• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Legion pre-patch

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20151961/legion-pre-expansion-patch-notes-7-18-2016

World of Warcraft: Legion Pre-Expansion Patch
Updated: July 18, 2016.
New Transmogrification Collections System: Appearances
New Collection tab: Appearances
Unlock new appearances by collecting Soulbound weapons and armor your character can equip.
Unlocked appearances are account-wide and usable for transmogrification by other characters that can equip the item.
When first logging into a character after Patch 7.0, the appearances of appropriate items in your bags, bank, and Void Storage are learned automatically. Additional appearances will be unlocked based on previously-completed quests.
Transmogrifiers located in most major cities have been improved with additional features.
Got a look that you like? Save the entire transmogrification set as an outfit. Create and swap between outfits at the Transmogrifier.
Additionally, transmogrifications can now be associated with your current specialization. Your outfit automatically changes when switching specializations if you so desire.
Added a new option to hide shoulders.
The option to hide helmets, cloaks, and shoulders has been moved into the transmogrification system.
Revamped PvP Progression and Honor System
The PvP Reward System will now provide appropriate items for players level 100 and below.
Honor Points and Conquest Points have been removed as a currency.
Items that were purchased using Honor or Conquest are now available for purchase with Marks of Honor that can be earned from Battlegrounds, Arenas, and Skirmishes.
Learn more about upcoming PvP changes in our Legion PvP Preview.
Equalized PvP Gear
Gear has been normalized in PvP combat. Characters entering a Skirmish Arena, Battleground, Rated Arena, Rated Battleground, or Ashran now receive an aura called Principles of War.
Principles of War removes all stats gained from gear (Strength, Stamina, Haste, etc.), disables gear related bonuses (like trinket effects and set bonuses), and gives the character stats based on their specializations, and increases based on overall item level. The goal is to provide a much more finely tuned and balanced PvP experience.

Arenas
The pennant attached to the back of characters now changes its appearance based on the player’s best rating in the Arena bracket.
The 5v5 Arena bracket has been retired. "Arena Master" achievement has been converted into a Feat of Strength.
Battlegrounds
Winning a Battleground with characters below level 110 now awards a Crate of Battlefield Goods. Players on the opposing team also have a chance to receive a crate with an increasing chance based on team score at the end of a match. The crate contains a piece of armor appropriate for the character’s level and specialization with a chance for the crate to contain additional rewards such as weapons or relics.
Raids and Dungeons
Hellfire Citadel
Enemies on Normal, Heroic, and Mythic difficulty now deal roughly 30% less damage.
Legacy
Normalized gold from Legacy raids prior to Warlords of Draenor. Heroic difficulty Cataclysm Raids now award less gold than before, while raids from Mists of Pandaria and Wrath of the Lich King will now award more gold.
Ruins of Ahn’Qiraj now resets daily instead of every 3 days.
Quests and World
Legendary Ring Quest Line
Players can no longer start the quest line for the legendary ring. Players currently on the legendary quest line have until the launch of Legion to complete it; at which point uncompleted quests will be removed from the quest log.
Tap Changes
All creatures and NPCs can now be tapped by up to 5 other characters.
World Events
The Brawler's Guild is taking a break and will return at a later date.
The Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza has taken a temporary hiatus while the fish are restocked.
Items and Itemization
Itemization
In an effort to reduce the amount of gear swapping between specializations, the following changes have been made.
Legion cloaks, rings, and items worn on the neck are no longer tied to a specific primary stat, and will remain relevant between specializations.
Spirit and Bonus Armor have been removed.
Multistrike has been removed. Items that had multistrike have had it replaced with another secondary stat.
Trinkets obtained from Raids, PvP, and world drops in Warlords were overtuned and have been brought back to intended power levels.
Set bonuses for item sets from expansions prior to Warlords of Draenor have been deactivated, though the text describing their former function still remains.
Spell Power on all caster weapons have been consolidated into Intellect to make it easier to compare item power between two caster weapons. Overall weapon power remains unchanged.
Items
Potion of Luck and Greater Potion of Luck no longer have an effect.
Gladiator's Distinction set bonus has been removed from all PvP trinkets.
Character Changes
Specialization System Changes
Characters can now change between any of their specializations while out of combat. Action bar configurations and talent loadouts are saved for each specialization. As a result, Dual Specialization has been removed.
Updates to Combat Visuals and Audio
Updated and improved on the animations, visual effects, and audio on core combat interactions like auto-attacks as well as many melee class abilities.
Talent System Changes
Players may now change talents freely when in any rested XP area. The Inscription profession can craft consumable items that allow for this to be done in the field. In addition, after queuing into an instanced dungeon, raid, or PvP content, players have a grace period during which they may change talents freely.
Glyph System Changes
The Glyph panel has been removed from the game. Some minor glyphs that had a cosmetic effect that does not apply to a specific spell have been converted into cosmetic items that provide the same effects as before.
Some minor glyphs that made cosmetic alterations to a specific spell have been added to the spell itself in the spellbook.
Gnome Hunters
Gnomes can now be Hunters.
Draenor Perks Removed
Draenor Perks have been removed from the game.
Armor Changes
Hunters and Shaman can now equip Mail armor from level 1 (down from level 40).
Warriors and Paladins can now equip Plate armor from level 1 (down from level 40).
New Mail and Plate reward options have been added to low level quests.
Racial Abilities
Human
Every Man for Himself now removes all Stun effects and shares a 30-second cooldown with other items or abilities that have a similar effect.
The Human Spirit has been redesigned. Human characters now gain 1% more of all secondary stats (Haste, Critical Strike, Mastery, and Versatility) from all sources
Class Changes
All classes and specializations have undergone changes to abilities and mechanics. Check out our class preview logs for a better understanding on the thought process behind these changes.

Overview
Death Knight
Druid
Hunter
Mage
Monk
Paladin
Priest
Rogue
Shaman
Warlock
Warrior
Garrison
Many sources of gold from the Garrison has been reduced or removed.
Newly obtained salvage from the Salvage Yard no longer contains equippable items. Salvage obtained from before the patch remains unaffected.
Collections
Toy Box
A number of items with novel effects have been converted for inclusion in the Toy Box.
Orb of Deception now lets the character retain features like armor that’s worn when transforming.
New toy: Soft Foam Sword, sold by Jepetto Joybuzz. The toy mortally wounds (but does not kill) an enemy of trivial difficulty.
Professions
Major glyphs, along with many minor glyphs, have been converted or removed from the game.
UI
Character nameplates have been reworked and have been upgraded to show class resources. Players may select a larger version of these nameplates from within the Interface Options menu.
Enemy nameplates now provide additional information on status effects.
Added class resource bars that display directly underneath your character.
The character sheet has been trimmed down, though fully verbose stats are still available via the API.
Interface options have changed and been further streamlined.
Tab targeting logic has been reworked, and should now behave in a more consistent and predictable manner.
A buff icon has been added to make it easier to tell when a character has XP gain disabled.
Account
The maximum amount of gold that can be held at once has been increased to 9,999,999 gold. Guild bank maximum has also been increased to 9,999,999 gold.
Maximum number of characters on a realm has increased to 12.
Graphics Engine
Maximum draw distance has been extended greatly for all world content.
5 additional levels of graphics presets have been added with 3 above the previous ‘Ultra’ setting.
More advanced rendering techniques for fog have been added.
Modern techniques for rendering color and other post-effects have been added.

I highlighted what I think are the most pertinent parts. They equalized gear in arena's and battleground. From my understanding, everyone gets a baseline of 700 item level stats and every 10 item levels you have above that you gain a 1% bonus to stats. This has given pvp a breath of fresh air. Everything is balanced. No more massively over geared or under geared players. It's now much easier for the developers to balance classes. I'm coming from Guild Wars 2 which is known for it's non-gear grind and balanced pvp philosophy. World of Warcraft feels extremely close to it in this regard now. I'm actually surprised more people aren't talking about this.

They reworked every single class. I only started playing World of Warcraft a few months ago, starting with a holy paladin. I just reached max level only a week prior to the release of this Legion pre-patch. So far I'm really digging my new class mechanics. Paladin is a plate wielding class with much more of an emphasis on front line action whereas before he would sort of stay in the back away from the action just healing allies. Combat is much more visceral and engaging in my opinion.

The graphics system has been enhanced. The draw distance is much larger. It's really breathtaking actually. The new ultra settings/animations/spell effects look fantastic. Though there definitely is a performance hit (for example on my 970 I could run 4k DSR at 60 fps pre-patch. Post patch 4k will cripple my frame rates) But it's worth it because I think it's a night and day difference. The game resembles a painting or something now. The artwork comes across as really good looking in this new light.

lazygecko

I wonder what the returning user spike will be for the pre-patch and eventual expansion launch. WoD patch and launch was huge and introduced significant queues/server issues. But something tells me they've burned through a ton of goodwill after WoD, and the reception for this will be rather muted by comparison.

Legion is the first expansion I'm skipping out on. Things like artifacts and class halls don't really excite me, and as a PvP player, after how Ashran turned out my expectations are extremly low for how the PvP revamp will be handled.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I went Outlaw on my Rogue this morning and it's really cool, but I was dumb and bought a gun.

Your moveset gives you a free pistol. Do not be a dumbass like me.

Zaph

Set bonuses for item sets from expansions prior to Warlords of Draenor have been deactivated, though the text describing their former function still remains.

Haven't played for a long while, but were Hunters still using the Rift Stalker 2-peice (15% pet healing) to cheese certain encounters?

Zexen

As I feared, they improved the view distance without touching the parallel computing, the game still saturates a single core and barely use a second one. Unless you have a high IPC processor with a big frequency, perf will be bad on 10.

With a 4790K, I'm averaging 50 fps in Dalaran set on 10, more than 100 set on 7.

Interfectum

So far I've tested out the new Frost Death Knight... while his rotation seems a little more simple it feels so much more fun to play. The animations, the hit sounds, etc. Great patch.

Vashetti

Banned
Mac version is borked

Hangs, crashes, had to hard reset my MBP multiple times before I gave up and am waiting for a further update to come out

Performance is diabolical on both OpenGL and worse on the new Metal api, and that's on the lowest settings

(2015 13" MBP)

Nearly every one of my characters is down to like ... 4 main buttons and maybe a handful of situational options. Every rotation is super-simplified and gets boring pretty quickly. There's also a ton of fluff spells that are just ... gone. Aspect of the Pack is gone. Aspect of the Cheetah is now a 10 sec buff with a cooldown. Battle Cry and Commanding Shout are short term buffs with minute cooldowns instead of long-term buffs. Mark of the Wild is gone. Melee hunters are fun for ... about an hour or two before you realize your DPS is garbage compared to MM or BM and you constantly get Energy starved since the regen mechanic for the spec is literally "wait for more energy".

But the Transmog system is dope.

Everytime I see these posted I really want to resub, but it has been so long and I got an email a year ago my account was hacked (been a few years since I played) so I assume everything is borked.

Oh well, path of exile it is.

Thretau

Yeah I'd love to see some screenshots of the new view distance stuff.
I was curious as well so I found these:
EW0.jpg
EW1.jpg

Zaph

As I feared, they improved the view distance without touching the parallel computing, the game still saturates a single core and barely use a second one. Unless you have a high IPC processor with a big frequency, perf will be bad on 10.

With a 4790K, I'm averaging 50 fps in Dalaran set on 10, more than 100 set on 7.

When I used to play a lot of MMO's, this seemed like such a common problem. Something about an online game that makes parallel computing a lot harder?

Mac version is borked

Hangs, crashes, had to hard reset my MBP multiple times before I gave up and am waiting for a further update to come out

Performance is diabolical on both OpenGL and worse on the new Metal api, and that's on the lowest settings

(2015 13" MBP)

Given Blizzard's comments on Overwatch for Mac, I wouldn't expect things to get better there.

God I can't wait to come back to this game. I've been away for 2-3 years and have since built a gaming PC. I'll probably finally be able to max the graphics settings!

Aeana

They just up and removed glyphs?
Honestly that patch note lost just reads like a series of "thing is no longer in the game" over and over.

Nerokis

Anything of significance walled behind Legion if you're just interested in making a new character, leveling up, and seeing all the pre-Legion content?

Honestly that patch note lost just reads like a series of "thing is no longer in the game" over and over.

Major glyphs have all been removed. So have I would say about half of all minor glyphs. The rest have been converted into consumables you apply directly to your spell book. Inscription isn't entirely dead, but it has been severely gutted and they haven't really given us anything in Legion to make up for it.

I believe major glyphs are gone, and some minor glyphs have been merged into some abilities/spells or are still around as cosmetic things/turned into toys. I could have read wrong though.

Also, part of me wants to assume some of the utility major glyphs gave will be in the upgrade trees of the artifact weapons

Apathy

Got rid of major glyphs. Minor glyphs, the ones that changed something cosmetically, are still around, although fewer. There is no glyph ui, glyphs are consumables you attach directly to a spell in the spellbook

Inception is now very much needed but any decent good or person has a scribe to make the new tomes to switch talents when not in a rested area. They cost a lot to make and a raiding guild will go through them really fast.

This game runs like GARBAGE on my machine. Wondering if it's my install.

No matter the graphics setting, I don't go above 35fps in Stormwind. That's all the way from Low to Ultra.

I'm on a 4770K and a GTX970. Anyone else experiencing that?

Try turning off all your addons, see if that helps first. I had addons that did not show lua errors but were fucking up my fps and giving me stuttering till I turned them off

fwpx

No matter the graphics setting, I don't go above 35fps in Stormwind. That's all the way from Low to Ultra.

Tadie

Equalized PvP Gear
Gear has been normalized in PvP combat. Characters entering a Skirmish Arena, Battleground, Rated Arena, Rated Battleground, or Ashran now receive an aura called Principles of War.
Principles of War removes all stats gained from gear (Strength, Stamina, Haste, etc.), disables gear related bonuses (like trinket effects and set bonuses), and gives the character stats based on their specializations, and increases based on overall item level. The goal is to provide a much more finely tuned and balanced PvP experience.

Whoaa so Items doesn't matter anymore in PVP?

Ah okay, so item lvl still counts.

Maybe I should resub and can play PVP as a casual.

Gnomist

I like a lot of what I've read about Legion. I probably won't be a full-time player ever again, but I am actually looking forward to playing through the leveling content and at least some of the first raids. Hope it turns out great.

adversarial

Was bummed to find out Demon Hunters wouldn't be out for another 3 or 4 weeks. Will be maining Vengeance DH for main raid.

fwpx

Does anyone know if the collections for transmog work cross account? I have a super old account with the old Knight-Captain stuff that I'd love to finally be able to use again.

Got rid of major glyphs. Minor glyphs, the ones that changed something cosmetically, are still around, although fewer. There is no glyph ui, glyphs are consumables you attach directly to a spell in the spellbook

Inception is now very much needed but any decent good or person has a scribe to make the new tomes to switch talents when not in a rested area. They cost a lot to make and a raiding guild will go through them really fast.

Try turning off all your addons, see if that helps first. I had addons that did not show lua errors but were fucking up my fps and giving me stuttering till I turned them off

I'll try that. Thanks!

Zaph

Whoaa so Items doesn't matter anymore in PVP?

Maybe I should resub and can play PVP as a casual.

Seems like they do, but only as an average item level. So I imagine people will be throwing on any gear they can find, regardless how appropriate it is to their spec, just to get a higher Principles of War buff?

Couleurs

Mac version is borked

(2015 13" MBP)

Working fine on my iMac so far (late 2012). Only big complaint so far is that they apparently removed the iTunes Remote option from the keybind menu, which is hopefully just an oversight and accidentally got taken out when they were removing many other options.

Besides that, I got my main's bars set back up and bank cleaned out, but Vuhdo seems screwed up from having all specs available instead of just having main and secondary spec options. I'm probably just overlooking a new setting though, so ill look into it tonight. Then it's time to get bars/Vuhdo fixed for my legion of alts :( At least I have time, since there isn't really anything to do besides relearning classes and playing with the new transmog window until the invasion is added in a few weeks.

Sky87

If you have everything maxed (view distance to 10, shadows Ultra High etc) then that FPS seems normal to have in cities/garrison.

I'm on a 1070+same CPU, and it drops below 50 in my Garrison. Out questing it's usually around 100 though. Huge world bosses with hundred other players will most likely force me to turn some settings down.

EDIT: Tested some in Shadowmoon Valley. View Distance 10 and 8 have a 20FPS difference between them, and nothing major that you'll notice visually when questing. I recommend just sticking with 8 (it's the old maxed setting).

fwpx

If you have everything maxed (view distance to 10, shadows Ultra High etc) then that FPS seems normal to have in cities/garrison.

I'm on a 1070+same CPU, and it drops below 50 in my Garrison. Out questing it's usually around 100 though. Huge world bosses with hundred other players will most likely force me to turn some settings down.

that seems cuh-razy. Good to know though, thanks!

WarMacheen

Nearly every one of my characters is down to like ... 4 main buttons and maybe a handful of situational options. Every rotation is super-simplified and gets boring pretty quickly. There's also a ton of fluff spells that are just ... gone. Aspect of the Pack is gone. Aspect of the Cheetah is now a 10 sec buff with a cooldown. Battle Cry and Commanding Shout are short term buffs with minute cooldowns instead of long-term buffs. Mark of the Wild is gone. Melee hunters are fun for ... about an hour or two before you realize your DPS is garbage compared to MM or BM and you constantly get Energy starved since the regen mechanic for the spec is literally "wait for more energy".

But the Transmog system is dope.

I think they are pushing PVP so hard that they removed a lot of stuff from PVE in order to better balance. I mean at this point why not just give every class 3 abilities and an ultimate. Talents simplified, abilities simplified, glyphs removed.

No one asked for the changes

Interfectum

I think they are pushing PVP so hard that they removed a lot of stuff from PVE in order to better balance. I mean at this point why not just give every class 3 abilities and an ultimate. Talents simplified, abilities simplified, glyphs removed.

Nah, they've been wanting to prune abilities for years. They probably waited too long as people assume the more buttons on the action bar there are the more 'fun' and 'challenging' it is.

World of Overwatchcraft.

DJIzana

Been thinking about coming back to WoW after I finish playing I Am Setsuna. Playing FFXIV for my current MMO and love the music, story, characters, world and graphics but the gameplay itself leaves me underwhelming.

These class changes in WoW sound great (especially Survival Hunter as I wish FFXIV had a Beast Master but it doesn't).

I hope one day they'll make a WoW 2 or sequel with graphics for the more modern day. I don't mind what we have not and it's not bad by any means but would be nice to see less flat looking, DX9 type textures.

Zackat

I played Arcane mage the whole last expansion. You can still have fun with fewer buttons. Most of this skill bloat you guys want was just that, bloat. I am glad they are reducing skills down so they can add really cool things with the Artifact weapons, and new talents down the line.

Finaj

Been thinking about coming back to WoW after I finish playing I Am Setsuna. Playing FFXIV for my current MMO and love the music, story, characters, world and graphics but the gameplay itself leaves me underwhelming.

These class changes in WoW sound great (especially Survival Hunter as I wish FFXIV had a Beast Master but it doesn't).

I hope one day they'll make a WoW 2 or sequel with graphics for the more modern day. I don't mind what we have not and it's not bad by any means but would be nice to see less flat looking, DX9 type textures.

After the failure of Titan, I don't think Blizzard will make an MMO ever again.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I was curious as well so I found these:

Thanks!

Looking good, I like nice high view distances in my MMOs/open worlds. After Blizz reduced the view distance I'm happy to see they've gone crazy with it.

Aeana

Nah, they've been wanting to prune abilities for years. They probably waited too long as people assume the more buttons on the action bar there are the more 'fun' and 'challenging' it is.
Having to actually make a decision about when to use an ability is definitely more fun than not. I went back to this game in August of last year and I was already surprised at how few abilities I had to play with. If they've pruned even more that's crazy to me.

Top Bottom