the first hour or so after work today, and something feels off. I enjoyed it, just less than I expected. It feels clunky and unsatisfying, whereas I found the last game (unless I'm misremembering it) to be the total opposite. I hope it picks up.
Let yourself go dude, its gonna be a ride treat it like an installment. I will say the shotgun should have been given earlier It was a bit before the halfway point when I finally got it, and Nazi have been dying so good when I dual wield with them. You still zip across the stages so fast unless you pick up a heavy weapon.

Ombra

Aaaaaand done.

Great game, topped the first in overall enjoyment, best "feeling" gameplay in a shooter i've ever played and I dug the story and its intersection with america's own internal struggles with hate though I can definitely see where a few misteps (no new game plus?!) and changes may have alienated certain segments of gamers amd hardcore fans of the series.

Now all to do all the side missions and enigma targets and gain all the gadgets, I'm getting the season pass the gunplay was just too sweet I need more stuff to kill.

gatti-man

Where are all the good reviews coming from? The game is kinda meh.. And this is coming from someone who loved the last game.

It's pretty great to me

One of my favorite Youtubers describes the problem very well in his review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUt0rNn0p1c

I'm not finished with the game but the examples I do recognize actually are pretty poor for illustrating his point. Like the toilet example. Earlier in the game in just conversation he's talking about how her cherishes actual working plumbing bc of the standard of living he had before. There is a lot of dialogue that occurs by just walking around and listening. If you just watch the cut scenes it's like half of the overalll dialogue.

I would love the game if it wasn't for the ridiculous difficulty spikes. Never have I had to deal with so many instant death and repeating of sections. Enemies deal damage to you also and you have no hit indication, your numbers just drain stupid fast and you suddenly are dead, you don't know you are getting shot at times. Enemies also are bullet spongers while you die so quickly.

Yea Stealth is awful in this, and they are trying to promote stealth game play. The game is full of big open areas and enemies can spot you from a long distance away. You are supposed to sneak around and kill commanders to prevent near endless waves of enemies to come after you, but these commanders are often placed in very difficult places to reach, unless random luck has them wander to you. And even when you kill a commander, the alarms still go off, so you are forced to melee stealth kill commanders completely out of site of anyone else, again something thats not easy. You have commanders wandering around in the middle of 5-10 enemies. Stealth was stupid easy in the first game but was totally optional, here it's like they are pushing you to play stealth while making it super difficult.

Gitaroo

I would love the game if it wasn't for the ridiculous difficulty spikes. Never have I had to deal with so many instant death and repeating of sections. Enemies deal damage to you also and you have no hit indication, your numbers just drain stupid fast and you suddenly are dead, you don't know you are getting shot at times. Enemies also are bullet spongers while you die so quickly.

Yea Stealth is awful in this, and they are trying to promote stealth game play. The game is full of big open areas and enemies can spot you from a long distance away. You are supposed to sneak around and kill commanders to prevent near endless waves of enemies to come after you, but these commanders are often placed in very difficult places to reach, unless random luck has them wander to you. And even when you kill a commander, the alarms still go off, so you are forced to melee stealth kill commanders completely out of site of anyone else, again something thats not easy. You have commanders wandering around in the middle of 5-10 enemies. Stealth was stupid easy in the first game but was totally optional, here it's like they are pushing you to play stealth while making it super difficult.

yeah, the commanders in the first game are place in mid or much closer to the beginning of the level, but in this game at lot of them are place closer to the end after you kill everyone....

gatti-man

yeah, the commanders in the first game are place in mid or much closer to the beginning of the level, but in this game at lot of them are place closer to the end after you kill everyone....

I can usually get half way or further then mad sprint towards the commander while I’m getting shot at. This game is definitely harder than the firstz

DryvBy

Sad this game is full of cinematic crap instead of gameplay. And here I am, with a collector's edition..

I just met the rest of the cast in New York, and I'm still not feeling it. Movement still feels terrible, gunplay is still wholly unsatisfying, and the level design so far has been atrocious. I don't want to rely on the objective marker constantly, but everything looks the same, and I constantly find myself getting snagged on bits of scenery.

My heart aches with disappointment.

Corrik

I do not know where to post this, as I do not have the ability to make threads. I, however, just started playing Wolfenstein 2, and the storytelling is super interesting to me. I am just past the court part, but I am very pleasantly surprised by it so far.

On a side note, this was initially purchased for my fiancee's kid for Xmas. She freaked out over the esrb rating, so I just gave it to myself. Let me just say... I was thinking it would be like COD as far as themes and stuff go. I dodged a huge bullet by not giving them to him. She would have lost her mind lol.

Grimmrobe

I found it a little disappointing compared to the previous one. Not enough gun variety. It feels like most of the effort went into the cutscenes. Still a decent game though.

Corrik

I found it a little disappointing compared to the previous one. Not enough gun variety. It feels like most of the effort went into the cutscenes. Still a decent game though.
I never played the previous ones, so this is all new to me. I like it a lot so far. Hoping to finish it this week and start Final Fantasy XV I think.

Robot Pants

The game definitely seems like a tangent to the originals storyline. Like a spin-off during downtime until the actual sequel kicks in.
It's a little off the wall, but I get what they are going for and I'm into it. Doesn't have quite the appeal of the first game though.

Top Bottom