• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman in body armor shoots up neighborhood, police in high speed chase..taken alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosaeon

Three counts of attempted murder and she's just allowed to casually live in some little neighborhood ? And own a gun with that in mind ? (could be illegally I suppose).

Jaeger

The aurora shooter surrendered to police, probably why he wasn't shot. But don't let facts get in the way of your silly outrage.

The difference is that most of our brown brethren aren't given a chance to surrender, and they committed far less heinous crimes, and are usually not even armed.

minx

Are some people seriously getting outraged on her not getting shot?

Every single incident is the same requiring the same outcome even with different departments with different officers involved in each incident.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Seems so. Cops do bad, rake them over the coals. Other different cops do their job, and let's just twist and find some way to shit on them anyway. Way to feed the ultra conservative narrative that all of this is really about how people just don't like police because they once got a ticket or some shit.

Marvel

could never
uCTy8Sh.jpg

osQhXPd.gif

I don't think that's what the outrage is about. The outrage is that the standard excuse, 'oh, he looked to have a weapon' clearly didn't apply here as not only did this person have a weapon, they even used it confirming it to be real, yet here they are rotting in jail while a guy in a Walmart gets shot for have a fake guys pointed at the ground. Now, while these are pretty different circumstances, it is sadly telling that the defacto response to black guy is shoot first, ask questions later, while the whites seem to be getting the far more reasonable response of try to take the person alive.

Derwind

Def no.

Race Wars are serious business here and every single incident is the same requiring the same outcome even with different departments with different officers involved in each incident.

The current outcome is the only outcome people want when encountering the police. Also, you sound like your issue is coming from something else here... I mean "Race Wars"?

The issue with policies, real policies in many PD's on how to deal with visible minority communities and youths of those communities do exist and are at the forefront of the debate right now all over the US.

Its sounds like you're trying to make light of the actual issue's or dismissing them all together by your phrasing of "Race Wars". Who ever invented that saying is a fucking asshole btw.

Seems so. Cops do bad, rake them over the coals. Other different cops do their job, and let's just twist and find some way to shit on them anyway. Way to feed the ultra conservative narrative that all of this is really about how people just don't like police because they once got a ticket or some shit.

Who in this thread even said the cops didn't do a good job at not shooting/killing someone? Yes, the cops did a fucking marvelous job at doing their job very effectively in the presence of a deranged human being. Congrats!

ITT, people are really surprised/not really surprised at the outcome of an offense that a visible minority would not get away with so easily or with their life & limb intact.

"If a black man did the same thing in the same neighborhood then what do we think would have happened..?"

I think any potential outrage is likely going to be linked to the above question, given recent events...

StayDead

I'm glad she didn't get shot even after what she did, I just wish the American police would be this understanding when it isn't a woman. If they were this consistent in not firing at and killing people maybe there wouldn't be so many problems.

WanderingWind

Who in this thread even said the cops didn't do a good job at not shooting/killing someone? Yes, the cops did a fucking marvelous job at doing their job very effectively in the presence of a deranged human being. Congrats!

ITT, people are really surprised/not really surprised at the outcome of an offense that a visible minority would not get away with so easily or with their life & limb intact.

You did. Just now. Calm the fuck down.

JDSN

Banned
There aint body armor as strong as having the right amount of melanin.

Edit: Yikes, somebody used the term "Race wars" in a non-ironic manner.

Jaeger

Race Wars are serious business here and every single incident is the same requiring the same outcome even with different departments with different officers involved in each incident.

Race Wars? The fuck?

Not in the least bit. Unlike some police offers and racist, I am all for human rights and safely detaining criminals.

You did. Just now. Calm the fuck down.

Hate when people do this. His response was calm and very well articulated. This was clearly you just trying way to fucking hard.

There aint body armor as strong as having the right amount of melanin.

Ain't that the truth.

WanderingWind

Race Wars? The fuck?

Not in the least bit. Unlike some police offers and racist, I am all for human rights and safely detaining criminals.

Hate when people do this. His response was calm and very well articulated. This was clearly you just trying way to fucking hard.

Ain't that the truth.

I question your sense of what "calm" and "articulate" is. Especially considering your post above.

"Yes, the cops did a fucking marvelous job at doing their job very effectively in the presence of a deranged human being. Congrats!"

So calm. So articulate.

yep, pretend different circumstances are the same. Bunch of police knowing they're dealing with a woman with a rifle is the same as someone drawing out a pistol and pointing it at your face point blank when you're alone. Same thing really. Like, you don't have a visceral reaction trying to save your own life or anything.

Lace

That's really amazing she didn't get shot. I assume she surrendered or ran out of bullets. I'm glad that it ended with no deaths.

She definitely needs mental help.

We're not allowed to point out the obvious difference in responses? When Tamir Rice and John Crawford III got shot, they weren't even given the opportunity to surrender, despite not even holding real guns or even pointing/shooting them at people. Should we not be outraged about that?

The outrage isn't that she wasn't murdered in cold blood, but rather, why can't more suspects be treated with such kid gloves? We all know the reason, but apparently it's "shitting on cops" to point it out.

WanderingWind

We're not allowed to point out the obvious difference in responses? When Tamir Rice and John Crawford III got shot, they weren't even given the opportunity to surrender, despite not even holding real guns or even pointing/shooting them at people. Should we not be outraged about that?

The outrage isn't that she wasn't murdered in cold blood, but rather, why can't more suspects be treated with such kid gloves? We all know the reason, but apparently it's "shitting on cops" to point it out.

Nope. You will not misquote me to suggest I'm unaware of the racial component to this all. Don't even try that nonsense. You're smarter than that. Let's not pretend "gosh, why wasn't she shot" is in the same sphere of appropriateness of "Hey, this is how cops should act with everybody."

EDIT: And we're going to continue to gloss over the fact that you're talking about different cases and suggesting that anybody is saying they shouldn't be outraged when cops do illegal and immoral shit? Nobody is saying that bad cops shouldn't be thrown in jail ITT. But what I am saying, in what I thought was fairly clear speech, is that when cops handle dangerous situations in a way in which nobody died, that's a cause for celebration. Not to attach it to other cases that those police had nothing to do with.

Nope. You will not misquote me to suggest I'm unaware of the racial component to this all. Don't even try that nonsense. You're smarter than that. Let's not pretend "gosh, why wasn't she shot" is in the same sphere of appropriateness of "Hey, this is how cops should act with everybody."

First, how did I misquote you? Did you not say that people were shitting on cops? Did you not try to reduce this to people "throwing a tantrum over traffic tickets" rather than fitting into the larger narrative of gun violence against civilians?

Secondly, the OP is over the top, ham-fistedly, sarcastically posting that it's "SHOCKING NEWS" that she was taken alive as a white woman.

You really think the posters here replying with snark want more white suspects being gunned down, instead of less black suspects being gun downed? If so, you need to step away from the keyboard and reassess your grasp of this thread.

EDIT: And we're going to continue to gloss over the fact that you're talking about different cases and suggesting that anybody is saying they shouldn't be outraged when cops do illegal and immoral shit? Nobody is saying that bad cops shouldn't be thrown in jail ITT. But what I am saying, in what I thought was fairly clear speech, is that when cops handle dangerous situations in a way in which nobody died, that's a cause for celebration. Not to attach it to other cases that those police had nothing to do with.

There are those of us who believe that the police should treat everyone the same, across the entire country. Crazy, I know. You're not getting a round of applause for maintaining the status quo.

Derwind

I question your sense of what "calm" and "articulate" is. Especially considering your post above.

"Yes, the cops did a fucking marvelous job at doing their job very effectively in the presence of a deranged human being. Congrats!"

So calm. So articulate.

Okay seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? You're quick to dismiss my post or even discuss the issue but my state of mind is such a damn concern that you frame the current discussion around it.

You came into this thread swinging with some faux outrage over the precieved shitting of cops that been had in this thread .... how quickly that seems to have petered out.

I'm done with you.

Edit; Thats was a non-ironic statement you quoted btw.

WanderingWind

First, how did I misquote you? Did you not say that people were shitting on cops? Did you not try to reduce this to people "throwing a tantrum over traffic tickets" rather than fitting into the larger narrative of gun violence against civilians?

Secondly, the OP is over the top, ham-fistedly, sarcastically posting that it's "SHOCKING NEWS" that she was taken alive as a white woman.

You really think the posters here replying with snark want more white suspects being gunned down, instead of less black suspects being gun downed? If so, you need to step away from the keyboard and reassess your grasp of this thread.

Yes, I am saying people were shitting on cops unnecessarily. In this instance. Not that cops have proven themselves to generally be untrustworthy and abusive. But in this case, that narrative doesn't fit. They did their job admirably, from all accounts.
No, I did not reduce this to the people throwing a tantrum over tickets. In fact, if you reread that, you will see I am saying the exact, precise, literal opposite.

Third, I said very specifically, that this is how cops should be handling business with everybody. I have literally no idea why you decided to post the "crazy, I know" thing. We agree almost entirely. You're using me as a stand-in for police support and you've most definitely got the wrong guy there.

Siegcram

Yes, I am saying people were shitting on cops unnecessarily. In this instance. Not that cops have proven themselves to generally be untrustworthy and abusive. But in this case, that narrative doesn't fit. They did their job admirably, from all accounts.
No, I did not reduce this to the people throwing a tantrum over tickets. In fact, if you reread that, you will see I am saying the exact, precise, literal opposite.

Third, I said very specifically, that this is how cops should be handling business with everybody. I have literally no idea why you decided to post the "crazy, I know" thing. We agree almost entirely. You're using me as a stand-in for police support and you've most definitely got the wrong guy there.
There is no "cop shitting" in this thread. None.

Pointing out preposterous double standards doesn't qualify.

WanderingWind

Well, okay, I disagree. Not much else to say, tbh. I tend to think that when cops do things like this, it's a sign that maybe, just maybe, there are still good cops out there. Perhaps I was a bit taken back by the amount of snark that cops doing the right thing for a change managed to generate.

true, there's no cop shitting. Except on the part where people mention white armor, which indicates that if that person were of another skin color she'd be dead. You can't call that shitting on the cops either per se, but it's shitting on police force as a whole by calling them inherently racist.

Specially when there's different officers in each case, different circumstances and many other factors. However some people just want to have a good chuckle and go straight for the white skin.

Since I don't keep up with the news from the US often, hasn't there been a single case of a black person using firearms and pointing at officers and surviving the encounter? If there hasn't been a single one I understand being all cynical. But if the precedent exists, I don't really get the downplaying and mockery of the situation.

WanderingWind

true, there's no cop shitting. Except on the part where people mention white armor, which indicates that if that person were of another skin color she'd be dead. You can't call that shitting on the cops either per se, but it's shitting on police force as a whole by calling them inherently racist.

Specially when there's different officers in each case, different circumstances and many other factors. However some people just want to have a good chuckle and go straight for the white skin.

Since I don't keep up with the news from the US often, hasn't there been a single case of a black person using firearms and pointing at officers and surviving the encounter? If there hasn't been a single one I understand being all cynical. But if the precedent exists, I don't really get the downplaying and mockery of the situation.

There is plenty of real world data that shows that people of color are targeted by police an inordinate amount. Of course there are cases where black people with guns aren't shot up. But, statistically speaking, you are safer from any repercussions as a white person when committing the same crime. The outrage is pointed in the wrong direction, but it's at least understandable.

There is plenty of real world data that shows that people of color are targeted by police an inordinate amount. Of course there are cases where black people with guns aren't shot up. But, statistically speaking, you are safer from any repercussions as a white person when committing the same crime. The outrage is pointed in the wrong direction, but it's at least understandable.

yes, I know there's racial discrimination, but given the language it would seem that these same cops would shoot her otherwise, and that's slander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom