• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's first three-parent baby has been born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This really isn't such a special technique. It's basically a child from 2 parents, but in the cell of another. Yes, there's mitochondrial DNA there, but that's not part of the cell nucleus. This technique can't be used to give brown eyes to a child of 2 blue-eyed parents.
I think what's impressive about the technique is having such significant manipulation to an egg cell lead to a healthy child, which has been a significant concern with procedures similar to this - ie, clone deterioration (although those issues have also largely been solved by improving technology).

Future

How long till beautiful people can sell part of their egg/seed to add features to parents babies

Edit
This really isn't such a special technique. It's basically a child from 2 parents, but in the cell of another. Yes, there's mitochondrial DNA there, but that's not part of the cell nucleus. This technique can't be used to give brown eyes to a child of 2 blue-eyed parents.

Damn you and your excellent knowledge of science!

43b35_ORIG-tumblr_llxnuh5zO71qcbyxzo1_500.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought that this had already happened (using three DNAs). Or was it the alteration to avoid the disease what makes it unique.

Tubobutts

yep, and once we really get going (when CRISPR techniques are close to 100% accurate) we should consider banning "natural" babies IMO. no one's health should be risked, every possible genetic disease should be edited out, and at least some positive traits should be edited in.
How much would this cost?

Majmun

I wonder if gay parents will ever get the possibility to get a child that consists out of their DNA.

PSqueak

Banned
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but using science to have another women's mitochondrial DNA is more acceptable?

Prolly means some weird "keeping the bloodline going" cultural, religious or regional issue, rather than forbidding adoption.

It's too late for me, but it's nice to see these things happening. Somehow I feel this is not going to prevent random genetic mutation or trisomies or deletions.

And go to hell with your just adopt bullshit. Life doesn't work that way. The adoption process isn't easy. Lucky you for not being fucked by your own DNA.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Born from a woman with an unknown female donor? I have images of the baby from the future.

solid_snake_by_rbf5247.jpg

Soldier one was born

I love the fact that his name is actually Abrahim

the scifi novel writes itself

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but using science to have another women's mitochondrial DNA is more acceptable?

Islam is way more lenient on abortion and genetic engineering as long as it isn't harmful and follows a set of other rules

YourMaster

So could this be used to let gay couples have children where both parents genes are present?

Again, nope. The topic title is really misleading for people. The procedure is basically this:
1. Have an egg fertilized normally. You know: SEX
2. Suck the egg out of the female. (Actually they started with this step, but whatever.)
3. Tell the woman her egg sucks and that she makes bad eggs. Suck out DNA from egg and toss the rest.
4. With a different vacuum cleaner suck a fresh egg out of a virgin who makes good eggs.
5. Tell this second woman nobody wants her babies. Suck the DNA out of this egg and toss it.
6. Stuff the DNA from the sex-couple into this now empty egg.
7. Use defibrillator to bring egg back to live, and stuff it in a woman. Anybody will do really.
8. Wait nine months for baby with no mutant properties.

Yeah I do. Your free to spend your money however you want but if for example you've been trying to have children many many times and it doesn't work out, and you ask me or post about it on a forum if ask the question, why not adopt

I'm not saying your a bad person if you dont

The story is interesting more for the scientific advancement and implications. You don't read a story about water on Europa and say "Well ok, but why not just get water from Earth?"

Adopting is great and all, I have four adopted siblings, but this thread isn't really about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom