• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

thanks for all the help guys but I give up, guess im just not good enough or am super rusty these days. but i just cba anymore. incenerate/fel breath macro helped a lot...except when the puppies come and i forget and i sick the pitlord on them from incinerate. I tried using a different key for just normal incenerate but I just forget during the chaos. Like i said, im just not that good I guess

oh well

Can a personal friend who has done it do it for you?

I'd volunteer, if so. I actually found myself semi-thrilled by doing it and wouldn't mind another crack, lol.

Which one do you like more, Icecrown or Storm Peaks? I'm skipping Sholazar Basin for 76-78 and doing dungeons instead

I'm also considering skipping the Cataclysm content and doing 80-85 via dungeons while also focusing on leveling my professions

Icecrown hands down. Storm Peaks grants you the foundation of the lore in Ulduar but Icecrown has the best quests of the entire expansion. I assume they tuned down the group quest chains near the midpoint onwards and you can bask in their glory now solo.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Which one do you like more, Icecrown or Storm Peaks? I'm skipping Sholazar Basin for 76-78 and doing dungeons instead

I'm also considering skipping the Cataclysm content and doing 80-85 via dungeons while also focusing on leveling my professions

I like Storm Peaks more because it is full of Titan lore, but that place is FUBAR without a flying mount.

Tamanon

Banned
I think the dungeons really slow down in Cata, plus some of them are actually challenging and you'll wipe more because people queue for them with the bare minimum of gear.:/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the dungeons really slow down in Cata, plus some of them are actually challenging and you'll wipe more because people queue for them with the bare minimum of gear.:/

Yep, unless they've nerfed them significantly (or buffed the crap out of heirloom gear) dungeon leveling in Cata is not advised.

Fjordson

All this talk of warlocks and green fire makes me think I should start leveling one. Only caster I've literally never played. And my friend who mains a Warlock says he's liked what he's seen in the beta.

Yep, unless they've nerfed them significantly (or buffed the crap out of heirloom gear) dungeon leveling in Cata is not advised.

Just looked up all the old dungeons and yep, still too many mechanics per boss and trash that wasn't just a steamroll mass pull for this generation of WoW players. I remember when they did nerf at least the trash in places like Throne of Tides and players still managed to die.

M.D

Icecrown.

I like Storm Peaks better for sure.

Icecrown hands down. Storm Peaks grants you the foundation of the lore in Ulduar but Icecrown has the best quests of the entire expansion. I assume they tuned down the group quest chains near the midpoint onwards and you can bask in their glory now solo.

I like Storm Peaks more because it is full of Titan lore, but that place is FUBAR without a flying mount.

now I can't decide, thx a lot guys! ;p
I'll leaning for Icecrown for no real reason, but we'll see..

The only reason I came up with this idea in the first place is because I hate out-leveling a zone which I like and also heard Cata quests are not that hot, so I thought it would be better if I just dungeon my way through to 85

I won't skip it if that's the case

But who doesn't have a flying mount by then? Everyone buys their first flying mount at 60.

I remember buying one of those used mounts in SP back in wotlk :p

I don't even have gold for Artisan Riding yet, what is this flying mount talk ;p

I'm so lucky to have flight form

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just looked up all the old dungeons and yep, still too many mechanics per boss and trash that wasn't just a steamroll mass pull for this generation of WoW players. I remember when they did nerf at least the trash in places like Throne of Tides and players still managed to die.

It's the classic wow fanbase pendulum.

People say they loved the hard content in Vanilla but wanted it even harder so BC has hard as fuck dungeons and raids.

People say they missed out on a ton of that content and they backtrack a bit in Wrath, which generally has very easy five mans and had piss easy early raids which got progressively harder.

Five man content is too easy, welfare epics, hargle bargle bargle. Cata ends up with 5 man content almost as hard as BC's...but easy raids somehow.

No idea how Pandaland ended up. I'm guessing easy 5 mans though!

TheYanger

People say they loved the hard content in Vanilla but wanted it even harder so BC has hard as fuck dungeons and raids.

People say they missed out on a ton of that content and they backtrack a bit in Wrath, which generally has very easy five mans and had piss easy early raids which got progressively harder.

Five man content is too easy, welfare epics, hargle bargle bargle. Cata ends up with 5 man content almost as hard as BC's...but easy raids somehow.

There is 0 chance that Cata raids were easier than BC raids, especially the launch stuff :p Rag and then Spine is the roughest 1-2 punch in back to back raid tiers ever. And T14 was grueling because the average boss difficulty was so high. Most raids have a lot of REALLY easy bosses and then 1-2 hard ones. T14 had no 'extreme hardest boss ever' boss, but it had a ton of very difficult ones. Nef, Alakir, Conclave, Chogall, Ascendant Council, Sinestra...that stuff was no joke. Nothing in the 'many hundred attempts' range, but all of those bosses were ~100 attempt bosses for the average guild. Then Rag is what I consider the hardest boss of all time (besides broken shit), and Spine was just ridiculous hard prior to the nerfs too. I will say the rest of those zones were both pretty easy though (Baleroc was fun the first week but they nerfed him really quickly).

BC had the backwards design of the hardest non-sunwell bosses being Vashj and Kael, two that you had to kill prior to doing the other half of the expansion. So basically, you kill a bunch of midrange T5 bosses, two hard end bosses, and then steamroll BT and Hyjal. VERY few of those T6 bosses took even my completely midrange average guild more than a couple nights. Really only M'uru and KJ were super hard that expac (and yes, they were very hard, but still).

vocab

All this talk of warlocks and green fire makes me think I should start leveling one. Only caster I've literally never played. And my friend who mains a Warlock says he's liked what he's seen in the beta.

They are the same class, but toned down massively because blizzard let them get out of hand by absurds amount due to dot snapshotting, and other stupid shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I happened to be lucky enough to be in a end game vanilla guild so hard means the bs they put in Naxx where one person lagging slightly meant the whole damn raid was going to die.

I really wish they put it back in, hard as ever. I honestly don't think they have it in them to make something that brutal again.

That experience did sour me on guilds forever. All the drama trying to get that awesome orange weapon...that's gone now and was only useful for a few weeks to begin with.

TheYanger

I happened to be lucky enough to be in a end game vanilla guild so hard means the bs they put in Naxx where one person lagging slightly meant the whole damn raid was going to die.

I really wish they put it back in, hard as ever. I honestly don't think they have it in them to make something that brutal again.

That experience did sour me on guilds forever. All the drama trying to get that awesome orange weapon...that's gone now and was only useful for a few weeks to begin with.

The irony is, as much as Naxx was hard, it's a complete joke to all of the 'hard' stuff that came later.

Draxal

There is 0 chance that Cata raids were easier than BC raids, especially the launch stuff :p Rag and then Spine is the roughest 1-2 punch in back to back raid tiers ever. And T14 was grueling because the average boss difficulty was so high. Most raids have a lot of REALLY easy bosses and then 1-2 hard ones. T14 had no 'extreme hardest boss ever' boss, but it had a ton of very difficult ones. Nef, Alakir, Conclave, Chogall, Ascendant Council, Sinestra...that stuff was no joke. Nothing in the 'many hundred attempts' range, but all of those bosses were ~100 attempt bosses for the average guild. Then Rag is what I consider the hardest boss of all time (besides broken shit), and Spine was just ridiculous hard prior to the nerfs too. I will say the rest of those zones were both pretty easy though (Baleroc was fun the first week but they nerfed him really quickly).

BC had the backwards design of the hardest non-sunwell bosses being Vashj and Kael, two that you had to kill prior to doing the other half of the expansion. So basically, you kill a bunch of midrange T5 bosses, two hard end bosses, and then steamroll BT and Hyjal. VERY few of those T6 bosses took even my completely midrange average guild more than a couple nights. Really only M'uru and KJ were super hard that expac (and yes, they were very hard, but still).

Wasn't Gruul prenerf (farming nerf included) guild crushers?

TheYanger

Wasn't Gruul prenerf (farming nerf included) guild crushers?

Gruul was nerfed before the vast majority of guilds were even attempting him, but he wasn't THAT bad. He was basically designed like complete bullshit, and you could cheese it in a lot of ways. The fixed some of the cheese and ALSO nerfed him at the same time (Purification flasks, certain spots you could stand, etc). We still always did him with a very rigid positioning strat but they made him super manageable quickly. Magtheridon was absolutely harder even pre-nerf.

ampere

The irony is, as much as Naxx was hard, it's a complete joke to all of the 'hard' stuff that came later.

Would you say OG Naxx was more hard in preparation and logistics vs execution difficulty in Rag/Lei Shen type fights? Plus nowhere near the level of addon/fansite resources available today.

That's what it seems like to me, looking back. But I didn't raid at all in Vanilla/BC.

TheYanger

Would you say OG Naxx was more hard in preparation and logistics vs execution difficulty in Rag/Lei Shen type fights? Plus nowhere near the level of addon/fansite resources available today.

That's what it seems like to me, looking back. But I didn't raid at all in Vanilla/BC.

Sure. I mean 4 horseman for instance is NOTHING compared to what we do now, but the precise positioning and rotation of groups and void zones being a brand new mechanic make that a super complicated fight - the execution of it was actually really easy once you had that down though. People spent forever just figuring out how to do it in the first place. Same for like KT, which I didn't do when it was current to be fair, but the hardest aspects of that fight were all bullshit you needed contingency plans to cover - super redundant kick rotations in case of MCs, redundant tanks in case of Tank MCs, etc.

Fjordson

They are the same class, but toned down massively because blizzard let them get out of hand by absurds amount due to dot snapshotting, and other stupid shit.
So is that...a good thing? Sorry, pretty clueless when it comes to locks :p my friend just seemed pretty excited.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pre-Ulduar raids are a lot of memorizing where to be and what to bring. Part gear check/part memory. There was very little... chaos, compared to the stuff that came after. Everything seemed pretty predictable, you just had to make sure your people were prepared enough with their drinks/mana cds/threat CDs to deal with it.

I mean, shit look at Heigan or Horsemen compared to Paragons.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So is that...a good thing? Sorry, pretty clueless when it comes to locks :p my friend just seemed pretty excited.

Yeah locks are still mostly the same badass dudes in WoD that they have been.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sure. I mean 4 horseman for instance is NOTHING compared to what we do now, but the precise positioning and rotation of groups and void zones being a brand new mechanic make that a super complicated fight - the execution of it was actually really easy once you had that down though. People spent forever just figuring out how to do it in the first place. Same for like KT, which I didn't do when it was current to be fair, but the hardest aspects of that fight were all bullshit you needed contingency plans to cover - super redundant kick rotations in case of MCs, redundant tanks in case of Tank MCs, etc.

Yep. KT was a fight where you could still lose because of random fuckery even if you did everything "perfectly"

Each stepping stone in Naxx was like a giant boulder that you'd pound away at week after week only to reveal another larger ass boulder right behind it.

Also to be frank the classes have changed so much since then and have so much utility and less crap that they couldn't make fights as "simple" as these ones anymore without making them impossible.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Gruul was nerfed before the vast majority of guilds were even attempting him, but he wasn't THAT bad. He was basically designed like complete bullshit, and you could cheese it in a lot of ways. The fixed some of the cheese and ALSO nerfed him at the same time (Purification flasks, certain spots you could stand, etc). We still always did him with a very rigid positioning strat but they made him super manageable quickly. Magtheridon was absolutely harder even pre-nerf.

I love cheesing raids for some reason. The feeling of thinking outside the box is fantastic.

When Twin valkyrs in TOC could just be tanked on top of eachother at the door and there was no silly orb business anymore, I loved that.

especially since it dropped my awesome trinket.

I can't remember a single dangerous trash pull in Mists 5-mans outside of CMs. Early on mobs had a shitton of health for the amount of DPS early groups could put out but long fights never felt like they required much attention or learning. Bosses were a joke. My first Siege group didn't understand how to use the bombs on Pa'valak and we just took 10 minutes to kill him. Nobody was ever in any danger.

TheYanger

I love cheesing raids for some reason. The feeling of thinking outside the box is fantastic.

When Twin valkyrs in TOC could just be tanked on top of eachother at the door and there was no silly orb business anymore, I loved that.

especially since it dropped my awesome trinket.

I like things that are hard but make a broken fight doable...I don't like cheap strats like the door strat on twins. :( Soaking orbs and doing that correctly was a shitload of fun, door strat was just 'hit CDs at the right time and tank and spank". I refused to do it in my guild when people wanted to, consider it an exploit that they were just too lazy to try and fix :/

Like, petrification pots on Gruul were an exploit for sure, don't get me wrong, that's why they got fixed too. But the fight was also flat out overtuned.

I can't remember a single dangerous trash pull in Mists 5-mans outside of CMs. Early on mobs had a shitton of health for the amount of DPS early groups could put out but long fights never felt like they required much attention or learning. Bosses were a joke. My first Siege group didn't understand how to use the bombs on Pa'valak and we just took 10 minutes to kill him. Nobody was ever in any danger.

Yeah, Mists didn't try to be hard - heroic replaced normal, and challenge modes were to fulfill the 'I want hard 5 man content" crowd. There were no normal max level dungeons, so heroics are literally the first thing you do upon hitting cap.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of my favorite things about CMs was figuring out all the ways to do them faster. Like, one group I ran on SPM. We got to that last bridge before you get to Taran Zhu. And I can't remember what the tank and healer did, I think they used a soulstone and killed themselves or something to get to the other side of the trash blocking the bridge. Then me and the two other DPS cast water walking on a three person mount, ran on the water and the Priest yanked us through up to the bridge so we could skip purifying those mobs.

Or even stuff like pulling all the water guys and killing them while you wait for the RP in TJS

Edit: And Ashran is the most fun I've had in PVP in a long time. It's actually the most fun I've had in beta. Obviously it's chaotic and nowhere near balanced, but it's so fun. Kind of feels like a MOBA mixed with WoW but done right. Like a non-shitty AV.

Nokterian

Man the new login screen is something magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOovc5OtCs0

Also my warlock finally is up to speed with some awesome gear. Going to go a bit further then i can i hope do the green fire quest first boss and then the last one i hope.

the bolded part seems like a mistake. I've done the quest on 2 locks and never did that, I keep my pit lord far away untill 3 dogs are dead.

Wait you can do it with 2 locks? I never knew that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man the new login screen is something magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOovc5OtCs0

Also my warlock finally is up to speed with some awesome gear. Going to go a bit further then i can i hope do the green fire quest first boss and then the last one i hope.

Wait you can do it with 2 locks? I never knew that.
Whoa, whoa, 10:45. That was the best theme from Warcraft III. What an unexpectedly awesome remix. Holy shit, I am so excited right now.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Anyone got an addon to track battle pet prices cross server?

Trying to move some gold around with battle pets and want to keep track of this so I don't accidentally fuck myself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WC3 part always makes me cry

Always

Always

Always

Touchdown

Banned
Anyone have an extra beta key the could spare me? I would love you forever!!!!!

iie0fsneH732i.gif

Magnus

Anyone else getting the WoD CE? Love Blizzard CE's, and mousepads. My MoP mousepad needs to be retired.

Yep!

I have Wrath CE onwards, and most of the innards (not the box :( ) for BC. I deeply regret not getting the Vanilla one now, but I wasn't playing back in 2004 (only 2005).

Alas.

Love the Making-Ofs, the Blurays, the art books, the soundtracks, so good.

RPGCrazied

Yep!

I have Wrath CE onwards, and most of the innards (not the box :( ) for BC. I deeply regret not getting the Vanilla one now, but I wasn't playing back in 2004 (only 2005).

Alas.

Love the Making-Ofs, the Blurays, the art books, the soundtracks, so good.

I'm only missing Wrath's. :( Guess I'm not getting it, not spending $400+ on it. Lol.

Magnus

I'm only missing Wrath's. :( Guess I'm not getting it, not spending $400+ on it. Lol.

Jesus. Is that how much it's worth? I see Cataclysm's on sale regularly for $60-90 at retail, even this week. Didn't think Wrath was that much.

I mean, I love it and all, but would sell for that price. Doubt that's for opened copies though, lol.

RPGCrazied

Jesus. Is that how much it's worth? I see Cataclysm's on sale regularly for $60-90 at retail, even this week. Didn't think Wrath was that much.

I mean, I love it and all, but would sell for that price. Doubt that's for opened copies though, lol.

Yeah, cause its out of print. Might not even be sealed copies and the pet code used. I doubt there is sealed copies out there. I wish Blizzard would reprint CE's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom