• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 3 is 'absolutely' being made

MiguelItUp

Okay, fine I guess I can see this, but I'd say this actually made it better in terms of making him completely and utterly hateable.
Exactly, and I think that's the whole point. Along with.... You know..... They made it completely clear that the new series was inspired by grindhouse films, especially the latest game. So it being "over the top" in any and every way shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Kacho

Gold Member
Okay, fine I guess I can see this, but I'd say this actually made it better in terms of making him completely and utterly hateable.

It’s cool if that worked for you. I just thought the Dad bits were boring and ruined the pacing. Like I get it, he’s a dick. Okay...so what? That’s not what I’m playing a Wolfenstein game for. I just want to get some badass guns and shoot some Nazis and mechs. I don’t need BJs life story.

I might get it at some point. I've gotten burned by Bethesda too many times buying a game full price at launch and seeing it discounted to $20 a month later.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does this mean another smear ad campaign or are they getting rid of the propaganda this time?

Or the slanderous ad campaign... that's the definition of propaganda.
What slanderous ad campaign? Im supposed to be concerned about legitimate nazis being offended?

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I remember the golden days of the internet where people had discussion without offending each other or calling names. The good days. Everyone's so angry nowadays.

That being said, I am looking forward to Wolfenstein 3. The first two were a blast.

Last edited:
I really don't like how the producer admits that he was interested in the project because he hates nazis my question is this. In what term does he hate them just deliberately joyful hate, like a maniac? or does he hate what they stand for? Does he hate what the people interacting with people that converted to Nazi's has done to them to convert to Nazi? its just ringing some alarm bells in my mind. for instance there were this documentary about an Arabian girl living with some nazi's and because she treated them like people and followed their actions they started looking into themselves and see what they could do to change their minds... a war on people is a war on people. and i don't believe wars will resolve issues. they only create more problems. I am extremely disappointed if Wolfenstein is changing to that. then i am going to just express my desire for not giving 2 cents about that game anymore.. i guess we still have Doom. for non political agenda's

What slanderous ad campaign? Im supposed to be concerned about legitimate nazis being offended?
That's the problem with today's political climate. No, if they were legitimate Nazis then that's fine, just stop calling people Nazis when they're not one. Not only did the ad campaign lie about our president sympathizing with Nazis and calling them "very fine people".

I wouldn't have an issue if they wouldn't use modern rhetoric to get the message "Nazis are bad" across. I get that Nazis are bad, but "Nazi" is slang for "conservative" nowadays and that couldn't be any more slanderous.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's the problem with today's political climate. No, if they were legitimate Nazis then that's fine, just stop calling people Nazis when they're not one. Not only did the ad campaign lie about our president sympathizing with Nazis and calling them "very fine people".

I wouldn't have an issue if they wouldn't use modern rhetoric to get the message "Nazis are bad" across. I get that Nazis are bad, but "Nazi" is slang for "conservative" nowadays and that couldn't be any more slanderous.
Posts like this remind me that the far left and far right are exactly the same. I have a big issue with far leftists calling everyone who disagrees with them a nazi. It also makes me uncomfortable when people on the far right get offended in situations where there are legit nazis being killed in a video game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well that explains why this went bargain bin so quickly pretty well. I liked the first 1 but 2nd one didn't seem to bring anything new but politics to the table so I passed.

This is where I am at too. Even at $10, I was unable to pull the trigger due to not being a fan of having games I can't finish. Reading how the level design was a chore was the larger drawback to me as well.

I wish they rebooted this in the manner of homage to the OG, like how DOOM is, or at least RtCW with the paranormal elements, even possibly having some "same universe" blend with DOOM since that is paranormal as well.

Such as the acts of Hitler with the paranormal in the OG and Return, were early research linked/kicking off into what was expanded on with DOOM (clearly set in the future).

I mean shit, we borrowed the rocket research (V2) for NASA IRL, so why not have that paranormal link between the two franchises in a canon manner. Then DOOM Guy can still be the decedent of BJ.

Last edited:

Grimmrobe

Posts like this remind me that the far left and far right are exactly the same. I have a big issue with far leftists calling everyone who disagrees with them a nazi. It also makes me uncomfortable when people on the far right get offended in situations where there are legit nazis being killed in a video game.

Killing is wrong. It doesn't matter if it's Nazis. Nazis are people too, with souls and everything.

Gahadmor12

Neo Member
The game never ever said or implied that all Americans had become nazis but like in all nazi occupied countries during WW2, the population had to comply or die in camps.
You only ever fight soldiers in the game. I don't remember a single instance where civilians are called nazis or shown as the ennemy (other than the dad, who was obviously a racist bigot already before the nazis came along).

Implying that the game blurred the line between nazis and white people just shows that the line is blurred in some people's mind today and if nothing else, good on the game to make people think for a moment about the sorry state of today's American society.

And yes the writing was spotty but I don't see anybody complaining about the nonsensical writing in Call of Duty or the latest Shadow Warrior so maybe, just maybe, a lot of people are making the writing a top issue because it challenges their narrow view of the world and not because it's acutally that bad.

This is where I am at too. Even at $10, I was unable to pull the trigger due to not being a fan of having games I can't finish. Reading how the level design was a chore was the larger drawback to me as well.

I wish they rebooted this in the manner of homage to the OG, like how DOOM is, or at least RtCW with the paranormal elements, even possibly having some "same universe" blend with DOOM since that is paranormal as well.

Such as the acts of Hitler with the paranormal in the OG and Return, were early research linked/kicking off into what was expanded on with DOOM (clearly set in the future).

I mean shit, we borrowed the rocket research (V2) for NASA IRL, so why not have that paranormal link between the two franchises in a canon manner. Then DOOM Guy can still be the decedent of BJ.
If you want paranormal elements, there's the 2009 Wolfenstein or the old blood expansion

Stuart360

Would anyone else like a remake of 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein'?, i freaking loved that game, i even got it on PC, PS2, and Xbox lol

oagboghi2

The game never ever said or implied that all Americans had become nazis but like in all nazi occupied countries during WW2, the population had to comply or die in camps.
You only ever fight soldiers in the game. I don't remember a single instance where civilians are called nazis or shown as the ennemy (other than the dad, who was obviously a racist bigot already before the nazis came along).
I haven't beat the game so maybe this is cleared up at the end, but the black chick clearly implies that the Americans liked the nazi's. Don't the KKK take over the south and join them or whatever?

And yes the writing was spotty but I don't see anybody complaining about the nonsensical writing in Call of Duty or the latest Shadow Warrior so maybe, just maybe, a lot of people are making the writing a top issue because it challenges their narrow view of the world and not because it's acutally that bad.
Activision never marketed Call of Duty as "You're either with us or what, you support the terrorists"

Did the devs or the marketing material actually say this verbatim or is that something alt-right people said to dampen the game?
That's the impression I got from their marketing, including the vice video posted in this thread.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Great i hope they keep the BS politics out of this one

Dude, this is a lost cause. The new Wolfenstein Youngblood game is just as woke by their description at their cringe inducing E3. I have written off this franchise for as long as it is made by Machinegames.

Thiagosc777

When it comes to narrative design and writing, it just makes sense that there are influences and inspiration from other sources, be it other entertainment or even real-world events. I don't see your problem here.

The problem is tracing parallels to real world events and likening the actions of the protagonist to Antifa. Wolfenstein II was pretty much an Antifa endorsement.

That's as bad as if someone made a game with tagline "Let's kill infidels" and fictional group based on ISIS.

Thiagosc777

It blows my mind whenever I see people were offended by it,

I don't think anyone is offended. People just chose not to give money to a developer who insulted them. But Bethesda is free to create as many Wokensteins as they want.

I am not American, but I cancelled my pre-order out of principle because they seemed to be endorsing Antifa in their ads.

brap

Banned
The game was littered with tons of feminist/SJW propaganda. Scenes like the one where the strong pregnant woman saves the weak man and then takes her shirt off.
I didn't think it was possible to cringe this hard.

I, like I said do not believe that the game that is putting money on Trump's pockets was there to ridicule America...regarding how much influence and how much close Robert Trump was at the making of it, or any associates of the Trump family.

But the game did not any service to it's narrative as well.

5dsB93y.png
Only white people who call other white people that are crybabies on twitter with white guilt. Normal whites don't call each other that.

Gahadmor12

Neo Member
Don't the KKK take over the south and join them or whatever?
I mean the KKK is a terrorist organization so I put them in the same basket as nazis.

Wolfenstein II was pretty much an Antifa endorsement.
That's as bad as if someone made a game with tagline "Let's kill infidels" and fictional group based on ISIS.
I'm sorry what? Liberating the USA from Nazis and the KKK = Antifa = ISIS?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The problem is tracing parallels to real world events and likening the actions of the protagonist to Antifa. Wolfenstein II was pretty much an Antifa endorsement.

No it was not an antifa endorcement and please don't quote me with that shit. take that tinfoil hat of your head.

The PR director did a shitty job on this games PR. That is all. And when called out for it he smirks.. it was their plan to lift on current politics when the game was getting a promotion and it was fing obvious.
Don't like the politics in the game you must be a nazi!

Thiagosc777

I'm sorry what? Liberating the USA from Nazis and the KKK = Antifa = ISIS?

No it was not an antifa endorcement and please don't quote me with that shit. take that tinfoil hat of your head.

That was a direct reference to an Antifa attack against some white nationalists in the US that happened around the same time. It's pretty clear that they are making BJ and Antifa morally equivalent.

This is just one example. The problem of bringing "real world politics" into a game is exactly that. Any judgement of value about a certain group is going to reflect in the game.

I don't follow people who project "political intentions" to games (games are for entertainment), but in this case it was the developer itself marketing it. It wasn't an outsider accusing them of anything.

Gahadmor12

Neo Member
Sorry but it's not the 20s anymore. The KKK has no power and does fuck all these days. There's even less and less people being apart of it. If you're gonna call the KKK a terrorist organization might as well group Antifa with them since they actively harm people.
You do realize that Wolfenstein is set in a fictional 1961? Antifa did not exist and the Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964. In a world where the nazis took over after WW2, the KKK is probably as bad as it gets.
I don't know what's up with the Antifa fixation when talking about a video game set in the 60s...

Last edited:

Gahadmor12

Neo Member
I think you also have to understand that the relationship of Europe (where the game is being made) to nazis and racist groups today is entirely different than in the US.
The nazi that was punched in the video on which this ad is based would be in prison in France or other European countries, simply for stating nazis ideologies. The fact that he is free to say whatever nazi shit he wants in the US is already dumbfounding to us. You don't have to be an "antifa" to feel like punching a nazi in the face.

I'm sorry but the fact that an ad making fun of an avowed neo-nazi being punched in the face disturbs you disturbs me.

Last edited:
The New Colossus was an absolutely great game, but the story tried to be too zany to the point of being stupid. Not sure where they going for with some scenes, especially any involving Anya and most with Grace, but those did not stick the landing. Also I'd like to see it less stealth and more ripping and tearing, get out of here with this crouching shit to knife fools in the ass, I want going all guns blazing to be a more viable option. Despite all those flaws, I enjoyed TNC quite a bit and despite the solid reception it got from the media I feel it's a bit underrated by the fans. Fix those issues and you got an absolute winner.

brap

Banned
You do realize that Wolfenstein is set in a fictional 1961? Antifa did not exist and the Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964. In a world where the nazis took over after WW2, the KKK is probably as bad as it gets.
I don't know what's up with the Antifa fixation when talking about a video game set in the 60s...
Now I'm confused. The irl KKK hasn't done anything in like 50 years which is what I was trying to say. That's why they're not labeled as a terrorist organization.

I think you also have to understand that the relationship of Europe (where the game is being made) to nazis and racist groups today is entirely different than in the US.
The nazi that was punched in the video on which this ad is based would be in prison in France or other European countries, simply for stating nazis ideologies. The fact that he is free to say whatever nazi shit he wants in the US is already dumbfounding to us. You don't have to be an "antifa" to feel like punching a nazi in the face.

I'm sorry but the fact that an ad making fun of an avowed neo-nazi being punched in the face disturbs you disturbs me.
In WWII people used guns and weapons to kill Nazis. In modern day random people punch other random people because apparently they are "Nazis". If you don't see the parallels here I don't know what to say. If these people literally ruled the country you would be fighting for your life not punching them like upper middle class white kids they refer to everybody they don't like as a nazi.

Gahadmor12

Neo Member
I mean if you keep on insisting that the guy punched in the video is not a nazi and just a random person that I don't like, there is no discussion posible really.

1xucJT5.png

brap

Banned
I mean if you keep on insisting that the guy punched in the video is not a nazi and just a random person that I don't like, there is no discussion posible really.

1xucJT5.png
He's not. All Nazis are dead or like 90 years old. You're also further proving my point that they marketed it as they did because of all this shit.

Hopefully you're not calling me "far right" and I don't want to assume. I do like the premise of killing Nazis because they've done inconceivable things and it helps me fulfill a fantasy, to be honest. But THANK YOU for realizing that both the far left and the far right are the same, perhaps I've misjudged you so please forgive me.

Gahadmor12

Neo Member
He's not. All Nazis are dead or like 90 years old.
Whatever dude, if all you can resort to is arguing on semantics, you're here to argue and not discuss, I'm out of here. I for one can't wait for the next installment in the series :)

Last edited:
He's not. All Nazis are dead or like 90 years old. You're also further proving my point that they marketed it as they did because of all this shit.

When we say Nazis, we don't literally mean pro-Hitler Germans who lived and fought during WWII. We mean any person who believes that their white skin and genealogy make them superior to other ethnicities and who generally wield supremacist views.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I think you also have to understand....

We aren't talking about hypotheticals here. There was a real life event, in which an Antifa supporter punched a white nationalist in the face and that was spread around the web.

That is what this ad is referencing. And that's creating a moral equivalence between Antifa and the protagonist of the game, thus the endorsement.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Checks what forum I'm in

Hey guys, what are all y'all doing in here?

Please get back to discussing, ya know...games.

:messenger_heart:

Doczu

Yeah i borrowed the game from a pal and i'm glad i didn't pay for it. It's not just the "woke" part of the game, but also the crappy level design that turned me off.

Oh and fuck the guy responsible for the story that just revised Blazkowitz childhood and made his dad a "nigger and jew hating", woman beating asshole. Guess BJ had a soft spot for him between all the slaps he received when he narrated his early life in The New Order...

Paasei

I somehow nearly forgot this franchise as soon as we got Doom. Both have the old school'ish gameplay. Wolfenstein has/had more stealth in these 2 games. Interested to see what they manage to do with Wolfenstein 3, should it happen. The easter eggs are absolutely amazing, though.
I haven't even completed Wolfenstein 2 now that I think about it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I remember it being pretty racist towards white people. The black lady (can’t remember her name) kept calling BJ white boy. Was it the other way round then people would have flipped out, but white shaming is ok.

I remember it being pretty racist towards white people. The black lady (can’t remember her name) kept calling BJ white boy. Was it the other way round then people would have flipped out, but white shaming is ok.

In the context of the game's lore, it makes complete sense why she would tease BJ about his skin color. I mean, an entire army of white Nazi soldiers from Europe invaded the U.S. and are trying to exterminate all minorities.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
In the context of the game's lore, it makes complete sense why she would tease BJ about his skin color. I mean, an entire army of white Nazi soldiers from Europe invaded the U.S. and are trying to exterminate all minorities.

Aren’t that incredibly double standard though? A racist is known for generalizing skin color. “Many blacks are criminals, therefore I assume all blacks are criminals.” That’s racist.

“Some white foreigners hates black people. That means every white hates people and therefore I hate them”. That’s kinda racist as well, generalizing everyone just because they are white.

But I don’t blame Bethesda, it’s kind of expected when you use a writer from Sweden.

ruvikx

Banned

The add campaign made a totally unsubtle correlation between Trump supporters, conservatives... & genuine Nazis. Plus the game itself does a totally unsubtle job at showing white Americans as KKK treasonous Nazis whilst black communists/Antifa of sorts are the freedom fighters.

Also, Wolfenstein's recent entry is one of the only games where I've seen actual murder used as a selling point, i.e. people euphorically screaming "I want to shoot Nazis!" in a literal killing simulator. What the hell is wrong with some people? Wolfenstein is a science-fiction fantasy in which its "Nazis" having nothing in common with the real Third Reich, except the color of their uniforms. A bunch of lard ass gamers would not last long in a real war either, so people should probably cut the crap.

As for Bethesda, they're throwing money at a failing franchise which flopped hard in last outing. I wonder if The Evil Within will get the same leniency after it also flopped? Probably not.

yup and mindless as doom.
not being spoonfed how whites being ok with nazi's living in the usa etc.
and many more shitty written story elements making it seem deep

all wolfenstein was is killing nazis like doom no story.
it's like watching a porno and suddenly they are talking about the immigration problems in europe.

You are the face of NuGAF.

Last edited:
The Lefts definition of "Nazi" is so broad these days, I can understand why people arent so quick to identify as "anti-Nazi". Im sure Ive even heard Ben Shapiro talking about being labelled as one.

Doczu

You are the face of NuGAF.
You missed the bus to ERA when they opened or did they kick you out and you need to vent a bit? You old users that sit here hissing and spitting at everyone, reminding all the time that you don't like us or the way discussion flows on the forum, but you sit here because you have nowhere else to go is getting old.

And no, Spukc is right. Wolfenstein would be better of if the game was more like Doom 2016 than what it is now. The New Collosus has an story that is barely passable with cutscenes that made me cringe more than they should.
They tried and failed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom