• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Work clothes for work (in an office) in hot weather

I moved recently to an area that gets a lot hotter than where I came from, and I have a roughly half hour commute on a public train that gets really hot even when the weather outside in milder.

I bought a bunch of work clothes before the move, but they were basically fit for my old job, which was more formal. All of my work-appropriate clothes are dry-clean only, and I don't wear suits but they're definitely more formal pants.

I want to get some new clothes, and least pants, for two reasons:

1) I look kind of goofy in my office because everyone else is dressed less formally. I'm a data analyst and I dress closer to our salespeople who are out interacting with clients than to everyone else on my team.

2) I used to wear my clothes about three times before having them dry-cleaned, and that's definitely not going to fly any more. I'm sweating so much (it was over 90 Fahrenheit on the way home today and summer hasn't even properly started) that I'm pretty hesitant to wear clothes even twice before cleaning them. And I've always worn an undershirt, but now I'm kind of split, wearing one might get me another wear out of my shirts but going without would make the ride and walk home a lot more comfortable.

Clothes aren't really something I ever think about. What kind of casual office clothes can I get that are work appropriate, machine washable, and will be cool in the summer?

Edit: Just noticed "work clothes for work" in the title, dammit.

tc farks

Linen. You can find plenty of styles that are good for work. I run hot and nothing keeps me as comfortable during the summer months.

TaterTots

Banned
I mostly wear khakis and button down shirts and I roll the sleeves up. I sweat from walking from my parking space to my desk lol. I cool off, but yea its terrible. Feel ya OP.

eosos

Banned
Roll sleeves.. that's all Ive got. Commuting when its real hot fucking sucks. Especially on the train.

You could always commute casual and change at work.

I could save that as a last resort, seems like a pain in the ass though. Besides having to get to work earlier and changing in the bathroom while people take a shit a foot away, it seems like it'd be hard to get clothes to work without them getting wrinkled.

I wear jeans and under armor polos.

No jeans allowed except on casual Fridays unfortunately.

Mission

What's everybody else where? When in Rome...

But other than that I'd echo the Under Armour or similar Polos. I have some Nike ones I wear and just bought a Tommy Hilfiger polo at Costco. My office is usually super hot, like 78 degrees, because they let the boilers keep going until it's full on summer, and they don't counter it with the air conditioner enough where I am. I have to wear short sleeves in winter and long shirts in summer when they put the air conditioning on full.

Linen shirts and breathable pants are good. I have some pants that look like any other grey pants but they're super breathable and great for hot weather. I think they were from Uniqlo.

Quick

Banned
Definitely get some linen in your wardrobe, specifically a linen suit.

Look into moisture wicking and/or breathable undershirts. Uniqlo might be a good place to check, with their AIRism undershirts.

Is your dress code strict? You could check with HR on specifics on the rule. Maybe they'll let you dress down a little?

Have you considered using powder to help with the sweating? Grab a small container of baby powder and give it a shot.

Linen shirts and breathable pants are good. I have some pants that look like any other grey pants but they're super breathable and great for hot weather. I think they were from Uniqlo.

I've never bought clothes at Uniqlo but I've heard that they fit into the "cheap/ low quality/ trendy" category as H&M. My wife said she bought clothes there and liked them but they fell apart after a few months.

Fritz

I also wanted to recommend uniqlo. They have lots of basic casual styles and I believe since it get's crazy hot and humid in Tokyo in summer they really have that in mind with their summer collections.

I think they are a few steps above h&m when it comes to quality. Lot's of high tech fabrics too. And their style is much more grown up and muted. Very Japanese. A mix between american staples like button downs and chinos and Japanese styles. Nothing outside the themed t-shirts is as gaudi as H&M there.

I also wanted to recommend uniqlo. They have lots of basic casual styles and I believe since it get's crazy hot and humid in Tokyo in summer they really have that in mind with their summer collections.

I think they are a few steps above h&m when it comes to quality. Lot's of high tech fabrics too. And their style is much more grown up and muted. Very Japanese. A mix between american staples like button downs and chinos and Japanese styles. Nothing outside the themed t-shirts is as gaudi as H&M there.

They're always too slim for my fat frame :(

TrounceX

I just moved to TX from MN and have to dress formally. It's ungodly hot here already compared to where I'm from, so my body can't handle it and I end up sweating a lot. Never had an issue before this. I ended up buying some of those sweatproof undershirts. Holy shit do they work well. Total life saver.

hqdefault.jpg

I've never bought clothes at Uniqlo but I've heard that they fit into the "cheap/ low quality/ trendy" category as H&M. My wife said she bought clothes there and liked them but they fell apart after a few months.

Yeah, I expect to get about 2 years max out of Uniqlo stuff. You can definitely get better quality but for the price it's pretty good.

Their undershirts and stuff are the best, though. Airism in the summer and heattech in the winter. It's really good and cheap.

Yeah, I expect to get about 2 years max out of Uniqlo stuff. You can definitely get better quality but for the price it's pretty good.

Their undershirts and stuff are the best, though. Airism in the summer and heattech in the winter. It's really good and cheap.

2 years is pretty good with how fast stuff is changing. The polos I just bought are much softer/thinner than what I bought years ago and are far more comfortable. I'm okay trading some longevity for improved material.

I will say the uniqlo warning on sizes is important. I wear a small in the states and a uniqlo medium fits about perfectly on my frame. Pay attention to the siE charts. I may try out one of their polos on the advice of this thread.

SJRB

Gold Member
Linen is the best option but it wrinkles extremely fast making it look silly more than it makes you look good. Good quality linen is expensive.

My suggestion is chinos and a polo. Also pay attention to your shoes, make sure they're good and give your feet the ability to breathe [i.e. not too tight and all that].

If all else fails, just bring a clean shirt along so you can change halfway through the day.

Jake.

i live in a city where it regulary hits 44c in summer.

i wear cotton chinos and a tucked in OCBD with the sleeves rolled up. thankfully i don't have to wear a suit/tie like many of my colleagues.

Well time to get slim. Best of both worlds, you can wear wbat you want and also sweat way way way less.

Working on it. I'm down 5.6kg so far!

Linen is the best option but it wrinkles extremely fast making it look silly more than it makes you look good. Good quality linen is expensive.

My suggestion is chinos and a polo. Also pay attention to your shoes, make sure they're good and give your feet the ability to breathe [i.e. not too tight and all that].

If all else fails, just bring a clean shirt along so you can change halfway through the day.

Yes! I need a portable steam iron to do a quick wrinkle release midway through the day.

TBiddy

Get some light shirts. Long sleeve of course, and then roll the sleeves up. Don't buy short sleeve. Nothing screams "I don't know a thing about clothing" like short sleeve button ups. Especially if your office requires some sort of formal clothing to be worn.

Aside from that, get the obligatory chino pants. Are you allowed to wear chino shorts, or are those out of the question?

Polos and khakis. You can still do button up shirts, too. Just roll them up. Makes you look like you were working hard on something.

Good work, fella.
Thanks! Dat keto

Get some light shirts. Long sleeve of course, and then roll the sleeves up. Don't buy short sleeve. Nothing screams "I don't know a thing about clothing" like short sleeve button ups. Especially if your office requires some sort of formal clothing to be worn.

Aside from that, get the obligatory chino pants. Are you allowed to wear chino shorts, or are those out of the question?

100% right. I had a closet with a bunch of them before refreshing my whole wardrobe.

Meciu

Shorts with polo/t-shirt/oxford short/long sleeve shirt.Thankfully, I don't need to wear anything formal.

giga

+1 to linen shirts. I was at the zoo in sweltering 90 degree weather and was fine while my friends were burning up in their cotton tops. Linen is not only more breathable but dries much faster too if you're sweating.

For pants, I'd recommend the Outlier Futureworks.

They're light, breathable, have a 2-way stretch (horizontal), a crotch gusset to help with movement, and are also a bit water repellant.

205-OUTLIER-Futureworks-I.jpg

This is true, but he said his office isn't formal so I think it'll be fine.

Esiquio

Don't worry about looking goofy because you're dressing up. Dress for the job you want, not the one you have. It's worked for me, people notice even if they don't say anything at the time.

Jacknapes

It's handy where i work, there isn't a dress code as such*. So most people come in wearing shorts over the summer.

*Still has to be appropriate, can't wear anything that will cause offense.

Preezy

I just wear a shorter skirt and a tank top. Sure the guys are always looking at my ample chest, but I don't mind the attention hehe xx

Said no person ever

Under Armour golf pants. They're made out of polyester, dry fit and keep you cool during hot weather.

They have a variety of different colors. I live in FL by the way.

Flavius

Linen. You can find plenty of styles that are good for work. I run hot and nothing keeps me as comfortable during the summer months.

Boom. I live and work in Central Florida, and it is already disgusting here from 11-ish through the afternoon. Linen trousers and the thin, washed cotton polos are my "go to" wardrobe items.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wifebeater, flip-flops and jorts. The jorts really bring the ensemble together as business casual.

Does anyone have any recommendations of stores to shop for linen pants/thin jeans that wont break the bank? I see a few suggestions for Uniqlo, but there are no stores in Georgia that I can go to. I'm kinda in a transitional weight and plan to lose more this year. So, I really don't want to go out and buy extremely expensive stuff only to have it not fit in 6 months. For reference, I'm not usually a fashion person. So, my current work wardrobe is mostly made up of Levi's jeans purchased from JC Penney on sale and Nike Dry Fit polo shirts with my company logo on them that I bought from work.

I should also mention that I have a wide body frame. I fluctuate between M and L shirts depending on how loose the arm holes are. I also can't wear skinny jeans because I have large calf and quad muscles. So, trendy tight-fitting styles don't work for me either.

Top Bottom