• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman now tracking to have opening on par with other DCEU movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given it's current momentum $450m (or something in that region) would be fucking terrible. Im thinking that the lowest bar, worldwide, that the film needs to get over is $550/600m. Anything under that and the studio wouldn't be at all happy.
Nah man, I think WB would be happy with 500+

Nah man, I think WB would be happy with 500+

If they get a $115M opening weekend, that number won't cut it. Just hitting $500M would be a collapse. If the movie opens comparable to Man of Steel, Man of Steel should be the target because this movie should review better, carry better word of mouth, and therefore have better legs.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If they get a $115M opening weekend, that number won't cut it. Just hitting $500M would be a collapse. If the movie opens comparable to Man of Steel, Man of Steel should be the target because this movie should review better, carry better word of mouth, and therefore have better legs.

It's roughly projected to do 300m Dom. If it hits that, it's very unlikely to bottom out at 500m ww

Obviously, if the movie opens with Man of Steel numbers in the US and does as well internationally then yeah, 450 is pretty much impossible. What I meant is that in the grand scheme of things, removed from the recent tracking, for a "new" franchise that's not Batman and Superman and doesn't benefit from the Marvel brand, 450 is the lowest number they need to hit in my mind in order to garantee a sequel. The Trek movies have never crossed the 500 million bar but they keep getting made. So all I'm saying is... thingsarelookingprettygood.gif

Slaythe

If the overall reception is positive, and they break even or make profit, I assure you they will make a sequel.

Anything to keep the head out the water after suicide squad.

There are movies not for everyone like Man of Steel, and then there are insults turned into film like SS.
If they can get something everybody agrees on, they'll take it.

If the overall reception is positive, and they break even or make profit, I assure you they will make a sequel.

Anything to keep the head out the water after suicide squad.

There are movies not for everyone like Man of Steel, and then there are insults turned into film like SS.
If they can get something everybody agrees on, they'll take it.
Think they're already talking about #2 on the press tour.

I mean they're making a Squad 2 and the only reason we didn't get MoS2 yet is because they went all in on making Justice League a thing

Platy

Wonder Woman is not that popular....

Wonder Woman weeps the floor with Guardians of the Galaxy or Doctor Strange's popularity =P

Wonder Woman weeps the floor with Guardians of the Galaxy or Doctor Strange's popularity =P

Because Guardians and Doctor Strange were these huge pop culture phenomenons before their first installments, right?

Platy

Because Guardians and Doctor Strange were these huge pop culture phenomenons before their first installments, right?

That is EXACTLY my point.

Even people who say she is not popular overseas is probably ignoring that she is STILL way more popular than those stuff that marvel printed money

Ashhong

Obviously, if the movie opens with Man of Steel numbers in the US and does as well internationally then yeah, 450 is pretty much impossible. What I meant is that in the grand scheme of things, removed from the recent tracking, for a "new" franchise that's not Batman and Superman and doesn't benefit from the Marvel brand, 450 is the lowest number they need to hit in my mind in order to garantee a sequel. The Trek movies have never crossed the 500 million bar but they keep getting made. So all I'm saying is... thingsarelookingprettygood.gif

None of the trek movies have crossed 500 WW???

Jesus. I think what that tells me the most is that these recent blockbusters by Disney have really skewed the perception of what a movie is expected to make

Ashhong

The Trek movies keep happening because Paramount doesn't have much in the way of franchises too

True, but still. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but how many "blockbusters" not part of the MCU or Star Wars franchises really make billion dollars? It can't be that many

True, but still. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but how many "blockbusters" not part of the MCU or Star Wars franchises really make billion dollars? It can't be that many

Potter
Fast & Furious
LOTR
Transformers
I can't really think of any others

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wait so this is the old thread but they just changed the title? That's just confusing, should have been a new thread

She's better known then either, I would say she's not as popular as GOTG became though (largely because she wasn't Batman or Superman so for decades WB didn't care), and also because of the rights issue). She could become very popular again because of the film though, hopefully.

People want a good female superhero movie. And wonder woman is known in Europe. More than iron man before his movie. If this is good, it should do good.

WW vs Iron Man is like 1/100 know her vs 0/100

But as said many times, it don't matter at all. Not even in the slightest.

IHaveIce

Banned
If WW opens to the numbers that are projected that would be a success in my book.
I also think it will be the best received DCEU movie ( which isn't that hard)

tdkr-bane-speech.gif

Hell, Batman v Superman is a Man of Steel sequel in every way but name so I'd argue we already got MoS 2.

This. The EE especially feels like a MoS sequel with a couple Batman scenes thrown in. I think that's why the hard-edged Bats bothers people so much, there's not enough set-up of his past and present state of mind for most viewers to justify how angry he is.

I mean, I let it slide because I get what Snyder was going for and I don't want an extra 30 minutes of set-up in the film. But I understand the frustration.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hope that Wonder Woman is a huge hit for three reasons:

1) I want it to help break down the barriers between "female-led superhero movie" and the perceived "mainstream." Hopefully between this and Captain Marvel, we'll rarely have to hear the lame of excuse of "people won't go see it" ever again.

2) I want the DCEU to be good. I want it to be great and considered a "brand" in the same way that the Marvel Studios logo alone sells movies. Competition is good and these are just great characters that deserve to be in good movies.

3) Deep down, I hope Marvel Studios sees the success of Wonder Woman and decides to go ahead with a low budget Black Widow movie. I don't care how blatant it would look. I want it.

EDIT: I apparently forgot the "female" in "female-led." Oops.

Gleethor

I hope that Wonder Woman is a huge hit for three reasons:

1) I want it to help break down the barriers between "-led superhero movie" and the perceived "mainstream." Hopefully between this and Captain Marvel, we'll rarely have to hear the lame of excuse of "people won't go see it" ever again.

2) I want the DCEU to be good. I want it to be great and considered a "brand" in the same way that the Marvel Studios logo alone sells movies. Competition is good and these are just great characters that deserve to be in good movies.

3) Deep down, I hope Marvel Studios sees the success of Wonder Woman and decides to go ahead with a low budget Black Widow movie. I don't care how blatant it would look. I want it.
That about sums it up. If the movie is good (sounds like it is) and it does well financially, then it's good news for fans, DC, Marvel, and films in general.

Smoolio

In Australia I have my mum pleading to not go without her, and heard the same situation from a friend. That's a first for me, I'm thinking if the movie has strong word of mouth it will have legs.

Wanna see this movie with my mom. She remembers watching the cartoon when she immigrated to the states so it would be cool to let her see this in theaters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom