• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus trailer (PC/XB1/PS4, Oct 27th, idtech6), season pass

I'm not a huge FPS person, but I've always had a soft spot for Wolfenstein. Probably the first E3 reveal that I'm psyched for.

So in the press conference, I thought people were cheering when they saw the KKK. Am I wrong?

I assumed people were excited that the game was set in America.

If we can take down the hype levels for just a moment. Give me honest-feedback on the New Order. Is it a decent FPS for say under $30?

My experience with Wolfenstein is only the original Wolf3D six-episode series by Apogee and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein." I never played the other one that came out around 2009/10 maybe?

rtcn63

If we can take down the hype levels for just a moment. Give me honest-feedback on the New Order. Is it a decent FPS for say under $30?

My experience with Wolfenstein is only the original Wolf3D six-episode series by Apogee and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein." I never played the other one that came out around 2009/10 maybe?

It's like Doom 2016 but with better pacing and an actual campaign.

Yoshi88

Had the same history with the franchise as you. I'd say, if you even remotely like SP shooters it's worth it. I'd even call it a great fps for way over 30$. Definitely scratched the HL2 itch for me and was even better in many ways.

(Had to turn the difficulty way down though. I was too rusty to have some good time but playing on easy definitely didn't hinder my great joy afterwards)

Vire

The huge disconnect between semi serious cutscenes and ridiculously over the top violent gameplay just doesnt work for me. It's really jarring.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One thing I hope they improved in this game is the movement. While the gunplay and stuff was often great it often felt like you were just slow enough that strafing rarely worked especially on higher difficulties where you took a ton of damage. I know there are moves like the slide and what not but the couple of boss battles really high lighted the fact that the movement was a little too sluggish and lethargic to really give you that meaty fast paced 90's shooter feel.

obeast

I'm not a huge FPS fan, and I loved it - it's got a really solid story (much more my thing) and some fun retro-modern designs. The shooting felt pretty good, too.

Manu

The huge disconnect between semi serious cutscenes and ridiculously over the top violent gameplay just doesnt work for me. It's really jarring.

Not really? The cutscenes have moments of levity and really dark humor. The tone is perfect.

Ixion

I'm glad to see idTech6 being used. It was built from the ground up for these types of games, and it worked perfectly for DOOM.

I hope this game encourages movement more than The New Order. We don't need to look down and click on every pickup, or have regenerating health that encourages us to take cover. We're obviously still going to deal with hitscan enemies, so cover shooting will still be part of the game, but I just hope clicking on pickups and regenerating health are gone. Speed the game up wherever possible.

I love that the narrative of the Nazi joining up with the KKK and the idea of the cultural mixing pot in the world, fighting Nazi's on the home front. This is like Inglorious Bastards level of what id scenarios. Can't wait

SkylineRKR

New Order was easily the most fun SP shooter since HL2.

This one looks like its going to nail it yet again. Frau Engel is back with a vengeance. And come on, Nazis are the best frag food this side of zombies. Especially if they have modern technology.

Denzar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the end of the last game
I'm pretty sure BJ Blazkowicz died?

We were given that impression, yeah. IIRC you can hear
a heliopter approaching once the screen fades to black? Guess BJ was saved, as he wakes up in a hospital bed and all...

EDIT: Beaten.

riflen

I'm glad to see idTech6 being used. It was built from the ground up for these types of games, and it worked perfectly for DOOM.

I hope this game encourages movement more than The New Order. We don't need to look down and click on every pickup, or have regenerating health that encourages us to take cover. We're obviously still going to deal with hitscan enemies, so cover shooting will still be part of the game, but I just hope clicking on pickups and regenerating health are gone. Speed the game up wherever possible.

These games had a regenerating health mechanic?
The developers stated that they made the player pick up health with a button press so they could choose when to overboost rather than accidentally touching items and wasting them.

The developers stated that they made the player pick up health with a button press so they could choose when to overboost rather than accidentally touching items and wasting them.

Overboost lasted so short a time and you take damage so fast I found the mechanic kinda useless tbh.

I love that the narrative of the Nazi joining up with the KKK and the idea of the cultural mixing pot in the world, fighting Nazi's on the home front. This is like Inglorious Bastards level of what id scenarios. Can't wait

Yeah, Inglorious Bastards is what came to mind as well. Time to start on the 1st one!

riflen

Overboost lasted so short a time and you take damage so fast I found the mechanic kinda useless tbh.

Personally I didn't find it essential either, but I had no problem with pressing a button to pick up what I wanted. I didn't play this game on a controller though, so perhaps just give the player a choice of how to interact with items.

LakeEarth

It's a great story based shooter. Just note that the first level makes it seem like it'll be a lot like the 2009/2010 games, but that gets turned on its head by the following level.

And you don't have to spend $30, it's on sale on PSN for $10 or less every few months.

Between this and new Metro I'm in heaven. Tis the season to be a shooter fan.

Also, is it wrong if I hope the KKK will be enemies too? Would be a nice break from constant nazi shooting.

Ixion

It was a mix. Your health only regenerated up to 20 points. To replenish it further you needed to pick up more health packs. But those 20 regenerating points still means that taking cover for a short period is beneficial to the player. So you find yourself stopping and starting more than something like DOOM.

And yeah, having to click on the pickups made sense if each and every health pack had the potential to overboost you. I'd rather see an approach like DOOM where only special health items overboost you. That would make it so the player can just run around collecting health without worrying about wasting an overboost, all the while you can still overboost by finding a special item (Mega Health or Mega Armor) that you're less likely to collect by mistake.

uocooper

Bethesda deserves all the respect in the world for focusing on single player games. Them and Sony. I don't think I'll be gaming if it wasn't for killer SP.

Amen. I'm glad to see they didn't waste time and money on multi player for this game.

Between Metro Exodus and this, it's already a better E3 than I ever would have thought. The New Order was amazing. I loved the planetarium and moon levels especially. Such great world building. I hope we get to light up some KKK in this one, now that would be satisfying.

I just want to say how much I love the first TNO and Old Blood. This looks fucking amazing - now with idtech 6 behind it the tech can finally catch up with the amazing art and story of the first game.

Xdrive05

I would guess that they are, I don't see them being very happy with you trying to stop the Nazi regime.

Not that historical accuracy is what they're going for, but the KKK would probably not be fans of a foreign tongued invading force, even with the Venn diagram of overlapping of evil attitudes they share. But it's easy enough to write off as the KKK being given some subjugated role in the regime that lets them power trip their hatreds as long as they don't challenge the new order (ha!).

So they'll probably be combat enemies which will be fun, and hopefully add more variety to it. I enjoyed fighting there counterparts in Bioshock Infinite. It's a tool the designers could use to good effect, for story too if they bother.

Was that nazi asking for id

Looked straight ripped from inglorious bastards to anyone else?
Bad guy asking someone in disguise for identification is nothing new

Machinegames' style is all about monologues and tense sequences like this, surely influenced by Tarantino, but it's not a copy or anything

Top Bottom