• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's Top 50 Restaurants 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners/

The list:

1. El Celler de Can Roca, Spain
2. Noma, Denmark
3. Osteria Francescana, Italia
4. Mugaritz, Spain
5. Eleven Madison Park, New York
6. D.O.M., Brasil
7. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, U.K.
8. Arzak, Spain
9. Steirereck, Austria
10. Vendôme, Germany
11. Per Se, New York
12. Frantzén/Lindeberg, Sweden
13. The Ledbury, U.K.
14. Astrid y Gastón, Peru
15. Alinea, Chicago
16. L'Arpège, France
17. Pujol, Mexico
18. Le Chateaubriand, France
19. Le Bernardin, New York
20. Narisawa Tokio, Japan
21. Attica, Australia
22. Nihonryori Ryugin, Japan
23. L'Astrance, France
24. L'Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon, France
25. Hof Van Cleve, Belgium
26. Quique Dacosta, Spain
27. Le Calandre, Italy
28. Mirazur, France
29. Daniel, New York
30. Aqua, Germany
31. Biko, Mexico
32. Nahm, Thailand
33. The Fat Duck Bray, U.K.
34. Fäviken, Sweden
35. Oud Sluis, Netherlands
36. Amber, China
37. Vila Joya, Portugal
38. Restaurant Andre, Singapore
39. 8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana, China
40. Combal.Zero, Italy
41. Piazza Duomo, Italy
42. Schloss Schauenstein, Switzerland
43. Mr & Mrs Bund, China
44. Asador Etxebarri, Spain
45. Geranium, Denmark
46. Mani São, Brazil
47. The French Laundry, Yountville
48. Quay, Australia
49. Septime, France
50. Central, Peru

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/29/world-top-50-restaurants-2013/#ixzz2RxxaWMkk

Meier

Interesting. Chicago is usually considered THE foodie destination in the US nowadays (and has been for years) but you wouldn't know it from this particular list (1 Chicago vs 4 New York).

Edit: That was my impression at least although clearly I was incorrect!

Acidote

It's nice to see three Spanish restaurants in the Top 10. And El Celler taking the first place is not surprising considering how good were the three brothers working on every aspect of the business for the last two or three years.

Look at all the places that I'll never be able to visit.

I'm sure you can if you really want to. Famous "El Bulli" had a 300€ pax menu which is obviously a lot of money, but affordable if you really want to live that kind of experience and i assume some of those restaurants on the list must be like that.

The waiting list on some of those places must be awful though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. Chicago is usually considered THE foodie destination in the US nowadays (and has been for years) but you wouldn't know it from this particular list (1 Chicago vs 4 New York).

I would say that having excellent cousine City Wide is different than having a few elite restaurants.

Zia

Interesting list. The lack of David Chang's a little surprising -- if I could live at Ssäm and Noodle Bar I would. Unsurprising is how Euro-centric the list is. If Michelin were to do a similar straight international fifty there'd be several more Japanese restaurants on there.

Alinea is my only "destination" in Chicago. NYC has several places I'd fly in for.

entremet

That's incorrect. Chicago has been an up and comer, NYC is still the fine dining capital in the US.

But before city warz, NY, SF, and Chicago are probably the meccas of fine dining.

I always assume that these kind of places have insane prices and you need to book months in advance, was that true for the place you went?

depends on how you define insane. they are pricey yes but i would say most of us could afford it if we really wanted to. it's an experience something you do every other year.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
noma knocked off the top spot was surprising. i was recently in #3 and my god it was awesome.
Not really. I was expecting them to be even lower after the food poisoning "scandal". I'm surprised to see Fat Duck at 33. I still want to check them out soon as I visit UK.

What happened to El Bulli?
Closed for time being. They will Re-open at some point.

Edit. I wonder why there are so few JP restaurants. Japan has insane amount of three star restaurants so you would assume more then two in top 50.

Celler taking the top spot is well deserved. Amazing place.

I've been lucky enough to go to 8 places on the list. Hoping I can get to San Sebastian this year to try a few more!

Rad-

The list goes up to 100 btw. I've been in #67 and the food wasn't even that special. The atmosphere was amazing though.

Not really. I was expecting them to be even lower after the food poisoning "scandal". I surprised to see Fat Duck at 33. I still want to check them out soon as I visit UK..

oh i didn't know about that and the fat duck is on my list for my next UK trip.

Damn that sucks. Now I'm gonna have to dream about going to a new restaurant that I'll probably never be able to get into .

Acidote

El Bulli closed, at least for a few years. It's supposed to reopen in 2014 as elBulliFoundation, not as a restaurant as it used to be, but as a "gastronomic investigation center" and a place without reservations, timetables, etc. They will just open to certain people when they have something to show.

Meier

That's incorrect. Chicago has been an up and comer, NYC is still the fine dining capital in the US.

Yeah, that must be the case. I was surprised Next wasn't listed along with a few other high-end Chicago restaurants. NYC definitely dominates the top 100 -- Alinea is the only one on there and it's fallen (it was #6 in 2011 apparently).

Davidion

I mean, Chicago's no slouch when it comes to food, but I'm not sure if I've ever heard that sentiment.

That having been said, I'm surprised Eleven Madison Park is ranked so high.

Interesting list. The lack of David Chang's a little surprising -- if I could live at Ssäm and Noodle Bar I would. Unsurprising is how Euro-centric the list is. If Michelin were to do a similar straight international fifty there'd be several more Japanese restaurants on there.

Honestly, as much as I like Ssam's bar, it's not even remotely in the league of even the other entries in the NYC category. Noodle bar isn't even the same universe, imo.

Kisaya

I wonder what it'd be like to eat a $195 meal. Does the food even taste good? :l

Anyway, good to see NY have its place on the list :>

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man I would love to goto Le Bernadin next month when I go to New York. I hope I can snag a reservation.

Zia

Honestly, as much as I like Ssam's bar, it's not even remotely in the league of even the other entries in the NYC category. Noodle bar isn't even the same universe, imo.

Oh yeah, Noodle Bar (along with Milk Bar!) is just one of my regular casual eats. I could survive on Chilled Spicy Noodles and tamales. I disagree in regards to Ssäm, but I now see that it made the long list along with the Sydney restaurant (which I'm honestly not all that familiar with).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
4 for me.

I prefer Jean George to Daniel in just about every way, and I certainly prefer Per Se to Eleven Madison Park.

Though, I go to EMP for cocktails 2-3 times a month. Amazing bar at that one and the atmosphere can't be beat.

I've also been to Masa in the top 100... really overpriced. Seems like you are paying for rarity of fish more than you are taste or atmosphere.

slider

The Fat Duck, Astrid & Gaston and Central.

IMO A&G was the worst of those but I did only go the once.

I'd love to go check them all out.

Edit: And looking over the list not many are hugely out of reach... *drool*

Zia

Are any of these "hole in the wall" or is it all Michelin bullshit?

What's "Michelin bullshit?" As in, "Not Doritos tacos?" Because there's a Michelin-starred place I go to like once a month to get an $11 burger and fries.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What's "Michelin bullshit?" As in, "Not Doritos tacos?" Because there's a Michelin-starred place I go to like once a month to get an $11 burger and fries.

I mean, there are for example Ramen places, the Sushi place in the Tokyo subway (Jiro Dreams of Sushi) and untold sandwich, soup, rice, meat, local specialty places all over the world, where you can have a world-class food experience that eschews or simply does not require white tablecloth or Michelin stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom