• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's first three-parent baby has been born

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sorry if old...

http://news.sky.com/story/worlds-first-baby-born-using-dna-from-three-parents-10595543

Fertility doctors say the world's first baby has been born using DNA from three parents in a technique hailed as "revolutionary".

The controversial "three-parent" technique allows people with rare genetic mutations to have healthy babies.

The baby called Abrahim, whose mother and father are Jordanian, was born in Mexico with the help of a New-York based team led by Dr John Zhang.

The mother has genes for Leigh syndrome, a fatal disorder that affects the developing nervous system.

Her son was conceived from an egg containing nuclear DNA from his parents, and mitochondrial DNA from a "second" mother - an unknown female donor.

The technique has been approved in the UK - but this time it was altered slightly because as Muslims the parents were against the destruction of embryos.

The aim was to replace defective mitochondrial DNA that may have condemned Abrahim to Leigh syndrome.

Pretty amazing stuff.

"Her son was conceived from an egg containing nuclear DNA from his parents, and mitochondrial DNA from a "second" mother - an unknown female donor."

Should've named him Anakin Nukewalker.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
QreEwpG.jpg

The Guf is full again, Abbie.

TissueBox

Let the genetic engineering begin!!

AAHEM-HHURGH.

That said, this is a cool thing for Abrahim. *delivers congratulation pizza*

YourMaster

Doesn't count. Wake me up when a baby is born with nuclear DNA. This sounds like a procedure I could have preformed if somebody would lend me a microscope and a tiny syringe.

blakep267

Do you say this to everyone undergoing IVF?
Yeah I do. Your free to spend your money however you want but if for example you've been trying to have children many many times and it doesn't work out, and you ask me or post about it on a forum if ask the question, why not adopt

I'm not saying your a bad person if you dont

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah I do. Your free to spend your money however you want but if for example you've been trying to have children many many times and it doesn't work out, and you ask me or post about it on a forum if ask the question, why not adopt

To some people, the genetic propagation part of having children is very important

Adoption is cool. Most people still believe in biological mysticism when it comes to having children, though.

I hope that they keep tabs on the family and see if it was successful in the long term.

Still though, great to see some progress on this. Could help a lot of families.

I know that. I'd love to have my own kids but if I can't, I'm not going to opt to have another third party's Dan thrown into the mix.

So you'll have a third party's kid in the mix but not the base DNA?

kswiston

This sounds like the same procedure you use for cloning, with the added step that you are fertilizing an egg before doing the nucleus swap.

Cool, but not really a 3 parent child in the way that I thought it was going to be.

Never heard of it.

A few perspectives.

Islamic adoptional jurisprudence

Raising a child who is not one's genetic child is allowed and, in the case of an orphan, even encouraged. But, according to the Islamic view, the child does not become a true child of the "adoptive" parents. For example, the child is named after the biological, not adoptive, father. The child is also a non-Mahram to members of the adoptive family.[1] Thus many Muslims say that it is forbidden by Islamic law to adopt a child (in the common sense of the word), but permissible to take care of another child, which is translated into Arabic as Arabic: kafala‎‎. The adoptive child can become a mahram to his adopted family, if he or she is breast-fed by the adoptive mother before the age of two (see milk kinship).[2] There can also be confusion between a child that has been orphaned and one who has been abandoned but is presumed to have living parents.[3]

Adoption in Islam

As far as the concept of helping the poor and the orphan is concerned, Islam not only agrees to it but even highly recommends it. In all types of charities, the orphan and the poor are mentioned as the prime eligible recipients for such help. In case of the rights of the orphan children, Allâh is very severe; for example, He says,

“Those who `swallow' the property of the orphans unjustly, are actually devouring fire into their bellies and they shall enter the burning fire.” (4:10)

Islam fully supports the concept of helping the orphan and poor, and taking them under your wings. If there is no one to take care of the orphan and poor children, then this responsibility falls upon the Islamic government. I won’t be wrong in saying that as far as the concept of adoption is concerned, there is no difference between Islam and the West.

However, when we come to the implications and legal consequences of adoption, we find some differences between Islam and the present system in the West.

In the Western system, adoption does not only mean that a child is given into the care of another person or persons; it also means that the adopted child will carry the family name of the adoptive parent. For example, if a child named John Stuart Mill is adopted by Mr. William Bourassa, he will become John W. Bourassa. If this adoption took place in infancy, then most probably the child will never come to know his real genealogy or his real family name.

It is this part of the adoption procedure that Islam does not accept. In pre-Islamic Arabia, the adoption system was similar to what we now see in the West: the child even takes the family name of the adoptive father. When Islam came, it categorically rejected this procedure.

Who Says Islam Prohibits Adoption?

The question of adoption in Islam is one that is very often misunderstood.

Islam does not prohibit adoption. Rather, Islam provides teachings to allow adoption while, at the same time, preserving the integrity of the family line.

Adoption of children for the purpose of bringing them up and caring for them is not only permissible, but in fact a very good and blessed deed, especially in the case of orphans and foundlings.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “I and the one who sponsors an orphan are like this in Paradise.” Then he joined between his index and middle fingers.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5304)]

Adoption is certainly not prohibited. What is unlawful is to attribute one’s adopted child to oneself, as if there is a biological relationship. This is because Islam seeks to safeguard biological lineage and not confuse lineage.

blakep267

I hope that they keep tabs on the family and see if it was successful in the long term.

Still though, great to see some progress on this. Could help a lot of families.

So you'll have a third party's kid in the mix but not the base DNA?
I'm looking at it more from the area of , maybe I'm not meant to have my own kid and I can then adopt another in need

Bamboo

Adoption is cool. Most people still believe in biological mysticism when it comes to having children, though.
That's exactly what bothers me about the issue, and the news itself. Maybe I'm biased, and of course there are exceptions, but most of the time IVF is hard for me to understand.

Cool to see what's possible, though.

This is not like that, like, at all. But I share the same concerns. Even better, they were able to achieve this without destruction of human embryos, assuaging those with such ethical considerations.

Yeah, that's also pretty remarkable. I had no idea we were at a point where we could do that.

YourMaster

Amazing, I can't wait to see the next 20 yrs of medical breakthroughs

This really isn't such a special technique. It's basically a child from 2 parents, but in the cell of another. Yes, there's mitochondrial DNA there, but that's not part of the cell nucleus. This technique can't be used to give brown eyes to a child of 2 blue-eyed parents.

Designer babies here we come!

yep, and once we really get going (when CRISPR techniques are close to 100% accurate) we should consider banning "natural" babies IMO. no one's health should be risked, every possible genetic disease should be edited out, and at least some positive traits should be edited in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom