• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
joker.jpg

Gigglepoo

I think Gambon was great in Prisoner of Azkaban but then got some really dumb direction in Goblet of Fire and the effect never truly wore off.

He never read the books and he is a talented actor so I never knew how much of his performance was his own doing and how much was lousy directing. You're probably right. His wardrobe didn't help matters, either.

Richard Harris also wasn't too hot. It's strange how poor Dumbledore was represented because most of the casting was aces.

Emma Watson as Belle.

A pretty, bookish woman portraying a pretty, bookish character is bad?

People need to learn how to separate acting skill from shit writing.
No actor(s) could have made the Star Wars prequels work with the shit material they were given.

Ewan McGregor comes off the best in those movies and even that was a fucking miracle.

Hyun Sai

Oh oh oh how could I forget the worst villain of the year, Erik Laray Harvey was just incredible bad as Stryker.

judas-bullet-diamondback-luke-cage.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
I had erased this performance from my mind.

Damn it, SpaceWolf!

DON'T FIGHT IT, MY BOY.

DON'T YOU DARE FIGHT IT.

tumblr_n6tdbpAz7O1r05bkco1_500.gif

X-Men First Class was all over the map in terms of casting. A few solid choices like McAvoy, Fassbender, Bacon, and Lawrence (she was better when she wasn't jammed into so much of a central role) - but some of the other choices.... eeesh

Yeah....

However, to throw January Jones a bone here...I imagine it must be pretty damn difficult to get too invested in a character who basically amounted to "Woman Who Stands Around In Her Underwear"

Jj2x9so.jpg

I'll give them both a pass for those films. Not even the best actors in the world could have salvaged those scripts.

vfObnXV.jpg

It was such a weird idea to show Anakin as a kid. They took the idea of showing his entire life way too literally.

in the making of TPM they show several auditions and they chose the worst one. some of them were way more convincing.

anyways, Lex and Joker both seemed like edgey xerox copies of Jim Carrey's The Riddler from Batman Forever

Fury451

Banned
I never bought Don Cheadle as War Machine. He really feels out of space. Too bad, he's a good actor, but miscast he is.

Don-Cheadle-as-Rhodey-in-Iron-Man-2.jpg

Yeah, he's not very compelling.

Anthony Mackie would make a great War Machine (obviously not possible), or an actor of his charisma because he gives Falcon a lot of character and plays off of Evans so well. They seem like true friends.

I don't really buy the MCU Stark/Rhodey relationship, despite Cheadle being very talented.

It was such a weird idea to show Anakin as a kid. They took the idea of showing his entire life way too literally.

Lucas apparently wanted to show an anguished Anakin that had difficulty separating from his mother as a child, thus the young age for TPM. But Lucas was also terrible at his job post-1990ish.

Azoor

Although I agree with that, it's surprising how Mila Kunis didn't immediately pop into your mind first.

It retrospect, the entire movie was miscast, but Franco was the one the stood out the most. Kunis have been in worse roles though.

X-Men First Class was all over the map in terms of casting. A few solid choices like McAvoy, Fassbender, Bacon, and Lawrence (she was better when she wasn't jammed into so much of a central role) - but some of the other choices.... eeesh
January Jones didn't do a good job, but I can sympathize with a casting director thinking she'd work as a literal ice queen.

Spoit

People need to learn how to separate acting skill from shit writing.
No actor(s) could have made the Star Wars prequels work with the shit material they were given.

Ewan McGregor comes off the best in those movies and even that was a fucking miracle.

I'll admit that I haven't seen her artsy movies, but Portman definitely dragged down the Thor movies too. Especially Thor 2

Jerm411

Megan Fox - April O'Neil
Malcolm McDowell - Dr. Sam Loomis
Jack Black - Carl Denham

Just off the top of my head....

I don't necessarily agree. I think Vaughn is a great character actor, as in he's got a good screen presence in other films. I just think season 2 was chock full of terrible dialogue.

I'd only seen him in mediocre comedies before Hacksaw Ridge and I was stunned at how good he was.

Linkura

Jesse Eisenberg: The Thread

220px-Jesse_Eisenberg_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Uhhh he was fine in the Social Network, The Squid and the Whale, and even Cafe Society, which are the films I've seen him in. Definitely hasn't been shit in every movie he's been in.

Default answer: Keanu in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Jake Lloyd in TPM.

Winner.

Bad writing aside (and it's pretty impressive to write in such a way where even Liam Neeson and Samuel L. Jackson come off crappy), Jake Lloyd's acting just made things far more unbearable. Like, if they'd plugged Haley Joel Osment in there, it would still be bad, but maybe it wouldn't be worse-than-Jar Jar bad.

The Michael Gambon posts are positively blowing me away. I adore Gambon as Dumbledore.

On the other hand, Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy was laughably awful and, for a moment or two, made me sincerely entertain the notion that the person responsible hadn't read the relevant source material for the character. Euron's importance in the novels is only going to grow and, I mean, wow, they fucked him up bad.

Henry Cavill i thought looked the part, but everything about him in Man of Steel and BvS was the confirmation that the look is about 1% of it.

Writing is shit too but he doesn't do anything right outside of the look, and even then he's starting to look like the gas fumes are from Lex's great discovery are affecting him as well

You're not gonna sway me to your side using that picture.

jelly

Henry Cavill as Superman.

man-of-steel-promo-683151-1_PRO1-512.jpg

Hollow, zero presence, can't act, no charisma. Fake Man from Uncle doesn't count, he is so dull in real life too. Seen him in enough films to judge he is a very bad choice and visually only barely just passes but still think he looks average because he brings nothing. The script, direction is not a pass for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom