• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Legion pre-patch

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'll probably sub again once the Legion event actually starts, kind of weird for it not to start on Tuesday.

Re-subbed last night, got refund tonight. Didn't know it was possible but figured fuck it, you don't ask you don't get.. Basically if you play less than 12 hours in 1 day you can get a refund.

Exact quote from the GM:

you: Out of interest what is the max hours you can play before you can't get a refund?
Kraaxralis: Its around 12 hours gametime in 1 day, or anything over 2 days from purchase basically
Kraaxralis: And only 1 refund per 6 months is possible

Leveling up my Ret Pally from 90 and he's shredding these enemies. Hopefully this lasts

Overall though, on my my 100s, seems like they nerfed the shit out of every class's mobility and survivability. Everything hurts way more, and it takes forever to get anywhere. I'll miss you Pursuit of Justice, Death's Advance, Unholy Presence, Momentum, Aspect of the Cheetah

Blinck

I can't believe they removed traps for all hunter specs except for survival.

It's probably the most baffling and disapoint thing so far for me. It sucks specially for pvp.
That's not pruning, that's just removing valid and fun options from the specs :\

Fjordson

The transmog changes are awesome. You go into SW or Org now and everyone looks unique, it's amazing.
Totally. I love it.

My Warrior is dual wielding the Ahune frostscythe and it looks so bad ass. It's been stuck on my dormant priest for like three years until now. Put it on the mage I'm leveling also.

Lesath

Well after playing around with my 5 level 100s i have problems, my main a destro warlock which i have enjoyed playing with and play well at is a problem, not fun anymore to me. Out of the rest my hunter seems okayish, so i'm kinda worried now. Got a feeling this will be my swansong.

Yep, Warlock is one of the poster children of developer negligence this expansion. You have the raid and dungeon team making encounters that require burst and/or heavy movement, which Affliction and Demonology straight up cannot handle, respectively. RNG secondary resource generation made Affliction in WoD feel un-fun and now has been extended to Destro, and Destro itself has lost a fair bit of its versatility in its ability to straight up deal with encounter mechanics (longer cast times, difficulty in banking Chaos Bolts, talented execute, gutted AoE). Getting of AoEs as a Warlock with any spec requires a heavy investment and buildup (with Affliction requiring the least, but they all require secondary resource buildup and a long cast timer), and by that time monks and death knights have had theirs rolling and cleared out half of mob health already.

Mage is pretty fun now..trying fire mage and it feels pretty good but also fury warrior love the new attack animations.

They did a pretty revision of all classes that feel better and also i do not miss glyphs or other talents ,remember this back in 2005? Yeah fuck that 5 bars full with a warlock no thank you. Same goes towards all other classes there was to much and those old talent tree's they had there charm but also not good in anyway.

newcrit27k0k.jpg

To me a class and build should be meaningful and fun to play with out to much buttons and cooldowns to keep track on.

You're joking, right? A lot of those abilities in those bars were incredibly situational and were pretty much placed there for the hell of it. All you used back then was Shadow Bolt and MAYBE Corruption (the debuff limit can rot in hell), and life tap when you're low on mana. Curse of Elements or Curse of Shadows lasted forever.

finalflame

Gold Member
So, GAF, if I wanna have great PVE experiences that aren't dungeons instead of jumping straight to level 100 or whatever, is this for me? Or is WOW a lost cause for complete newcomers?

atbigelow

Enhancement shaman seems pretty damn cool. Elemental shaman feels like it doesn't quite use maelstrom to its full potential. You need to pick Icefury to really get much use out of it.

Very excited for Legion. I've had to resist plowing too much time into beta; but not enough to get a 101 demon hunter. Which I feel is a bit shallow in rotation, but is a blast double jumping, gliding, and dashing.

So, GAF, if I wanna have great PVE experiences that aren't dungeons instead of jumping straight to level 100 or whatever, is this for me? Or is WOW a lost cause for complete newcomers?

In Legion, there's world quests, class hall quests, etc to do at cap along with an ENTIRE ZONE, arguably the biggest in the game, only for story and PVE gameplay at the end (Suramar) for level 100s.

Wait for Legion. Warlords has nothing for you.

To those saying "I took a ______ hit"

Remember, your artifact adds core ability/abilities. what we have today is not what we will have once Legion rolls out. This is a preview at best.

The problem is that you shouldn't feel bad about your class for 110 levels because the one thing that makes it all come together is locked until you've invested hours and hours into the character. Designing around final builds exclusively has always been an issue with large scale RPGs. If your character doesn't feel good at level 10, 20, 90, or any other level before you reach the 'end game' then there's a good chance that player will never reach the end game because they aren't enjoying their leveling experience.

It's funny to remember that night we wiped non-stop to the same boss for 4 hours straight because of poor mechanics.. it was NOT funny 10 years ago when it was happening. It was frustrating and people logged pissed and threatening to cancel.

And yet, that was the only time in the game's entire history where the player base grew between expansions rather than only spiking during their release. And while you remember 'the struggle', at least you actually remember something. Tell me something that's readily memorable about your time in Pandaria or WoD that remotely compares to the burned in memories of Vanilla and BC? Most players don't have any because those memories are built around the other people you were playing with. Without a strong community, you are relying on content to provide those moments. And that's a losing proposition for both players and content designers.

I mean this is total armchair quarterbacking here. "There are plenty of ambiguous, untried or failed ways to do something to fix this. I'm not going to say any of them but they're there."

It's not really armchair quarterbacking when you're an actual quarterback. (MMO dev for 8 years in systems design) I didn't list a bunch of examples because I didn't want to have the inevitable nitpick fight - which is what always happens when a developer attempts to explain anything to a player. (EDIT: I realize this sounds way more condescending than I meant it to, sorry about that.) The solutions Blizzard provided, and the rest of the industry wholesale copied because most of them are creatively bankrupt, are just one solution. It's not inherently the best solution just because it was implemented in the most popular game. WoW has had a ton a missteps over the years. Missteps that other games have copied. Missteps that other games have had success with when WoW hasn't. LFG, Raid Finder, and Cross-Realm features aren't inherently bad, nor are they inherently good. It depends on the game they are implemented in and the details of their implementation. That said, convenience features like those can and do erode at the base of a server community. And the community is what keeps people playing the game - not a $40 box that makes all the numbers a tad bigger than they were last time.

Trust me, every MMO designer worth a damn knows this. And they do everything they can to try to build a community around their game and within their game. Because that's ultimately what decides whether you are successful or not. You can have garbage gameplay and garbage content compared to another product; but if you establish a community of core players, you will always have steady MAU. Hell, this is true in just about every other genre as well.

But really at the base of it there is a direct contradiction in what you are saying. "Community existed because things sucked. They changed the things that sucked and the community dwindled so now it sucks. The answer was to not make things as good as they are so that the community can suffer together and be stronger."

You are literally creating a no win scenario. Leave the mechanics lacking, create comrardre in the pain. Make the mechanics even better, alter the community/comradre.

You are confusing mechanical refinement of core gameplay with introduction of convenience features. Class changes, combat changes, gameplay changes, etc. don't break your community. They get people all worked up about their character, their class, and their game experience. But they don't encourage people to play solo. They don't encourage people to forego building guilds. They don't encourage people to ignore their server community or reputation. They don't encourage people to refrain from communicating with other players because why bother, you won't ever see them again.

Do you see the difference I'm talking about?

I feel like I'm not playing Wow anymore. The over the top animations, the ugly UI additions, the removing of most flavour and fun abilities. Blegh.

Fjordson

Wat. The new animations are great.

Some of the UI changes are confusingly shit, though. Blizz trying to fix what wasn't broken.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My friends are all getting excited or have all gone back. I'm interested but...I've never had a character to cap and I would be starting from 1. This worth trying at this point? I'm not too sure that I was going to get into Legion considering August has a lot of titles...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My friends are all getting excited or have all gone back. I'm interested but...I've never had a character to cap and I would be starting from 1. This worth trying at this point? I'm not too sure that I was going to get into Legion considering August has a lot of titles...

Legion comes with a free 100 boost

Finaj

With the purchase of Legion, you'll get to boost a character to level 100 for free.

Fjordson

Seriously. So far I'm leaving towards ditching my Prot Paladin main for my Prot Warrior this expansion, in part due to the badass new warrior animations.
Same thing here lol. I started playing my fury warr in the middle of MoP and then focused on him for the entirety of WoD, but I've been leaning towards switching to a mage I just leveled for Legion. Now with the new animations and changes to fury I'm having second thoughts.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
With the purchase of Legion, you'll get to boost a character to level 100 for free.

Yeah, got that part. I just wasn't sure I was going to pick it up to begin with. Throw in the cost of a month (does xpac come with)?

ACE 1991

Been out of the loop for about 5 years, itching for an MMO. What are the general opinions on the gameplay changes? How's PVP in terms of depth, I read they did some ability pruning but leveled the gear playing field.

Mupod

Huh, didn't know about the transmog changes. Makes me want to go DK even more, my Warrior is much older and has a lot of fun stuff like the Arcanite Ripper (if that's even eligible for transmog). Obviously if DKs are garbage tanks in endgame I'll play something else though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What exactly is different about the transmog system now apart from just having easier storage methods?

The most important point is that an item you've looted on a character is now shared across all your account. So if you found a nice looking 2h sword on your Human Warrior, your Orc DK will be able to transmog it.

Also, you won't need to keep the items in your bank or void storage. I freed a lot of space recently.

lazygecko

Does the account-sharing apply even if you've looted an item on a character that can't use it, like a priest looting a paladin setpiece?

Lanrutcon

Does the account-sharing apply even if you've looted an item on a character that can't use it, like a priest looting a paladin setpiece?

Negative.

In order to unlock a transmog you need to have the item in your inventory, be able to equip it and have it be soulbound.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Same thing here lol. I started playing my fury warr in the middle of MoP and then focused on him for the entirety of WoD, but I've been leaning towards switching to a mage I just leveled for Legion. Now with the new animations and changes to fury I'm having second thoughts.
My fury warrior feels like a whirlwind of death now. The brutal animations are awesome.

So to get started and up to date...

It's $20 for the base game.
Then $15 for a sub
The $50 for the pre-purchase of the new expansion.

Am I missing something?

Sojiro84

Neo Member
Loving the wardrobe changes. Anyone know a addon or a macro that equips all equipable gear for me so I can learn the model OR hides the warning that it becomes soulbound?

Been playing my enhancement shaman for a few days now getting used to the big changes, and I'm starting to feel a bit better about it. I still feel like they've removed a lot that made me feel like I was playing a shaman instead of just another melee class. So far the biggest annoyance to me is that Stormbringer only reduces Stormstrike cost by 50%. Sucks to see the proc indicator without being able to actually use Stormstrike. Crash Lightning's graphics and sound are really fucking good.

My assassination rogue seems to be doing more damage soloing with 20 lower item level, though.

Top Bottom