• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's Top 50 Restaurants 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Alinea is my only "destination" in Chicago. NYC has several places I'd fly in for.
What?

Naha, Next, Blackbird, Everest, L2O, Spiaggia.
I mean, there are for example Ramen places, the Sushi place in the Tokyo subway (Jiro Dreams of Sushi) and untold sandwich, soup, rice, meat, local specialty places all over the world, where you can have a world-class food experience that eschews or simply does not require white tablecloth or Michelin stars.
Which is why the "Michelin Bib Gourmand" exists.

Heel

I mean, there are for example Ramen places, the Sushi place in the Tokyo subway (Jiro Dreams of Sushi) and untold sandwich, soup, rice, meat, local specialty places all over the world, where you can have a world-class food experience that eschews or simply does not require white tablecloth or Michelin stars.

I think they call that "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives"

Talon

I think they call that "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives"
Completely different.

Places at the level of Ssam Bar, Mission Chinese, The Publican, Girl & the Goat, Hot Chocolate et al get the Bib Gormound, which is effectively the "great cuisine at reasonable prices without all the fuss" designation.

Dash27

Eleven Madison Park, New York

Wow didnt realize this was so highly rated. I knew it was good but I thought Per Se was the tops in NY. Not that I follow this all closely...

Thorakai

I'm surprised Mexico made it to the list, twice even! Though I'm satisfied from just eating from street vendors and buying from holes in the walls.

7959669548_96d230d019_z.jpg

You'll get 'em next year Guy!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
What?

Which is why the "Michelin Bib Gourmand" exists.

I don't think of any of those as destination... well, L2O was back when Laurent was still around. Fwiw, I think NYC has 3 destination eateries.. JG, Daniel and Le Bernadin while phenomenal don't rise to that level for me.

Chicago has a really good food scene, probably 3rd to San Fran.

StoOgE

Jiro's pkace has 3 stars. The sister restaurant has 2.

???

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was just at Atelier Crenn in SF this past weekend. Two star Michelin, we had an excellent time. Gonna hit French Laundry again later this November. Hopefully it'll be white truffle season at the time!

Zia

I was just giving you a hard time. I think the list is comprised mostly of fine dining establishments.

What?

I might come into town for a rib burger from Blackbird. ; ) I grew up eating peasant food -- from shawarma carts in Arabia, tamale stands in TX. So I'm a total street food urchin. We recently got the chef's table at Volt and the whole time I was thinking that, while I appreciated the experience, I would've preferred a roast beef sandwich from Lunchbox. My favorite "new places" are probably Mission Street NYC and Haven, a Maryland pizzeria opened by some guy once involved with Frank Pepe's.

XiaNaphryz

I still hope to go to Per Se one day, anyone here ever been?

From what I've heard it's pretty much French Laundry East, in which case the full tasting menu is pretty damn good. Best I ever had no question, but I have yet to go to any of the other top fine dining places out of the US.

I wouldn't mind the money (and you have to go beyond 200€ if you actually want to drink something aswell) but often reality and the reputation/rating don't match. For a birthday dinner we went to a rather "fancy" which was rated in the Gault-Millau and 20 people left disappointed. The service was excellent and the atmosphere aswell but the food was lacking and after "complaining" the cook was not even willing to admit he made a mistake and apologize. Serving meat raw and cold without asking how people want it must not happen at this price range neither does risotto with a hint of chocolate have to be drained in chocolate (maybe that is a subjective complaint but again the majority did not like this).

Serious question, but what are the portions like at these places?

Do you actually leave sated or is it more about the taste experience?

But Jiro has three stars.

depends, in many places you get small dishs but many of them. i have never left a place like that feeling hungry, far from it.

XiaNaphryz

fancimus

I really need to try EMP again...I haven't been since they earned 3 stars and changed their menu format and price. Friends of mine that have tried both Per Se and EMP prefer EMP...one of these days I'll save up and find out myself.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
noma knocked off the top spot was surprising. i was recently in #3 and my god it was awesome.

Have you ever been to Schloss Schauenstein? (#42 and the only one in Switzerland) I really want to check it out now, don't personally know anyone who's been though.

Have you ever been to Schloss Schauenstein? (#42 and the only one in Switzerland) I really want to check it out now, don't personally know anyone who's been though.

oh yes :) not too long ago and it was fantastic i can only recommend it, especially if 300CHF ain't shit to you.

Talon

I might come into town for a rib burger from Blackbird. ; ) I grew up eating peasant food -- from shawarma carts in Arabia, tamale stands in TX. So I'm a total street food urchin. We recently got the chef's table at Volt and the whole time I was thinking that, while I appreciated the experience, I would've preferred a roast beef sandwich from Lunchbox. My favorite "new places" are probably Mission Street NYC and Haven, a Maryland pizzeria opened by some guy once involved with Frank Pepe's.
Then Chicago's just the food town for you. It's definitely the most casual food scene of the big food destinations in the city. With the exception of about 6 or so of the elite downtown restaurants, you can walk-in to anywhere in jeans and a button up. I have never, ever felt underdressed in a restaurant in this city.

Avec, Girl & the Goat, Publican, Longman & Eagle, etc. are largely about comfortable, great quality food from great providers/sources that you can share with friends.

Every tasting menu that I've had (10-13 courses), I've been beyond stuffed at the end of it. And that's after 2-3 hours of dining.

Akira

Like others said, Jiro got 3 stars. There are also several hole in the wall restaurants all over the world, including some ramen places, that got a Michelin star.

StoOgE

I typically leave not wanting to eat for a few days, especially from the French places.

If you do a 3 or 4 course you are looking at pretty decent sized portions of rich food.

If you go to a tasting you will have 10-20 plates of 3-4 bites each. Per Se seems to revel in making you explode with desert at the end. I think they brought out 5 or 6 off menu desert courses.

I've eaten at 6 3* places (some more than once), a good chunk of 1* eateries (maybe 10-15?) and a good number of places that would merit a * if Michelin had a guide out in their city...

I have left hungry one time in all of that just once... and that was from Masa which was about 15 pieces of sushi over the course of two hours

.GqueB.

Banned
Why do they list "New York" instead of "United States?" Everything else on there has the country of the establishment, not its city.

Because everyone is familiar with NY and know where it is I'd imagine.

I wonder what it'd be like to eat a $195 meal. Does the food even taste good? :l

Anyway, good to see NY have its place on the list :>

More often than not it does. I've been to a few expensive places via my girlfriend who has wealthy parents who enjoy fine dining and our own splurging here and there. I've only walked away disappointed maybe once.

I know this list is bullshit because the mexican restaurant a few miles down the street is the best restaurant in the world.

Lol. I've always been curious to try a 'top-tier' restaurant though. I hear the difference in quality is vast. In other words, there is excellent food reasons these are usually picked.

The Michelin guide is, by its very nature, a publicity guide made to further its own agenda. It is very euro-centric (namely, French-centric due to the fact it's a French company); and while it may still be considered a standard, it has largely become antiquated by those who don't worship French cuisine. Even classically-trained legends like Marco Pierre White mostly scoff when Michelin stars are mentioned nowadays.

It has a purpose... but it is not the be-all/end-all litmus test it would have you believe.

andycapps

Ctrl F "atlanta"

:/

Michelin hasn't made their way to Atlanta yet. Atlanta is pretty casual too, and "pretentious" type restaurants have mostly died out there in favor of more laid back places that serve great food, but at 1/4 the price.

Interesting list as always.

There are very obvious flaws in how it is made but I think that as a whole it gives a fair representation of the food industries trends among its elite players.

The vote gathering circuit though is one I would love to see gotten rid of. You'll see the MAD food become less and less popular with something like MADRID Fusion or similar taking its place again as the prominent event.

My prediction for next year is to see Central/South American restaurants rise even higher with Attica going into the top ten as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom