• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
God damn it. The 360 version (in Germany at least) has all 4 discs stacked. So much for seeing if I could find a blank case to replace my copy of Lost Odyssey.

http://youtu.be/YofwEtdVFuQ?t=2m21s

Oh god
KuGsj.gif

Drewfonse

Im up to chapter 4 and really liking this game so far. The option to take a more stealthy approach is a good one. I realise I might get ambushed for saying that being that its a wolfenstein game but hey ho.

Nice. What difficulty and platform are you playing it on? Can you see yourself replaying it on a harder difficulty?

MANGOD

Banned
Nice. What difficulty and platform are you playing it on? Can you see yourself replaying it on a harder difficulty?
Im on ps4 and playing the game on hard, cant remember the exact name its given. I normally dont do second play throughs im a one and done kinda guy. Going for most of the trophys even though without spoiling anything you would need to play through twice for certain trophys.

SkylineRKR

I am in Chapter 6 or so and I like the game most when playing Stealth. Because I don't really enjoy the gunfights. The enemies spawn cheaply next to you out of those 'rooms' a lot of times (the door opens once you walk past an invisible trigger). And when you engage they just stand still like retards most of the time. The difference in difficulty seems to lie in their accuracy and damage, you die quicker on DI but otherwise its just as boring AI as Easy. So you can't walk past that corner because especially heavies will 2 shot you. And they just stand still as well so its a lot of bad looking pop 'n shoot. Which IS a bit old school though.

Friendly AI is ridiculous too, they will just stand in the complete wide open and fire on anything. They also push you away if you happen to be in their path. And yet all enemies aim directly for you, even though you're miles away from them and the friendly is right in front of them. Its that kind of game. The knife fight from the video is from the tonfa enemies, they'll do it once you engage melee. It looks dumb. The physics are bad anyway, likely courtesy of Tech 5? When you shoot a dog he will sometimes slide a few yards away for no reason.

But its otherwise a really good game. The atmosphere, storyline, and level design is all great. The game actually reminds me a lot of Goldeneye. Especially Chapter 3 was almost the same, taking my own route with a silencer. You aren't really pushed forward, you can search every corner of the map. Which is a welcome thing these days.

Personally speaking, I'm starving for a new current gen title to play. I was totally dissapointed in the new infamous (it felt hollow and very repetitive) and I'm completely burned out on Titanfall.

I think Wolfenstein will fill that void for me. Although it is a traditional FPS, it seems to offer more than your run of the mill shooters.

Me precisely. As another GAFer said on here...'my PS4 is hungry'...this will feed the beast until The Order et al arrive...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Im on ps4 and playing the game on hard, cant remember the exact name its given. I normally dont do second play throughs im a one and done kinda guy. Going for most of the trophys even though without spoiling anything you would need to play through twice for certain trophys.

I Am Death Incarnate for difficulty ? (one below Uber, the most difficult)

DieH@rd

Banned
I am in Chapter 6 or so and I like the game most when playing Stealth. Because I don't really enjoy the gunfights. The enemies spawn cheaply next to you out of those 'rooms' a lot of times (the door opens once you walk past an invisible trigger). And when you engage they just stand still like retards most of the time. The difference in difficulty seems to lie in their accuracy and damage, you die quicker on DI but otherwise its just as boring AI as Easy. So you can't walk past that corner because especially heavies will 2 shot you. And they just stand still as well so its a lot of bad looking pop 'n shoot. Which IS a bit old school though.

Friendly AI is ridiculous too, they will just stand in the complete wide open and fire on anything. They also push you away if you happen to be in their path. And yet all enemies aim directly for you, even though you're miles away from them and the friendly is right in front of them. Its that kind of game. The knife fight from the video is from the tonfa enemies, they'll do it once you engage melee. It looks dumb. The physics are bad anyway, likely courtesy of Tech 5? When you shoot a dog he will sometimes slide a few yards away for no reason.

But its otherwise a really good game. The atmosphere, storyline, and level design is all great. The game actually reminds me a lot of Goldeneye. Especially Chapter 3 was almost the same, taking my own route with a silencer. You aren't really pushed forward, you can search every corner of the map. Which is a welcome thing these days.

Ah... I have such a good memories of playing Goldeneye with a silencer.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The physics are bad anyway, likely courtesy of Tech 5? When you shoot a dog he will sometimes slide a few yards away for no reason.

I've seen a few people say this, I'm guessing is referring mostly to the enemy hit reactions/death animations. ...Which is weird, because Rage has some of the best hit reactions in the industry. Hitting a guy in the head as he charges to have the momentum carry him straight past you and crumple into a wall never gets old.

I've seen a few people say this, I'm guessing is referring mostly to the enemy hit reactions/death animations. ...Which is weird, because Rage has some of the best hit reactions in the industry. Hitting a guy in the head as he charges to have the momentum carry him straight past you and crumple into a wall never gets old.

So great.
idLabCqNA2kaz.gif

SkylineRKR

Rage's gunplay is seriously a few steps above this. I also got the Shotgun in Wolf today, and the difference between this and the one from Rage is night and day. Rage also nailed the strafe shooting against the small guys who would aggro you in groups. And there were the ammo types and Wingsticks. The melee guys in TNO don't really aggro you, they just walk towards you instead. You can just dance around as long as you're outside of their melee range. I think the AI of TNO is excactly the same as the one found in The Darkness.

If the shooting and enemy behaviour from Rage was carried over in TNO, we would've had one excellent game.

How long was it?

Also, with no spoilers, why was the second half a 5? Is it because of the ending or is the gameplay and design worse?

15-16 hours for me.
Gameplay stays the same but level design, story and atmosphere get worse. The last chapter wasn't bad though. Ending is short and not satisfying, boss fights are uninspired.

Would you say you liked DNF more than the new Wolf game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751676

No! I only liked DNF during my first playthrough and noticed how bad this game is when I tried to play it again, lol. Wolfenstein New Order is way better than DNF.

seph1roth

Finished. i give it a 6.5/10.
8/10 for the first half
5/10 for the second half.
Boss fights are boring and the ending is garbage.

I can't believe this...really.

This is bullsh**! I can´t believe that Perfect Dark ARCADE is the best FPS of the generation, a HD port of a N64 game.

When in the rest of our gamers life will see another good 90's FPS game? Really, i'm starting to lose the hope.

eXistor

How long was it?

Also, with no spoilers, why was the second half a 5? Is it because of the ending or is the gameplay and design worse?

I'm at chapter 12 myself and for me the game is slowly becoming less and less interesting (game seems to have peaked at chapter 6). The levels have become quite rote and I feel I'm just going through the motions now.

I can't believe this...really.

This is bullsh**! I can´t believe that Perfect Dark ARCADE is the best FPS of the generation, a HD port of a N64 game.

When in the rest of our gamers life will see another good 90's FPS game? Really, i'm starting to lose the hope.
Hard Reset was great. Not quite the sandbox levels of yesteryear, but it captures the feel quite nicely. Or maybe try the Shadow Warrior reboot, but that's more of a Serious Sam style game (of which the 4th is coming, so there's that). Also I hear fairly good things about the latest Rise of the Triad, I have played it for a little bit and that's a 90's shooter to a tee. I should start that up again someday.

Moofers

Been going back and forth on buying this. I watched a stream on PS4 last night and the player was in the exact same spot I played at PAX last year so that was no help.

Pretty sure I'm going to pass based on what I've heard in here and the fact that they can't even tell us about he unlock mode, AND there's no reviews until launch day.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at chapter 12 myself and for me the game is slowly becoming less and less interesting (game seems to have peaked at chapter 6). The levels have become quite rote and I feel I'm just going through the motions now.

Hard Reset was great. Not quite the sandbox levels of yesteryear, but it captures the feel quite nicely. Or maybe try the Shadow Warrior reboot, but that's more of a Serious Sam style game (of which the 4th is coming, so there's that). Also I hear fairly good things about the latest Rise of the Triad, I have played it for a little bit and that's a 90's shooter to a tee. I should start that up again someday.

Nah Shadow Warrior would definitely be more Hard Reset in design than Serious Sam, would make sense since Flying Wild Hog made both :p

VASPER

Banned
No! I only liked DNF during my first playthrough and noticed how bad this game is when I tried to play it again, lol. Wolfenstein New Order is way better than DNF.[/QUOTE]

I took you seriously until this, I'm sorry man but DNF is a horrible piece of crap. IMO

seph1roth

Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset are mostly a acurrent FPS with a 90's gameplay, i want a 90's FPS in general:

- Good level design
- Backtracking
- A little bit exploration
- Lifebar
- More than 1 weapon at the same time and more than 2 on the inventory. (this can be optional)

I'm asking too much? :(

eXistor

Nah Shadow Warrior would definitely be more Hard Reset in design than Serious Sam, would make sense since Flying Wild Hog made both :p
Eh, I dunno, Shadow Warrior was much more waves of enemies than Hard Reset imo. I can live with calling it a mix of the two, but there's some definite SS vibes going on in SW. That's not a bad thing mind you, I fucking love Serious Sam.

Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset are mostly a acurrent FPS with a 90's gameplay, i want a 90's FPS in general:

- Good level design
- Backtracking
- Lifebar
- More than 1 weapon at the same time and more than 2 on the inventory. (this can be optional)

Yes ;)

I'm with you though. I'm sick of modern shooters, they're all the same shallow "cinematic" experiences over and over again. It's mostly the more open-ended level design that I miss so dearly, I just hate being guided through linear levels.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

- Good level design
- Backtracking
- Lifebar

You could try the Rise Of The Triad remake. It's very much a 90s shooter but it launched very buggy and with some problems. It's much better now though and has been patched a lot. You could see if that hits some sort of spot for you.

Eh, I dunno, Shadow Warrior was much more waves of enemies than Hard Reset imo. I can live with calling it a mix of the two, but there's some definite SS vibes going on in SW. That's not a bad thing mind you, I fucking love Serious Sam.

Well yeah I can see it being a mix of both styles but then I thought the same of Hard Reset tbh. Been a long time since I played Hard Reset mind.

seph1roth

You could try the Rise Of The Triad remake. It's very much a 90s shooter but it launched very buggy and with some problems. It's much better now though and has been patched a lot. You could see if that hits some sort of spot for you.

Yeah, i must try it but i'm refering a game like Wolfenstein TNO for example, with current graphics and those things.

See that i'm not asking graphics like Crysis or Metro, the graphics from Wolfenstein TNO are enough for me, i'm not a big graphic whore, but i need a mix of current gen techonlogy + 90's FPS a like game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, i must try it but i'm refering a game like Wolfenstein TNO for example, with current graphics and those things.

See that i'm not asking graphics like Crysis or Metro, the graphics from Wolfenstein TNO are enough for me, i'm not a big graphic whore, but i need a mix of current gen techonlogy + 90's FPS a like game.

Well I guess it depends on what you class as 'recent technology' as it was made with UE3 and it's 90s in design. But yeah it didn't exactly have the budget of Wolfenstein TNO etc.

Top Bottom