• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Ladekabel

It's the
Gallic Sword, you get it once you have at least 5 Stones and then go to the shop that you find from breaking a block which is underneath the block bridge in the village.

Where can I get these stones? I have an armor which says that hearts fly towards me. Thanks to my Persona knowledge I know that that is charme.

Is that the
Old Castle to the right? And the metal room to the left once you're at the bottom?
I'm pretty sure that I've been there several times but there was nothing but emptiness. Do you have to die in between to do a reset?

Yes. In the room
should be a treasure chest where you get the legendary sword the first and a bunch of money everytime you go there again. After you went back to the title screen and continued again.

Slaythe

Two questions :

- Is there any way to remain human ? Like a post game cheat code or whatever ? Simply for aesthetics reasons.

- ps4 or switch ? I can't decide and I keep going back and forth and it's driving me mad. (not enough money for both sadly)

Seijuro

Never played the original game, but the art and graphics in this game just looks so nice I had to buy it.

How long does one playthrough last?

ggx2ac

Where can I get these stones? I have an armor which says that hearts fly towards me. Thanks to my Persona knowledge I know that that is charme.

Go to YouTube searching for the
unknown areas
. That's the name that they are in.

Or go through the last few pages where i listed the
unknown area
locations.

Two questions :

- Is there any way to remain human ? Like a post game cheat code or whatever ? Simply for aesthetics reasons.

- ps4 or switch ? I can't decide and I keep going back and forth and it's driving me mad. (not enough money for both sadly)

You'll get to
keep human form when you finish the game. That was never the case with the original game.

There's no difference between versions. Pick your preference.

Two questions :

Switch all the way. The games are identical except Switch has the obvious benefit of being portable as well.

Fredrik

Yes. In the room
should be a treasure chest where you get the legendary sword the first and a bunch of money everytime you go there again. After you went back to the title screen and continued again.
Aha, thanks a lot! :)

Slaythe

Heh...

I haven't played my switch much lately (still haven't beaten Zelda), I wouldn't mind getting it for it but when I'm at home i usually play PC or ps4.

How big is the game ? Cause i don't have an sd card for switch and don't intend to replace it any time soon.

bumpkin

It breaks blocks, there would have been blocks right in front of you that you needed to hit to get out of the building.

After that,
go to the beach as Piranha man, you'll know what to do once you get there.
I went
into a door/area I couldn't reach before underwater in the beach, but when I found the altar for changing forms, I decided to switch to the mouse so I could go explore some areas I couldn't reach before but didn't check out prior to being turned into a piranha. I went through the volcanic area (opposite the desert), got to the end, and the door on the house took me into an underwater room that I can't do anything in; I can't jump over a wall to my left and the wall on the right isn't breakable.
Am I fucked?

I haven't been able to get to the end of the underground without dying, and a secret area I got to near some blue snakes (in the underground) seems impossible. I ended up at a platforming segment where I'm jumping from single block to single block, and ultimately reached a ceiling platform that looked cling able as the mouse, but I didn't jump high enough (is it even possible to reach it?) to grab hold.

Vitet

I went
into a door/area I couldn't reach before underwater in the beach, but when I found the altar for changing forms, I decided to switch to the mouse so I could go explore some areas I couldn't reach before but didn't check out prior to being turned into a piranha. I went through the volcanic area (opposite the desert), got to the end, and the door on the house took me into an underwater room that I can't do anything in; I can't jump over a wall to my left and the wall on the right isn't breakable.
Am I fucked?

I haven't been able to get to the end of the underground without dying, and a secret area I got to near some blue snakes (in the underground) seems impossible. I ended up at a platforming segment where I'm jumping from single block to single block, and ultimately reached a ceiling platform that looked cling able as the mouse, but I didn't jump high enough (is it even possible to reach it?) to grab hold.

The first area you mention: if there is water you will need another transformation. And the second one, if you can't reach it's because you also have the wrong animal.

Tsunamo

How long does it take to finish the game anyway?
I really love the art and gameplay but I just worry that it won't last long... ;_;
Took me about 6-7 hours to finish it and about 8 hours to 100% it. It's a really great length for a handheld title that was made in 1989 originally.
Heh...

I haven't played my switch much lately (still haven't beaten Zelda), I wouldn't mind getting it for it but when I'm at home i usually play PC or ps4.

How big is the game ? Cause i don't have an sd card for switch and don't intend to replace it any time soon.
900mb roughly. Haven't checked the specific size though.

M2 worked on a bunch of Virtual Console emulators for Wii, including Genesis/Mega Drive.

Yup. The Monster World Collection is awesome, I love it a lot. But there's no denying Wii VC is a true glorious haven for any Wonder Boy fan.

We got pretty much everything on there, even many of the various different versions of same games, a lot of love was shown to franchise fans! It was wonderful (hurhur).

bumpkin

The first area you mention: if there is water you will need another transformation. And the second one, if you can't reach it's because you also have the wrong animal.
I have the
piranha transformation
, the thing is, I reached a transformation altar and switched to
a mouse
to go back and explore some previous areas. I think there was an altar
above the room I can't reach now (b/c of the water)
, but I'm not sure. Is there an altar anywhere else in the world?

Skeletos311

1st Wonder Boy on Normal. I've also been playing the Unknown stuff on this file after beating it.

2nd Wonder Girl on Easy. Beat it around 2:15 but played around a little bit after beating it.

3rd Wonder Girl on Normal continued from Master System game through a password. I played like half of it on MS. You can enter a password on the Boy or Girl selection screen and you can still choose a difficulty and pick girl even if there was no girl on MS. The main differences that make the MS version harder are potion drop rates and not being able to buy armor in different forms. You can't buy a sword as a Lizard-Man on MS, you can't buy the bird armor as a mouse, etc.

C94GVcBXoAAQma0.jpg:med

Vitet

I have the
piranha transformation
a mouse

The house in the village where you go down to the beach,
break the left block there

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have the
piranha transformation
a mouse
Yes,
in the town. Open the door on the bottom right in this pic and break the block.

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/pictures/WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-B019.jpg

Fredrik

This game looks and performs soooo fucking beautiful on the Switch.

I'm kind of in awe.
Yeah it's like the prettiest 2D game I've ever seen! And it's definitely not a 7 hour game for me, I often just stop and look at the art instead of playing lol, it's sooo good. I love the look of the big grassy field area, the devs must be Amiga 500 Shadow of the Beast fans, it's very similar in style with the crazy parallax scrolling and mountains.

Neff

I wasn't gonna buy this on Switch but I'm glad I did. The scanline effect in 'retro' mode + 60fps + the Switch's amazing screen results in this game looking the best it's ever looked. I now no longer need to play the PC Engine version. It even has gamma correction. Bravo, Lizardcube.

Tyeforce

I just got Hawk-Man a bit ago, and I'm so lost! I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go. I did find a
floating locked door surrounded by breakable blocks in the sky to the left of the village, and I unlocked it but...it's just an empty room.
I'm sure there's a secret I'm missing, but I have no idea what. That's probably not even where I'm supposed to be going, lol, but I've searched around the world and can't figure it out. I did go back to
the castle and got the Legendary Sword
, but that seems to be all that was there.

Psxphile

Oh yeah, infinite money trick. I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it bears repeating: once you get Hawk-man form you can just fly to the right of the Village and enter the small hut next to the wall for money bags. Return to title, reload and repeat the process for more cash to buy those expensive armor upgrades. Equip the Lucky Sword to double your take.

I just got Hawk-Man a bit ago, and I'm so lost! I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go. I did find a
floating locked door surrounded by breakable blocks in the sky to the left of the village, and I unlocked it but...it's just an empty room.
I'm sure there's a secret I'm missing, but I have no idea what. That's probably not even where I'm supposed to be going, lol, but I've searched around the world and can't figure it out. I did go back to
the castle and got the Legendary Sword
, but that seems to be all that was there.

That empty room is the entrance to the final area, but you need the Magical Saber.

Tyeforce

Oh yeah, infinite money trick. I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it bears repeating: once you get Hawk-man form you can just fly to the right of the Village and enter the small hut next to the wall for money bags. Return to title, reload and repeat the process for more cash to buy those expensive armor upgrades. Equip the Lucky Sword to double your take.

That empty room is the entrance to the final area, but you need the Magical Saber.
Ah, okay, thanks. Well...where am I supposed to go now then? I'm so lost, lol.

Psxphile

Magical Saber = turn Star wall tiles into blocks
Lucky Sword = 2x money dropped from enemies
Tasmanian Sword = instant form switching

Dragon Mail = protect from lava damage
Prince Armor = increase frequency of hearts dropped from enemies
Hades Armor = ???

'For Mortals Only', huh...

Ah, okay, thanks. Well...where am I supposed to go now then? I'm so lost, lol.

Remember that pond in the Village you had to break blocks with Lion-man to drop into? Go back but with Mouse-man, and when you get to the wells use the overhead Mouse blocks to get into the far left well. From there just keep going until you can break that single block right at the end to uncover the door to the chest with the Magical Saber.

Tyeforce

Remember that pond in the Village you had to break blocks with Lion-man to drop into? Go back but with Mouse-man, and when you get to the wells use the overhead Mouse blocks to get into the far left well. From there just keep going until you can break that single block right at the end to uncover the door to the chest with the Magical Saber.
But how can I get into that area as Mouse-Man...? I need Lion-Man to break the blocks below me to get to that area.

Psxphile

I think hades armour revives you when you die.

So it acts as a 4th Life Potion? Nice. Only one revival per continue, right? Surely there's a limit...

What did they end up replacing the Thunder Sword with now that it's a passive ability?

But how can I get into that area as Mouse-Man...? I need Lion-Man to break the blocks below me to get to that area.
You never wondered why the platform up and to the right of those blocks were Mouse blocks?

Jazzem

I wasn't gonna buy this on Switch but I'm glad I did. The scanline effect in 'retro' mode + 60fps + the Switch's amazing screen results in this game looking the best it's ever looked. I now no longer need to play the PC Engine version. It even has gamma correction. Bravo, Lizardcube.

I was wondering about that, I assume that makes the colours more 'accurate'?

Psxphile

I did, but I never saw any way to get Mouse-Man there, so I figured something would change later as I progress through the game?

Once you got the Thunder Ring, you have access to a transformation room in The Village. Enter the building with the shop on top and smash the floating block.

Later, when you find the Tasmanian Sword you can transform at will by pressing UP + Attack when jumping.

Tyeforce

Once you got the Thunder Ring, you have access to a transformation room in The Village. Enter the building with the shop on top and smash the floating block.

Later, when you find the Tasmanian Sword you can transform at will by pressing UP + Attack when jumping.
I already know the former, but that transformation room won't help me here, will it? 'Cause the breakable blocks respawn when you leave the area, so breaking them as Lion-Man and going to that room to change into Mouse-Man shouldn't work?

I'm just confused that I'm apparently not supposed to be using Hawk-Man right now I guess? Even though I just got him? That goes against how the game progression has been up until now, you would assume that you're supposed to use Hawk-Man to progress further now that you have access to him...

Psxphile

I already know the former, but that transformation room won't help me here, will it? 'Cause the breakable blocks respawn when you leave the area, so breaking them as Lion-Man and going to that room to change into Mouse-Man shouldn't work?
You don't NEED Lion-man to break the blocks, anyone with a sword can once you have the Thunder Ring. Position Mouse-man on the blocks to aim its sword down when you attack to break the blocks.

I'm just confused that I'm apparently not supposed to be using Hawk-Man right now I guess? Even though I just got him? That goes against how the game progression has been up until now, you would assume that you're supposed to use Hawk-Man to progress further now that you have access to him...

Well, you were supposed to have the Magical Saber already so you could continue through that room, which can only be reached by Hawk-man. But you need to be Mouse-man to reach the Saber. Yeah, the game intends for you to switch forms a few times to complete certain objectives.

ggx2ac

You didn't pick the place that would give you the most gold.

Old Castle, at the Meka Dragon's boss room. With the lucky sword that treasure chest gives 4000 gold.

Vitet

Look at the blocks carefully. You can destroy them as Mouse-man too.

Neff

I was wondering about that, I assume that makes the colours more 'accurate'?

It adjusts the contrast, which is useful because scanlines darken the screen due to being literal strips of black laid over the game's visuals. Not all games with scanline options have a gamma adjust, even some M2 (the kings) ports are missing it.

There's several scanline/gamma settings in this game enabling the player to find a sweet match, and it looks fantastic.

Tyeforce

You don't NEED Lion-man to break the blocks, anyone with a sword can once you have the Thunder Ring. Position Mouse-man on the blocks to aim its sword down when you attack to break the blocks.

Look at the blocks carefully. You can destroy them as Mouse-man too.
Oh, wow... My mind completely blanked on those checkered blocks, lol. Thanks for pointing that out! XD

Psxphile

You didn't pick the place that would give you the most gold.

Old Castle, at the Meka Dragon's boss room. With the lucky sword that treasure chest gives 4000 gold.

Didn't know about that. Good thing too, I just found the room in the tower with the Crystal equipment. Outdated now but I still feel the need to add them to my inventory.

After about five and half hours, I finished my first play through. Missed out on a few items, but I'm going to play through the game again later and aim to collect all of the weapons/armour and find any secret rooms that I missed. This was the first time that I've played any Wonder Boy game, and it was pretty enjoyable. I absolutely loved the art style and music! Even though I never played the original, it was still fun to flip between retro and modern from time to time, just to see what a certain scene/setting looked like originally, and how they updated it for the remaster.

There were a lot of moments where I had no idea where to go next, but I eventually figured them out on my own through tons of trial and error backtracking. Any frustrations I had with the enemies were kind of to be expected seeing as what era the game is from. I really took advantage of the range and multiple hits of the boomerang weapon with the minor enemies. Especially near the end when I didn't want to get too close and risk losing any of my hearts. Only thing that really bothered me was how getting hit creates a window of being immobilized, which typically lead to the dragons pushing me across the screen for 10 seconds until they restarted their path.

Anyway, I'm glad that I decided to pick this up on the Switch. I can see myself pulling it out to play during long trips, or when I want to play something casually while watching TV.

Vitet

If you complete the game at 100%, you also unlock
the secret doors in the village to access the boss fights. The first one is at the room with the breakable block that opens a change animal room. The hidden door to the first boss it's left of the door you enter. There are more secret boss doors across the village

ggx2ac

If you complete the game at 100%, you also unlock
the secret doors in the village to access the boss fights. The first one is at the room with the breakable block that opens a change animal room. The hidden door to the first boss it's left of the door you enter. There are more secret boss doors across the village

It's more to do with
getting all 6 stones like how you had to get 99 of them in the original specifically​, so that people understand the requirement.

Marvie_3

Banned
This game is absolutely gorgeous. Art style and animation are so good. Haven't gotten that far into the game yet but it's really fun so far. :D

ggx2ac

I'm going to see how fast I can try to finish the game in hard mode.

Edit: I lost too many times in the desert. Hard mode is definitely a good challenge since enemies take more hits and you have the timer from Wonder Boy in Monster Land that keeps decreasing your health over time.

But I lost too much so I don't think I can beat hard mode fast, yet.

Top Bottom