• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying in AH is out of the question, barely enough gold in my account, I can't even break the 15-20k gold wall. Besides there's barely anything in the AH

yeah, might as well listen to some music

Magnus

wtf is this Battle net queue bullshit

Picked a hell of a day to reinstall Windows and have to start fresh...no Blizzard gaming on my main PC for now.

But once it's up and running again - SSD + 64-bit Windows 7 (with a now fully recognized 4gb of RAM instead of 3.25 or whatever) = smoother gameplay experience hopefully!

Is the 64bit client better?

Kraftwerk

So, LizardSquad is challenging sodapoppin to write LIZARDSQUAD on his foreheaed with a sharpie, or they will keep doing this for tonight. They also just Ddos'd his twitch stream since he was ignoring them.

Fucking assholes.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, I'm knocked off the launcher but logged in and changed servers/continents just fine after going through the regular WoW program.

Fjordson

So, LizardSquad is challenging sodapoppin to write LIZARDSQUAD on his foreheaed with a sharpie, or they will keep doing this for tonight. They also just Ddos'd his twitch stream since he was ignoring them.

Fucking assholes.
They were doing it to another big streamer the other night. Xaryu. Pretty annoying.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
My first attempt at a more clean UI
VjGCTst.jpg

lazygecko

Wish they'd bring back the old cape variants that just barely reach below shoulder level. For some unexplainable reason, at some point Blizzard decided to retroactively edit all old capes to not look like that anymore. IIRC there is one single cape which still has that model, and I think it was one of the quest rewards in Feralas.

I've been playing 4 hours straight, and i'm almost 87, i don't know if i'll be able to check out the dungeons and raids with these 3 days, i guess i'll buy subscription next month.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kind of hate overly designed capes. I either don't display a cloak, or I use the DK cape starting zone one. The dark purple cloak because it's nice and simple.

Ultratech

I kind of hate overly designed capes. I either don't display a cloak, or I use the DK cape starting zone one. The dark purple cloak because it's nice and simple.

For me, I guess it depends on what set I'm using it with.

For my DK, I've been turning it off, and it doesn't look bad.

I really hated most of the Cata cloaks though.

Lots of awful or ugly designs.

MoP had some pretty neat-looking ones.

Wow, that's awesome.

I'm trying to stay motivated to level my Warlock to 90 without a boost. I have full heirlooms so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Heirlooms are such a must. Another thing I did to make leveling faster is any class that can heal or tank, I would spec tank/heal for instant queues for dungeons. Instant queues + full heirlooms is crazy fast leveling. That's why I'd never pay $60 or whatever it is for a premade. For your lock, either befriend a tank or healer leveling with you, or in some cases, soloing can be faster if the random dungeon queues are too long.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never use cloaks. Then again I only play draeneis and their tails make cloaks look weird, and worgen who have tiny cloaks for some reason

Corsick

Does faction population balance matter at all anymore? Was thinking of starting over on a PVE server (Proudmoore most likely) and realized I couldn't remember since cross realm PVP/PVE was implemented. Proudmoore is hugely alliance tilted in population and it made me wonder if that is a warning flag or irrelevant.

Fjordson

Does faction population balance matter at all anymore? Was thinking of starting over on a PVE server (Proudmoore most likely) and realized I couldn't remember since cross realm PVP/PVE was implemented. Proudmoore is hugely alliance tilted in population and it made me wonder if that is a warning flag or irrelevant.
If you're wanting to join the larger faction on a realm, then not really in my opinion. My server (Sargeras) is one of the biggest alliance servers in the US, but barely has any horde. 186,000 to 22,000 according to realm pop. Yet it never really comes into play. The high pop is great since it makes for a healthy economy and there are tons of groups forming all the time for various types of content, and the old zones are filled with horde if I ever feel like PvP'ing thanks to cross realm.

The ideal would be a balanced server, but I don't think it means much these days. Especially if you want to join a PvE server and don't really care about PvP outside of arenas and battlegrounds.

Now if you meant you want to go horde on an alliance dominated server then I'd be cautious simply because it could make it difficult to find groups for stuff and the AH may be lacking.

mclem

A heroic progression advice query:

Our guild is soldiering slowly through heroics; we did Norushen first, then Galakras, then Immerseus and finally Protectors. And now we're wondering what to do next. The logical choice is Sha of Pride to fill in that gap, but there's reasonable reasons not to do that.

Y'see, one of the things we're very weak at as a guild is personal responsibility. There's usually going to be one or two people in a given raid who simply cannot be relied upon to react to a situation that requires them to do something specific unexpectedly. It's why of those four, it's Immerseus which tends to be the toughest for us - They're the ones who kill themselves from the debuff, the ones who end up out of range of healers when everyone else has moved on, the ones who end up isolated around the back during the slime phase.

If it's something planned, it's not so bad; they're fine when taking the Marks of Anguish, and I co-ordinate the interrupts on the fly on Protectors, and they're okay with doing the Test Realm stuff on Norushen because it runs to a reliable schedule.

Replacing them, alas, is simply not viable; we're trying to bolster up in preparation for Warlords, but the people we're getting are far behind in gear terms.

So the question is: What heroic bosses remain that don't spread the personal responsibility around so much, but can isolate it on a few specific people that we can control and rely upon?

lazygecko

Sexy, can you share your addons?

I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary. The screenshot is from like 2009 so it's been half a decade. Either Stuf or Pitbull for the unit frames. Probably Prat for chat. TipTac for tooltips and Satrina Buff Frames (which has been discontinued for years now). Minimap is Chinchilla I think? Dominos with Masque for action bars. Then I used kgPanels for the finishing touches, by adding background borders for the chatbox and buff icon row. I even made a dummy background panel for the target unit frame so it didn't leave a blank space when I wasn't targeting anything, cause I'm OCD like that.

God knows how I managed to make kgPanels do that, cause I cannot figure out how to use it today.

Magnus

Our guild is soldiering slowly through heroics; we did Norushen first, then Galakras, then Immerseus and finally Protectors. And now we're wondering what to do next. The logical choice is Sha of Pride to fill in that gap, but there's reasonable reasons not to do that.

Y'see, one of the things we're very weak at as a guild is personal responsibility. There's usually going to be one or two people in a given raid who simply cannot be relied upon to react to a situation that requires them to do something specific unexpectedly. It's why of those four, it's Immerseus which tends to be the toughest for us - They're the ones who kill themselves from the debuff, the ones who end up out of range of healers when everyone else has moved on, the ones who end up isolated around the back during the slime phase.

If it's something planned, it's not so bad; they're fine when taking the Marks of Anguish, and I co-ordinate the interrupts on the fly on Protectors, and they're okay with doing the Test Realm stuff on Norushen because it runs to a reliable schedule.

Replacing them, alas, is simply not viable; we're trying to bolster up in preparation for Warlords, but the people we're getting are far behind in gear terms.

So the question is: What heroic bosses remain that don't spread the personal responsibility around so much, but can isolate it on a few specific people that we can control and rely upon?

I just flashed back to hardcore raiding days pre-Cata and got queasy. Ugh. I know exactly what you mean by failing to have personal responsibility. Silence on Vent when the RL tried to suss out what was happening in an encounter. Some people were the worst.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I got a free week and started playing last night (haven't played since hitting 90) should I be going to both the Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle? I don't really know the difference between them and what came first/second.

My item level is like 462 or something so I can only queue for the first two raids, I'd like to get that up a bit with quest rewards or something.

Felspawn

Heirlooms are such a must. Another thing I did to make leveling faster is any class that can heal or tank, I would spec tank/heal for instant queues for dungeons. Instant queues + full heirlooms is crazy fast leveling. That's why I'd never pay $60 or whatever it is for a premade. For your lock, either befriend a tank or healer leveling with you, or in some cases, soloing can be faster if the random dungeon queues are too long.

Leveling up in the new post cataclysm levels isnt too bad, but once you hit outland, oh yeah those heirlooms are a MUST.

Felspawn

I got a free week and started playing last night (haven't played since hitting 90) should I be going to both the Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle? I don't really know the difference between them and what came first/second.

My item level is like 462 or something so I can only queue for the first two raids, I'd like to get that up a bit with quest rewards or something.

if you want to try to do the legendary cloak quest then yeah you'll end up on the Isle of Thunder eventually. Timeless Isle is worth a visit because it'll gear you up. (better then 462) and it just is one of the cooler places blizzard has made

dave is ok

aztek is ok
if you want to try to do the legendary cloak quest then yeah you'll end up on the Isle of Thunder eventually. Timeless Isle is worth a visit because it'll gear you up. (better then 462) and it just is one of the cooler places blizzard has made
Which island does the warlock green fire quest starter drop? I guess I'll start that too

StMeph

Timeless Isle first. It's easier to get caught up and get ilevel 496 / 535 gear, as well as accumulate some Lesser Charms to turn in for Warforged Seals. If you pursue the legendary cloak, the questline will take you to Isle of Thunder, but the place is not very useful to you outside of that questline.

If your goals are to gear up, then do Timeless -> whatever raid tier you qualify for -> get into SoO as soon as possible. LFR is ilevel 528, and from there you can keep going on to Flex (540) or Normal (553) if you want. If you want to raid and get ilevels faster, also get the 553 BOE crafted belt. Do Celestials weekly, as they're world bosses on Timeless Isle that drop Normal-quality tier gloves and legs and current-tier PvP items (550). You could also grind Honor for 522, or Conquest for 550s.

Only Flex or higher Garrosh kills give a chance to drop heirlooms, and it's personal loot, even in Normal or Heroic. Rerolls don't apply to that drop chance.

Felspawn

Which island does the warlock green fire quest starter drop? I guess I'll start that too

it drops on the isle of thunder off rare mobs (only if you are a warlock) i have to admit i tried farming that thing for a few weeks but eventually gave up when i saw the book for sale for 5k. (cheaper then the 8+k i had seen it on the AH for) Sad thing is? i still havent beaten that last scenario, that guy kicks my ass :(

Magnus

I really wish they'd adjust the xp rewards for zones to allow people to stay in a zone for 2-5 levels without any penalty (and by penalty, I mean losing out on higher xp rewards for moving to a new zone appropriate for your level). That way, as I level an alt, I could choose to stay in, say, Terrokar Forest or Borean Tundra and complete all the quests there instead of feeling forced to keep moving to a new zone as soon as I ding.

As a result, I don't think I've actually seen the back half of quests for any zone at all in the game (except for pre-Cata Vanilla, which no longer exists). I'm sure I'm missing out on tons of quest chains.

Why can't quests reward a % of a level, instead of a flat amount? That way you could pick and choose which quests you do instead of suffering a flat amount.

I realize I can just stay in a zone and still get some xp for the quests, but yeah. No thanks. With as long as it takes to get to 90, I'd really rather not shoot myself in the foot. And yes, even at 3-5 days /played to get to 90, that's a very significant chunk of time no matter how you slice it (making the $60 boost a steal, really).

ampere

My first attempt at a more clean UI

I like it! I always have my player and target frame in that general area. Really dislike the default upper left. When I first started playing the game my health would be out of my peripheral vision and I'd die often due to just not knowing my health was getting low. Sounds stupid, but that was something I had to adjust to :). Was pretty happy when I learned there are player/target frame addons that can move, and was really happy when Blizzard made those frames movable as part of the stock UI.

I empathize with your attempts to find a suitable boss for such a group... but modern raiding in general is all about personal responsibility. 1 absentminded player can wipe the raid on a large number of bosses in a given tier.

That being said... you may want to try Iron Juggernaut if you absolutely won't do Sha. The core of the fight is tanks swapping at 3 stacks of a debuff and then alternating detonating 3 mines (a dps can help with a mine with a suitable CD). The raid in this phase just needs to avoid the cutters and ground effect missile markers. During the other phase it's just about good healing CDs, not running fire into oil, and getting the bombs detonated.

Neither fight is too difficult, but Sha really is easier. There's just no way around doing fights with on the fly personal responsibility if you want to keep doing heroic bosses.

If its pvp server, you'll be killed relentlessly in daily areas and you won't really accomplish much. There's also a dead auction house but that's being changed in WoD. Also the problem of finding guilds to raid with. I'd suggest going with the more populated faction, blizzard doesn't really seem interested in fixing local zoning pvp play, in fact timeless isle has a mechanic that lets you kill your own faction.

Felspawn

I'm on Sentinels which was originally a pretty backwater RP server but since merging with Steamweedle Cartel and Kirin-Tor is actually really nice now. Not to empty not to packed. I like it.

Dinjooh

it drops on the isle of thunder off rare mobs (only if you are a warlock) i have to admit i tried farming that thing for a few weeks but eventually gave up when i saw the book for sale for 5k. (cheaper then the 8+k i had seen it on the AH for) Sad thing is? i still havent beaten that last scenario, that guy kicks my ass :(

I usually go kill all of them if I get up exceptionally early in the morning. Maybe i've been lucky but i've gotten 5 from about 40 kills or so.

I too haven't completed the last scenario. I'm sure I can do it, I just.. mjeh, cba.

mclem

That being said... you may want to try Iron Juggernaut if you absolutely won't do Sha. The core of the fight is tanks swapping at 3 stacks of a debuff and then alternating detonating 3 mines (a dps can help with a mine with a suitable CD). The raid in this phase just needs to avoid the cutters and ground effect missile markers. During the other phase it's just about good healing CDs, not running fire into oil, and getting the bombs detonated.

Not sure what you're describing there is different from normal, although I suspect we'll probably need to be better at grouping the mines than we currently are (that said, I'm one of the tanks, and I'm quite good at chasing them down rapidly)

Neither fight is too difficult, but Sha really is easier. There's just no way around doing fights with on the fly personal responsibility if you want to keep doing heroic bosses.

I know that, I'm just trying to wean them up gently :)

I think I *want* to do Sha, personally, and I do think it's the right choice, but there's some support for Shammies and/or Nazgrim, neither of which I've really looked into (although I'm aware Shammies is often somewhat cheesed with a third tank)

Tacitus_

Not sure what you're describing there is different from normal, although I suspect we'll probably need to be better at grouping the mines than we currently are (that said, I'm one of the tanks, and I'm quite good at chasing them down rapidly)

I think I *want* to do Sha, personally, and I do think it's the right choice, but there's some support for Shammies and/or Nazgrim, neither of which I've really looked into (although I'm aware Shammies is often somewhat cheesed with a third tank)

The cheese strategy is to go hide in a corner during the siege phase so you don't have to dodge the colossal amount of shit he throws at you during it. So you need a lot more DPS, and it's quite a check on healers as well.

And you will want a third tank for shammies. It's such a pain in the ass otherwise.

Nazgrim... well the main difference is that tanks need to defend against a special attack that will otherwise kill them. Oh and if you stand in the afterquakes of his leap, you will die and make him gain a shitload of rage, which will make him kill your raid when you're learning him.

Felspawn

So WoD is out, whats everyone leveling first? I'm having my eternal struggle of Do i level my DK? or my Paladin? I can just never decide.

Magnus

So WoD is out, whats everyone leveling first? I'm having my eternal struggle of Do i level my DK? or my Paladin? I can just never decide.

My main bro, my Priest. We've been through too much together.

As a class, I've been with it since late Vanilla, when I rolled my original Dwarf for the almighty Fear Ward. As a character, my current main has been with me since early Wrath, when I rerolled human so my gear wouldn't look mostly terrible (as it tends to on shorter characters) and because I liked the racials/lore better for humans. And as a Blood Elf Priest, it's been since early 5.0, when I transferred to a high-pop Horde server and race-changed my human to a Blood Elf male - so sexy.

On this class, I've earned the Amani War Bear on the ZA timed run, and Vala'nyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings, when I led healers as an officer in my old guild - two of the best memories I've had with this game.

Gotta be my priest going into the next expansion, much as I'm miffed about how its various roles are being nerfed and changed. Seems like over the years, the Priest has been ignored or dumped on the most. Alas. :(

Felspawn

My main bro, my Priest. We've been through too much together.

As a class, I've been with it since late Vanilla, when I rolled my original Dwarf for the almighty Fear Ward. As a character, my current main has been with me since early Wrath, when I rerolled human so my gear wouldn't look mostly terrible (as it tends to on shorter characters) and because I liked the racials/lore better for humans. And as a Blood Elf Priest, it's been since early 5.0, when I transferred to a high-pop Horde server and race-changed my human to a Blood Elf male - so sexy.

On this class, I've earned the Amani War Bear on the ZA timed run, and Vala'nyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings, when I led healers as an officer in my old guild - two of the best memories I've had with this game.

Gotta be my priest going into the next expansion, much as I'm miffed about how its various roles are being nerfed and changed. Seems like over the years, the Priest has been ignored or dumped on the most. Alas. :(

My Time with Nightsbane my paladin started at launch of Vanilla, rolled a paladin because of WC3 and the games lore. a compete noob to MMOs in general i learned that hard way that Hybrids were a dirty word back then and that the game didnt care if you wanted to swing a 2hander and smite evil, you get to cleanse in MC/BWL.

in Frustration i rolled Felspawn (this is around the end Vanilla when the Sentinels server was created, i re-rolled Human Warlock) i played through most of TBC with my warlock which i enjoyed though i still missed melee.

Along comes Wrath and it seems my prayers were answered, a character that is essentually a combination of Paladin and Warlock? and i dont even need to start at level 1? Yes please. Lightsbane the DK has been my main ever since. Having said that i never really stopped playing my pally, even when my warlock was my main id still tank Heroic Shattered halls and quest for the Shattered Sun Offensive....

by Wrath Paladins were actually a pretty damn good class, which is why i started trying to do whatever i did on the DK on the Pally (this was before achievements went account wide. Even now in MoP they have almost the same ilevel and the same stuff done, (hell my pally killed Garrosh , my DK has not gotten around to it) Makes me wonder if with WoD i should just focus on the paladin.....

Magnus

My Time with Nightsbane my paladin started at launch of Vanilla, rolled a paladin because of WC3 and the games lore. a compete noob to MMOs in general i learned that hard way that Hybrids were a dirty word back then and that the game didnt care if you wanted to swing a 2hander and smite evil, you get to cleanse in MC/BWL.

in Frustration i rolled Felspawn (this is around the end Vanilla when the Sentinels server was created, i re-rolled Human Warlock) i played through most of TBC with my warlock which i enjoyed though i still missed melee.

Along comes Wrath and it seems my prayers were answered, a character that is essentually a combination of Paladin and Warlock? and i dont even need to start at level 1? Yes please. Lightsbane the DK has been my main ever since. Having said that i never really stopped playing my pally, even when my warlock was my main id still tank Heroic Shattered halls and quest for the Shattered Sun Offensive....

by Wrath Paladins were actually a pretty damn good class, which is why i started trying to do whatever i did on the DK on the Pally (this was before achievements went account wide. Even now in MoP they have almost the same ilevel and the same stuff done, (hell my pally killed Garrosh , my DK has not gotten around to it) Makes me wonder if with WoD i should just focus on the paladin.....

My first main was my Paladin. I still have a super huge sweet spot for the guy, even if the class is unrecognizable from what it was in Vanilla. (for the better!)

Both Paladin and DK are very attractive to me; I dig plate, I dig swords and shields, I dig the art for their gear, I dig the idea of big ass warriors still using magical powers. I just don't like melee/hitboxes in this game. It all feels terrible to me. I like to see my character in relation to what's happening on the battlefield. Ranged dps and healing has been my go-to as a result.

But damn if I don't want to try getting more into my Paladin (90) and DK (68) some more.

Here's where I am now:

Priest - 90 main (my bro)
Warlock - 90 alt (so much fun; boosted it to 90 and did the green fire quest right away, and fell in love with some of the advanced mechanics the class gets to play with; have yet to try Demo; turning into a demon sounds awesome)
Paladin - 90 alt (old main)
Mage - 90 alt (loved the time-flavoured spells in Cata; how are they now?)
Warrior - 86 (big, strong, crazy Tauren)
Druid - 86 (dig the healing style; almost too easy; boomkin is boring; haven't tried feral/guardian yet)
Shaman - 82 (totems sucked pre-Cata, which is the last time I really played this guy much; have things improved? only really Resto'd)
Priest - 80 (old main - I hope whatever class they come up with next mandates that you sacrifice an existing high-level character; I have this extra Priest ready to go!)
Death Knight - 68 (I dig it)
Hunter - 65 (I dig it - shit dies so fast)
Monk - 55 (been kind of hard to get into, but it's the new hotness so I persisted - tried out all three specs so far; Brewmaster's fun; mostly healing now)
Rogue - 24 (try as I might, I can't seem to really get into this class; this is like my fifth attempt at a rogue; does it ever get more interesting than stab stab stab? (for pve) I'm terrible at being stealthy; what's the allure? If I'm going to melee shit to death, I'm more interested in one of the plate classes)

Before y'all think I'm too crazy with so many characters:

The only classes on this list that are at the level they're at without the use of RAF, Scroll boosts or Purchased boosts are the Paladin at 90, the Mage at 90, my first Priest at 80, the DK at 68 (but lol hero class), the Monk (but lol xp daily boost) and the Rogue (lol 24).

Even my main (a human reroll back in Wrath) was RAF'd to 60 first. The hell if I was going to level a second priest from scratch....pre-heirlooms or BC nerf. Haha.

Salamando

My Night Elf priest. Rolled her a few months after launch, as she's been my main-main ever since. Well, except for early-wrath when I went Elemental shammy. Completed Anathema/Benediction when it was current content, acquired Dragonwrath, and so much more.

Fjordson

I'm also not totally sure. Until about a month ago I probably would have said my hunter that I've been playing since Wrath, but I feel like playing a caster for some reason.

Really enjoying leveling my warlock at the moment, so I'm actually leaning towards that.

TheYanger

DK is my main, will be my first.
Was a rogue until Wrath, swapped to DK the first day because all of our tanks sucked so I knew I'd have to do it (Had a warrior alt in BC and realized tanking wasn't hard and ours were just bad).

Alts are always a distant second to main.

Magnus

DK is my main, will be my first.
Was a rogue until Wrath, swapped to DK the first day because all of our tanks sucked so I knew I'd have to do it (Had a warrior alt in BC and realized tanking wasn't hard and ours were just bad).

Alts are always a distant second to main.

Hahaha, amazing. A guild friend back in the day did and said the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom