• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Spux666

Banned
The hype levels for this game are high! I wasn't even aware that I'm getting a notebook with my preorder. That's pretty neat :)

Anyone know if there is going to be an unlockable difficulty above uber?

Played the last wolfenstein game on steam today, game seems pretty rad. The zero grav bits are cool, but i don't like where the story is going (occult stuff)

Charleston

Neo Member
This is looking good, I hope this is good and meaty too, it seems to be.

Played the last wolfenstein game on steam today, game seems pretty rad. The zero grav bits are cool, but i don't like where the story is going (occult stuff)

Yeah, the occult stuff doesn't rub everyone the right way, as far as I know, this one is just going to have super science in it, no ghost or magic, or what have you.

Yeah, the occult stuff doesn't rub everyone the right way, as far as I know, this one is just going to have super science in it, no ghost or magic, or what have you.

I REALLY hope this game doesn't have any occult stuff, so far it seems a bit sci-fi'ish which is good.

I just can't get into any game with occult elements, I am not religions and i consider it all to be a joke (no offence to anyone)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really mind the occultist stuff, since if I'm not wrong, either Himmler or Hitler (maybe both) was obsessed with the occult.

Occult sort of comes with the territory, RTCW featured a plot where the Nazis were trying to resurrect an ancient German king to lead the Reich.

Honestly don't bother if you're not feeling it. The game's story is half-assed and sort of just there. It was like Raven (Who I love mind you) didn't really have a clear sense or motivation to establish any sort of identity. I remember digging it at the time, but in retrospect realize it's because I just wanted ANYTHING Wolfenstein.

Wolf2009 in the end just felt like an effort to keep the IP alive but not much else:

- Weak story.
- Completely nonexistent characterization of ANYBODY including B.J. I understand it's not exactly gonna ever be Naughty Dog or anything, but they don't even try. It's super bland.
- Workman-like visual direction/execution. The game is never really good looking (even at 60fps on PC), just serviceable.
- Knock-off gameplay systems (FEAR, etc.,) that diluted the game more than helped it. Even the whole hub system ends up being more work than fun and came off as just a bullet point sell the game to the publishers or something.
- No real villain, at least one I could remember

Basically The New Order is the complete opposite of it.... or at least so it appears

Levyne

Banned
I REALLY hope this game doesn't have any occult stuff, so far it seems a bit sci-fi'ish which is good.

I just can't get into any game with occult elements, I am not religions and i consider it all to be a joke (no offence to anyone)

I forget where it was exactly, but in one of the Q and A's, someone asked

(Paraphrased)

"So you threw out all of Activision's occult stuff, right"

"Hahaha...yes"

Edit: Here it is, though not ironclad, I suppose

EBE

I don't really mind the occultist stuff, since if I'm not wrong, either Himmler or Hitler (maybe both) was obsessed with the occult.

they were. personally, i feel like there are only two ways to make the nazis interesting to fight in a game that isnt 100% historically accurate: you either play up their wunderwaffe tech or you dive into their occult obsessions. i remember RTCW had a nice mix of the two. id prefer that over picking just one.

Deadbeat

Banned
Occult sort of comes with the territory, RTCW featured a plot where the Nazis were trying to resurrect an ancient German king to lead the Reich.
and they succeeded. But then a few panzerfausts later he died.
they were. personally, i feel like there are only two ways to make the nazis interesting to fight in a game that isnt 100% historically accurate: you either play up their wunderwaffe tech or you dive into their occult obsessions. i remember RTCW had a nice mix of the two. id prefer that over picking just one.
RTCW was neat because it went regular nazi killing then you went into a crypt killing zombies. It went back and forth like that and it was a really good balance.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
This might've been answered earlier but have any of gotten the beta code to access the doom game? I pre-ordered the game on ps4 and have yet to receive it.

Honestly don't bother if you're not feeling it. The game's story is half-assed and sort of just there. It was like Raven (Who I love mind you) didn't really have a clear sense or motivation to establish any sort of identity. I remember digging it at the time, but in retrospect realize it's because I just wanted ANYTHING Wolfenstein.

Wolf2009 in the end just felt like an effort to keep the IP alive but not much else:

- Weak story.
- Completely nonexistent characterization of ANYBODY including B.J. I understand it's not exactly gonna ever be Naughty Dog or anything, but they don't even try. It's super bland.
- Workman-like visual direction/execution. The game is never really good looking (even at 60fps on PC), just serviceable.
- Knock-off gameplay systems (FEAR, etc.,) that diluted the game more than helped it. Even the whole hub system ends up being more work than fun and came off as just a bullet point sell the game to the publishers or something.

Basically The New Order is the complete opposite of it.... or at least so it appears

I am gonna play it some more. Honestly the stupid story aside, the gameplay is fun. I only played it for 30 minutes or so, but I like it more than Killzone Shadow Fall and Crysis 3 already.

This new game looks way more exciting though, especially from a gameplay perspective

I forget where it was exactly, but in one of the Q and A's, someone asked

(Paraphrased)

"So you threw out all of Activision's occult stuff, right"

"Hahaha...yes"

Edit: Here it is, though not ironclad, I suppose

awesome!

Levyne

Banned
This might've been answered earlier but have any of gotten the beta code to access the doom game? I pre-ordered the game on ps4 and have yet to receive it.

Jens Matthies said in his AMA that PSN preorders should get the beta...but he does specify North America.

ytEOKGg.png

To be honest, the whole Beta situation feels a bit half baked.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Deathshead...

I really love Wolf09 despite it's problems. It gets off to a slow start with short missions and mediocre weapons, but it's a lot of fun by the end and you can just go nuts and use all the really satisfying high powered stuff constantly.

Deathshead...

I really love Wolf09 despite it's problems. It gets off to a slow start with short missions and mediocre weapons, but it's a lot of fun by the end and you can just go nuts and use all the really satisfying high powered stuff constantly.

Crazy as yeah, I don't remember him even being in it at all. Just mentioned often.

I will agree that both the look and sound of the Telsa cannon was fucking awesome. But outside of that, it felt like Call of Doody seeped a bit too much into the DNA of the game as a whole (Activision games had a habit of giving this off during that era IE: looking/sounding oddly similar, complete with identical control layouts). Hell the early parts of it could even be mistaken for WWII era CoD, complete with ADS and such.

From an art perspective, the game further bummed me out as it seemed like it wanted to by quasi-Cthulu/Mike Mignola in a way, but didn't push it far enough. That and DooM3/iD-Tech 4 did it no favors either.

Could you imagine a Wolf game with Hellboy like aesthetics?

Glorious

Is RTCW multiplayer still alive? I realized that my GMG account updated to $5.99 credit so that + a 20% off voucher can get me the game preordered for just over $40.

Also I have a good feeling that this will get Playfire Rewards.

ElRenoRaven

Is RTCW multiplayer still alive? I realized that my GMG account updated to $5.99 credit so that + a 20% off voucher can get me the game preordered for just over $40.

Also I have a good feeling that this will get Playfire Rewards.

*Edit*

Nevermind. Guess you can't anymore. Just a couple months ago I did but now it turns up nothing.

Looking forwards to reviews for this game. Was 50/50 on this or Watch_Dogs and my decision for the near future has almost been made for me.

BBboy20

If I could afford it, this would be the game that would get me to upgrade my graphics card. Just hope it's well optimized to handle a GTX260 at high settings since it looks so damn gorgeous.

Levyne

Banned
If I could afford it, this would be the game that would get me to upgrade my graphics card. Just hope it's well optimized to handle a GTX260 at high settings since it looks so damn gorgeous.

Hmm, of all the things to call this game, I'm not sure "gorgeous" is one I've seen often.

PC performance will be interesting. I know a lot of people really despise the engine. I haven't played Rage to know much about it though other than lots of issue involving bad textures.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

- Weak story.

I don't really agree with this at all. I loved the added occult stuff and felt it really added to the game. Great fun running into a room full of Nazis, slowing down time and taking them all out really quickly. It gives the player a lot of choice in how to approach the combat.

Also I think you undersell just how damn satisfying Wolf 09 is to play. It's a great fuckin game and replaying it recently just confirmed that yet again. Raven absolutely nail the gameplay and all the weapons are fun as hell to use, that to me is the most important thing in a Wolfenstein game and that makes it extremely replayable for me. That and letting the player keep all the weapons :) (even if I am looking forward to seeing how MachineGames do the story in New Order)

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't really agree with this at all. I loved the added occult stuff and felt it really added to the game. Great fun running into a room full of Nazis, slowing down time and taking them all out really quickly. It gives the player a lot of choice in how to approach the combat.

Also I think you undersell just how damn satisfying Wolf 09 is to play. It's a great fuckin game and replaying it recently just confirmed that yet again. Raven absolutely nail the gameplay and all the weapons are fun as hell to use, that to me is the most important thing in a Wolfenstein game and that makes it extremely replayable for me. That and letting the player keep all the weapons :) (even if I am looking forward to seeing how MachineGames do the story in New Order)

I think Wolf 2009 had too much occult and it's odd since deathshead is a man of "science". I really missed the Übersoldat program that they had in RTCW. The gameplay was great but slowing time made it a bit too easy :/

I rather that the Wolf ip either does like RTCW and blends tech with occult or just go tech (mech) and no occult at all

I feel ya. Hell, I bought this game 3 different times over the years (trying to finish it).
I do agree also that there is instances were then gunplay and general gameplay is satisfying. Ultimately though, the lack of any standout identity just made me really disinterested towards the latter half. There's no real style or humor to speak of. It just moves from point a to b to c, etc.

Levyne

Banned
I've said this a couple times in the last couple weeks, but Wolf 09 on Steam would be an instant re-purchase for me. I barely remember it and feel lost when people discuss it because of that. :(

I remember the last 60-90 minutes being very bizarre, though.

sjay1994

They said in an interview their focus was on tech, and they weren't going to use occult like the other game. It was a gamespot interview if I remember correctly.

T.O.P

Banned
Do we know anything abour resolution/fps for X1/PS4?

I would prefer to get this on X1 but i won't if it will be subpar

Deathshead...

Wolf09 is so underrated. It might not have the most amazing graphics or story but its fun. Just flat out fun. The weapons are all great and the veil powers are great, especially empower. They shouldve just given you all the veil powers from the start and just been like "have at it". Theres a nice mix of settings too, from old country farms to secret bases, to castles, to bombed out cities and churches. Its a great game.

I also enjoy the occult aspect of RTCW/Wolf09, but the hard sci-fi approach of TNO is just as appealing.

DrKelpo

Banned

Yes and no... To my knowledge they were interested especially in Northern mythology because among other things it fitted their arian worldview. But the depiction in wolfenstein games or movies like hellboy or Indiana Jones are highly exaggerated. Not in regards of the stuff that happens^^it's of course fiction... But in regards that there were no expeditions to find all kind of historical artifacts to harness the power and no special divisions for that stuff.

Vee_One

Has this been delayed in Australia (or anywhere else) on Steam?
Steam is now saying May 2014 - previously it said 20 May 2014

Levyne

Banned
Has this been delayed in Australia (or anywhere else) on Steam?
Steam is now saying May 2014 - previously it said 20 May 2014

Hmm, weird, it used to be that some regions were the 22nd or 24th, but then they made it May 20th everywhere. Would seem weird to backtrack on that. I'm not aware.

Top Bottom