• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WORLD CUP 2022 | Rumba Quatar

HoodWinked

As someone that doesn't watch soccer much. To me I get the impression that diving is part of the game and trying to deceive is like another aspect/skill to the meta-game.

When players dive the announcers don't even really comment on it. They should be disapproving or mocking it everytime it happens but it's just accepted as part of the game.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
As someone that doesn't watch soccer much. To me I get the impression that diving is part of the game and trying to deceive is like another aspect/skill to the meta-game.

When players dive the announcers don't even really comment on it. They should be disapproving or mocking it everytime it happens but it's just accepted as part of the game.
It's easy: when one of "your" guys dive, it's a smart play and part of the sport and just a bit of the old mind games

When one of "the other" guys dives, it's a disgrace and a scandal and the ref is blind and they should be carded.

Teslerum

It's something you have to do, yeah. Otherwise, you basically give advantages to the other team. There's a thing of being *too* sincere. For example, getting fouled on in the penalty area and staying up. The ref won't blow for penalty despite the fact that a foul actually happened. So, you HAVE to go down.

Now of course, the frustrating part comes in with bad referring. For example when it leads to a really bad call or when the time wasting gets out of hand. But that's another story.
Complaints about that are legitimate, but its no different than shit calls / referees in other sports.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Missed the first games and will miss the Brazil and part of the last game but they looked like competitive matches.

You just don't know what will happen here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's something you have to do, yeah. Otherwise, you basically give advantages to the other team. There's a thing of being *too* sincere. For example, getting fouled on in the penalty area and staying up. The ref won't blow for penalty despite the fact that a foul actually happened. So, you HAVE to go down.

Now of course, the frustrating part comes in with bad referring. For example when it leads to a really bad call or when the time wasting gets out of hand. But that's another story.
Complaints about that are legitimate, but its no different than shit calls / referees in other sports.
It's bad reffing that allows this. I posted it above a page ago that faking/diving is suppose to be a penalty which can lead to a yellow card. But for everyone out there who ha watched a soccer match, how many times have you ever seen a ref hand out a yellow card (or even a free kick to the other team) for a guy faking an injury? For most of you probably never. Ive seen it once in my life.

If refs dont want to give out penalties for players being hacked and chopped but can stay on their feet, again bad reffing.

In hockey, 2:00 minutes penalties are given out all the time where the player is still standing. A player doesn't have to crumble to the ground to draw one. Even for breakaway penalty shots, a ref can grant one if the player simply has his wrists/hands chopped at. He doesn't have to fall to the ice.

If soccer refs were more strict, you'd have less people faking a call. But it's part of the game where it seems refs, players, coaches and fans just tolerate it as one part silly and one part time wasting.

jm89

GOAT

RYjiPYy.jpg

Probably ate one aswell.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
It's bad reffing that allows this. I posted it above a page ago that faking/diving is suppose to be a penalty which can lead to a yellow card. But for everyone out there who ha watched a soccer match, how many times have you ever seen a ref hand out a yellow card (or even a free kick to the other team) for a guy faking an injury? For most of you probably never. Ive seen it once in my life.

If refs dont want to give out penalties for players being hacked and chopped but can stay on their feet, again bad reffing.

In hockey, 2:00 minutes penalties are given out all the time where the player is still standing. A player doesn't have to crumble to the ground to draw one. Even for breakaway penalty shots, a ref can grant one if the player simply has his wrists/hands chopped at. He doesn't have to fall to the ice.

If soccer refs were more strict, you'd have less people faking a call. But it's part of the game where it seems refs, players, coaches and fans just tolerate it as one part silly and one part time wasting.

You see simulation in the NFL for pass interference calls. Doesn't lead to time wasting since it's a dead ball but definitely embellishments to get a call.

For what it's worth, it has got better in soccer and not nearly as bad as it once was - though there still moments when it gets really bad (but also why I am enjoying that they are accounting for all time wasted in the WC this time through).

Ballthyrm

The amount of time available for a referee is going to be shorter for a real time sport like soccer. You don't have concept like advantage in NFL as much.

The play by play as well as a shiton of referee you have on an NFL pitch can't work for soccer.

Soccer doesn't stop the clock, it isn't cut into quarters, etc, etc. I don't want soccer to lose the real time aspect for the sake of perfect fairness.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Diving is a part of the game, just like 'Howzat' calls in cricket or in football the fumble pile or a player putting the ball as far foward as possible after being tackled.
It's just it has become excessive in soccer with the rolling on the floor grabbing your face which just looks ridiculous.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

Because they are rewarded for it

Never forget, 2002

Lasha

What I heard, and this is probably wrong but I've never bothered to look it up because some of life's mysteries should remain unknown, is that at the time in the US all of the most popular highly-mobile sports involved horses - like polo, horse racing, dressage, etc. This sport was the first that involved the players running about on foot.

Baseball did come first, but it was named baseball because it primarily involved the "capture" of bases.

"Soccer" is short for "Association Football". It's british rhyming slang. Soccer was used to differentiate "association football" from other codes of the game like "rugby football" and "Gaelic football". "Association Football" became the dominant code so British switched back to calling it just football.

Countries like the US and Australia had other codes of football become dominant and assume the "football" mantle leaving "association football" to be called "soccer".

Top Bottom