• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman in body armor shoots up neighborhood, police in high speed chase..taken alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

true, there's no cop shitting. Except on the part where people mention white armor, which indicates that if that person were of another skin color she'd be dead.

Yea. I don't know where this notion came from! There's been no standard set in America, let alone Florida for blacks being treated differently than whites when it comes to police and authorities. Ever.

In fact, I think blacks have it way too good.

Well, okay, I disagree. Not much else to say, tbh. I tend to think that when cops do things like this, it's a sign that maybe, just maybe, there are still good cops out there. Perhaps I was a bit taken back by the amount of snark that cops doing the right thing for a change managed to generate.

Doing the right thing with white perps is standard operating procedure. American police don't get applause when they haven't corrected the thing they were doing wrong in the first place.

No, I did not reduce this to the people throwing a tantrum over tickets. In fact, if you reread that, you will see I am saying the exact, precise, literal opposite.

The literal opposite would be to say that everyone in this thread is correct in being upset over the inconsistent policing in this country. Which you only just now conceded.

You said:

Way to feed the ultra conservative narrative that all of this is really about how people just don't like police because they once got a ticket or some shit.

As if the responses in this thread somehow justify that viewpoint.

Since I don't keep up with the news from the US often, hasn't there been a single case of a black person using firearms and pointing at officers and surviving the encounter? If there hasn't been a single one I understand being all cynical. But if the precedent exists, I don't really get the downplaying and mockery of the situation.

Are you really saying that if one black person survived an encounter with police, that means that we don't have a problem with police violence against minorities? Is this the opposite of no true Scottsman?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Doing the right thing with white perps is standard operating procedure. American police don't get applause when they haven't corrected the thing they were doing wrong in the first place.

The literal opposite would be to say that everyone in this thread is correct in being upset over the inconsistent policing in this country. Which you only just now conceded.

You said:

As if the responses in this thread somehow justify that viewpoint.

Sorry, but no. You misunderstanding me doesn't change what I said. My very first post said the same thing. Again, I'm not the stand-in for every guy who said "Guys, maybe the cops aren't so bad." You're so far off base with all of that. Suffice it to say, we are basically agreeing on the major points. I simply don't find treating every cop the same, regardless of their actual actions. I'm not saying you disagree with that, but my entire position is that. Nothing more.

Yea. I don't know where this notion came from! There's been no standard set in America, let alone Florida for blacks being treated differently than whites when it comes to police and authorities. Ever.

I'm saying that if you're implying that these same officers would have killed this woman if she wasn't white, you're using both prejudice and slander.

I'm obviously not ignoring the fact that there's racial discrimination, but that's shitting on these cops that seemingly were able to reduce someone equipped with a rifle without human life cost.

J10

Banned
I'm saying that if you're implying that these same officers would have killed this woman if she wasn't white, you're using both prejudice and slander.

I'm obviously not ignoring the fact that there's racial discrimination, but that's shitting on these cops that seemingly were able to reduce someone equipped with a rifle without human life cost.

You'd have to be a moron to assume people are commenting on the individual cops themselves. This point doesn't need to be made.

Derwind

true, there's no cop shitting. Except on the part where people mention white armor, which indicates that if that person were of another skin color she'd be dead. You can't call that shitting on the cops either per se, but it's shitting on police force as a whole by calling them inherently racist.

Specially when there's different officers in each case, different circumstances and many other factors. However some people just want to have a good chuckle and go straight for the white skin.

Since I don't keep up with the news from the US often, hasn't there been a single case of a black person using firearms and pointing at officers and surviving the encounter? If there hasn't been a single one I understand being all cynical. But if the precedent exists, I don't really get the downplaying and mockery of the situation.

The policy in place for the policing of visible minorities is not a benefit to them but an overwhelming detriment. Even while unarmed and compliant, they are met with overwhelming suspicion and aggression. This is very real.

Also, you realize it says a lot that if it takes one black person surviving an encounter with the police while armed to somehow make the multitudinous amount of other cases void.

Thats not being said, how these cops operate are not being critized, in fact its commendable that they reduce the cost of a human life in that encounter.

What people are reflecting on is the procedures that 'have' been used in similar cases with visible minorities and the disparity of the two.

If an officer is doing his/her job as they were trained, can we not criticize that training?

Siegcram

Well, okay, I disagree. Not much else to say, tbh. I tend to think that when cops do things like this, it's a sign that maybe, just maybe, there are still good cops out there. Perhaps I was a bit taken back by the amount of snark that cops doing the right thing for a change managed to generate.
Not sure what's there to disagree about, but okay.

true, there's no cop shitting. Except on the part where people mention white armor, which indicates that if that person were of another skin color she'd be dead. You can't call that shitting on the cops either per se, but it's shitting on police force as a whole by calling them inherently racist.

Specially when there's different officers in each case, different circumstances and many other factors. However some people just want to have a good chuckle and go straight for the white skin.
Well, those people have statistics and reality on their side.

I don't think you know what a precedent is. That this whole argument is laughable is something I shouldn't even have to tell you.

You'd have to be a moron to assume people are commenting on the individual cops themselves. This point doesn't need to be made.

then why are these so many references to "white armor"? That's a direct accusation to the officers that resolved this incident. So yes, the point needs to be made in order to have people explain why they downplay the officers actions in this case.

----

On a side note: As per usual some resort to personal attacks so i'm done with this thread. You're right and the bigger men. cheers.

J10

Banned
then why are these so many references to "white armor"? That's a direct accusation to the officers that resolved this incident. So yes, the point needs to be made in order to have people explain why they downplay the officers actions in this case.

We're merely highlighting the fact that white people generally get treated differently (better) than everybody else by police. Do you really need this spelled out?

We're merely highlighting the fact that white people generally get treated differently (better) than everybody else by police. Do you really need this spelled out?

Is there any actual factual proof of this that isn't cherry picking articles? Cause plenty of cases of white people also being gunned down by police too. Now any time a white person isn't shot, it's a case of racism?

wildfire

Banned

How old are you? Why don't you understand yet how percentages work?

Anyway, DC Sniper and prodigy were both taken alive

Continue happily living with that nearsightedness.

J10

Banned
Is there any actual factual proof of this that isn't cherry picking articles? Cause plenty of cases of white people also being gunned down by police too. Now any time a white person isn't shot, it's a case of racism?

Yes. There is proof that America, in general, treats black people like shit, and that the police are complicit in that process.

No, not every case of a police shooting a black person is racism. No one is saying that. Take a gander at the evidence and try to put together what is actually being said. Try to guess why we resort to jokes and sarcasm about white armor and race wars as a coping mechanism.

Some ppl just want this to be some sort of misconception/myth and attack ppl who say it.

Yes. There is proof that America, in general, treats black people like shit, and that the police are complicit in that process.

No, not every case of a police shooting a black person is racism. No one is saying that. Take a gander at the evidence and try to put together what is actually being said. Try to guess why we resort to jokes and sarcasm about white armor and race wars as a coping mechanism.

I understand and agree with that thread, seen it before, but I'm talking about specifically shoot or no shoot situations as described in this OP, the whole "white armor" concept protecting people in gun situations.

J10

Banned
I understand and agree with that thread, seen it before, but I'm talking about specifically shoot or no shoot situations as described in this OP, the whole "white armor" concept protecting people in gun situations.

Question: after reading that thread, do you think a leap in logic is being made when we suggest that a black person would be dead in the same situation as the OP? Or are you content to to bury your head in the sand after I tell you there are no reliable statistics about race trends in police shootings?

I was feeling a little down just now..thanks for the laugh!

The more stories you read about whites with guns apprehended or talked down without fatalities (Cliven Bundy) and blacks (with or without guns) shot almost immediately after the cops get to the scene, it's hard not to form bitter conclusions. It's hard not to assume that the decency, bravery and professionalism from police in this instance is unlikely to have occurred with a black suspect, hence the cynical commentary. Is it fair to American cops? Perhaps not. But neither are their discriminatory and exceptionally damaging police practices. (shrugs)

The more stories you read about whites with guns apprehended or talked down without fatalities (Cliven Bundy) and blacks (with or without guns) shot almost immediately after the cops get to the scene, it's hard not to form bitter conclusions. It's hard not to assume that the decency, bravery and professionalism from police in this instance is unlikely to have occurred with a black suspect, hence the cynical commentary. Is it fair to American cops? Perhaps not. But neither are their discriminatory and exceptionally damaging police practices. (shrugs)

Well said. Is this so hard to understand?

RDreamer

Statistics say that cops overestimate age of black people, they also overestimate threat level when it comes to black people, and black teens are 21 times more likely to be shot by a cop. There's no leap of logic going on.

No one can specifically say yes if this woman was black, or especially a black male, she would definitely be shot now. Statistics say, though, that there's a much much greater chance of that, though.

Verelios

My god, you can't actually be arguing this point.

You don't know what slander means.

Siegcram

yeah I do, thanks for worrying though. Same to the one who said that I don't know what precedent means, maybe he thought I was saying it in the legal terminology.
To what meaning of "precedent" were you referring to in your nonsensical argument then? I'm genuinely curious.

Tawpgun

She was prolly wearing the baseball cap in the front indicating she is an all american baseball loving gun owner.

Who knows what woulda happened if it was backwards or to the side

The Race War 2014 will have more casualties than the Civil War, why do you people feel the need to disrupt this Once Great Nation™ with your minor issues!? We have more important issues to worry about like ISIS, transethnic rights, Net Neutrality?! We'll get to your issues at a later time, stop being so impatient!

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
It is the very definition of tone policing. Which is a shitty thing to do, in case you were living under a rock.

Literally ITT - #NotAllWhites

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just wanted to quote this since it's such an excellent response. Much more eloquently stated than what I was going to say ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom