• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

I don't like how turalyon doesn't evne attempt to sound similar to WC2.

10 last week and for the near future is the same as +15 was before, in the sense that it's the highest you need to do. They squished the difficulty down. This is the second time they've done it this expansion. So a +10 last week got you a 935 today. Or anything higher also got you an M10 935. But starting today an M10 is just as hard as a 15 was before, maybe harder idk. But not much.
Wouldn't the way it scales make a 10 today about a 12 yesterday?

Edit: nope, I was mathing incorrectly.

Magnus

That new cutscene, good lord. Nice surprise.

The music in 7.3 is great too. I wish 7.2 had this kind of content quality behind it.

Also, I'll still be forever salty about Arthas' voice actor from WC3 never returning. :( I thought it might have been the same actor in Wrath of the Lich King for some scenes, like his 'death' scene, but it seems it wasn't? There's yet another new actor now when you play as Arthas in Hearthstone. Doesn't sound right at all. :(

Jag

This Argus intro is going to get real boring by the 7th or 8th alt. But I gotta get all my profession alts run through it.

Fjordson

10 last week and for the near future is the same as +15 was before, in the sense that it's the highest you need to do. They squished the difficulty down. This is the second time they've done it this expansion. So a +10 last week got you a 935 today. Or anything higher also got you an M10 935. But starting today an M10 is just as hard as a 15 was before, maybe harder idk. But not much.
Oh okay, gotcha.

Well shit, guess I won't be getting into +10's anymore.

Shahadan

I realized 7.3 is the first major final patch to not add anything to the overall game systems

3.3 was the dungeon finder
4.3 was LFR and transmog (and void storage)
5.4 was flexible raids
even 6.2 introduced timewalking and Mythic dungeons

7.3 has nothing. Pretty weird.

TheYanger

If that bothered you, Grom Hellscream must have driven you crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgteUAI4tZo

Yeah, marginally, but Grom's voice was really a joke in WC2, as coola s it was I wasn't surprised that he sounded completely different since ACTUAL dialogue from his OG voice would've been unbearable and insane sounding.

But Turalyon always sounded totally fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5JVJq5UlU

I realized 7.3 is the first major final patch to not add anything to the overall game systems

5.4 was flexible raids

Burning Crusade had nothing either. Fitting for Legion to follow suit.

Jag

5.4 was flexible raids

New travel system. Teleportation. Spaceships. New planet?

cdyhybrid

5.4 was flexible raids

Legion added all that at the start, which is probably the way it should be. World quests, level scaling, Mythic+

According to [URL="https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/6wslaz/undocumented_changes_73/[/URL]this undocumented changes[/URL] thread on Reddit, only 50 sentinax marks are needed for that part of the quest chain. And one of those "kill 100 demons" parts has been reduced to 50 as well, and eight world quests instead of twelve.

LOL:

A4teAtR.png

Had this one. Trying for the pets ;_;

Maybe I'll get more mounts this week though. If only you could sell mounts like this.

Magnus

lol, this game. I'm dropping to like, 13 fps on the Vindicaar. I decided to try dropping Graphics Settings to 1 (one) and disable all addons. Still only 27 fps. Crazy. I do a solid 60fps in most places in the game (except Suramar, haha).

Man.

Anyone else getting poor performance? I'm running a pretty great rig here.

i5-6500 @3.2GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

I should SMOKE this game, no?

Magnus

5.4 was flexible raids

They'll reveal at Blizzcon that 7.3 ISN'T the final major patch.

M-Night-Shyamalan-.jpg

Nicolada

7.3 is pretty great so far. Already feels more packed than Broken Shore. Loved the cutscene, Turalyon's immediate reaction to Illidan being Illidan was badass.

Fjordson

5.4 was flexible raids

I think like cd said they just frontloaded it a bit more. Mythic+ and world quests are pretty big.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol, this game. I'm dropping to like, 13 fps on the Vindicaar. I decided to try dropping Graphics Settings to 1 (one) and disable all addons. Still only 27 fps. Crazy. I do a solid 60fps in most places in the game (except Suramar, haha).

Man.

i5-6500 @3.2GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

I run a 6700 and a 1080 and I would hardly say it smokes the game normally. I mean, I get like 90 FPS in largely empty zones but it's a pretty blatantly overpowered rig, so I would have thought it would be higher.

Man.

i5-6500 @3.2GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

I haven't gone to the new areas yet, so I can't fully compare. However from what I understand WoW has always been more CPU bound. You're only running an i5. Maybe an i7 or just a higher clock would improve performance? Not sure how old that processor is.

Fjordson

I run a 6700 and a 1080 and I would hardly say it smokes the game normally. I mean, I get like 90 FPS in largely empty zones but it's a pretty blatantly overpowered rig, so I would have thought it would be higher.
Yeah, I've never run the game at well as I would think just going by my specs on my last few rigs.

Magnus

I haven't gone to the new areas yet, so I can't fully compare. However from what I understand WoW has always been more CPU bound. You're only running an i5. Maybe an i7 or just a higher clock would improve performance? Not sure how old that processor is.

That's disheartening... the common wisdom anywhere you look (including my boyfriend, who lives/breathes hardware and tech, largely due to his job) was that an i5 vs an i7 wasn't going to make much of a difference at all, and that the GPU was the big component to care about. Alas.

Magnus

Ok, I restarted my computer (admittedly, for the first time in probably a week) and the game is running like butter again. So bizarre.

That's disheartening... the common wisdom anywhere you look (including my boyfriend, who lives/breathes hardware and tech, largely due to his job) was that an i5 vs an i7 wasn't going to make much of a difference at all, and that the GPU was the big component to care about. Alas.

In general that holds true, just with WoW being an older game (programming practices are somewhat different now as hardware has evolved), and an MMO at that, it's not nearly as optimized as many modern games on newer engines would be.

At least as far as my understanding goes.

Ok, I restarted my computer (admittedly, for the first time in probably a week) and the game is running like butter again. So bizarre.

Probably a memory leak then of some sort, and/or just needed to be refreshed. I know I had huge problems with Chrome on my computer gradually sucking up more and more memory last year until one release or another fixed it. Before then, I had to restart at least every 2-3 days.

Magnus

Man, level 910 for Relinquished stuff. My alts will be in love. And 910 should be pretty sufficient for us 'decent' players to finally get those artifact challenge appearances I hope! I want that Were-bear form bad, and the Paladin one.

In general that holds true, just with WoW being an older game (programming practices are somewhat different now as hardware has evolved), and an MMO at that, it's not nearly as optimized as many modern games on newer engines would be.

At least as far as my understanding goes.

I'm guessing it would be a monumental task to re-program/re-build the game with new, optimized practices in mind to take advantage of modern hardware in smarter ways? And one that wouldn't necessarily yield tons of goodwill/ROI?

Jag

Anyone have a problem updating addons with Curse? Wonder if I need to switch over to the Twitch client.

I'm guessing it would be a monumental task to re-program/re-build the game with new, optimized practices in mind to take advantage of modern hardware in smarter ways? And one that wouldn't necessarily yield tons of goodwill/ROI?

Yeah the ROI isn't there. If it works well enough now, why spend thousands of man hours trying to fix what isn't broken (and likely break at least some things in the process)? It'd be much easier to start from the ground up with a blank slate.

I mean look at the backpack example. Supposedly they've tried to expand it before, but it's so tied up in spaghetti code that touching it causes numerous other things to break. Rather than re-engineer all that, its simpler and much more efficient to just keep giving players bigger other bags.

Major software development on a project like WoW which likely has millions of lines of code isn't easy. Especially since it's a "live" product. MMO programming might easily be some of the most difficult out there.

There's some other great examples of this principle in other games as well. EVE Online for instance, had the notorious POS (player-owned star base) code. Instead of trying to fix it directly, the development team has simply inserted a new methodology of coding structures that's more adaptable and able to be built upon. Eventually POS will be removed completely as the other structures they develop and put into the game match the capability of POS. But it's something that has to be transitioned and rolled out slowly, so both players have time to adapt, and developers have time to spot problems. Straight ripping out a feature and replacing it with a new one that doesn't match or exceed what the old one could do is also a sure way to gain ill-will from your audience.

Azzurri

Right before the cutscene Alleria
just casually mentions Xera locked her in a fucking cell.

It would be pretty great if the next expac the primary antagonist is
the Army of Light. Turalyon final boss.

She deserved it :D

Btw, Turalyon is pretty bad ass and his model looks so good.

Another thing I really hate navigating with out flying

Skab

Right before the cutscene Alleria
just casually mentions Xera locked her in a fucking cell.

It would be pretty great if the next expac the primary antagonist is
the Army of Light. Turalyon final boss.

If you think that's even a possibility of where things are going, then you haven't been paying attention :)

Syf

Banned
Yeah.
Xe'ra dying and the Legion being taken care of are both just opening the door for N'zoth to emerge with two of the strongest opposing forces out of the picture and the players canonically away from Azeroth too.
It's a good way to lead into the next expac. I hope the 8.0 pre-patch
is about us returning to Azeroth to find N'zoth & Azshara invading with their forces, and possibly already taken over some areas considering how long we'll have been away for by then.

Anyway I'm super happy with 7.3 so far and can't wait to see how it progresses over the next couple months. Only complaint is Argus is a pain to navigate with no flying and mobs everywhere.

Yeah.
Xe'ra dying and the Legion being taken care of are both just opening the door for N'zoth to emerge with two of the strongest opposing forces out of the picture and the players canonically away from Azeroth too.
It's a good way to lead into the next expac. I hope the 8.0 pre-patch
is about us returning to Azeroth to find N'zoth & Azshara invading with their forces, and possibly already taken over some areas considering how long we'll have been away for by then.

Anyway I'm super happy with 7.3 so far and can't wait to see how it progresses over the next couple months. Only complaint is Argus is a pain to navigate with no flying and mobs everywhere.

I'm sure the next expansion will focus heavily on either
the return of the Lich King or the rise of Azshara. We're overdue for Azshara, and I dislike the canonical inconsistency about how powerful she is/was. I was pretty certain we were going to dive into Azshara with Legion since we're literally on her doorstep, but apparently not.

Pretty odd that you get your cache, and now you can (and I have twice) get account bound 880 gear for classes you don't even have (at 110), rather than getting something useful for the class that needs it.

Top Bottom