• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy |OT| Lightning Inside

ZeroX03

Banned
Yo (end-game spoilers),
How am I supposed to defeat man with the Golden Mask with Lann? He kills me with Doom way before I can kill him.

The only way I think surviving it is getting last stand ability... which would mean maxing out Tama's board.... which would mean around 10 hours on brainless grinding. There has to be another way, right?

IIRC you can abuse stacks, but my way was simply to retry. The first time I fought him he just dropped his status effects on my every turn. Second time he only did it twice. Weird AI.

Burbeting

Banned
If you unstack, the doom still hits every single member on the party. So I guess I just need hope for RNG not to be an ass? That's... really bad boss design.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you unstack, the doom still hits every single member on the party. So I guess I just need hope for RNG not to be an ass? That's... really bad boss design.
It also helps if you have a monster with Last Stand, which leaves you with 1 HP when you'd be otherwise KO'd. One of my stacks with a Mega Nightsharqual & Chocochick has it, but I can't remember where specifically, so maybe check mirage boards for those two families.

Burbeting

Banned
It also helps if you have a monster with Last Stand, which leaves you with 1 HP when you'd be otherwise KO'd. One of my stacks with a Mega Nightsharqual & Chocochick has it, but I can't remember where specifically, so maybe check mirage boards for those two families.

You can get last stand if you master the mirage aka. 100% board.

But yeah, remedy+ actually removed doom, something I didn't realise. Makes the boss actually bearable.

//Edit

----

Finished the game, took roughly 30 hours (33h, but the game was on idle for some hours). The game was... okay? Around 7/10 game, and worth the 40 euros I put down to buy it.

The game suffers from pacing issues. The first 10 hours or so are paced alright, but problems start to show their faces after the beginning. The dungeons become very same-y, and are way too long for their own good. Some dungeons were over an hour long, and just very tedious, mostly due to the absurdly high encounter rate. It didn't help that these dungeons also had very uninspired designs, with very same-y rooms throughout.
Big Bridge and the Crystal Tower were the worst offenders in this regard,
Then at the last few hours the game pads out the content to such an absurd degree, mostly with "oh you actually need to do these intervention quests now!". Who thought this was a good idea, I don't know.

I enjoyed the Stacking mechanic, and the battles were pretty fun... at first. Again, after 10 hours or so, they just lose all of their steam, and become boring. It's a shame, since I really did enjoy the stacking.

Story and the cast were genuine surprise to me. Lann and Reynn were both very annoying at first, same with Tama & Serafie, but all four of them grew on me during the game. The plot, while non-sense, got genuinely interesting at parts.
I enjoyed how the Architects were a bit more important plot-point that what seemed like first.
Some of the tonal shifts were pretty jarring though, I think I would have prefered a more lighthearted touch in the last stretch of the game as well.

The Soundtrack was the biggest disappointment, sadly. The songs are fine by themselves, but they aren't memorable enough for not to become grating. Both of the battle themes became very dull to listen to very quickly. Same with dungeon themes, although this is partly tied to the dungeons being way too long for their own good as well.

Not a bad game, but definitely flawed.

Have an issue with the game. I haven't played it but my son is telling me he's stuck on chapter 8 and he needs a water mirage with at least 50 water defense and weight 5. The problem is he doesnt have one that is 50 water defense, and he says if he goes back to fight the mirage he would need in that chapter, he is too strong and just kills it so can't capture it. What can he do?

Thanks.

Shoeless

Have an issue with the game. I haven't played it but my son is telling me he's stuck on chapter 8 and he needs a water mirage with at least 50 water defense and weight 5. The problem is he doesnt have one that is 50 water defense, and he says if he goes back to fight the mirage he would need in that chapter, he is too strong and just kills it so can't capture it. What can he do?

Thanks.

If this is for the "weight trigger plates," then he doesn't need a specific mirage with those properties. As long as you can provide one mirage with the water stat you need, you can add on another mirage for the weight, provided it doesn't have stats that negate the water stats you need.

So, for example, you can put on a water creature with the 50 points you need in the water stat, even though it weighs only 3. Then you can drop a heavier mirage, as long as its water stat isn't negative, to hit the weight you want.

The other option if there's one mirage that's perfect for the need that you still need to capture is to use special attacks like "subdue," which do zero damage when a creature hits 0 hp.

Thanks.

Unstack or change your mirage setup/remove mirages so you're not as strong?

If this is for the "weight trigger plates," then he doesn't need a specific mirage with those properties. As long as you can provide one mirage with the water stat you need, you can add on another mirage for the weight, provided it doesn't have stats that negate the water stats you need.

So, for example, you can put on a water creature with the 50 points you need in the water stat, even though it weighs only 3. Then you can drop a heavier mirage, as long as its water stat isn't negative, to hit the weight you want.

The other option if there's one mirage that's perfect for the need that you still need to capture is to use special attacks like "subdue," which do zero damage when a creature hits 0 hp.

Ok thanks we'll try the subdue thing, he said he didnt know what that was for. The issue is he has no mirage that is 50 water. He says he's good on the weight.

Unstack or change your mirage setup/remove mirages so you're not as strong?
He says if he changes it he just dies. He's too strong stacked and too weak unstacked.

Completed the game but wish you could have the ff characters in your party and dislike the stack system because it restricts your party member choice. I know its there to add strategy but the game is easy as it is anyways.

OK, still having issues catching a 50 water guy...again, I've never played the game and my son is trying to catch this dude. We used the "subdue" command on a couple and one we got to low health and the other to the point the subdue command takes nothing off the guy. It was at 1 health. The problem is the command to imprism is greyed out. We can't imprism it. Why not? Are there other rules for imprisming something?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
OK, still having issues catching a 50 water guy...again, I've never played the game and my son is trying to catch this dude. We used the "subdue" command on a couple and one we got to low health and the other to the point the subdue command takes nothing off the guy. It was at 1 health. The problem is the command to imprism is greyed out. We can't imprism it. Why not? Are there other rules for imprisming something?

Different mirages have different imprism conditions. It's not always to do damage. It can even be to heal it or use an item on it. Use Libra to see what the condition is. Tama should have Libra.

Also, you don't have to have 1 mirage with 50 water. You can also have 2 with 25 water, or 1 with 100 and 1 with -50. As long as the sum of Water is 50 or greater with all 3.

Use libra on every enemy you come across, it will tell you how much health it has and the conditions for imprimsing it.

For instance, some mirages need to have a status ailment inflicted, some need a fire attack, some need to have a buff put on it. Libra will tell you.

Completed the game but wish you could have the ff characters in your party and dislike the stack system because it restricts your party member choice. I know its there to add strategy but the game is easy as it is anyways.

Stacking the FF characters would have been amazing.

Different mirages have different imprism conditions. It's not always to do damage. It can even be to heal it or use an item on it. Use Libra to see what the condition is. Tama should have Libra.

Also, you don't have to have 1 mirage with 50 water. You can also have 2 with 25 water, or 1 with 100 and 1 with -50. As long as the sum of Water is 50 or greater with all 3.

Use libra on every enemy you come across, it will tell you how much health it has and the conditions for imprimsing it.

For instance, some mirages need to have a status ailment inflicted, some need a fire attack, some need to have a buff put on it. Libra will tell you.
Ah, thanks again.

Edit: And we got it on the first try. Whoooo.

Wagram

and Platinum #80 is mine. Final trophy was the Einhander blitzball mini-game. Scored 4,950. Fairly easy if you wait it out.

LordofPwn

Got true ending at level 70, just shy of 61 hours. Then proceeded to clear all the dungeons and the only treasure chest in the last dungeon gave me the trophy for finding them all. No need to backtrack. I actually now only need to finish coliseum, imprisim the few remaining mirages, and master 100. Need to figure out how many I have mastered.

Fun game, 4 Stars.

Taruranto

Are the game menus slow on PS4 are they are on the Vita? I die inside every time I need to check a mirage board, especially for the mirages NOT in my party. So annoying.

tonypark

Yo (end-game spoilers),
How am I supposed to defeat man with the Golden Mask with Lann? He kills me with Doom way before I can kill him.

The only way I think surviving it is getting last stand ability... which would mean maxing out Tama's board.... which would mean around 10 hours on brainless grinding. There has to be another way, right?

I simply used all my remedy+ on this boss.

Fou-Lu

My save file may be broken at the very end of the postscript. *sigh*

I brought Tama back, but my adventure log and my waypoint say I need to talk to the Time Girl, but she has nothing to say and neither does Tama or Seraphie.

LordofPwn

My save file may be broken at the very end of the postscript. *sigh*

I brought Tama back, but my adventure log and my waypoint say I need to talk to the Time Girl, but she has nothing to say and neither does Tama or Seraphie.
Go to the ice region. I hit the same spot as you after being up way too late, when I got back to it I couldn't remember what I needed to do. You can always check the adventure log for better details.

In a different note I finally platinumed this game. Like 80 hours in. Mastering 100 mirages took awhile even with the XP farm spot. Trophy even popped at what I thought was number 98 but I wouldn't be suprised if I forgot to write 2 down.

Fou-Lu

Okay, I managed to figure out what to do. Beat the final boss now, not sure if I'll have time for post-game content for a while. It's a good game, I hope it gets a sequel that realizes its ideas more fully.

HeeHo

The Pro visual glitch has stopped me from finishing this. I had almost 20 hours on it and I was really into it and I was hoping to finish before XV too. And then I got a Pro and this was the first game I tried out on it. I was like 'waaah'?. Preeeetty disappointed by that. I don't want to delete the patch and re-install the game out of pure principle. Plus, I don't want to be introduced to a game breaking bug or anything.

I have managed to beat another game in between the upcoming fix too. Lame.

Mesoian

Just finished it up. Great game, one of the big surprises of the year.

The DLC fucked up my game a little bit though. Ended up beating
Cogna God
before triggering the cutscene in the colloseum which triggers
Chilvery and Ifrette
, which caused the game to never release that part of the game, which is necessary for the final ending. I completed the entire colloseum at level 65 thinking I had to in order to progress. I power cycled the PS4 and went into a random already completed event and the cutscene THEN triggered. So that was annoying.

But yeah, it was a cool game. I tipped my toe into the post game stuff and pretty much got rocked so I'll probably save that stuff for later.

Jiraiza

Any idea if the standard edition on Amazon includes the Japanese VO DLC? Or will I have to order the day one edition from the SE store?

Edit: Scratch that, looks like Gamestop has the limited edition for 39.99 so I'll go pick that up now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the opening hours...I seem to be endlessly popping potions during battles because attacks take way too much off my guys, and the abilities I've managed to unlock don't really do that much more damage than normal attacks. Am I missing a way to feel more secure in battles? It took me four deaths to beat Shiva, just felt like I was using potions every other turn.

basefree

The Pro visual glitch has stopped me from finishing this. I had almost 20 hours on it and I was really into it and I was hoping to finish before XV too. And then I got a Pro and this was the first game I tried out on it. I was like 'waaah'?. Preeeetty disappointed by that. I don't want to delete the patch and re-install the game out of pure principle. Plus, I don't want to be introduced to a game breaking bug or anything.

I have managed to beat another game in between the upcoming fix too. Lame.

Same here. Put in roughly the same amount of time. Then watch dogs 2 came out, and I both played and finished it since then. Today, I got my copy of FFXV as well. I guess this one will be sitting on the shelf for a while now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Okay, after my post above, I realized that I hadn't been switching to giant form to be able to pad out my hp with an extra stack. So i beat the boss easily with that, but I really have to ask: is there ever a case where you'd want to be in mini mode, or a reason to do that at all?

Okay, after my post above, I realized that I hadn't been switching to giant form to be able to pad out my hp with an extra stack. So i beat the boss easily with that, but I really have to ask: is there ever a case where you'd want to be in mini mode, or a reason to do that at all?

Eventually you get L-size mirages that you can ride on in mini form, letting you have a stack of 3 that way.

mattiewheels

One more question, does this game pretty much punish you for getting complacent with your stacks and never changing them out? I remember playing Nino Kuni and staying with the same familiars the whole game, but is this something where youll really fall behind if you keep the same stack for a long time?

MrDaravon

I like how I haven't started FFXV because I've spent THREE FUCKING DAYS trying to get Maduin via the fucking minigame which is the only thing stopping me from getting the Platinum. This shit single-handedly dropped this from being my GOTY to not even making my top 5 this year. I can't believe how incredibly fucked ALL of the minigames are. Seriously fuck this shit, this is goddamn outrageous.

So, one thing I really dislike about this game (and Xenoblade) is how it makes it basically impossible for you to beat monsters who are much higher in level than you.

FINALLY got the platinum.
Overall I'd give the game an 8/10.
Hit all the right JRPG notes--excellent graphics, music, and battle system. Felt like a classic final fantasy game in a good way. I think my favorite part of the game was the music--Hamauzu has so many good tracks in this game that I think people might overlook in comparison to a AAA game like FF15. I think the music holds up to anything released this year easily.
Felt like the story was the weakest part--villians were not utilized as well as they could be and at many points the story felt forced out of nowhere.
Platinum rating: 5/10
Not a hard platinum---an ANNOYING platinum...the worst kind. The kind where you have to spin your character in circles for HOURS fighting the same stupid enemies to level up mirage boards. Who approves this shit? Seriously the Master 100 mirage board trophy was horrible and a huge waste of time. Also the mini games sucked--I got lucky as shit getting the Maduin momento but the game doesn't even give you a hint as to how to get it. Overall a satisfying experience but annoying for trophy hunters/completionists.

The Dude

On the fence with this, so is monster collecting the main objective or is there questing etc and main story to play? I'm totally not a pokémon fan, but I'm curious if this is a little different in ways.

Exentryk

Started this over the weekend (I know I'm really late), and really enjoying it so far (Chap 6). Nice art-style and graphics with beautiful and varied locations, well done cutscenes, amazing music, and some nice jokes. I feel if they dialed back Lann a little bit with his portrayal of idiocy (maybe make it more subtle - less dialogue, more puzzling looks, etc.), it would have been better.

But other than that, it's been great. I legit put down the controller for 10 mins when Terra's Theme started playing in one of the areas. Wow! Great work by Hamauzu!

Combat has been good. Loving collecting the various mirages and coming up with interesting stacks. Game is quite easy, but you can still test yourself against high level enemies in the coliseum or secret areas in various maps. Picked up that early 45K exp from Princess Goblin at level 10, which got all my characters to level 18ish. So I'm a little OP for everything now.

Anyway, looking forward to playing more.

caliph95

Yeah finished the game and i think if i have to give like 7-8 on my useless scale. Though i expect i would be more into it if i played more FF besides X and dissidia.

Which does make me more interested in to playing more of the games. Looking at psn i guess i can justify for my vita 7 or 9 for the price. I guess i could play 8 but heard mixed things about. Though 9 is apparently slow and has the Random encounters which is a pet peeve in World and Hearts r.

Audioboxer

Started this on PS4 tonight. The charm is insane. Whoever greenlit this at Square take a bow. I know it isn't going to be a challenge but I'm sure I'll have fun.

Seems to run quite well on Pro at 4K. I know Pro at 1080p is apparently fucked, and Square STILL haven't patched it. Which is ridiculous.

Started this on PS4 tonight. The charm is insane. Whoever greenlit this at Square take a bow. I know it isn't going to be a challenge but I'm sure I'll have fun.

Seems to run quite well on Pro at 4K. I know Pro at 1080p is apparently fucked, and Square STILL haven't patched it.

Is there a toggle or do I need a 4K TV? I really want to pick this up but with my Pro/1080p combo I don't think I'd bother with it until it's patched or I have a new TV.

black070

Seems to run quite well on Pro at 4K. I know Pro at 1080p is apparently fucked, and Square STILL haven't patched it.

Oh ?! The game is fine on 4K screens ? No reason for me to hold off picking this up then.

Audioboxer

Is there a toggle or do I need a 4K TV? I really want to pick this up but with my Pro/1080p combo I don't think I'd bother with it until it's patched or I have a new TV.

No toggle hence why it's pissing people off. I'm not sure of forcing your PS4 pro to output in 1080p works? It should.

Edit: Ignore what I just said LOL. Got myself confused. There's no toggles for anything and obviously if you only have a 1080p TV you can't force anything in PS4 settings.

Oh ?! The game is fine on 4K screens ? No reason for me to hold off picking this up then.

I've just played for an hour and I don't notice anything. The images I seen before buying it made it seem like the graphics corruption on Pro was terrible.

My understanding was it is just Pros running in 1080p due to being hooked up to a non-4K TV. Hence why I finally bit the bullet and purchased.

LiK

I beat this game last week and got true ending. It was amazing and the ending credits is GOAT. One of my fave RPGs this year. Loved it.

The true end credits were awesome. And what I've played so far of XV, I enjoyed WoFF more. That could change but this was the FF to get this year by my reckoning.

Top Bottom