• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Map Screens That Sucked You Into the Game

Skies of Arcadia

zlJgs.jpg

This but really it was the overworld and not the map. So amazing and really sucked you in.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to mention Dragon Quest VIII in this discussion.

4IkP9.jpg

So the map is kind of simple, got yer islands and all that jazz, nothing too stellar to remark in just viewing the map.

x9B6A.jpg

But on foot, it's just lovely to view. You can see tons of places that you can get to, even see some special monsters walking around you can recruit.

But the best part of it (at least in North America) was the music. Oh gosh, what great music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg236zrHA40

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Can't believe the bare FFVIII love. It had by far the best theme (blue fields) and was made to look a lot better than you'd expect from a world map. Absolute classic that made you want to explore. When you get to fly balamb it's a blast to do all the side questing, also training at dragon island was fun as hell

Raptomex

SMWoverworld.jpg

I was OBSESSED with this overworld. Studied the strategy guides. Looked for every secret spot.

EDIT: dammit! shouldn't have typed anything
This. Because it's the best and the greatest game ever made. My friend and I want to use Lunar Magic to alter the world and create new levels. Going to be awesome.

For me, it was when I realized as I started playing EarthBound that there actually was no traditional overworld, and that if there ever was one, I was already in it.
The way you traveled seamlessly in this world suddenly made it seem HUGE, and it really felt like every step mattered.
It's not even my top favorite game or anything (though it's somewhere up there), but I must say that no other game made me feel as immersed in its world as this game did.

bengraven

Ahh, I love this topic. I really love maps growing up and I still do today. I'll toss in my favorite that I've not seen mentioned yet. I know that it's just a map of actual locations, as opposed to a map of a new game world, but I still just totally associate it with the game that it came with (Sid Meier's Pirates!). My copy actually fell apart at the edges from my folding and unfolding it while playing Pirates! until I basically had the entire map memorized.

Quoting, since it's a big dang image.

Fuck yes!

I can't believe I forgot this, especially since I'm usually the first person to point out Pirates! in threads.

I don't know anyone who didn't frame this on their wall. True story: four friends and myself owned the game and for some reason we all ended up with this framed on our wall, despite no one coordinating said framing.

rBA7q.jpg

Chrono Cross. The theme music for both worlds was just so good and the layout was so great.

I still love Chrono Cross. Top 3 JRPG for me. The world, the music, it's great.

RedSwirl

Why does seen so similar to Metal Gear Solid? Even had the tower where you fight the Hind-D.

Because Metal Gear 2 is literally about 85% the same game as MGS1, it was just made eight years earlier on 8-bit hardware. No seriously, play it. It's on the HD Collection.

TripOpt55

Link to the Past came to my mind.

If this was world map screens that sucked, I'd nominate Warrior Within's map. What a piece of shit. Why bother including that in the game at all.

GimMick

Dat first post ! Super Mario World map especially is marvelous, so many secrets in there !

Also approving the Morrowind (Vvardenfell), Crash Bandicoot, and DKC games' mentions in this thread.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is what i meant the other day by how Mass Effect 1 was presenting its planets, i mean when you see that, you really wanna explore the planet and see what the rest of the galaxy has to show, ME2 and ME3 don't do it that way and it sucks :

cwUaB.jpg

Not the best pic, but the map in Test Drive Unlimited isn't intimidating at first until you are trying to drive on ever single road available.

Bbz7a.jpg

Another vote for Mass Effect, especially Mass Effect 3. Being able to read up about every planet in every system in each galaxy is just incredible.

I miss being able to explore some planets on the Mako in Mass Effect 1.

2012-07-14_00001yjl0n.jpg

EU3 baby.

skyrim because it is sort of 3d and awesome
http://d1aw6a8fkdzosj.cloudfront.net/images/stories/Review_Pics/SKYRIM_-_PIC_3.jpg[IMG]

Here is a bad example, looks better in game[/QUOTE]

Skyrim world map took me out of the game, because when you realized how close everything was together, the sense of scale collapsed in on itself like a giant star of turgid shit condensing into a vast singularity with a gravitational pull so strong that no suspension of disbelief could escape.

Fucking hate that map. It may look cool but it's functionality is awful. Zero help when it comes to finding the right path up a mountain or such, way too cluttered deeper into the game when you've got markers all over the place and if you've got a bunch of active quests, and you can barely zoom out, so sometimes you don't even know what part of the map you're looking at cause you see such a small part of it.

Completely agreed. Over 100 hours into the game on the PC (with roads mod added) and it is still confusing as hell to tell where you are.

There was suppose to be a mod in the works that makes the map look like an actual MAP like Oblivion, but I'm not sure if it's finished.

hongcha

Seiken Densetsu 3:

iHrHL.jpg

Simply magical. I wish Square(-Enix) still made game worlds like this!!

Lunar:
lunarmap-600x436.jpg

Tengai Makyou IV: The Apocalypse:
T4MAP2.jpg

DJIzana

I always loved the Chrono Cross world map.

images

QFT... my favorite game to this date. I fell in love with the world map, the game is simply amazing. Both on a artistic and musical level. Yeah, the story might not have been what people would have wanted it to be but for me... it's everything I've wanted in a Chrono sequel! =)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
really gaf? have not seen this yet.

overworld.gif

Criminy! Learn to quote images! Plus this is a bit different as this is the whole game, rather than an over world map representing the whole world. I can see where you're coming from though, this is very immersive.

A lot of the ones I like have been brought up but I didn't see this in a search so:

FFXII: Revenant Wings
93561420071019screen002ka4.jpg

It's not the most amazing thing ever, but I loved the look of it and flying around.

MarkusRJR

I absolutely love the world maps in both Chrono Trigger and Skyrim. Chrono Trigger's world map music engrosses me in the experience, while Skyrim's map makes me want to explore everywhere and find hidden areas.

I don't think your LTTP picture is big enough.

FFVII%20-%20Overworld%202-620x.jpg

Final Fantasy VII. You spend all this time in a very steampunk-esque city, battling an environment-killing corporation, and then BAM! Some old soldier named Sephiroth just killed who you thought was the big bad villain, your main character is starting to act unhinged, and it looks like shit is seriously about to get real. And then...you leave the city and realize you still have the rest of the world to visit.

Leaving Midgar in FFVII was a major "holy shit" moment.

This for me too, probably because it was my first experience with RPGs and I still had my 'golden age of gaming glasses'. I remember feeling such awe and excitement at the size of that world I was just released into. I also remember realising at that point that the game came on 3 discs and I was still on the first. Such great memories.

NM0dz

Neo Member
This thread has made me realise how much a world map draws me in. All of these maps are awesome, new and old. Here's to more awesome maps in the future...

Edit: going to track down the games I don't recognise here and give them a shot

Not one mention of BG /BG2?

249166-bg01_map_super.jpg

post-5803-0-19446500-1332632372.gif

Of course I was an old AD&D nerd, loved Forgotten Realms, so BG2 was great from that point of view for me

Also, it's just a tiny part of the overworld:-
Forgotten_Realms.jpg

Nothing special but the map for forget-me-not valley from harvest moon a wonderful life

gbelanger_hm_map2.jpg

It was Mostly area number 3 that did it. i never owned a gba link cable so i was never able to explore that area but seeing that mysterious off limits section of the town made my imagination run wild. it made me explore and try to learn as much as i can about the world to guess what was on that side. After talking to some npc's in the game who all said they came from the big city i imagined it to be a big bustling metropolis. Oh boy can you imagine my disappointment when i looked up on the internet what it was a few years later lol.

Top Bottom