• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II ad "Make America Nazi-Free Again"

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's good to see Bethesda allowing stuff like this, even if it shouldn't actually be controversial.

My opinion on Bethesda has really turned around this gen. They're not afraid to take risks.

Their last retail release has a black female protagonist who also happens to be bisexual.

Plus they've put out hit after hit this gen with an emphasis on single player. Kudos to Bethesda.

The Wolfenstein Twitter account also retweeted this:

DLTxeu_U8AEk7QJ.jpg
Lol

Uhhh... The Tweet and message of the video simultaneously have to do with the plot of the game though. Why are they not allowed to send a political message with their game?

Damn
That's not what I said. I'm totally cool with the game having a political message. It is the act of marketing in this way that I find opportunistic. Some see that as creative and are applauding them but I'm not so sure I feel the same way.

thumb

Banned
My opinion on Bethesda has really turned around this gen. They're not afraid to take risks.

Their last retail release has a black female protagonist who also happens to be bisexual.

Plus they've put out hit after hit this gen with an emphasis on single player. Kudos to Bethesda.

I'll second this. And your point about having a black, female, LGBT protagonist needs to be emphasized. Publishers don't like taking risks, and it wasn't as though Dishonored 2 was a runaway hit. You could easily see Bethesda demanding the "safest" possible follow-up. Instead we got the awesome Death of the Outsider.

mazillion

I was going to wait for a sale on this one but I love this so much I'm actually considering Day 1

I'm already getting AC:O and SMO though..

That's not what I said. I'm totally cool with the game having a political message. It is the act of marketing in this way that I find opportunistic. Some see that as creative and are applauding them but I'm not so sure I feel the same way.

The game would be about killing Nazis either way, and thus the advertising would be too.

It's not a controversial or opportunistic opinion, it's just the right thing.

L Thammy

Some thing unsettling about a game using political strife to sell more copies.

Cool if the developer has a message, and that stands on its own through the game. But a bit weird being part of the marketing campaign.

I agree, it's unsettling that a this game about destroying members of a dangerous, hateful political ideology has a political message.

CazTGG

Bethesda's been a great publisher this gen IMO, with the caveat of the launch day review copies thing.

That's a pretty big, anti-consumer/anti-reviewer caveat, not to mention their consistent patent trolling of indie developers. Again, I want to buy the game because Nazis can get fucked but I don't want to support Bethesda's business practices.

Bethesda's been the best western publisher this gen by far,

That's not a lofty accomplishment given their peers include EA, WB and Activision.

Cheebo

Banned
Man I love how they are embracing how cathartic it is for us to want to kill nazis with a Nazi sympathizer in Trump as President.

Retweeting that onion tweet was genius.

Bravo. That alone earned my purchase.

Top Bottom