• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

I could never buy David Schwimmer in Band of Brothers. He does a fine job with it, but all I can think is "nice uniform Ross."

gallery-1460634028-tv-band-of-brothers-david-schwimmer.jpg

I get his Friends persona is strong but it was good casting. Lions lead by donkeys character.

The guy who played Robocop in the reboot and was the main guy in Suicide Squad. That guy sucks.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a soul.

StayDead

I never bought Don Cheadle as War Machine. He really feels out of space. Too bad, he's a good actor, but miscast he is.

Don-Cheadle-as-Rhodey-in-Iron-Man-2.jpg

Honestly I think his problem is that War Machine is a total jobber in the MCU. I honestly don't understand why his character is even there. He's not really done anything useful since he joined haha.

I thought he was great in it.

But Schwimmer is perfect in the role of the superior officer everyone hates.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's the best actor out of the Friends cast. I just can't see him as anything other than Ross. So when he's saying something like "You are standing at the position of attention!" all I see is this:

giphy.gif

Kind of kills the suspension of disbelief for me. I feel like I'm watching a paleontologist try cosplay. I guess that's an issue for pretty much any TV actor who gets too well-known in a single role; that's just who I will see them as forever.

Henry Cavill as Superman.

man-of-steel-promo-683151-1_PRO1-512.jpg

Hollow, zero presence, can't act, no charisma. Fake Man from Uncle doesn't count, he is so dull in real life too. Seen him in enough films to judge he is a very bad choice and visually only barely just passes but still think he looks average because he brings nothing. The script, direction is not a pass for him.

He's even worse as Clark Kent where he looks like a hunky GQ Model in the latest fashions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never liked Gambon as Dumbledore and always preferred Harris (RIP). Gambon just totally fucked up Dumbledore's character and while I'm not religiously devoted to the source material, his rough schoolmaster Dumbledore doesn't make sense as the loving and loved protector of Hogwarts.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I never liked Gambon as Dumbledore and always preferred Harris (RIP). Gambon just totally fucked up Dumbledore's character and while I'm not religiously devoted to the source material, his rough schoolmaster Dumbledore doesn't make sense as the loving protector of Hogwarts.

Should have gotten Stephen Fry in for the recast. That would have been neat.

Wanderer5

Gerard Butler as the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera. Granted that movie was not good for a lot of reasons, but man he just didn't fit that role.

Fury451

Banned
twd_s1e01_02.jpg

Rick from the Walking Dead

Can't watch the show because of this casting. Loved the comic, can't stand the show.

Interesting. I think he's a great actor on the show, but the writing constantly lets him down by being indecisive on how he is season to season (or often, episode to episode).

SpaceWolf

Banned
Brandon Routh was actually a great Superman. Why'd they replace him with Henry What'shisname anyways?

Because Man of Steel was a reboot of the franchise that happened seven years later and Brandon Routh at that point was most infamously associated with an incredibly unpopular Superman film that didn't make a huge amount of money?

Although speaking of Superman Returns...

ce92ccaad9e55a9273167f6cbccae4e1.jpg

Awful. Awful, awful, awful.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen

Everyone has and will bring up how it wasn't Hayden's fault, it was the dialogue etc. However it was still terrible casting because he just wasn't intimidating. At all. Blame it on his looks, demeanour, acting ability, whatever, he just can't be taken seriously. When an angry Anakin walked into a room everyone should have been scared shitless, this is the guy who became Darth Vader for goodness sake. Hayden was as intimidating as a butterfly. Also whiny and annoying.

Because Man of Steel was a reboot of the franchise that happened seven years later and Brandon Routh at that point was most infamously associated with an incredibly unpopular Superman film that didn't make a huge amount of money?

Although speaking of Superman Returns...

ce92ccaad9e55a9273167f6cbccae4e1.jpg

Awful. Awful, awful, awful.

Yeah, I remember reviews talking about she was too attractive to play that part, and I agree. It's a problem Hollywood continues having by getting people who look like models to play the everyman. And that's not even getting to her acting.

sphinx

the piano man
Nah, blame Lucas' writing, direction, and editing. Portman was great before Star Wars, and Hayden was good in the one pre-Star Wars movie I saw him in (Life as a House).

I am gonna say it, the prequels suck because the source material sucks.

It's not Lucas or the cast,

the events of the prequels are just boring. they used 3 films to ilustrate Anakin's turn to the darkside,

we were all basically waiting for episode 3, which mostly delivered because we saw some sort of exciting conflict between obiwan and anakin. it's regarded as the better film of those three and that's because it gets the things going, plotwise

there is a reason why lucas chose episodes 4, 5 and 6 instead of 1 2 and 3. back in the 70's

I never saw the movie, but Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne just looked hilariously out of place. Then again I think Mark Wahlberg in anything is enough to put me off the film.

twd_s1e01_02.jpg

Rick from the Walking Dead

Can't watch the show because of this casting. Loved the comic, can't stand the show.

What The Fuck?

I legitimately dislike the series at this point but Andrew Lincoln/Rick is the only reason I keep going.
Daryl has completely fallen away in the last 2 seasons.

Sofia Coppola in The Godfather III

godfather-mary.jpg

Nepotism at work I guess. She's just not a good actress and whenever she delivers a line in that movie it's like nails on a chalkboard. It also doesn't help when you're sharing the screen with the likes of Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach, etc.

Cormano

Nah, blame Lucas' writing, direction, and editing. Portman was great before Star Wars, and Hayden was good in the one pre-Star Wars movie I saw him in (Life as a House).

As I get older im starting to agree with this, Hayden may not be the greatest actor, but the direction and dialogue made Hayden's performance cringeworthy. Cant blame him for the shitty lines and having to a green screen most of the time.

Sephzilla

I love Keanu as much as the next guy but An actor with a martial arts background would have a better choice, like Van Damme or
Donny Yen.

Keanu's martial arts stuff isn't bad especially when you take into account that he did all of the training for the movie in a neckbrace because he was recovering from spinal fusion surgery.

Oh? Hadn't heard about this. What's he been getting up to?
I can't find the right link but I remember reading how he goes to bars hoping people recognise him and harasses women too. I recall reading a moment where a woman turned around and he said something like "Oh, your tits are small, aren't they?"

Maybe it's not true but given some interviews, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hearing what a cunt Henry Cavill is in person made me wish he wasn't cast as Supes, tbh.

Between the weirdly racist undertones in the Wonder Woman thread and this, maybe stick to hating on the movies instead of the people involved with them.

Yeah, I remember reviews talking about she was too attractive to play that part, and I agree. It's a problem Hollywood continues having by getting people who look like models to play the everyman.

I don't recall the attractive thing. Age was definitely a oddity considering she's a 22 year old actress meant to be Margot Kidder's Lois in her late 30s.

Sofia Coppola in The Godfather III

godfather-mary.jpg

Nepotism at work I guess. She's just not a good actress and whenever she delivers a line in that movie it's like nails on a chalkboard. It also doesn't help when you're sharing the screen with the likes of Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach, etc.

May be getting the story mixed up, but think that was part nepotism, part short notice due to the previously cast actresses leaving the film (I believe it was Winona Ryder).

finley83

Banned
I love Keanu as much as the next guy but An actor with a martial arts background would have a better choice, like Van Damme or
Donny Yen.

I'm not sure why but now I'm imagining Jackie Chan in the lead role. Maybe in an alternate universe version with Sean Connery as Morpheus and Michael Ironside as Agent Smith

Amy Adams as Lois Lane
Wow. Yeah. And I usually like her in most of her roles, too.

Everyone has and will bring up how it wasn't Hayden's fault, it was the dialogue etc. However it was still terrible casting because he just wasn't intimidating. At all. Blame it on his looks, demeanour, acting ability, whatever, he just can't be taken seriously. When an angry Anakin walked into a room everyone should have been scared shitless, this is the guy who became Darth Vader for goodness sake. Hayden was as intimidating as a butterfly. Also whiny and annoying.
It's kind of telling that the CGI versions of Anakin on The Clone Wars and later Rebels don't even look like him. With every other character, you can at least see the resemblance, despite the stylistic difference, but Anakin looks like a completely different person.

I don't recall the attractive thing. Age was definitely a oddity considering she's a 22 year old actress meant to be Margot Kidder's Lois in her late 30s.

Yeah, it was in contrast to Margot Kidder and why she worked as Lois Lane, and why Superman fell for her and how it conveyed to the audience it wasn't due to her superficial looks.

Keanu's martial arts stuff isn't bad especially when you take into account that he did all of the training for the movie in a neckbrace because he was recovering from spinal fusion surgery.

Didn't know about his injury, and this is no insult to his injury but I was found the fight scenes quite stiff, it wasn't THAT bad but it could've been better with more experienced martial artist actors.

I'm not sure why but now I'm imagining Jackie Chan in the lead role. Maybe in an alternate universe version with Sean Connery as Morpheus and Michael Ironside as Agent Smith

Lord, a Matrix Movie starring Jackie would've been pretty epic.

Between the weirdly racist undertones in the Wonder Woman thread and this, maybe stick to hating on the movies instead of the people involved with them.
I didn't intend for what I said in the WW thread to have racist undertones. I was just suggesting that given her views on certain things (Israel-Palestine situation), she'd probably dislike being mistaken for Iranian (like a few people with the same views I've met). I fucked up on implying what I meant rather than straight saying it.

Edit: I already said I fucked up in that thread anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom