• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's Oldest Woman enjoys six days in the spotlight... and then passes away herself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
On April 1, it was reported that Misao Okawa, who was 117, passed away. That meant Gertrude Weaver of Arkansas became the oldest woman at 116 years old, born in 1898.

It was reported she enjoyed being read news articles about her being the oldest woman on the planet, and that it was a special treat for her to be in the spotlight about this record.

Sadly, she passed away today, merely six days after she obtained the record. There are now only three people on the entire planet left still born in the 1800s.

The oldest person alive now falls to Jeralean Talley, who turns 116 next month and was born in 1899. She lives in Detroit.

That's a shame, but probably not too uncommon in this kind of scenario. The last people born in the 19th century are passing sway. Crazy to think about.

RIP. They witnessed so much history and technological advancements.

Amir0x

Banned
How sure are we that these people are as old as they say? Record keeping wasnt like it is now back then.

There's an organization that verifies these things. If they cannot definitively confirm a date, they'll say so and will say "we believe she was born around such day, but we cannot be certain." They won't have the record then.

what a hell of a life.

and only three people left from the last 1800's. Depressing.

image.php

living long enough to go from horse drawn carriage to car. to seeing the birth of the airplane, the telephone, light bulb. what a time to be alive.

Interesting fact, I was once a World Record Holder myself. No joke. For a brief time, I held the record for World's Youngest Man. It was pretty awesome and I'm super proud of it, but I only held it for a short time before some arrogant, upstart kid took my title. I'm not sure if he still has it, though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
what a hell of a life.

and only three people left from the last 1800's. Depressing.

It's not like if were in Children of Men where they have a record for the youngest person.

With the amount of chemicals we're letting food companies give us, I don't expect many to live to that age unless they watch their consumption.

Wow. It blows my mind to learn that there are people still alive today who were born before 1900. Just think of what they've seen in their lifetimes. When they were young, things we take for granted like cars were a rare commodity, and films were short, black and white, soundless novelties. Then look at the massive industries cars and films have become today. Nevermind computers. The concept of a computer must have been unfathomable to them for most of their lives, and now look at the phones most of us carry around in our pockets.

JCX

I actually used to go to the same church as Miss Talley growing up. Crazy that to know the world's oldest woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom