• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/05: Semi-finals |OT| Uruguay vs Netherlands | Germany vs. Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

I don't trust Paul on non german games

(unless he picks spain for final, then I'll say he is a true prophet :D )

Boozeroony

Steeven said:
Oh man this is comedy gold :lol. You assume that minor fouls will injure people, while minor fouls only are pulling someones shirt so he can't run away and stuff like that. Minor fouls isn;t kicking anckles and shit. You know that a referee will present a yellow card if a player messes up a beautiful counter attack with a minor foul, or that someone who makes many gets one? I agree that Van Bommel has been lucky so far, but he plays the game another way because he doesn't have the technique of a Xavi or Iniesta. Can't really blame him.

Let's be real here. Spain can play the best and most beautiful football in the world at this moment. All of their players are individually better, or well, almost all of them than the Dutch players. Technique wise they own every team out there. It's like Barcelona. Barcelona wins against almost everyone who tries to play the same game: attacking, attractive football. It's the same with the national team of Spain. As the opponent you can be naive and walk into their trap, because playing their game is losing it with 5-0. Or you can do as Inter Milan did against Barcelona: dig in and finish them with counter football. I'm not a fan of it, not by far, but it's better than being humiliated with 5-0. Think like the coach of the teams for a second. That's what you need to understand. But somehow you think I advocate that kind of play, while you just don't understand the game at all.

You know shit about the Dutch so don't act like you do. And for sure you know shit about me. I miss the Dutch team of 1998. I like attractive football. I don't really care if they win the cup Sunday. I'm getting sick of this 'orange fever' in the country too, can't really get away from it. But speaking for the other Dutchies: they want that cup man, no matter if Van Bommel kicks three Spanish players in the face, they want it. So call me a poor representative, while I leave you in your bigotry and ignorance.

Van Bommel and De Jong need stick close to the spanish midfielders and this will possibly result in some minor fouls. I do not advocate these fouls, I just advocate the elimination of their incredible passing game. The Dutch can sabotage their game without making too much fouls, I'm sure.

If we can do so and hold our line, our attackers can hurt Spain badly. I have no idea where it will go.

Xater

On N24 they just showed a poll that showed which player the Germans think was best.

39% Schweintsteiger
29% Müller
6% Klose

Don't remember the others. I think Özil was in 6th place.

I have to agree with this. Schweinsteiger was incredible this tournament.

Steeven

Boozeroony said:
Van Bommel and De Jong need stick close to the spanish midfielders and this will possibly result in some minor fouls. I do not advocate these fouls, I just advocate the elimination of their incredible passing game. The Dutch can sabotage their game without making too much fouls, I'm sure.

If we can do so and hold our line, our attackers can hurt Spain badly. I have no idea where it will go.

That's the most exciting thing about this match. Will the Dutch team show they can play great football, like against Hungary before this tournament, or will they fall back? Will the Spanish backs be overrun or will Spain dominate on the half of Holland. I don't think we have seen the best of this Dutch team yet, I really hope we get to see it Sunday. I hope van Marwijk starts with Elia and Robben, but as he said; Kuyt is the first one he chooses in the starting lineup on the team every match.

Boozeroony

Xater said:
On N24 they just showed a poll that showed which player the Germans think was best.

39% Schweintsteiger
29% Müller
6% Klose

Don't remember the others. I think Özil was in 6th place.

I have to agree with this. Schweinsteiger was incredible this tournament.

Özil was great in the group stage, but he kind of lost his magic in the knock-out stage. Schweinsteiger was decisive during the whole cup.

Tristam

Steeven said:
Oh man this is comedy gold :lol. You assume that minor fouls will injure people, while minor fouls only are pulling someones shirt so he can't run away and stuff like that. Minor fouls isn;t kicking anckles and shit. You know that a referee will present a yellow card if a player messes up a beautiful counter attack with a minor foul, or that someone who makes many gets one? I agree that Van Bommel has been lucky so far, but he plays the game another way because he doesn't have the technique of a Xavi or Iniesta. Can't really blame him.

Let's be real here. Spain can play the best and most beautiful football in the world at this moment. All of their players are individually better, or well, almost all of them than the Dutch players. Technique wise they own every team out there. It's like Barcelona. Barcelona wins against almost everyone who tries to play the same game: attacking, attractive football. It's the same with the national team of Spain. As the opponent you can be naive and walk into their trap, because playing their game is losing it with 5-0. Or you can do as Inter Milan did against Barcelona: dig in and finish them with counter football. I'm not a fan of it, not by far, but it's better than being humiliated with 5-0. Think like the coach of the teams for a second. That's what you need to understand. But somehow you think I advocate that kind of play, while you just don't understand the game at all.

You know shit about the Dutch so don't act like you do. And for sure you know shit about me. I miss the Dutch team of 1998. I like attractive football. I don't really care if they win the cup Sunday. I'm getting sick of this 'orange fever' in the country too, can't really get away from it. But speaking for the other Dutchies: they want that cup man, no matter if Van Bommel kicks three Spanish players in the face, they want it. So call me a poor representative, while I leave you in your bigotry and ignorance.

I know that you're arrogant and prejudiced ("LOL AMERICANS DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SOCCER COMPARED TO ME YOU KNOW 'CUZ I'M DUTCH AND I'M A GRANDMASTER OF FOOTBALL!"), and that's all I need to know.

And you think by playing actual football a team as gifted as the Dutch are going to lose 5-0 to a Spanish team that has barely scored more than 5 goals the whole WC? Really? And I'm the one who doesn't know shit about football!

Boozeroony

Steeven said:
That's the most exciting thing about this match. Will the Dutch team show they can play great football, like against Hungary before this tournament, or will they fall back? Will the Spanish backs be overrun or will Spain dominate on the half of Holland. I don't think we have seen the best of this Dutch team yet, I really hope we get to see it Sunday. I hope van Marwijk starts with Elia and Robben, but as he said; Kuyt is the first one he chooses in the starting lineup on the team every match.

I am sure Bert will start with his usual suspects. He has every reason to do so, as he has won all matches untill now. Consistency is the keyword I suppose. Things will change in the final quarter of the game, depending on the situation.

wvy7io.png

2vs29go.png

Dresden

Xater said:
Paul picked Spain to win it all.
As expected.

I wonder if Paul is a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. The Dutch players are struck with a sense of doom, while Spain riots in the streets in the name of the octopus.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Xater said:
Paul picked Spain to win it all.
Nice.
We'll be able to put this superstitious bullshit to rest.

Statistically speaking, Spain should win this. Holland went through this thing without a single defeat. This potential upcoming loss, is what statistical likelihood demands.

I believe Paul is attracted to yellow colours. It's natural he goes for Spain.

Kozak

Banned
Tristam said:
I know that you're arrogant and prejudiced ("LOL AMERICANS DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SOCCER COMPARED TO ME YOU KNOW 'CUZ I'M DUTCH AND I'M A GRANDMASTER OF FOOTBALL!"), and that's all I need to know.

And you think by playing actual football a team as gifted as the Dutch are going to lose 5-0 to a Spanish team that has barely scored more than 5 goals the whole WC? Really? And I'm the one who doesn't know shit about football!

I like you man, you're fighting the good fight.

Mael

Veidt said:
Nice.
We'll be able to put this superstitious bullshit to rest.

Statistically speaking, Spain should win this. Holland went through this thing without a single defeat. This potential upcoming loss, is what statistical likelihood demands.

I believe Paul is attracted to yellow colours. It's natural the he goes for Spain.

that and they deserve to lose after the last match

Veidt

BaZZaa said:
NOT!! he was wrong the last final between Spain & Germany (EK2008) ;)
So Holland will win!
There's a chance of 50/50 compared to the last final he predicted. So if he got the last one wrong. He might get this one right after all.

Things going against the Dutch team:
-Altitude
-No losses

I fully expect us to lose on Sunday, and so should everyone else.

edit:As you can see, I can't make my mind up. I DON'T KNOWWW :(

Steeven

Tristam said:

The funny thing is that you are the living example of it not being a prejudice at all, but carry on.

Dude, why do you think the Dutch team plays with TWO defensive midfielders? Because our defense is our weakest point and with Van Bommel and De Jong in front of them, they don't get into much trouble. But it comes with a price, and that price is creativity and attractiveness. With 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders, you don't have a lot of creative players left and the few that are, like Sneider, vd Vaart en Robben are easier to control for the opponent, because there are only a few of them.

Then the other thing. Have you seen the opponents of Spain? They dig in. If you play against your local amateurclub you can play them apart, but at this level, shit is tight and real. So thats one reason hey haven't scored so much. I also think Spain should play with two strikers, because only Villa is too little, as we have seen in the goals scored by Spain. Third, they should try more at shooting at the goal. Sometimes they end up in these endless combinations, not trying anything really (although great to watch).

So yeah, you are the one who doesn't know shit. Thats alright, we will teach you.

Veidt

spons said:
No losses means they'll lose in the final? Sounds like complete nonsense to me.
I don't know man. Just the humanity of it all. Everyone loses at one time. Just a matter of when.

Kozak

Banned
spons said:
No losses means they'll lose in the final? Sounds like complete nonsense to me.

Why not? Spain lost early in the tournament and they knew they had to step up their game.

Netherlands haven't lost yet so they assume their game is fine.

itsgreen

Kozak said:
Why not? Spain lost early in the tournament and they knew they had to step up their game.

No they don't assume that. At all. Follow the press conferences...

$200

Banned
Kozak said:

Argentina says hi

spons

Gold Member
itsgreen said:
No they don't assume that. At all. Follow the press conferences...
Besides, a team that lost to Switzerland and barely won from Paraguay shouldn't even be in the final. But that's how the game goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom