• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Gaming Industry Mistakes

Derphoof

Nintendo abandoning the hardcore market since the Wii

The "hardcore market" didn't even want the Gamecube and they aren't taking up the Wii U. What makes you think a more traditional HD 7th Gen console would've done well? They've been slowly cast aside by the "hardcore" market.

Anywho, the biggest blunders seem to be:
N64 Cartridges
$599
Wii U Marketing
Xbox PR (RROD, Xbone DRM comments)

ZehDon

Gold Member
Just about everyone mistake I wanted to list has been named. I'll throw in the only one I didn't see:
-3D on 3DS. A useless feature that barely works and contradicts the entire purpose of a handheld by only working when held 100% correctly without any accidents. Led to a confusing name, issues with marketting that the 3D mode should be off for really young children, the stupid naming, and increasing the cost of the console for a stupid feature. Yes, the 3DS sells well now, but it was a big obstacle they made for themselves that they had to overcome.
I actually disagree with this. For me personally, the 3D on the 3DS is a major feature of the system, and one of the key reasons I actually purchased my 3DS. Being able to play these types of titles in 3D is still mindblowing to me, and I'd buy the system just to experience OoT in 3D because its really that good. I think the naming convention was definately not a good idea - DS 2 would've been clearer - and Nintendo admitted they set the price so high after the extremely positive PR the system got after the reveal. But in terms of 3DS mistakes, the inclusion of the 3D isn't really one of them, in my opinion. If the next DS doesn't have a 3D display, there's a good chance I'd probably not get one. Personal opinions, of course.

Indies rose from the ashes of the studios and publishers that got burned by the shift to AAA or bust. It was a terrible mistake that worked out.

I would say that the move to the AAA market is the worst mistake ever. I welcome my indie overlords, because at least the games they make have character (Hyper Light Drifter and so many more)

To me AAA games are the most boring thing out there that doesn't hold the sliest of interest anymore (games like CoD, BF4) . But because the mass appeal of triple A games, I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon

Valhelm

contribute something
Nintendo's decision to shift to the casual market was fiscally brilliant for a single generation but has essentially doomed the company to be secondary to Microsoft and Sony for decades.

kurahador

Does this count? Casey Hudson/Mac Walters vetoing Mass Effect 3 ending.
The meltdowns from fans of the series afterwards, holy shit.

Another; Final Fantasy XIV...man square-enix really fucked up royally with that game at first.

Enthus

Releasing multiple Guitar Heroes a year. Activision flooded the market and helped bury that genre.
They killed the rhythm genre before The Beatles: Rock Band could get their whole discography as DLC. I'm still salty. At least they gave us my three favorite albums (Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, and Rubber Soul) before the end.

Saucy_XL

Banned
To be fair I don't think anyone understood how big Dota/ARTs/MOBAs were going to be until LoL took off (not even Riot). So 2010-2011 or so, which was too late for a slow moving company like Blizzard.

xBladeM6x

It may not be the worst, but it sure as hell represents it.

184dvvfh7vf9dpng.png

See, the Red ring was both good and bad. On the one hand, they got a really bad rep for a while, and had to fix/replace a ton of hardware. But rushing to market really did help them get a foothold in the Western Market it likely wouldn't have got if it launched after holiday 2005.

Red ring cost microsoft over a billion dollars. There was no benefit to Microsoft. Microsoft would have been fine coming out in 2006 because Sony screwed up the PS3 price.

I feel like once-off mistakes are almost forgivable if the company learned from them. I'd probably say that Nintendo's general strategy since about 2004 has been its biggest ongoing mistake and they may only now be learning significant lessons from it. The huge success of the Wii seems to have caused them to be even more insular and ignorant of industry wide trends, and when the WiiU hit with their take on a HD console it really showed.

You'd consider their successful Wii/DS strategy to be a mistake? Not all of the ones from 1995 that led to the disastrous NGC?
:/
I'm only asking because I don't think the strategy behind Wii/DS led to the WiiU or 3DS.
The former are almost the antithesis of the latter.

Yeah, the N64 using the cartridges is arguably the biggest industry mistake from the big 3. The gaming landscape would be very different today if Nintendo had used CD-ROM.

The recent news of Nintendo passing on Skylanders as an exclusive strikes me as potentially game-shifting. Given their financial situation, if that game could've been a solid hit on Nintendo's hardware (the Wii certainly had the install base to handle it) - they might have been able to sell the WiiU to the mainstream. The fact they're now aping the concept in their future first party titles seems evident that they have regrets.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We all know that Nintendo rejecting Sony CD-ROM Drive kinda mistakes but lets get specific?

Wait... this was a smart move!

Sega CD was a relatively unsuccessful add-on that just divided Sega's customer base. Meanwhile Nintendo stayed the course with cartridges, and eventually won the 16-bit war.

So many people read the story as "Nintendo rejecting Sony created their competitor PlayStaiton" but that's not really true. PlayStation already existed within Sony and they were already destined to be competitors. Nintendo not letting Sony use the Nintendo CD as a trojan horse to get their PlayStation ambitions off the ground was probably a wise move on their part.

petran79

Banned
if you seek failure, look no further than the arcade games industry.
Mismanagement to the extreme in all aspects.

Also in some countries arcades were equated with gambling machines, therefore deemed illegal for a while.

That was quite a blow from which smaller malls werent able to recover.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
if you seek failure, look no further than the arcade games industry.
Mismanagement to the extreme in all aspects.

Also in some countries arcades were equated with gambling machines, therefore deemed illegal for a while.

That was quite a blow from which smaller malls werent able to recover.

There's still a rule that says you can't have videogames in Vancouver bars because they are "gambling machines" and that can't be mixed with liquor :/

Asbear

Banned
I would argue Nintendo holds a lot of them at the moment. I think the Wii U is actually a good idea -- Just bought one yesterday and I dig it -- but the problem is simply that, when the Wii was shown with its weird TV-remote-looking motion controller I instantly got the idea but everyone grew skeptical to whether it would really work in most kinds of games, and likewise with the Wii U.

Unfortunately this time, Nintendo doesn't really know it either. The system started out in a software draught unlike the Wii which, after all, did have Zelda TP, Wii Sports included, a good price tag alongside overpriced Xbox 360s and PS3s, and IIRC Ubisoft had a lot of cool stuff as well. That department was just weaker on the Wii U and while we have gotten a couple of really good games by now, it seems to me like Nintendo is still having trouble filling up the catalogue in the same time-span, and as a result nobody really knows about the Wii U because its games are too insignificant at the moment and they don't sell the Gamepad.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Announcing the Resident Evil series exclusively for Gamecube.
Way to hit your loyal fans in the face.
Came to say this. I absolutely adore REmake and RE4 but that was such a huge mistake, it's mind boggling. The series would be something different these days if this descision wouldn't have happend.

EGM1966

Udraw - killed company
Bluray in PS3 - i loved it but it pushed price way up and cost Sony a lot of initial marketshare
Kinect 2.0/XB1 reveal - cost MS price point advantage and poor market perception that hurt consle demand to an extent they're still trying to recover from

$599

Wii U

Showing titles years before release, creating unrealistic expectations that only hurt the game after the inevitable changes to accommodate lacking hardware are made.

Alphahawk

That Pacman, as bad as it was, sold millions.

The great video arcade oversaturation/collapse.

But most of those were returned for a full refund. Atari also produced too many units so even if it was a good port they could of never sold them all. It also soured people on the idea of home video games.

uDraw Tablet
Served only to fit a noose on the neck of THQ

uDraw Tablet on PS3 and 360. on wii it did sell quite well.pricetags in general

i think specifically for wiiu and 3ds the price tag was too high and the initial launch lineup was too bad

3ds somehow got out of it but never recovered to DS numbers and the wiiu is struggling still.

599 for ps3 and the xbone 499 price tag also did hinder the respective platform at its sales after the initial launch hype was gone.

FLAguy954

uDraw Tablet
Served only to fit a noose on the neck of THQ

Wii U late and underpowered, or basically bad call by Iwata trying to emulate their previous success without improving their relationship with third parties.

Sony going with The Cell.

May have served well in the late game, but almost every single multi-platform title suffered because of the gimped GPU and the extreme specialization needed to program for The Cell.

Wii U - the name, the tablet, the architecture, the price.

Nintendo going with the cartridge format for N64.

Saturn launch plan.

Nintendo's online incompetency (ongoing)

Nintendo abandoning the hardcore market since the Wii

I wish it were pay to win. But people just keep on paying.

Steam as silent DRM game monopoly.

Yoday

I really don't think there is a mistake bigger than Nintendo ditching Sony, especially the way they did it. Not only did they stick to cartridges, which was a mistake in itself, but the mistake also introduced a competitor into the market that completely destroyed them.

Another one for Nintendo, The fact Nintendo has never released a full fledged Pokemon RPG for any of their home console. It's like not only do they hate their consumers they also hate money.

Steroyd

I'm going to dismiss stuff like the Xbox One reveal because they didn't go through with it but that would have been the worst by far if they did, PS3's price and things like PSN hack and Xbox 360's failure rate are things that could be rectified with enough goodwill albeit neutered their potential to be better than what they actually achieved and didn't completely bury them so I'm striking them off to.

Nintendo's treatment of 3rd parties and Sega's fuck up with the Saturn/CD/32x is something else however, both seem to be irreversible that would/will have had to take more than one generation of console's to rectify.

Nintendo failing to prepare any serious attempt at a shooter during the gamecube generation was a big one. Goldeneye was one of their biggest games but they failed to make any solid attempt at following it up. I guess the perfect dark successor they expected from rare may have been intended to do that job?

If they can't turn things around then all the design decisions behind the wiiu will become even bigger ones, of course. The console is basically "Gamecube 2: Cube Harder"

Top Bottom